• Published 31st Jan 2012
  • 2,460 Views, 52 Comments

My Little Persona - Krael



A crossover of MLP, and the SMT Persona games.

  • ...
7
 52
 2,460

Prologue

Prologue

My Little Pony is the property of Hasbro, and Persona is the property of Atlus. I take no credit for the characters in this story. Only the words written within.

Time never waits.

It delivers all equally to the same end.

Those, who wish to safeguard the future,

However limited it may be.

Go forth without falter,

with your heart as your guide.


“Twwwilight…” A voice groaned, piercing the comfortable atmosphere of Ponyville's solitary library abruptly, “This is the third time today I’ve looked through all of the shelves in the library. It’s not here. I’m bored outta my mind, can’t I do something else pleaseeeee?”

“No Spike.” Twilight Sparkle replied patient though firm, as she calmly turned a page in her current read before adding, "And what else are you going to do anyway? It's not like you can go outside right now."

"I dunno..Anything other than looking for a dumb book." Spike answered dejectedly, though he said nothing more.

Soon after sounds of books sliding in and out of their shelves, joined with the rough pitter-patter of heavy rainfall, and worked well together to fill the library with an ambiance Twilight could thoroughly enjoy as she continued to read.

When Twilight heard books moving again, she nodded approvingly, unaware that it had gone unnoticed, "Glad you could see reason Spike. It's better to be busy on days like today anyway."

"Yeah, Yeah.” Spike answered in a way that caused Twilight to roll her eyes. One final book was slid in and out before Spike spoke again “There, I'm done again Twilight. It's not here, I'm sure of it. Someone must've checked it out."

“It’s not checked out.” Twilight answered confidently, “I’ve told you that a dozen times already. I’ve checked, double checked, triple checked, octuple checked even! It’s still in this library somewhere, and we’re going to find it even if it takes all day!” Twilight shouted a little angrier than she intended. But that did not stop her from also stamping a hoof against the wood desk to emphasize her point even as she turned another page of her book, "Look one more time please. It has to be found." She finished curtly.

“You know…We’d have a much better time finding the dumb thing if we helped look.” Spike grumbled, the complaint coupled with the sound of a book being slammed back into place. A hoot of agreement answered the baby dragon.

Twilight wanted to sigh, but forced herself to keep it in. There was little point in getting mad at her assistants, they were trying their best after all, and even she could understand their frustration, “Look Spike…” She started, finally taking her nose out of her book, though not before placing a hoof on it to mark where she’d left off, “I’d love to help but I have this report to the Princess to finish, and I have to get as much as I can out of this book she asked me to read to do it. I just don’t have the extra time. It’s due in a three weeks, and I don’t even know what in the hay I'm going to write about.”

“As much as you can?” Spike asked walking over to Twilight a clear tone of disbelief in his voice, “You’ve already read that dumb thing five times now, I’ve been keeping count. And it hasn’t even been a week since you got it from the Princess.” Spike spoke incredulously, “Five. Times! You’ve been reciting the whole thing in your sleep for Celestia’s sake. Loudly, I might add. It keeps us up at night, isn’t that right Owlicious?” He asked, looking up. Though Twilight could not understand why, she was sure he could not actually see her pet owl that had taken roost on the tiny dragon’s head.

“Hoot!” Owliious responded, fervently nodding his head up and down.

“See, even he agrees…That makes it two against one. You really oughta take a break Twilight.” Spike stated, as he folded his arms across his chest nodding like he had just, without a doubt, won the argument, “And us! We need a break too don’t forget that.” He added quickly after a quick scratch, and annoyed hoot from Owlicious.

“I do not recite the whole book in my sleep Spike. That’s just nonsense.” Twilight replied indignantly. True she may have read the book a few times already, and true she sometimes went a little overboard in the studies department. Even she could admit that. Well, at least she could admit it now, after having lived in Ponyville with all of her friends for so long. But to be reciting an entire book word for word? In her sleep to boot? There was no possible way in Celestia’s sun she would ever do anything so farfetched. No, this was probably another scheme to get out of working early so he could go to Rarity's or some other sort of nonsense, and Twilight was going to have none of it this particular day.

A book was missing from her library, missing. Just the thought of it alone physically pained the unicorn to even think about. She was sure that if it was not found soon there would, without a doubt, be repercussions from the Princess, or possibly even the Mayor for shirking her duties. It was easily enough to make her visible cringe. No, the book just absolutely had to be found, no matter what. Even if Spike did get mad at her for a little while.

“Oh yeah?” Spike challenged, breaking Twilight out of her increasingly negative thoughts. She noticed he had a cocky expression plastered all over his face, and she mentally face hooved. That look never meant anything good, “Owlicious, if you would please.”

At Spike’s command, Twilight watched her owl quickly take flight, disappearing up the only set of stairs in the library. The brown ball of feathers was gone for only a few moments, and on his return Twilight could see he had a small plastic device gripped tightly in his claws, “What is that?” She asked, as she watched her owl return warily. She suddenly had a slight feeling of nervousness for a reason she could not, for the life of her, place a hoof on.

“You want proof well I’ve got your proof right here.” Spike stated with a devious grin as Twilight watched him take, what Twilight could now tell was his recorder, from Owlicious’ claws. He placed it next to her on her desk, and pressed the button clearly marked play almost instantaneously.

Not a second after the loud click of the recorder turning on, the sounds of incredibly loud snoring filled the library floor, “Chapter 14.” A voice that was unmistakably Twilight’s own filtered through the solitary speaker in between snores, “Crystal Gems and Their place in Magic Use.” The recorder played back, and Twilight felt her face go hot from embarrassment, “Someponies thi-“

The recorder had not been on for more than a few lines before Twilight had already decided she had heard enough. In an instant her horn tingled with a well-known feeling, a purple tinted sheet of magical energy coalesced across the recorder in that very same instant. Without much effort she willed the thing to be destroyed, and as soon as the destructive thought was out of her head the recorder flew faster than anything she had ever seen, Rainbow Dash included. It hit the back wall of the library with such force that it shattered on impact, dozens upon dozens of tiny plastic pieces littering the air.

“Ok break time. Definitely, definitely break time. You guys earned it, yep, no doubt about that. Time for a very long break yes indeed. Report? What report, no reports needed to be written here.” Twilight rambled nervously, and in rapid fire, “I’m…I’m just going to go upstairs, and take a break just like you said. Ok? Ok, excellent.” Twilight finished with an equally nervous giggle, as she snapped her book shut and slid off her study chair.

“My recorder!” Spike yelled clearly distressed sprinting over to the remains of his toy, “Why’d ya hafta go and do that Twilight.” He said with a sniff, gathering up the scattered pieces in his arms.

“I’m sorry Spike. I don’t know what came over me.” Twilight lied slightly, though as she did guilt pierced her heart painfully at the distraught look on her assistant’s face, “Tell you what, how about we go to the gem store tomorrow, and you can pick out whatever you want?”

At the mention of gems, Spike’s face knowingly lit up. The premature death of his little toy seemingly forgotten in an instant, “Anything?” Spike asked as if he did not quite believe Twilight’s proposal.

“Anything.” Twilight confirmed with a nod, a slight smile adorning her face at seeing Spike excited again.

“Hmm…” Spike brought a claw to his chin as if in deep thought. Though Twilight knew there was no way he was going to pass up getting a free gem she amused his theatrics, “Well, all right I guess. But you said anything, so no backing out ok?”

“No backing out, promise Spike.” Twilight answered, “We’ll go first thing tomorrow.”

“Alright!” Spike arm pumped, “I’ll go put it on tomorrow’s checklist!” He exclaimed, as he turned and headed towards the stairs.

Twilight heard him mumble something about sapphires, and rubies on the way which caused her to giggle softly, “Sometimes it’s just a little too easy.” She mumbled contentedly to herself as she turned back towards her desk. Though in hindsight it probably was not the best move to let him pick anything in the store she thought to herself, “Celestia knows he’s going to pick the biggest one there.” She again spoke aloud to no one, her mood instantly became melancholy.

She sighed softly, “I suppose I’m not going to be eating out for a week or two…”

“Hello? Is anybody in there?” A voice unexpectedly called out from the library’s foyer.

Twilight was slightly surprised that anypony would be out in the terrible storm that was raging outside, but she quickly shoved the speculation aside, going to greet her mysterious guest. When she arrived at the foyer she was doubly surprised to find a well-kept, or at least as well-kept as a pony could be after walking through a deluge, stallion. He sported a rather bushy brown mustache, or at least Twilight assumed it would have been bushy had it not been stuck flat against his muzzle from rain. The brown heavily contrasting with his stark white coat. A hood covered most of his head, and flowed directly into a large cloak that covered his body in it's entirety. Both were slick with water. Twilight winced as she saw the clear liquid seeping into the floor. It would take ages to magic all the water out of the wood.

“Can I help you?” Twilight asked a little amazed as she watched him fight to close the front door, a howling wind his opponent.

“Yes yes, one second. Maybe…Do you think, do you think I could have a little help here?” The stallion replied in a tone that screamed high-society.

“Oh, Oh! I’m so sorry.” Twilight answered hastily. That familiar tingle filling her horn, as her trademark purple energy covered the door, slamming it shut with ease. She mentally berated herself for not doing it sooner. No doubt the obviously well-to-do pony would think less of her, and that in turn made her think likewise.

The stallion let out a breath of relief as he turned to face Twilight, “Thank you my dear. The weather is positively dreadful out.”

“Mmm, tell me about it.” Twilight answered slightly hesitant. She was never very good at handling the higher class ponies of Equestria, and she hoped to Celestia it did not show, “Why are you out in the first place?” She asked before quickly adding a rushed, “If you don’t mind me asking!”

“No, no. It’s no bother my dear, and well it is quite a long story, one that I shant bore you to death with.” The stallion answered readily, “Suffice to say I was on my way to Canterlot to drop off an item of importance, when our carriage hit a slight snag on the route. I proceeded to get stuck right here in Ponyville when the storms, that I had so very meticulously planned around, hit. Now an emergency back home in Manehatten has need of my immediate attentions, and I cannot possibly deliver my cargo, and make it back in time.” The stallion rattled off, giving Twilight no room to interject.

“But then I remembered a very peculiar tale I had once heard. Celestia’s own pupil is staying right here in Ponyville, and at their library no less! It seemed like divine providence from her highness herself. So I thought to myself, well if anyone could get my cargo to Canterlot with ease, it would be said pupil. So here I am, now if you’d be a dear and go get her, so I could get this mess over and done with so I may return home to my family. I would be most grateful.” He finished giving Twilight an impatient stare.

It took Twilight a moment before she registered that the stallion had finished talking, “Um, I am Celestia’s student. What is it exactly that I can do for you?” She asked a little more hostile than she had intended. It always seemed that the holier-than-thou rich ponies never seemed to take her seriously, and she could feel her coat bristling.

“Oh, really?” The stallion asked shocked his snooty facade gone for a split second before it returned in full force, “Terribly sorry, you just seemed so young. I meant no offense.”

“Right…” Twilight muttered, “Now again, what is it that you need?”

The stallion cleared his throat, “Well…” He began, before he craned his neck downwards, his head disappearing into his cloak. From out from under the large garment he pulled a rather large book, it’s covering as black as a moonless night, “I was to bring this book to Canterlot’s illustrious Grand Library. But as I said I must be getting back to Manehatten. Could I entrust it to you to bring it there in my stead?”

Twilight peered at the black book in interest, “May I?” She inquired as she prepared to take it through her magic.

“Ah, be my guest.” The stallion responded, letting it out of his mouth.

Before it hit the ground Twilight caught it with her magic, bringing it close to her inspecting the book with a jeweler's gaze. Though she focused mostly on two very odd things about the item; One there was no title, rather there was no writing at all on the covering, and two the rather large strip of material fastened to a lock on the tomes face, something she had never seen on any book, “What is it about, and why is it locked like that?” Twilight wondered aloud without realizing it.

“I honestly cannot say I know. I recently acquired it through a passing in the family. What I do know however is that it used to be an ancestor’s. Whom, it turns out, was a unicorn. I naturally would assume it would have something to do with magic. However seeing as my family, and I are all Earth Ponies now it never really dawned on me to inquire more about it. It is why I have decided to donate it to the library, and all. But speaking of the lock, I almost forgot. I have the key right here as well.” He again ducked his head into his cloak and protruded a large key that glinted gold in the library light, which Twilight took with magic as well.

“So will you help a fellow pony out my dear?” The stallion asked, voice screaming impatience. She briefly wondered what could have made him turn back home, this far into his journey. It was only a few more hours if he continued onto Canterlot himself. It was not that much farther away.

“I suppose it won’t be any trouble. I’d be glad to.” Twilight answered truthfully, deciding it would be better to not to ask why he could not do it himself. She was due to visit Canterlot in a week’s time anyway. She could migrate two parasprites with one banjo, as the saying went.

The stallion breathed a sigh of relief, “Ah, you’re a lifesaver my dear. Thank you. Now if you pardon my hasty exit, I must be leaving.” Without another word, he opened the door and was gone.

Twilight quickly shut the door behind him, a little put off with his hasty exit, “Mmm, in how much of a hurry can you be in? Honestly.” She wondered aloud looking out the window at the pounding rain. She quickly decided however that it was none of her business, and she was not bothered enough about it to be caught dead in that rain. Without a further thought on the matter, Twilight turned on a bit, and trotted back into the main part of the library.

---

---


“Hey Twilight…Are you ok?” Spike’s voice filtered through the purple unicorn’s ears, as she briefly registered him taking a seat next to her at the Libraries main table.

“Yes Spike…” Twilight mumbled exasperatedly, her gaze fastened onto the odd book she had acquired earlier in the day. She felt herself dying a little bit every second the book remained closed. It seemed as if she had spent an eternity looking between the book and the large golden key she had placed right beside it.

If the book was indeed filled with all sorts of magical secrets, she felt she was required to look through it, at least if only for a little bit. She was Celestia’s very own student after all, and that meant she was important enough to inquire about old books filled with magic. Or at least Twilight hoped that it did. But then there was always the possibility that,the stallion had not wanted anyone to look at it until the head librarians at the Grand Library had a chance to leaf through the book’s contents. The constant barrage of thoughts with no clear answers were fighting a neverending war in Twilight’s mind, and it was a perfect stalemate. She moaned in frustration.

“Are you sure? You’ve been staring at that book, and making weird noises, for like... An hour now. I don’t think it’s very healthy. Maybe you should get some sleep.” Spike offered.

“How can I sleep when I have this book sitting right here? Think of what knowledge could be inside it.” Twilight stated matter-of-factly, a hoof slightly fiddling with the large lock on the front cover.

“Oook. So why don’t you just open it?” Spike asked in return.

“Wha?” Twilight replied rather dumbly, as if the option had never crossed her mind.

“Just…open…it? I mean…you said he was donating it to a library right? So anyone would be able to look at it then. Don’t see why you just can’t do the same.”

“I…” Twilight began, before she realized exactly how dumb she was being, “Spike your totally right! You’re a genius.”

“Hehe…” Spike giggled proudly breathing on a claw a few times before polishing it on his chest, “I know.”

Twilight paid the little dragon little attention though. The book still screamed to her silently, the pull seemed to increase exponentially as she prepared to open it. Quickly, unable to wait a second longer, she took the key in hoof, and jammed it into the lock hard. So hard she was afraid that she might have broken it. But she was thankfully proven wrong when she turned the key without resistance. With a quick, and easy twist the lock gave way with a tiny 'pop', and the binding strap fell away.

Twilight looked at the now opened book, a giddy smile slowly spreading across her face. She tentatively reached a hoof out, ready to dive into the mystery tome. But as she turned the front cover she was dismayed to see that with it a good half of the book came up as well. Try as she might, be it with hoof or magic, she could not, for the life of her, move any of the pages in between.

“What a useless book!” She yelled in frustration, as she tried one last time to separate cover from page before slamming it shut, “What’s a pony supposed to do with a book that’s stuck together like this?” She asked herself more than Spike.

“Well what’s with that part that actually comes apart?” Spike offered.

Twilight let out a deep breathe, curbing her rising ire, “I don’t know…” She answered truthfully, and turned to the natural splitting.

To say she was surprised would have been like saying the sun was bright. She stared at the pages in awe. Scribbled across the pages were no words, instead it was filled with a rather intricate pattern of shapes and lines. Four circles sat on each page in seemingly random positions, connected to one another by the myriad of thick strips. In the middle of it all was a single line of script, but it was written in a language Twilight had never come across before. As Twilight continued to look at the book, she could have sworn to Celestia that the lines were moving around the page, almost as if it were guiding her along a particular path through an unseen maze in the patterns. As she moved her eyes along, they came to the first of the fourcircles, and as she looked at the empty space a flash of white hot pain flared agonizingly in her head right behind her horn. It happened so suddenly that she yelped, falling backwards out of her seat.

“Twilight!” Spike yelled worriedly, accompanied by the sounds of a chair scraping against wood.

Twilight felt a pair of claws gently try and help her up, “I’m…” Twilight began, as she struggled to get her hooves under her, “I’m fine…”

“Are you sure?” Spike asked.

“I, I think so.” Twilight responded truthfully, able to stand again. The pain had gone as quickly as it had come, though in its place, a feeling of intense nausea had taken root, “That…That was weird.” Twilight mused aloud, and instantly wished she hadn’t as the feeling of vomiting threatened to overtake her.

“What happened?” Spike asked, Twilight could tell he was still worried, though was trying his best not to show it.

“I don’t know Spike.” Twilight answered truthfully, slowly sitting back down which brought a welcome respite to the sickly feeling.

She looked back at the book, careful to not look at any of those circles. But as she scanned the pages for a second time, it was almost a completely different book. While it looked exactly the same, the lines no longer seemed to shift, and move under her stare. What’s more, the circle she had looked at was no longer a blank space on the page instead it was filled in with a purple hue that glowed slightly. To add even more to her already ample surprise was the fact that Twilight could now read the line of text that spanned the pages.


Stranger, Thou have been blessed with the divine providence of experiencing the Twenty-Fifth hour. Rejoice for thy hath been chosen.

Twilight cocked an eye as she read the single cryptic line. Twenty-fifth hour? What did that mean, and being chosen? What did that mean? What did any of it mean at all? It felt like her brain was going in double time. She had trouble thinking straight due to a rising headache, and that vomiting feeling in the pit of her stomach had returned in full force, and attracted most of her waning attention.

“Twilight…you really don’t look so good. Maybe you should get some sleep.”

“I…I think your right Spike.” Twilight agreed without a hint of opposition. She had so many questions, but in her state, she doubted she would be able to do anything to find out any answers.

“Good. Comeon, I’ll help you upstairs.” Spike offered, and Twilight felt his a claw brace itself across her back.

“Mmm, Thank you Spike. You get another gem tomorrow ok?” Twilight offered, fighting down another wave of nausea, as she slid off her chair to stand.

“Hey, don’t worry about that. Just worry about getting better all right?”

Twilight was silent on her assisted trot upstairs to her room, worried that if she opened her mouth she would be unable to keep her stomach from spewing its contents all over the floor. All she could think about as she was helped into her bed was if she had gotten a new one recently, because hers had never felt so good.

---

---


When Twilight woke, she was surprised that it was still night out. She was also pleasantly surprised that she felt completely fine now. The splitting headache was nowhere to be felt, and there no trace of potential hurling. She thanked Celestia for recovering so fast, as she tossed and turned underneath the sheets trying to find a comfortable position to fall back asleep in. It took her a moment before she realized that something seemed off. It was a few minutes later before she finally placed a hoof on the cause of her unease.

“The rain stopped?” Twilight wondered aloud, her voice seemed uncharacteristically loud in the stark quiet of the darkened library.

Tossing her covers off, Twilight shakily stood, the throes of sleep still heavy on her mind. Blinking a few times, and shaking her head in a lame attempt get her mind to wake up with the rest of her, she slowly got out of the bed. As her hooves hit the floor, she quickly noticed them making much louder noise than she was used to, and she suddenly realized how absolutely silent everything else was. Apprehension started to creep its way slowly across her mind.

“I thought the storm was supposed to keep going for a few days now…” Twilight mused as she walked over to her window, “I wonder what made the-“ Twilight’s voice caught in her throat as she reached her window to stare outside in awe.

“The moon’s green?!” Twilight exclaimed as she looked up at the full moon.

It indeed was a greenish hue, and cast a foreboding light across Ponyville. The mere sight of the anomaly caused one part fear, and one part fascination in Twilight’s now suddenly alert mind. What kind of magic would make the moon green, and why would Luna choose green of all colors? She wondered. But Twilight quickly came to the conclusion that it was her moon, the Princess could do what she pleased with it.

“Why didn’t she tell anypony though?” Twilight wondered aloud as she continued to stare in awe, it seemed like such a waste to not have everypony see the magically enhanced body, “Spike! Come look.” She yelled over her shoulder, as she went to her bedside journal to make a report of the event. She wondered what kind of tests she could run to see if she could tell just how Luna had done it. She was getting giddy just thinking about it.

“Spike?” Twilight called again, “Comeon wake up, you’ve gotta see this!” Twilight yelled, but received nothing which immediately sent a small warning bell through her mind. Even if the baby dragon never seemed to want to leave his basket, he at least always woke up slightly and told the unicorn so.

“Spike?” Twilight asked again, as she rounded the foot of her bed, intent on rousing the baby dragon, “Are you-

“Spike?!” Twilight yelled in shock.

Atop her assistant’s basket sat a coffin laid flat across the brim.