• Published 11th Mar 2013
  • 992 Views, 74 Comments

To Love a Pet - Creative Charmer



Wanting a pet of her own, Sweetie Belle comes across a porcupine in the woods, and creates a great friendship with the creature. However, she soon learns the hardest factor of owning a pet...

  • ...
2
 74
 992

Chapter 1: A Somber Sleepover

The sewing machine whirred as it stitched each notch of thread into the aqua blue gown. Rarity was concentrating hard on her work, so as not to mistakenly stitch the sleeve improperly and ruin her whole night's work. This dress was a very elaborate request from a pony in Vanhoover, and Rarity had stayed up late in order to get it done on time, so she did not get any sleep, making it harder to concentrate on her work. But, being the perfection-demanding pony that she is, she knew she would not be satisfied unless her work was faultless.

The sleeve was almost complete, and soon Rarity's hard work would finally be finished. "Almost there...just a little..bit..more..."

"You almost done??" Rarity jumped in fright, accidentally pulling her dress off the machine and ripping the sleeve on the sewing machine's needle. She fell to the floor, and the dress flopped over her head. She quickly pulled the dress off her head and looked at the sleeve, horrified at this disaster. She then angrily turned her attention towards Sweetie Belle, whom was hanging out at the boutique today, and was nosing around Rarity until she inadvertently caused this incident.

Sweetie Belle could see how angry Rarity was at her, and she smiled tensely. "Soooo...I guess you're not done, then?" she says, chuckling nervously.



Sweetie Belle stood where she was, looking quite disconsolate as Rarity paced back and forth in front of Sweetie Belle, haranguing her quite sternly.

"Sweetie Belle! I've been hard at work all night to get this dress perfect, and now I must begin again!"

"Well, why do you have to start over? Can't you just fix the sleeve?"

"Of course I could! But having exposed stitching will look absolutely dreadful! And that is not acceptable for the high standards of the Carousel Boutique!"

"Oh," Sweetie Belle replied nonchalantly.

"What's more, shouldn't you be in bed already? It is clearly far past your bedtime."

"But I'm not sleepy!" Sweetie protested. "And when I saw you still up, I thought we could do something together!"

Rarity sighed, both from Sweetie belle's bothersome ways and knowing that she was about to disappoint her sister.

"I'm sorry, Sweetie Belle, but I must finish this dress before tomorrow if I hope to convince my client to recommend my boutique to the other ponies in Vanhoover."

"Well, what am I supposed to do? And going to sleep isn't an option!"

Rarity was feeling the tiniest pangs of frustration from her sister's constant disruptions, so she had to think of some way for Sweetie Belle to be occupied so she could finish her work in peace.

"...why don't you play with Opal? I know you two never spend much time together," she said as she got out a new piece of fabric.

"Umm," Sweetie Belle responded, sounding unsure. "I think that's because Opal doesn't really like me."

"Well, if you two spend more time together, then I'm sure she'll get to love you the way she loves me," Rarity replied positively.

"Yeah, sure" Sweetie Belle said sarcastically. However, she knew that playing with Opal would still be better than having to go to bed, so Sweetie Belle went to go find Opal, hoping that this time will be different.

Sweetie Belle proceeded to leave Rarity's work room and traversed down the stairs to the front room of the boutique. As she walked to the center of the room, she saw Opalescence, whom was sleeping on the couch. Sweetie Belle then flipped on the light switch on the wall by the front door, turning on all the lights in the room. Opalescence was none too contented from Sweetie Belle's actions, as even though she still had her eyes closed, she looked quite irritated from the sudden exposure of luminosity disturbing her sound sleep.

As Sweetie belle walked up closer to the cat, she stopped, still containing feelings of reluctance in trying to befriend Opal. But, being the goodhearted little mare she was, Sweetie Belle felt that she had to give friendship a chance.

She walked up to Opal and waved at her. "Hi there, Opal!" she said in an affable manner. The goaded feline opened one of her eyes, looking at the smiling Sweetie Belle, and then she closed her eye again, ignoring the little filly. Sweetie Belle was a bit upset with Opal, but still she would not give up.

Sweetie Belle reached towards Opal with her hoof, in an attempt to pet the cat and get on her good side, but since this was Opal, it would not be so easy a task. Sensing something, Opal opened her eye a second time and saw Sweetie Belle's hoof drawing closer to her head. Opal did not like this one bit, and as a reaction, she stood up all fours, growling with her mouth closed. Sweetie Belle immediately stopped, retracting her hoof a bit, as Opal's actions were making her feel a bit uneasy. She started to doubt more that it was possible to befriend the surly feline, but with each letdown, Sweetie Belle grew more adamant in her aspiration for friendship with Opalescence.

"Hey, you don't have to growl at me, Opal. I just want us to be friends," she reached for Opal again, and it was this time that she had crossed the line with the cat. Opal started hissing as Sweetie's hoof drew closer, and just when she got within range, Opal swiped at Sweetie Belle with her claws, causing the filly to yelp as she bounds backwards in fright. Opal stared back at the frightened filly with her stern, unmoving eyes, showing the Sweetie Belle that she was not interested in Sweetie Belle's kindness.

After that fearsome display, Sweetie Belle finally felt that this was too much for her, and walked back up the stairs in defeat, turning off the light as she left. After she had gone, Opal laid herself back down on the couch, and dozed off to sleep once more.

Once back upstairs, Sweetie Belle headed to the guest room, where she was staying at, having elected that now felt like the right time to go to bed. She went inside, closing the door behind her. As she turned towards her bed, she yawned, admittedly feeling tired. The filly climbed into her bed and pulled the covers over as she lie down on her back. However, she did not shut her eyes, but instead stared up at the ceiling, as not all was at peace in her mind.

"Why?" she thought to herself. "Why can't Opal be more nice to me? Why can't I be friends with my sister's pet? All I want is a pet that can be a friend to me. One that will want to be my friend; one that will love me, so I can love them back..." she gave a sigh of dejectedness. "A pet should be a close friend; a loyal buddy that will enjoy being the pet of their loving owner, and will make their owner happy that the two of them are caring friends."

Sweetie Belle turned her head and looked out the window at the moon, yawning once more. She then turned onto her side, shutting her eyes as she began drifting off to sleep. But before she succumbed to her slumber, "I wish...yawn...I had a pet of my own..." the filly finally dozed off, hoping in her mind to have a perfect dream about her perfect pet.