• Published 7th Mar 2013
  • 2,262 Views, 40 Comments

Nightmare Moon over the Republic - dramatic_spoon



Time Turner and his friends must find the Elements of Harmony and defeat Nightmare Moon. Discordverse AU.

  • ...
3
 40
 2,262

Places I should be.

Once upon a time in the magical land of Equestria, lived two regal sisters who ruled over the night and day.
These ponies kept watch on ponykind, monitoring their progress in the fields of magic, science and technology. Under their watchful eyes, anything deemed harmful to ponykind was discarded, and these fields stagnated.
As time went on, many a pony began to ask themselves “is this truly harmful? What potential is there in these fields? What can we do to make our lives better?”
As these murmurings spread and the princesses clamped down on advancement, the ponies have become discontent.
A single incident involving a foal’s quest for her cutie mark finally sparked what had been building up, as Ponykind rose against the Princesses in open revolt.
Time went on, and eventually the Princesses’ worst nightmares came true.

Discord had returned to the land.
But not as the spirit of disharmony and chaos as ponykind once knew him.
As Order brought Stagnation, Change brings Chaos.
Reborn as the Spirit of Change, Discord sided with the rebelling ponies, bringing them closer to victory.

As things seemed bleak for the Princesses, they finally succumbed to the darkness in their hearts.
Reborn as Nightmare Moon and Tonatiuh, the Princesses challenged Discord and the rebels, nearly defeating him in pitched combat.
However, the Rebels had the one item powerful enough to challenge even the Gods;

The Elements of Harmony.

Sealing away the Princesses in their domains, Discord and the rebels won the day, as those who were still loyal to the princesses fled to form the Kingdom of Equestria.
One thousand years later, the Republic of Equestria is a thriving nation, built upon the foundations of Magic, Science and Technology, and one that is always seeking to better itself.
The Governing Council, assisted by Discord, rules fairly and with knowledge.

But this is not the story about them.
This story follows a young stallion that has yet to realize where exactly his life shall lead him.

This is the story of how one pony can make all the difference….

---

CANTERLOT, Capital of the Republic of Equestria
National Library

A middle-aged earth stallion trudged up a flight of stairs. His white mane is combed back, and his brown coat is graying around the edges. His cutie mark took the form of an hourglass. As he stepped up the final stair, he let out a groan.

“My goodness, I couldn’t have been that out of shape. Perhaps I do need a vacation after all.” The stallion grumbled.

“Of course you do, my dear Clagan.” Another voiced responded, dripping with mocking sarcasm.

Clagan looked to his left. A spindly dragon shaped beast with mismatched limbs smiled at the stallion. Clagan smiled back.

“Discord. I believe they were waiting for you. Something to do with the latest actions by the Kaiser, Hmm?”

“That old bag of hot air and feathers?” Discord scoffed, “Please. I have more important things to deal with. As do you.”

“I?” Clagan snorted and continued to walk, “I am merely looking for my son.”

“Of course, of course.” A glass filled with an amber colored liquid appeared in Discord’s hand as he floated by. “However, we both know why you are doing that.”

“Hrmph. The Youth of today. They disobey their elders, contempt for authority….”

“…Contradict their parents, chatter before company, tyrannize their teachers, and so on and so forth.” Discord yawned, “I distinctly remember your grandfather saying the same thing about his son, and His own Grandfather said the same of him.”

“Every generation must have its faults, but….”

Clagan pushed open a heavy wooden door. As it slowed to a stop with a groan, the sound of many heavy items falling could be heard, along with a panicked yelp. A flood of books washed up in front of the earth stallion and Discord. After a few moments of rustling a brown coated and maned stallion poked his head out of the pile.

“This is not quite what I meant.”

“Oh, Hello father. Discord sir.” The stallion gave the other two a lopsided grin, “I..erm, can explain what I was doing.”

“I would imagine so.” Clagan’s frown grew, “Wasting a fine day like this cooped up in this dusty old library.”

“Father, there is nothing fine about today.” Time Turner frowned, “I like rainy, gloomy days. They’re the perfect sort of days to stay inside and read.”

“Nonsense. Stallions such as yourself should be out in the world, experiencing what it has to offer.” Clagan paused, “Discord, don’t even think about it.”

“…Oh fine.” The draconequus pouted, “But we haven’t had a good Chocolate Rainstorm in a while. Just why are you in here anyway, Turny?”

“Ah! That’s the important part.” Time Turner struggled for a bit, digging himself out of the pile, “I...have…found…ah!” Time Turner plopped onto the floor.

“I have found a prophecy that is of great interest and concern. See, according to this book, and this one, as well as this astrological chart, It is almost the day that…

Time Turner trailed off as Clagan held up one hoof.

“Enough.” The Stallion rumbled, “I do not have time for this. I am here to inform you that I have found you an opportunity to gain some much needed life experience, as well as a job. A vacancy for a minor position in a small town has opened up, and I am sending you to take it.”

“But…” Time Turner meekly interrupted.

“But nothing.” Clagan sighed, “Time Turner…you must learn to live life, not simply exist. Go out and do things. Have friends. Find a lover. Lose a lover. Just experience what life has to offer. You are to report to the Train station in Two hours, do not miss it.”

“..Yes father.”

Time Turner stood and trotted past the stallion and Discord. The two watched him as he made his way down the stairs and out of sight.

“…You know, I could just teleport him there.” Discord grumbled, “just a snap of the fingers and bam, reporting for duty, Mayor.”

“Let him take the train. He might meet somepony.” Clagan shook his head.

“Really?” Discord floated above the stallion, smirking. “Sending your poor, eldest son on a train by himself? Why, you’d be lucky if he didn’t set it on fire by the time it gets to its destination.” Discord blinked. “What town are you sending him to anyway?”

“Ah, a small place called…”

PONYVILLE-CANTERLOT RAILWAY

“Ponyville.” Time Turner muttered. “I haven’t even heard of this town before, and out of all the places to go he sends me there.”

Time Turner sighed, closed his eyes and rested his forehead against the glass, “I never even got to tell him what tomorrow i-”

“Pardon me, sir.”

Time Turner’s thoughts are interrupted by a drawling voice. Opening his eyes, Time Turner is met by a large red earth stallion with a short messy yellow mane and goldenrod earth mare with a large curly orange mane. The stallion appeared to be heavily leaning on the mare in an awkward way.

“…er…yes?” Time Turner’s eyebrow rose at the couple.

“You said you were headin’ th’ Ponyville?” the Stallion inquired.

“Indeed I am.”

“you wouldn’t mind if we sat across from ya, would you?” The Stallion chuckled, “see, I broke my prosthetic, and it’d be easier for me ta stay close t’ a door.”

“Oh, go ahead.” Time Turner motioned to the empty seat across from him, “No pony is using it.”

“Thank ya kindly.”

The two ponies hobble over to the seat, giving Time Turner a good look at their cutie marks; a Green Apple and a Bunch of Carrots.

“Mac just shift a little…alright there.” The mare set the stallion into the seat. “Honestly, you need to take it easy on that leg. I know you get a deal on them and all, but it still takes a chunk out of the farm’s finances.”

“I told her it needed ta be sturdier.” The Stallion, Mac, grumbled.

“You punched a Buffalo.” The mare countered, “We’re lucky you aren’t in the hospital, or even worse the morgue.”

“You don’t insult th’ Apple family’s name like that.” The stallion grunted.

“…Apple family?” Time Turner’s eyebrow rose in interest, “Seems like you have quite an interesting life.”

“Eeyup.” The stallion nodded. “I’m Big Macintosh.”

“oh, The head of the Sweet Apple Collective.” Time Turner shrugged, “Very impressive numbers, might I add.”

“Beg your pardon?” The Mare’s own eyebrow rose in suspicion.

“…Oh, right. I’m Time Turner, from Canterlot. I’ve seen some of the forms and information you’ve had to send to the government. Very impressive numbers given the size of the collective.” Time Turner shrugged again.

“…thank you?” The mare responded in a confused tone. “I’m Carrot Top, by the way.”

“Ah, the one in charge of finances. You realize you would have a better profit margin if..”

Big Macintosh coughed, interrupting Time Turner.

“Mr. Turner, we find that keepin’ th’ individual farmers on their feet is a better use of some of our extra income. Ain’t nopony getting’ rich, but no pony’s gonna starve either.”

“I suppose.” Time Turner shrugged, “Still, you could be doing better than you are now.”

“We’ll keep that in mind” Carrot Top grumbled.

“Anyway, Mr. Turner,” Big Macintosh continued, “can I ask why you’re headin’ to Ponyville?”

“Oh, job opportunities.” The stallion vacantly waved his hoof, “My father wants me to gain more working experience.”

“well…we can always use another hand at th’ farm if it th’ job you’re applyin’ for don’t work out.” The farm stallion offered.

“..I’m not much for physical activity.” Time Turner grimaced.

“Little bit o’ hard work never hurt no pony.” Big Macintosh chuckled.

“NEXT STOP PONYVILLE!” the conductor called out, alerting the passengers.

“Mr. Turner, I hate to be a bother, but would you mind assisting me with Big Macintosh here?” Carrot Top embarrassedly smiled. “It would be easier for two ponies to help him along, and I’m certain your soon-to-be employer would understand.”

“...I suppose.”

THE PONYVILLE TRAIN STATION

“No, no, more to the left!” Time Turner instructed Carrot Top.

“If I go anymore to the left, he’s going to smack his head against the doorframe!”

“No, My left!” the stallion tugged Big Macintosh away.

“We have the same left!” the mare shot back.

“Oh fine. Just…”

The three managed to exit the train, their hooves clattering atop the station’s deck. A mulberry earth mare glanced at them, before calling out.

“There you two are!”

“Berry?” Big Macintosh called out as the earth mare trotted over.

“We need you at the farm.” Berry sighed, “Long story short, Roseluck and Applejack are arguing about the latest product from Wilted Leaf’s farm.”

Carrot Top sighed. “I can’t send Mac there without his leg.”

“Mr. Turner, I’m sorry, but I think I’m gonna need your help for a bit longer.” Big Macintosh apologized.

“Oh it’s fine.” The other stallion grumbled, “It’s not like I have anything else to do today.”

“Alright then, Carrot, you go with Berry Punch an’ take care o’ it.” Big Macintosh ordered the two mares, who quickly nodded and trotted off.
“Mr. Turner, I’m awfully sorry ‘bout this.”

“Oh, no, don’t worry. Just but into my plans for the day” Time Turner deadpanned under his breath.

“What was that?”

“Where do I have to take you?” Time Turner quickly changed his comment.

“We gotta head towards th’ Mechanical Boutique.”

The two stallions struggled their way downtown.

“It’s rather busy isn’t it?” Time Turner moved to the side to avoid bumping into two fillies, “Is it always like this?”

“Nope. Something important must be goin’ on.” Big Macintosh frowned, “Which is kinda odd, sense we didn’t hear anything before we left.”

“I-”

“Hey Mac!” a new male voice called out. A dark grey pegasus stallion landed. Time Turner took an involuntary step back once he got a good look at the newcomer; the pegasus’s silver blue mane was done up in a intimidating mohawk. Coupled with several scars on his muzzle and forelegs and his thundercloud cutiemark, Time Turner could not help but feel intimidated by the new comer.

“...Mac, you busted your leg again?” The pegasus shook his head, “You better have a good story behind that, otherwise I bet Rarity’s gonna lay it on you good this time.”

“…Eyup.” The farmstallion nodded.

“Who’s the new guy?” the pegasus jerked his head at Time Turner, “and why’s he looking at me like that?”

“oh right, Thunderlane, Time Turner. He’s from Canterlot.”

“Heh.” The pegasus, Thunderlane smirked, “What’s a big city guy like him doing here?”

“Looking for work, Mr, ah, Thunderlane.” Time Turner responded.

“An’ as for why he’s lookin’ at you like that,” Big Macintosh chuckled, “You ain’t exactly th’ friendliest lookin’ fella around, Thunderlane.”

Thunderlane laughed, “I suppose so, Mac.” The pegasus shifted his attention to Time Turner, “Time Turner, right?”
Once Time Turner nodded, Thunderlane continued, “I’m not a bad guy, once you get to know me. Don’t let looks fool you.”

“I’ll remember that.”

“Anyway, you need a hoof, Mac?” Thunderlane turned back to the farm stallion, “It’ll be easier that way.”

“That would be mighty helpful.” Big Macintosh nodded.

Thunderlane trotted over to Big Macintosh’s left, and struggled to support the stallion.

“Damn, Mac, what have you been eatin’?” the pegasus grunted.

“…sorry.”

“Let’s just get you to Rarity’s.”

The three stallions began to make their way down the street again.

Author's Note:

Thanks to DeathRiseRobo for proofreading.