• Published 31st Jan 2012
  • 2,460 Views, 52 Comments

My Little Persona - Krael



A crossover of MLP, and the SMT Persona games.

  • ...
7
 52
 2,460

The Waking World I

Chapter 2 - The Waking World I


Twilight’s first thought when her brain started to function again was of how absolutely terrible she felt. It was uncannily similar to the day she had experienced her first hangover, In no thanks to an idiotic prank by two ponies that would go nameless, of practically force-drinking her glass after glass spiked punch. It was not a welcome way to start her morning. Especially after having such a strange nightmare.

Letting out a hoarse groan, she cracked her eyes open, but had to instantly reshut them, the bright fluorescent lighting threatening to melt her eyes out of their sockets. Or at least that’s what it felt like to the purple unicorn. It was then that Twilight noticed even her body felt as unimaginably sensitive as her eyes. Both sheets and mattress were sending uncomfortable shivers across her everywhere. Even her ears were tuned up, every sound she made was making her headache slightly worse..

“Definitely the same…” Twilight mumbled, her voice ugly, as she took her bedsheets in hoof pulling them up over her head in a vain effort to try and protect her sensitive vision even a tiny bit more. Even through her closed eyelids the light had still managed to burn.

It was only after she had been conscious for more than a few seconds that Twilight realized that she was not home in her library. The bed was to stiff, the sheets to clean, the lights to bright, and the dull consistent beep of a machine somewhere to her left was the final clue that ran the thought home. Twilight quickly retracted the coverings off her head, opening her eyes pushing through the pain that assailed her, far too concerned with where she was to care.

White, everything was white, or at least everything in her immediate vicinity. Twilight instantly recognized a hospital room when she saw one, “Why am I in a hospital?” She wondered aloud, wincing, disgusted at how raspy her voice sounded.

‘Had she been pranked by Pinkie, and Rainbow again?’ She thought bitterly. Her miserably state felt uncannily like her first experience with alcohol. After it had happened once the purple unicorn had vowed to herself not to let it happen a second time, but she had trouble denying the suspicion when she was laying miserably in a hospital bed. But would they have gone so overboard to send her to the hospital? Even if the duo were far to prank-happy for their own good, Twilight knew the answer to be a resounding no without having to give it much thought at all. The last time the two were so sorry they helped Twilight around the library for a whole week without so much as a single complaint. There had to be another likely reason for her being hospitalized.

“Well Twilight...think back to yesterday and look at the facts.” She murmured to herself, talking aloud helping her to think straight, “It is what your best at after all.”

“One, I spent most of the day reading, because of the rain.” Twilight started, pausing briefly to look outside. She was beyond happy to find that it was still raining, and very relieved that there were no more green moons in sight, before she shook her head in dismay, “It was just a dream Twilight, don’t dwell on it to much.”

“Moving on...Two, Spike was looking for the missing,” Twilight cringed, “book in the library. Three I got mad, broke his recorder, promised to get him some gems to repay him.” Twilight cringed again when she remembered breaking her assistant’s toy. Everytime she did something rash because of her studying she always felt absolutely miserable afterwards. She had thought she was getting better at it, but apparently she still had some more work to do.

“Four,” Twilight pressed on. More interested in figuring out what was going on, than worrying about anything else, “The rich pony from Manehatten came, gave me that book, I looked in it, got sick, had to go to sleep. Maybe the book is why I’m here?” She asked herself.

It was a logical thought in Twilight’s mind, the book was obviously magic in nature, she knew that the instant it had made her sick. But she did not understand why anyone would create a magical book that made people sick. It seemed to the unicorn that such a prank, if it could even be called that, would just be malicious and cruel. Not funny, and clever like most pranks were.

Though even if the book was indeed some terrible joke, Twilight had a sneaking suspicion that the black tome was not the sole reason she was here. Nasuea, and a migraine usually did not land a pony in the hospital whatever the reason. No, it had to have been something else entirely.

The sounds of movement, and a soft sigh alerted Twilight to the fact that she was not alone in the room. Slightly surprised that she had not noticed earlier, she turned towards the source to find a sleeping Rarity uncomfortably scrunched up in a small armchair. Below the white unicorn, she saw Spike curled up into his basket tucked underneath the chair, and a wave of relief passed through Twilight immediately. Seeing the baby dragon only solidified that the, all-to-real, nightmare of the night before was just that, a nightmare, and Twilight could not have been more grateful.

But while she could realize that everything was fine, and there was nothing for Twilight to worry about. She could not help but drift to thoughts of a world without her assistant. The thought of having lost him, real or otherwise, threatened to push her into a depression. It was not a line of thinking Twilight wanted to go down, but had problems doing otherwise. Last night’s nightmare still far to fresh in her head.

Even worse, Twilight vividly remembered the part that had her questioning her decision to try and save him when she was faced with her own death because of the rash action. Was she that pathetic of a pony, to readily abandon Spike, the dragon she cared for like her own brother, when her own well being was at stake? She was the Element of Magic for Celestia’s sake, the tie that bound all the others to each other. If she was willing to abandon Spike in his time of need, what was to say she would not do the same to anypony else.

A sudden eagerness to leave the hospital, and get back to her library filled the unicorn. She felt utterly alone in the harsh, sterile environment. She wanted to curl up in her own bed with a book, and forget everything about magic books, nightmares, and her own ineptitude.

Twilight muffled a sob, not wanting to wake her current roommates. She went to bring a foreleg to her eyes, but stopped when she found that an odd tension was keeping her from fully extending it. Worried as to why, Twilight quickly sat up, tossing the rough sheets from her. But the action caused what felt like fire to spread across her midsection.

Twilight groaned in pain, instantly falling back to the bed.

Cranning her neck downwards, she found herself covered nearly neck to tail in bandages. Her purple coat practically invisible beneath a sea of white covering. All trace of self-loathing vanishing in an instant, replaced by both pain, and panic.

“What the hay happened?!” Twilight yelled, throat screaming in protest, completely forgetting about the two sleeping members of her room, to worried about her poor state. When she did remember she clamped down on her muzzle with a hoof, struggling with the bandages that tried to keep her forelegs from even moving an inch. But the damage had already been done.

“H-Huh?” Rarity mumbled groggily, as she woke with a stretch, the usual ladylike facade of the white unicorn non-existant in her throes of only slight consciousness.

Twilight offered a nervous smile of apology, as her eyes met her friends, “G-Good morning?” She asked lamely.

“T-Twilight?!” Rarity exclaimed, all trace of grogginess gone in an instant. The exclamation serving to rouse the sleeping dragon beneath her.

“Whaa?” Spike moaned, “What’s the big deal?” He asked as he wiped his eyes before he looked over towards Twilight, “Twilight?!” He mirrored Rarity in both tone, and voice.

Twilight watched slightly confused, as both Rarity, and Spike rushed over to her. The white unicorn, rearing up as she got close. It was obvious she was getting ready to give Twilight a hug, but the white unicorn quickly stopped short. Twilight saw her friend look at her bandages before letting out a curt cough of embarrassment as she lowered herself back to the floor. Spike did similar motions.

“Oh my, I almost forgot.” Rarity mumbled, “Sorry darling, I almost did something terrible without thinking. It would have been positively dreadful if I re opened all those nasty cuts. It’s just...Oh, well we-we were starting to think you weren’t going to wake up.” She finished with a sniffle.

“Cuts? Not wake up?” Twilight asked, brief visions of her dream returning. But she quickly shook them loose. ‘It was a dream, stop thinking it was real Twilight’, she told herself.

Rarity titled her head as if she were confused, “Do you not-?” She caught herself mid sentence before looking at the door, “One moment dear, let me get the others. They’re all waiting in the lobby, we’ve been taking turns staying in the room with you. Those boorish doctors told us that they didn’t want all of us in the room at the same time, the uncaring brutes.” She finished with a dainty huff.

“But I digress.” She continued, “Oh, they’ll be ecstatic your awake, I can’t keep you all to myself can I? Be right back darling.” She finished in her typical sing-song fashion, which managed to bring a slight smile to Twilight’s face. Without another word, Rarity uncharacteristically rushed out of the room. Twilight listened to her friends running hooves echo loudly down the hall until they slowly faded away into nothingness.

With Rarity gone, Twilight turned to Spike. She wanted some answers, and Spike was the only one she could figure would know exactly what was going on. He was the last to see her awake after all.

“Spike, what the hay happened?” Twilight asked looking at the purple dragon who had managed to clamber up onto the hospital bed. Though he remained near the foot, which brought a brief pang of hurt to the purple unicorn. But she quickly reasoned that he was afraid of reopening her supposed wounds as well, and suppressed the negative feeling before it grew.

“You mean you don’t remember?” Spike asked, his voice close to tears. The forlorn sound threatened to make Twilight tear up again as well.

Twilight merely shook her head, not trusting her voice to not crack. Twilight saw that her answer was not the one Spike wanted to hear. He stared down at the bed, and sighed fiddling with his claws.

“Spike whats wrong?” Twilight asked, worry starting to hammer away at her mind, “What happened?” A long list of possible scenarios started to flicker through her mind, each worse than the last.

“Wha? Nothing!” Spike answered readily, “Well, not nothing...but...” Spike paused for a brief second as if he was trying to find the right words, “we were all just kind of hoping you could have told us. Cause we don’t know.”

“You don’t know?” Twilight repeated slowly, unsure of what to make of the answer.

Spike was the one to shake his head this time, seemingly ashamed that he could not provide Twilight with an answer, “Sorry Twilight.”

“It’s ok Spike, it’s not your fault or anyth-” Twilight started but was interrupted by the door to her room being flung open violently.

“Twilight! Oh my gosh, you are awake!” A voice that could have only belonged to Pinkie Pie exclaimed, a pink blur rushing into the room. Twilight had to fight not to flinch as she came muzzle to muzzle with the all pink pony before the door had even managed to crash into the wall,
“Oh man, oh man. I knew it!” Pinkie pie exclaimed as she bounced up, and down in place, a grin spread from cheek to cheek, “My back’s been itchy for hours, and you know what that means. This is soo great, I’d give you a hug, and all, but Rarity keeps telling me not to. Something about bandages...” She finished with a pout before getting right up to Twilight’s ear to whisper, “You know. I think the hospital is turning her into a party pooper,” Pinkie made sure to emphasize the last two words as strongly as she could, “She keeps yelling at me whenever I try and do anything fun!” The party pony finished with a shudder, her smile disappearing for the smallest of instants.

“You don’t say?” Twilight feigned surprise, suppressing a giggle. She could not help but feel her mood rise, Pinkie’s boundless energy rubbing off on the unicorn. Even her ills seemed to lessen considerably.

“Yeah!” Pinkie replied, nodding so fast Twilight was sure she would give herself a concussion, But the earth pony continued on without a hitch, “So it’s really good your awake so we can leave, and get her away from here. I tried finding her some medicine for it. Ya know, since this was a hospital and all, but I couldn’t find a single thing to cure her. Which doesn’t really seem like a good thing for a hospital, you know? They should probably try, and fix that.” Pinkie stopped for a breath for the briefest of moments, “But anyway, what I wanted to say was that; Twilight your going to just love the par-.”

Twilight cocked an eye in confusion, as she watched Pinkie freeze. The pink ponies eyes, and mouth going wide, as if in complete shock, “Um, Pinkie?” She asked concerned, not exactly sure what had happened to illicit such a reaction out of her friend.

“Oh my gosh. I forgot, I can’t believe it!” Pinkie yelled, pacing around the room a distressed look across her face, “I mean I know I was all concerned, and stuff. But that made me just want to do it more, and, more, and, and, and, and...Oh my gosh, how could I forgot the par-. I-I I forgot the par-. But Pinkie Pie never forgets a par-. ” The pink pony could not seem to finish the last word of her sentence for the life of her. Every time she tried, her voice cut out, and she let out a soft whine.

“Pinkie?” Twilight called out, trying to get through to her energetic friend.

“Be right back Twilight! Don’t. Go. Anywhere!” Pinkie commanded, as if she did not hear the unicorn at all. Without another word she dashed out of the room in another blur of pink, leaving a speechless Twilight to wonder what the hay had just happened.

“Pinkie Pie! How many times have I told you to stop running around!” Twilight heard Rarity’s voice yell through the hallway, “This is a hospital for Celestia’s sake. Could you at least try and be courteous to the patients? Honestly.” The fashionista finished with an annoyed huff, her voice a normal pitch as she walked into Twilight’s room.

“I don’t know why you keep trying Rarity. You know she doesn’t listen.” Rainbow Dash replied, the cyan pegasus close on the unicorn’s flank.

“Hmph.” Rarity huffed again, “You say that like I don’t already know Rainbow. But if I say these things enough something is bound to stick eventually. I’m telling you, it’ll work, and I’ll get that pony to calm down, if only a little bit.”

Rainbow laughed, “Oh that’s rich. Get her to calm down? That’s like saying your going to move a lightning cloud with your bare hooves. And that’s impossible. In case you didn’t know, I mean that’s only natural and all. Since it is a-.”

“Pegasus thing.” Rarity finished as if she were bored, “That’s what you always say darling, can’t you think of anything new for once?”

“What?!” Rainbow exclaimed, stamping a hoof on the ceramic floor before she quickly rounded on Rarity, “Do you really wanna do this? Here? Really?”

“Why, whatever do you mean Rainbow? I’m not doing anything. I’m just talking.” Rarity replied a knowing smirk on her face.

Twilight watched the exchange wondering if she should do anything. On one hoof she was a little saddened that two of her best friends had decided to start one of their signature arguments in the middle of her hospital room. It seemed in poor taste when Twilight was injured, and unable to remember exactly what had happened to her. But on the other hoof, the familiar sight was a welcome distraction from her own thoughts. The act playing out in front of the unicorn was quite amusing, as they always were.

“U-Um, girls. Do you really think this is the time to be arguing?” Twilight could barely Fluttershy’s soft voice over the increasingly loud duo. When they paid no attention to the timid pegasus Twilight heard her continue, if only barely, “O-Oh, ok... I-I guess it is then. Well don’t get to loud ok? There are sick ponies that need their sleep.”

Twilight watched as the yellow pony squeezed through the tight space between the hospital room’s door, and where Rarity, and Rainbow had decided to have their argument. In the her mouth was a bouquet of tulips of various colors, and Twilight cringed as the idea of food made her stomach roll.

“Hi Fluttershy.” Twilight greeted the pegasus when she reached her bedside, fighting the feeling to throw up.

“Oh,Twilight. It’s so good to see you awake, I-We’ve all been so worried.” Fluttershy answered softly setting the bouquet on the bedside table.

“How long have I been asleep?” Twilight asked.

“It’s almost been a whole day now.” Fluttershy answered, raising a foreleg to Twilight’s forehead as if to check the unicorn’s temperature, “How are you feeling? Do you want me to get a doctor?” She asked worriedly.

“No-No that’s ok...” Twilight lied with a slight sigh, her middle was still burning, but she did not want to worry anypony, “I have a slight headache, and my stomach doesn’t feel to great. But other than that, I’m ok.”

“Hah!” Rainbow Dash’s voice suddenly shouted victoriously, her argument with Rarity seemingly forgotten as she winged her way over to the bed opposite Fluttershy, “I was right! You were drinking weren’t you?”

“What?! No I wasn’t.” Twilight answered slightly offended at Dash’s accusation. Though it was to be expected. Rainbow Dash was probably the least tactful pony in all of Equestria.

“Then what did happen?” Dash pressed, “I really gotta know.”

“Rainbow Dash! Stop that this instant.” Rarity yelled at the rainbow maned pegasus, “The poor dear has just woken up from an obviously terrible ordeal, and your peppering her with questions about her getting drunk. That is just not what you do at all.”

“What?” Rainbow replied shaking her wings in annoyance, “We’re all wondering it arn’t we? She’s awake now, so let’s get some answers Twilight!”

“I-I don’t remember...” Twilight admitted sullenly, more images from her nightmare flashed through her head, but she suppressed them as quickly as they appeared.

“You don’t remember?” Dash repeated slowly, and Twilight could tell the pegasus was trying her best not to laugh, “So let me get this straight, you have a headache. You feel like your going to throw up, and you don’t remember last night. And your gonna lay there, and tell me you weren’t drinking at all.

“Dash!” Rarity yelled again, “Be more considerate for Celestia’s sake.”

“What?” Rainbow again shook her wings in annoyance, “You saw the library too, it’s just like last time, remember?”

Rarity huffed, her cheeks going red in embarrassment, “I thought we agreed to never mention that particular night ever. Again. Dash.”

“But it was funny!” Rainbow exclaimed defensively.

Twilight opened her mouth to stop the escalating fight between the two but she was beaten to the punch by a newcomer to the room, “Now girls. Ah know you two jus’ love ta go at each other like a pair of ornery old bulls. But yer friend is in the hospital right now. So why don’tcha act like yer the grown mares ya are, and quit the bickerin’.”

Applejack admonished the pair, a scowl that could cower a dragon on her face as she strode into the room with several pairs of saddlebags laid across her back. Instantly the two fighting ponies stopped, both looking as if they had been on the receiving end of a nice kick in the flank. Twilight gave the earth pony a look of gratitude, which was met in kind.

“S-Sorry Twilight.” Rainbow was the first to apologize, as she scratched her neck in embarrassment, “You know how I get...” She added lamely, as if she realized how bad the excuse was before it was even was out of her mouth.

“Me too dear. I feel absolutely dreadful. I don’t know what came over me.”

“It’s ok girls.” Twilight spoke with a smile, trying to allay their guilt as much as she could. It took Twilight a second to realize a key piece of information from the two mares’ spat, “What did you say about my library?” She inquired, a knot forming in her stomach.

No pony rose to answer the question. Twilight split her worried gaze evenly between each of her friends. But each looked away from her every time she tried to meet their eyes. It was Spike who broke the silence, “Our rooms totally wrecked!”

“What? How?” Twilight asked as she thought of giant black claws, and glowing red coffins.

“Well I dunno.” Spike continued, “I went to sleep as soon as I made sure you were ok last night. Next thing I know Pinkie’s waking me up going crazy about you being hurt. And then I look up and there’s giant holes in the roof, and the wall. I didn’t even hear anything at all during the night.”

“What?” Twilight repeated. She felt sicker than ever, as more images from her nightmare ran through her mind, “But that was a dream...” She mumbled quietly looking down at her bandage covered body, the memory of being assaulted by glass and wood making her shudder.

“What was that sugarcube?” Applejack asked worriedly, bringing Twilight back to reality.

“Nothing!” Twilight yelped quickly, not wanting to explain her horrible nightmare to her friends. At least not yet, not until she felt capable of telling the story in a coherent fashion, and definitely not while she was fighting an ever increasing doubt that last night’s escapades were not in fact a dream like she desperately wanted to believe.

Twilight winced when she caught Applejack’s eye. The orange earth pony was giving her a disapproving stare. Twilight quickly averted her gaze, she knew her friend did not believe her, and the guilt of lying did not do a single thing to help get her over sickly feelings. But Twilight was not surprised, her friend was the Element of Honesty after all. There was never getting anything past the earth pony. Thankfully Applejack did not pursue the question, but Twilight knew it was not the end of it, it was only a matter of time until she had to come clean.

“So ya don’t remember anything at all Twi?” Applejack asked in a tone that seemed to convey the fact that she did, in fact, know Twilight was keeping a secret.

Twilight grimaced, “No?” She replied, the word coming out as more of a question than a reply, and it was then that she decided to talk, “Well, kind of...but it’s all a jumbled mess, and I don’t think I can explain it at all right now.” She came as clean as she was willing to. The act actually managing to bring slight tinge of relief to the unicorn.

“Don’t push yourself on our account Twilight. It’s to be expected honestly, take your time, you can tell as all about it when you’re all better, and out of this dreadful place.” Rarity said consolingly. There was a round of confirmations from everyone else in the room.

“Thank you all...” Twilight murmured appreciatively, a smile gracing her lips.

A stern cough from the hospital door, brought an abrupt halt to the heartwarming moment. Everypony in the room turned to look at the originator, and Twilight was not surprised to see a white coated unicorn stallion standing there in full doctor’s garb.

“Good evening girls. I’m sorry for interrupting, but since our patient here is awake now, I’d like to give her a quick checkup.” The doctor said apologetically.

“Is that really necessary?” Rarity asked slightly put-off, “Shouldn’t she be able to rest, and spend time with her friends?”

“Yeah, all you guys keep doing is telling us we can’t see our friend, when she’s obviously hurting. That’s not right!” Rainbow added, flexing her wings and taking a hostile stance.

“I’m sorry girls, but this is necessary.” The doctor answered unfazed by Rainbow’s grandstanding, “I have to make sure your friend here hasn’t reopened any of her wounds. It’s quite common for patients to do when they wake up in a place they don’t recognize. I do also have to remind you that visiting hours are technically over. I know we agreed to let one of you stay with your friend at all times. But we do have all the other rules to be followed. Again I apologize”

“Hmph, well at least you apologized, that’s loads better than that other doctor that came in before.” Rarity replied.

“It’s ok girls. I’ll be fine, it’s only one more night.” Twilight chimed in before anyone else had a chance to speak. She did not want another fight to break out while, especially not with the staff. That, and she was more than slightly concerned about what the doctor said. Her midsection was still hurting quite badly, and she worried that might have indeed reopened whatever wounds were there.

“Are you sure darling?” Rarity questioned.

“I’m sure, thank you for caring though.” Twilight said with a smile, trying to press the point that everything was going to be fine.

“Well, if your absolutely sure....” Rarity replied, Twilight could tell she was not happy with the idea but she knew her unicorn friend was not going to keep arguing.

“I’m sure.” Twilight repeated, “Besides, the quicker they have a chance to look at me, the quicker I can leave isn’t that right?” She asked, looking straight at the doctor.

“You’ll be out of her soon enough, you have my word on that. But, that will only happen if we can make sure none of those nasty scrapes have managed to reopen themselves.” The doctor answered with a smile, “Now if you could please let me have some time alone with Miss Sparkle?”

“Fine.” Rainbow was the first to answer, her tone still hostile, “You better not be lying about getting Twilight outta here soon. C’mon Fluttershy.”

“O-Ok...” Fluttershy answered meekly as she went to follow Rainbow though she paused before she went out the door, “Remember to take it easy Twilight, and make sure you get lots of rest. We’ll be in the lobby if you need us, ok?”

“Yes, don’t hesitate to call at all darling. We’re all here for you, don’t you forget that. Even if some of us.” She whispered as she looked at the retreating form of Rainbow Dash quickly before turning back to Twilight, “Are not very good at showing it.”

Twilight smiled, “Thanks everypony.”

“It’s the least we could do Twilight. That’s what friends are for, is it not?” Rarity finished, before she too went and followed Fluttershy out.

“Ya don’t mind if ah stick around do ya doc?” Applejack pipped up, Twilight looked over to see her staring at her knowingly, and Twilight winced.

“Hmm? No I don’t mind, it is what we agreed upon after all. As long as Miss Sparkle is ok with it that is.”

“No, of course I don’t mind.” Twilight answered trying to not let her hesitation show in her voice. She did not like thinking about having to talk with about her possibly not-dream quite yet, but knew that Applejack would not let it rest until Twilight came clean. She was quite single-minded sometimes, and Twilight found it best to just go along with the earth pony instead of trying to fight her a long time ago.

“Alright then. Spike, c’mon let’s get outta the Doc’s way fer now.” Applejack smiled at Twilight as she made her way to the chair Rarity had been occupying not ten minutes before.

“Ah...right, good idea.” Spike said nodding, quickly hopping off the hospital bed.

“Ok then, let’s get started shall we?” The doctor started as he walked to stand beside Twilight’s bed, “My name is Dr. Lifesaver Miss Sparkle, and this shouldn’t take to long, and there’s nothing you need to worry about, ok? Now, I’m going to lift you up slightly with my magic, is that ok with you?”

“Mmm, yes that’s fine.” Twilight answered, and almost immediately she felt her body lift up. A slight tingling feeling spreading throughout her as she felt the other unicorn’s magic cover her.

“Ok, good, now just relax a bit for me, and this will be over before you know it.” Dr. Lifesaver spoke gently as he looked over her bandaged form, “Now, is there anywhere in particular that’s hurting you at the moment Miss Sparkle?”

“Um, well my middle does really bad. I sat up really fast earlier, and I think I might have reopened something like you said.”

“Ah, ok then let’s take a look then shall we?” The doctor asked rhetorically, and instantly Twilight felt the bandages around her midsection start to unwrap, “Hmm, well it doesn’t look like you managed to break any of the stitches. The movement probably just irritated the area. How would you rate the pain? Would you like some painkillers?”

“Um, it’s not too bad. At least not anymore...” Twilight trailed off. In reality it still did hurt quite a bit, but Twilight never was one to take any kind of medicine, it always seemed to end up making her worse off than before, “How bad is it doctor?” She asked worriedly.

“You shouldn’t worry at all, you’ll make a full recovery. There were definitely a lot of cuts, but thankfully none of them were deep at all. We did have to remove quite a bit of glass shards, and splinters, but there were no complications with the procedure. I can safely say there won’t be any scarring or the like.”

“Oh thank Celestia.” Twilight let out a sigh of relief she did not even know she was keeping in. The thought of potential scaring had not even crossed the injured unicorn’s mind at any point.

“Well then, I’m all done here.” Lifesaver announced after a few more moments of checking Twilight, “Your wounds are already healing quite nicely. You should be back on your hooves in no time, we could probably even let you go tomorrow or the next day. Provided you promise to be careful with your movements for at least a week or two.” The doctor continued with a warm smile as he re-wrapped all the bandages he had taken off, “Did you have any other questions you wanted to ask? Or would you like to rest now?”

“Um, I’d like to rest if that’s ok? I don’t really have any other questions.” Twilight replied.

“Very well, if you need anything just press that button right down here.” Lifesaver said as he put Twilight back down onto the hospital bed gently, then indicated a large red button on the side of the bed, “Press it, and someone is sure to come.”

“Thank you doctor.”

“Don’t mention it Miss Sparkle. I’m just doing my job. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a few more patients to see before the night is over.” Lifesaver said as he turned from Twilight, and walked out, “Have a good night.” He finished before closing the door behind him.

“Are ya sure yer feelin’ ok Twi? Ya sure don’t look it sugarcube.” Applejack started worriedly as soon as the door was shut.

“I’m ok, honest AJ.” Twilight answered, “It’s just my stomach, it hurts a bit. But I didn’t want to take any drugs. I don’t do very well with them.”

“Ah...well if yer sure about that, then ah guess it’s ok.”

“It’s not so bad, I just have to make sure I don’t move to much.” Twilight said with a weak giggle, trying to lighten the mood. She was worried how the coming conversation was going to go.

Silence reigned supreme over the room for the briefest of moments. Though to Twilight’s over active mind, it seemed to stretch on into infinity. It was only until Applejack got up, and started rummaging through the saddlebags she had laid on the floor, that Twilight could focus on something other than the overbearing silence.

Twilight watched as Applejack pulled out the black book from before, “What do ya know about this here book, Twi?” Applejack mouthed around the book, her voice so distorted from the intrusion, that Twilight could barely register what she had said.

“That’s what I’m trying to figure out.” Twilight mumbled, she did not want to have to deal with this now. But she supposed it was better to get it over with now, than have to deal with it later, “Did you look inside of it?” Twilight wondered aloud, unsure exactly why she had asked.

“Ah sure did.” Applejack answered, setting the book down next to Twilight.

“Um...” Twilight fumbled for the right words before settling on, “Did anything weird happen?”

Applejack nodded, “Sure did. Got the worst headache ah ever had the displeasure of gettin’.”

“You too, huh?” Twilight mumbled, as she reached for her magic. For a second she worried that it would not come to her, just like it had abandoned her in her dream. But she was pleasantly surprised when that familiar tingle made itself known. With a new found smile, she grasped the book in her magic and opened it, which immediately made her smile falter. Another of the circles had lit up, this one glowed orange.

“So lemme guess. That purple one lit up when ya looked inside?” Applejack asked, peering over Twilight’s shoulder to look at the book as well.

Twilight nodded, to engrossed in potential meanings for the lit circles to answer her friend.

“Spike told me, that ya went to sleep after ya looked inside it. And ya don’t remember anything after that?”

“No, nothing.” Twilight answered shaking her head, “All I remember is having a really bad nightmare, and then I woke up here.”

“Well ain’t that the darnedest thing. Don’tcha think ya should tell the Princess about this book doohicky. Seems to me it’s bad mojo.”

“No!” Twilight exclaimed hastily. She was starting to come to the frightening conclusion that she had actually lived last night’s horrors, and until she was certain she wanted as few ponies as possible to know about the magical black book. Especially her mentor. If that world was no dream, and Twilight was unable to use magic, there was a chance that the Princess would be unable to as well. The purple unicorn could not, and would not, show the book to Celestia on the off chance that the Princess would be transported to that weird place if she herself looked into the book. If her mentor ever got hurt because of her, Twilight would never be able to live with herself.

“Are ya totally sure about that Twi?” Applejack pressed again, and Twilight could tell the earth pony was more than a little apprehensive about the book.

“I’m sorry AJ, but yes, I’m sure. I can’t really explain it right now, but I can’t tell anypony about this. Not even the others, this has to stay a secret for now, until I can figure out more about whatever this thing is.” Twilight answered firmly. With a quick thought she took the book, and put it under her pillow, to make sure no one would chance a look at it.

“Well alright Twi, ah’ll keep it a secret for now. But ah gotta tell ya. I don’t have a good feeling about this whole thing.”

‘Me neither.’ Twilight thought, but kept from saying aloud. She knew Applejack was not the most stoic of ponies when it came to being involved with magic. But Twilight did not want to cause her friend anymore stress than she already had. ‘Though’ Twilight continued to think, ‘if last night was potentially real, would Applejack be sent to that world now as well?’ She wondered solemnly.

“Your going to stay here in the room tonight, right Applejack?” Twilight inquired.

“Of course sugarcube. Ah ain’t gonna leave ya alone in this dang hospital. T’wouldn’t be right at all.”

“Alright, good.” Twilight said with a nod. If that otherworld was indeed not a dream, Twilight would make sure she protected Applejack from the monsters that lived there.

---

Princess Luna was not in a good mood.

The alicorn had spent all of yet another day listening to ponies do everything from begging for her help on one matter or another, to outright yelling at her for things she had no control over. Both of which were done with such fright that Luna was surprised the ponies that came to see her, were even able to talk at all. Especially the ones that liked to yell, and curse. By the time evening rolled around, she was so frustrated with the going-ons of the kingdom for the umpteenth time. That she was, for once, thankful most ponies went to sleep during her nights. It meant she could take a break without feeling too bad for the few ponies that did try, and seek her out when the moon was high in the sky.

“How did Celestia manage to do this day, and night for a thousand years...” Luna muttered to herself as she closed the ornate throne room doors behind her. The thought of her thousand year banishment no more than a cursory thought in her mind now. A wonderful fact that made her smile brightly to herself whenever she thought of it.

It had been quite some time since she was freed from that awful Nightmare’s grasp, and she had never felt better. Though that was not to say It was still hard for the alicorn to adjust to the day to day of modern Equestria, a lot had obviously changed in a thousand years. But every day she found herself catching up more, and more. It was only a matter of time before she would feel confident enough to make more public appearances in her kingdom. She had a lot of image saving to do, so ponies would start trusting her again.

It also helped that her elder sister had began to trust her explicitly ever since Luna’s return. So much so, that Celestia had trusted her to run the kingdom for a whole week while the Sun Princess acted as an intermediary between the Dragon tribes, and the Gryphons. It did wonders for Luna’s self-esteem.

“Though it did seem like such a grander proposition a few days ago...” Luna again muttered to the empty air as she strode towards the western tower where her room had been located. Running the entire country during the day was so much more work than watching over Equestria at night.

“Your highness!” Memo, Luna’s personal assistant called out. Luna let out a slight sigh but did not stop her pace. The Moon Princess had already decided she was done holding court for the day, and any pony who wanted her for her usual night court could go eat a barrel of hayseeds for all she cared. The Princess of the Night needed rest, and she was going to get it, no other pony was going to tell her otherwise.

“Yes?” Luna asked simply, as her assistant caught up to her.

“Where are you going your highness? Isn’t court still in session?” The brown pegasus stallion asked.

“We...” Luna started but stopped quickly, wincing. If there was one thing the Moon Princess was having the most trouble getting used to, it was definitely the current day vernacular, “I.” She corrected herself, “Am canceling tonight’s court. I am tired, and I would like to rest for at least a night. I have been going non-stop ever since Celestia left a few days ago.”

“Ah...I see.” Memo replied, “Very well, I will see to it that everypony knows not to disturb you, your highness.”

“Thank you Memo.” Luna replied with a grateful sigh.

“But there is one thing your highness.” Memo asked, and Luna could hear him rummaging around in one of the saddlebags he always carried around with him wherever he went as they walked.

“And what is that?” Luna inquired.

“This, your highness.” Memo stated pulling out a sealed letter, that Princess Luna instantly recognized as a letter from Twilight Sparkle, her sisters little protege, “The maids cleaning Princess Celestia’s room were scared witless when it appeared out of nowhere. They thought you should take a look at it, since Princess Celestia isn’t here at the moment.”

“Hmm...” Princess Luna mused as she took the letter from Memo with her magic. Luna thought it odd that the letter would have gone to her sister’s room, instead of straight to the elder alicorn like usual. ‘Perhaps it is because she is so far away?’ Luna reasoned, as she stared at the rolled up parchment.

“Should I have it sent to Princess Celestia by courier?” Memo asked.

“Thank you but no. I will take care of it Memo. Thank you though.” Luna said as she undid the seal without care. It was not the first time Luna had conveniently pre-read a letter meant for her sister from Twilight, and she had gotten quite good at replacing the seal on them. As far as Luna was concerned, she placed as much value in the purple unicorn as her sister did. Saving one from a living nightmare, and giving her another chance at living in society did tend to do that to a pony. It was only right if she be allowed to read the mare’s letters as well. Even if her sister did not know she did it.

However Luna was unprepared for the cryptic words contained within, and as she read the short letter she dropped the scroll almost immediately upon finishing.


Princess Celestia,

Twilight’s hurt library wrecked Ponyville hospital.

Spike

“Your highness? Is everything ok?” Memo asked deeply concerned.

“Prepare a chariot Memo. I am visiting Ponyville first thing in the morning.” Luna commanded before she teleported the rest of the way to her tower, her tiredness replaced by anxiety, not bothering to hear Memo’s reply. Confident that he would do as she asked. Luna had her own preparations to make before she rose the sun in the morning.