• Published 7th Mar 2013
  • 2,262 Views, 40 Comments

Nightmare Moon over the Republic - dramatic_spoon



Time Turner and his friends must find the Elements of Harmony and defeat Nightmare Moon. Discordverse AU.

  • ...
3
 40
 2,262

Bad Moon Rising

Time Turner walked through the town, glancing at the chatting ponies, food stands, decorations and other going-ons.

“There doesn’t seem to be any guar-”

“There he is!”

Time Turner whipped around to see Thunderlane and Big Macintosh heading towards him.

“Oh, hello.” Time Turner awkwardly smiled back.

“Heard you enjoyed what we had ta’ offer you back at th’ farm.” Big Macintosh chuckled.

“Your sister, Carrot Top and Roseluck can be quite generous.” Time Turner motioned towards a food stand with a pile of donuts, “look at that, I want to try it, but I think I had too much to eat from then.”

“Heh.” Thunderlane chuckled, “I thought you city boys were all about parties and good times.”

“Not me.” Time Turner shook his head, “My father frowned on that sort of thing, and I preferred a good book over a party.”

“Well, each to their own.” Thunderlane shrugged. “What does your dad do anyway?”

“Oh, he’s a senator.”

“Oh, a se…” Thunderlane blinked in realization, “Wait, a Senator?”

“Hmm?” Time Turner shrugged, “Indeed. He’s Clagan.”

“…Damn, you must have some friends in high places.” Thunderlane nodded impressed.

“Eyup.” Big Macintosh agreed.

“WATCH OUT!”

“Oh not again!” Time Turner leapt to the side, out of the way. Thunderlane lifted off the ground as Big Macintosh stepped out of the way. Scootaloo, Apple Bloom, Dinky Doo and Sweetie Belle whizzed past the group on her scooter.

“Sorry!” Dinky Doo called out as they passed by.

Thunderlane touched down and trotted over to Time Turner.

“You alright?”

“Fine.” The stallion got back onto his feet and dusted himself off, “I prefer not to get run over twice in one day.”

“Heh.” Thunderlane chuckled, “Good reason.”

“I mean, seriously, who lets four fillies dash around town like that?” Time Turner began to rant, “Who lets their children do that?”

“Seein’ that my sister is one of them kids, I’d say I do.” Big Macintosh politely added.

“….Oh.” Time Turner blinked, “I thought one of them looked like your sister. It’s a little hard to tell when you’re upside down and dizzy.”

“Eyup.” Big Macintosh nodded, “They’re all good fillies, but you know how kids can be.”

“I suppose.” Time Turner muttered, “I was never one for romping around Canterlot like that.”

“Don’t think you could get away with it, y’know, being the son of a senator and all.” Thunderlane shrugged.

“…I suppose.” Time Turner frowned, “My father is not the sort of stallion to use his position and wealth to cover up my mistakes. Why, I know what he would say,” Time Turner coughed and started speaking again, in a deeper voice “ ‘Turner, I will do no such thing. You made a mistake and now you must suffer the consequences’.”

“He’s just bein’ a good parent.” Big Macintosh chuckled.

“I guess.” Time Turner’s stomach rumbled, “…I guess I am hungry again.”

“Well, I reckon you had enough apples. Why don’t you try one o’ th’ Cake’s sweets?” Big Macintosh jerked his head towards one of the stands.

“I suppose something sugary would be fine.”

The group went over to one of the stands; apparently empty save for a plate piled high with turnovers. Time Turner sniffed one of them.

“smells like…Carrots.”

“It’s the carrot and onion turnovers. Fresh from Carrot Top and Creamgold’s fields.” Dizzy Twister informed him as she returned to her stand, “Help yourself.”

Time Turner picked out one of the turnovers and took a bite. Chewing, his face light up in enjoyment, before he swallowed.

“That is fantastic.”

“Glad you liked it; it’s my mother’s recipe.” Dizzy beamed.

“I’ve had something like this before, back in Canterlot.” Time Turner took another bite and swallowed before continuing, “It had some fancy purple variety of carrot and some sort of onion cultivated in Saddle Arabia with plenty of rich cheese. But this is still better.”

“Interesting.” Dizzy shrugged. “By the way, have you seen…”

“Scootaloo an’ Dinky just whizzed by with Apple Bloom an’ Sweetie Belle.” Big Macintosh interrupted.

“Oh. She didn’t knock anyone over, did she?”

“Not that we noticed, Dizzy.” Thunderlane chuckled.

“That’s good.” Dizzy sighed. “I haven’t seen Rumble for a while.”

“Yeah, he’s back with the folks in Cloudsdale.” Thunderlane shrugged, “He’ll be back in a week or two.”

“Oh, wonderful. Scootaloo and Dinky miss him.” Dizzy glanced at the clock tower. “Huh. Almost time.

“You’re welcome to tag along.” Thunderlane offered.

“Oh, of course.” Dizzy came out from behind the stand, as Time Turner took two more turnovers.

The group walked off. Thunderlane and Big Macintosh exchanged glances as Time Turner choked down the turnovers.

“Thhese har hanhashic.” Time Turner exclaimed, his voice muffled by the food stuffed in his mouth.

“Mr. Turner, don’t you think it’s impolite ta’ talk with your mouthful?” Big Macintosh chided the other stallion.

“Hih…” Time Turner stopped and gave a mighty swallow, before continuing, “I suppose so.”

“So, Mr. Turner, how do you like Ponyville so far?” Dizzy asked.

“I’ve only been here for a day, but it seems nice.” Time Turner shrugged, “Quiet, not too busy. I assume nothing really interesting happens here.”

“Not really.” Big Macintosh agreed, “Ponyville’s a small little town, th’s a nice place ta’ live and raise a family.”

“I suppose.” Time Turner shrugged, “But where is the military outpost?”

“Never needed one.” Dizzy answered, “For the most part, we’ve never been under threat, not even from the Everfree Forest. Plus, it’s not that hard for the armed forces to make it here.”

“Not even a Militia?”

“We have one, it’s…” Dizzy glanced at Big Macintosh; the stallion shook his head, “Not really a big deal.”

“I suppose. So, um…what happened to your husband?” Time Turner asked.

“I beg your pardon?” Dizzy’s eyebrow went up in confusion.

“Well, you said you were a Missus, you have two children, but as best I can tell, no husband.”

“Mr. Turner, that ain’t exactly the nicest way ta’ ask somepony a question like that.” Big Macintosh frowned.

“…oh, I suppose you’re right.” Time Turner noted, “I’m terribly sorry, Missus Twister, I’m…not use to talking to others.”

“It’s alright.” Dizzy waved it off, “My husband is in the Air force. He works under General Spitfire, so he’s always busy. As for my children, Scootaloo is my daughter. Dinky is…” Dizzy Twister bit her lower lip, uncertain of continuing, “I think the best word to use is ‘ward’.”

“Oh?” Time Turner turned his attention to her, “She’s not yours?”

“No, she’s the daughter of a friend. But…” Dizzy shook her head, “I’m sorry, it’s not something I really wish to talk about. She’s not mine, but she’s like a daughter to me.”

“I see... Interesting...” Time Turner nodded, “I’m sorry if I said anything that…brought up some bad memories.”

“Oh, it’s fine.” Dizzy smiled.

The group came to a stop in front of another stand, this one decorated with pictures and art of historical scenes. One of the pictures showed Discord swooping into battle against the Royal army, followed by a group of rag-tag ponies. Another showed Discord locked in combat with an armored black alicorn with an inky blue mane and an armored white alicorn with a blood red flaming mane. The final picture showed a group of ponies wielding gemstones, sealing away the two alicorns.

“Lemon Heart did a fantastic job on those.” Dizzy noted.

“Eeyup.” Big Macintosh nodded.

“…I dunno, I thought some of her other stuff was better.” Thunderlane shrugged, “But then again, I’m not the artsy type.”

“What do you think Mr. Tur….” Dizzy Twister trailed off.

Time Turner stared at one of the pictures. It started off with a pair of alicorns against an elegant castle background; one white with a blue mane, one dark blue with a darker mane, in the middle of the picture, a scene portrayed the two Alicorns, upon their knees, the background reduced to tatters and the shattered remains of the castle.
The final portion of the picture showed the white alicorn with the flaming, blood red mane and the black alicorn with the inky blue mane, standing triumphantly in the ruined background.

“…Oh no.” Time Turner whispered, “I completely forgot.”

“Forgot what?” A new voice startled Time Turner. Lemon Hearts stepped out from behind the stand. The mare noticed Time Turner’s companions, “Oh Hello, Mac. Thunderlane. Dizzy.”

“Miss Hearts.” Big Macintosh politely nodded.

“Oh, there you are, Lemony.” Dizzy smiled uneasily, “Everything healed up alright?”

“Yes.” Lemon Hearts flexed her left foreleg, “Good as new. Just tell Scootaloo and Dinky to be a bit more careful.”

“I’m terribly sorry.” Dizzy apologized.

“Its fine, its fine.” Lemon Hearts waved it off, “Now, Mr….Time Turner was it? What’s wrong?”

“It’s…Personal.” Time Turner grimaced, “Where…oh, no, you told us there were no guards…” He glanced up at the clock tower, “What time is Discord suppose to get here?”

“In another hour or so.” Lemon hearts responded, “You do realize if you tell us what’s wrong, we could help you?”

“Politely, I don’t think any of you can.” Time Turner excused himself and galloped off. In his haste, he nearly knocked over Rarity. The mechanic shot a dirty look at the stallion, as he fled.

“What is his problem?” Rarity asked as she trotted over to the others.

“Not sure.” Thunderlane frowned, “He’s a weird one, isn’t he?”

“….’Peculiar’ is a better word, I think.” Lemon Hearts frowned and looked at her drawings, “What did he see in it?”

“I’m not sure.”

---

Time Turner tripped and stumbled into the mayor’s office. Cheerilee frowned at him.

“What is it?”

“Did Discord show up yet?” Time Turner pulled himself back onto his hooves.

“No.” the mayor shook her head.

“Dammit.” Time Turner began to pace around the office, “I need to tell him something that is of vital importance to the nation.”

Cheerilee rolled her eyes, “Not another one of those things…”

“But this time it’s true!” Time Turner stomped, “I did the research and the…”

“The what, Time Turner?” A new voice cut in.

Time Turner spun around, searching for the source.

“Above you.”

Time Turner looked up; an amused looking Discord touched down in front of him.

“Now, Time Turner, what is so important?” Discord smiled.

“Ah! I was trying to tell you and my father about it back in Canterlot, but today is the day that Nightmare Moon is suppose to escape from her prison and return!” the stallion broke off into a fast-paced explanation, while Discord and Cheerilee exchanged glances.

“..And quickly!” Time Turner concluded.

“Time Turner, I think you need to relax.” Discord yawned. “Nightmare Moon escaping? Please.”

“But…You were there when they sealed them away.” Time Turner added, “Surely you of all beings wou-”

“Yes, Turner I was there. I also knew just how powerful the Elements of Harmony were, when they sealed me away for thousands of years.” Discord shook his head, “I only escaped once enough chaos was built up for me to take advantage of. Luna and Celestia have no such advantage, and will remain where they are until long after you have passed on.” Discord’s expression turned gloomy, “Maybe forever.”

“But…”

“Time Turner, I do agree with your father. This is not something you should worry about, it’s a celebration, go out and have some fun.” Discord’s face lit up again, “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a crowd to entertain.”

The draconequus snapped his fingers and vanished. Time Turner sighed in defeat and left the room.

“Why won’t anypony listen to me?”

---

Time Turner stood in the crowd, as Discord appeared on stage in an explosion of fireworks, confetti, chocolate rain and fish.

“HELLLLLOOOO PONYVILLE! WHO LOVES YA BABY?!?”

The crowd cheered as Time Turner sighed.

“There he is.”

Time Turner looked up, as Rarity, Big Macintosh, Thunderlane, Dizzy Twister and Lemon Hearts trotted over. Lemon Heart’s magical aura brought a plate with several turnovers on it towards Time Turner’s face.

“Want them?” the mare inquired.

“…sure.” Time Turner sighed. The stallion took one of the turnovers and chewed.

“Why were you rushing around earlier?” Rarity inquired.

“It doesn’t matter.” The stallion sighed, “Even he doesn’t beli- what is that?”

Time Turner pointed towards an odd-looking purple cloud forming far above the stage and Discord.

“What the hell…” Thunderlane frowned, “I thought we got all the rainclouds. It doesn’t look like one of Advisor Discord’s chocolate rain clouds either. Unless he has a new trick up his sleeve.”

“No…I don’t think so.” Rarity squinted at it. “It’s…just hanging there.”

“….oh no.” Time Turner whispered, “I know what it is.”

“Beg your pardon?” Big Macintosh’s eyebrow rose.

The cloud began to grow, catching the attention of other members of the crowd. Discord frowned.

“What are you all looking at?” Time Turner looked up. Upon seeing the cloud, Discord paled in horror.

“Oh no…no, it can’t be. It was suppose to last fo-”

Discord screamed in horror as the cloud shot down and engulfed him. For several moments, the crowd could only watch in horror as the draconequus struggled within the cloud, until it ceased moving. The cloud quickly began to spin around until it dispersed; leaving a towering armored black alicorn with a flowing blue mane.

“…Oh Discord, I was right.” Time Turner collapsed to his knees.

“Nightmare Moon has returned...”