• Published 6th Mar 2013
  • 21,635 Views, 1,447 Comments

A New Home - APoeticHeart



A young human child abused by his father wishes to live in a new home, and wishes for someone to love him.

  • ...
65
 1,447
 21,635

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Fourteen: Consoling Toby (Edited)

Rainbow Dash was soaring high among the clouds above Ponyville looking closely for the small child. "Come on little buddy, where are you?" She quietly said to herself. She flew above Ponyville passing by nearing the Everfree Forest. She decided to slowly come to a hover, and slowly descend to the ground. She looked toward the forest with reluctance. "I sure do hope he isn't hurt." She thought to herself as she carefully trotted into the forest.

As she was trotting deeper into the forest she saw it was getting darker by the minute. With each hoofstep she got nervous. "Please be here Toby." She quietly whispered as she trotted on.

Suddenly in front of her she saw a timberwolf, but it didn't see her. Instead it was busy trying to get something in a bush. She slowly turned to trot away until she heard a small cry. "P-please s-someone help!" She gasped knowing that it was Toby's small voice.

She turned around abruptly, and bent her hindlegs. She stretched out her forelegs, and lowered her head with a scowl of anger on her face. She eyed the timberwolf with all nervousness thrown out the window. "Hey you!" The Timberwolf blinked it's glowing green eyes, and turned it's head. "Yea you, you useless toothpick! Leave that colt alone!" The wolf roared loudly, and charged at her. She smirked, and blasted off into the sky. "Follow me you pile of firewood!" She flew straight ahead causing the wolf to turn, and chase after her.

She flew ahead until she found a cliff to land on. She hovered slowly descended onto the top of the cliff. She looked around, and found a big boulder. "Hmm..that should put that timberwolf out of his misery." She flew to the boulder, and got behind it. "Alright Dash, put all your strength into it." She stood up on her hindlegs, and turned to face her back, and wings toward the boulder. She dug the heels of her hindhooves into the ground, and started pushing the boulder to the edge.

She slowly walked to the side of the boulder to look over the cliff's edge to see if the timberwolf was far behind. She looked down to see it right on the spot where she wanted to drop the boulder. "See you later Woody!" She got back behind the boulder and pushed it with all her might. It slowly slid off the cliff crashing down ontop of the timberwolf shattering it into small sticks, and twigs. Rainbow hovered above the cliff, and looked down at her work. "Gotcha!" She hovered down to the forest floor, and trotted back into the woods to find Toby.


Toby swallowed deeply, and very carefully got on his hands and knees to crawl out of the bush he was hiding in. As he crawled out he carefully stood up still shaking with fear. He looked up to see the patches of sunlight fading. "It sure is scary in these woods." He just stood there hugging himself tightly trembling without knowing where to go.

He could faintly hear something moving towards him, and slowly turned toward the direction of the sound. He looked to see the cyan pegasus lightly galloping toward him. He turned to run, but tripped over a root of the tree. He fell to the ground with a soft thud as he turned to see Rainbow just a few inches away. He looked up at her trembling and covered himself with his arms, and hands.

"P-please R-Rainbow D-Dash. D-don't hurt me, p-please." He begged with a whimper. He couldn't help, but remember the bad dream he had.

Rainbow frowned down at the frightened little colt, and gently trotted to his side. "Shh..it is okay little buddy. I'm not going to hurt you." She gently sat down on her haunches, and reached a forehoof to rub at his back to try, and comfort him. "Shh...come here kid, let me take you to Twilight's."

Toby just shook with sobs as Rainbow carefully got up and trotted around to Toby's back as he laid curled still covering himself with is arms, and hands. Uncharacteristically, she very carefully place her forelegs underneath his small trembling frame, and cradled him to her chest as she hovered in the air. She gently leaned her head down to nuzzle at his cheek.

Toby opened his eyes with tears streaming down his cheek which caused Rainbow Dash to frown. "P-p-please Rainbow. D-don't tell R-Rarity that I-I got my outfit dirty." He turned his head, and buried it into Rainbow's chest fur.

She couldn't help, but tear up herself, although she hated to show her sensitive side when she looked down at the poor child. "Shh..just try to close your eyes, and rest, okay buddy? We will be at Twilight's soon." With that she looked for a patch in the top of the trees, and flew up through it. She kept the little colt cradled to her chest as she flew toward the library.


Rainbow Dash arrived at the library as Luna's moon started to rise against the dark blue canvas above, and hovered above the door knocking on it with a hindhoof with Toby cradled in her forelegs. The door opened to reveal Twilight, and Rainbow carefully hovered inside. "Hey girls, I found him in the Everfree Forest being cornered by a timberwolf." She carefully hovered over to the group who were all sitting in a circle. Rainbow carefully lowered Toby onto one extra pillow. "I got rid of it though before it could get him.

Fluttershy frowned as she saw him shaking, and could hear faint little sobs. "Oh, my precious little one." She carefully stood up, and trotted close to him nuzzling at him. "Momma's here baby, please don't cry." She laid down beside him, and laid a wing over him to try to keep him warm. She looked up at Rainbow with a soft smile. "Thank you so much Rainbow for finding him, and saving him." Rainbow just nodded, and smiled softly.


The others looked at the little colt with concerned as Rainbow laid down on the other pillow provided by Applejack. She turned to Rarity. "Rarity..uh..he begged me not to tell you that he got his outfit dirty."

Rarity looked at Rainbow with tears in her eyes then back at the little colt under Fluttershy's wing. She carefully got up, and trotted over to the other side of Toby, and laid down with her legs tucked under her. She gently lowered her head next to his, and softly whispered. "Shh..Toby darling, don't be afraid of getting your outfit dirty. I am not mad at you at all precious. I can get it washed up without any trouble. Please little one, don't cry, your Auntie Rarity is here." She gave him a light kiss on his cheek.

Rainbow looked around the library to notice that Princess Luna. "Ohmigosh, Princess Luna. I didn't even see you, I am so sorry." She stood up, and bowed.

Princess Luna shook her head softly, and gently raised a forehoof. "No need to apologize at all my friend Rainbow Dash. I am here, because my fellow princess, and friend Twilight Sparkle, wrote my sister a letter about young Toby being gone." She frowned a bit, and lowered her head. "I volunteered to come while I watched after the castle, because last night Toby had a nightmare which caused him to run away. However, I was unable to enter into his dreams in time. For some reason I couldn't sense his mind's thoughts right then."


Twilight gently spoke up. "Don't blame yourself Luna, no one could have known he was having a nightmare." She gave Luna a soft reassuring smile, and then looked down at the poor little colt.

Princess Luna nodded lightly, and gently spoke to everypony. "My friends, I think we should go into Toby's mind again to see what would cause him to run away like he did."

Fluttershy looked up at the others then at Luna. "Um..you mean back into his memories Princess Luna?"

Luna nodded. "Yes my kind Fluttershy. I promise it will be as calm as the last time we went, and it would cause him no pain." Fluttershy nodded. "Alright my friends, I need to you all to stand in a circle around him."

They all nodded as Fluttershy, and Rarity carefully stood up so not to disturb the small child. Applejack gently covered him with a blanket to keep him warm. The rest stood around Toby as Luna stood at his feet.

"Alright, like we did last time, just close your eyes, and relax." Luna spoke softly as she closed her eyes with everypony else. Her horn lit up and the usual warm light blue glow surrounded them. "Prepare yourselves, my friends, here we go."


*After several minutes*

Toby started to stir, and slowly opened his eyes. As he did he looked up to see everypony looking down at him with worried looks. Remembering back his bad dream he eeped, and crawled backwards up against the bottom of a bookshelf. He looked up at all of them, and started trembling.

"P-p-please, I-I promise I-I will be a good human. P-p-please just don't hurt me." He started tearing up once again, and covered his head with his arms, and hands.

They all looked at him worriedly as Luna was the first one to carefully trot up to him. She gently laid a wing over his shaking form, and carefully brought him close to her forelegs. "Toby dear, please don't be afraid. It was all just a bad dream." She frowned as Toby kept his head hidden within his arms, and hands. She lowered her head, and very gently nuzzled the top of his. "Shhh..it is okay young Toby. Please little one, look up at me." She spoke with the softest of voices.


He carefully lowered his arms, and hands uncovering his head. He looked up at Luna with tears in his eyes. "I-I-I would n-never h-hurt an animal, nor p-pony P-Princess L-Luna. I-I love animals." He couldn't help but stand up shaking on his legs, and wrapped his arms around Luna's neck crying into her chest fur.

Luna reached up a foreleg, and gently rubbed at Toby's back softly with a forehoof, and lowered her head to gently nuzzle into his hair. "Shh...dear one, it is okay. You are nothing at all like those humans that the dream version of my friends told you about."

Applejack carefully trotted up. "Princess Luna, may Ah'?" Luna nodded, and gently let go of Toby with her forehoof, and lifted her wing off him. "Come here to Auntie Applejack, sugarcube." She lifted a foreleg up to motion him over for a hug.

He reached up with an arm of his own to wipe at his eyes. "O-Oh A-Auntie Applejack, I-I am so s-sorry that I dreamt of you doing that to me." He walked up to her, and hugged her gently around her neck releasing light sobs into her chest fur.

She gently hugged him back, and rubbed at his back with her forehoof. "Shh..now now sugarcube, there ain't no reason for ya to apologize. Ya just had a bad dream, that is all." She gave him a gentle kiss on the top of his head as he shook with sobs. "That is right sweetheart, just let it out. It isn't good to keep all that emotion held in." She rubbed and patted at his back.

Pinkie was the next one to step up. "My turn, my turn!" She said a little excitedly.

Toby gently broke his hug from Applejack as she smiled down at him. Toby giggled a little at Pinkie's excitement as he wiped at his tears again.

Pinkie smiled brightly at the little colt as she sat on her haunches. "Come here you little wittle cutie!" She gently swept him up in her forelegs, and gave him a big warm hug as he wrapped his arms around her neck laying his head against her chest this time. "That dream Pinkie was being a real mean meanie pants to you! I would never want to shoot such a little wittle sweetie like you out of my party cannon! I love you calling me Auntie Pinkie, so don't ever be afraid to call me that, okie dokie lokie?" She nuzzled at the top of his head gently.

"Okay, okay come here you little rascal. Before I get too sappy." Rainbow Dash waved him over with a foreleg as Pinkie set him down. He walked up to Rainbow, and wrapped his arms around her neck, laying his head against her chest. "I am sorry little buddy for the dream version of me kicking you like she did, and calling you a weakling." She gently pulled him away, and looked down into his eyes. "You are stronger than anypony I know, because you have a big heart." She smiled, and gently rubbed at the top of his head with a forehoof.

Twilight was next to step forward. "Come here sweetheart, I want to show you some real magic." Toby gently nodded as his tears was finally starting to calm down. Twilight lit her horn up surrounding Toby with the same purple aura like the dream Twilight, but this was much more gentle as she brought him forward to her, and wrapped her forelegs, and wings around him gently. He laid his head against her chest fur. She laid her head on top of his and nuzzled. "We all love you Toby, and we would never dream of hurting you like that in your dream. Don't ever apologize for dreaming of us doing something that to you, it was all just a bad dream." She kissed the top of his head.

She gently released her hug and Rarity was next. "Come here precious, it is Auntie Rarity's turn." He smiled softly as he walked up to her, and she placed her foreleg over his shoulder, and gently pulled him against her warm chest as he gently hugged her around her neck. "Darling, that dream Rarity was no such lady at all. She was as much of a brute as I ever saw one. I would never, ever think about using your furless body or your mane for clothing. That is simply barbaric." She kissed the top of his head. "But don't you ever blame yourself for the bad dreams you have, okay precious?"

He looked up at her, and smiled softly. "O-okay Auntie Rarity, I-I love you."

She smiled, and patted at his back gently. "Auntie Rarity loves you too darling!"

Fluttershy timidly stood behind Rarity as Toby looked up after gently releasing his hug from her, and ran towards Fluttershy crashing into her, but not knocking her down and wrapped his arms around her neck. "O-oh M-Momma, can you forgive me for dreaming that you would hurt me like that? I should have never thought that any of you would hurt me." He sobbed some again into Flutterhy's chest fur.

She reached up, and wrapped a foreleg around him gently nuzzling the top of his head. "Shh..my precious little one..shh..Momma loves you, and always will. Of course sweetie, I forgive you, you done nothing wrong, but have a bad dream, that is all." She gently pulled him away just for a second, and looked into his eyes. "I will always love you Toby, even if you are not a pony, I promise." She hugged him warmly.

Luna smiled warmly at all the ponies showing their love for the little colt as she stood in the background. She slowly trotted up as Flutttershy was hugging Toby, and gently spoke. "Now dear Toby, there is something we would like to tell you, but please don't think we are mad at you, okay little one?"

Fluttershy gently released Toby to speak first choking back a couple sobs. She blinked her eyes to subdue her tears as she looked down into his. "Toby sweetie, Applebloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle told us about yesterday at school." He looked up at her, and around at the others with a little bit of fear. Fluttershy shook her head softly. "Shh..don't be scared Toby, we aren't mad at you. They told us about how the little filly Diamond Tiara was being mean toward you."


Toby nodded lightly. Fluttershy smiled warmly. "Sweetie, is what Diamond Tiara said to you the reason you asked me last night if I loved you? Even though you aren't a pony?" He replied with a sad nod, and lowered his head.

The others looked at Fluttershy with a shocked look, except for Rainbow Dash.

Applejack spoke up gently. "Sugarcube, ya shouldn't let words like what that little filly says get to you." She smiled softly at him, and rubbed at the side of his arm with a forehoof. "Next time she or anypony says something like that to you sweetheart, ya come to either one of us, and we will be there to listen. Okay little feller?"

He nodded softly. "O-okay Auntie Applejack."

Rarity reached over with a forehoof, and rubbed at his other arm gently. "Yes darling, we are always here for you if you want to talk. Like I told you the day we were out on the balcony of Canterlot Castle, you inspired me with my new line of fashion I have decided to start." She smiled warmly at him, and gently asked. "Would you like for me to take your outfit to the boutique to get washed precious?"

He smiled softly, and nodded. "Y-yes please Auntie Rarity." He carefully unzipped the jacket, and took it off. Rarity gently lit her horn up, and levitated it over to her side.

They all gave a little yawn along with Toby. Fluttershy smiled, and let out a little giggle. "Is some special little colt sleepy?" She kissed the top of his head.

He looked up, and nodded. "Y-yes Momma. I am sleepy." He reached up with a small hand, and rubbed at his eyes.

Fluttershy gently motioned for him to climb up on her back if he wanted, and he obliged. He looked at the others. "G-goodnight Auntie Applejack, Auntie Rarity, Auntie Pinkie, Auntie Rainbow, Auntie Twilight, and Auntie Luna! I love you all!"

"We all love you Toby! Goodnight sweetheart!" They all said in unison, even Rainbow Dash.

Fluttershy smiled warmly at all of her friends. "Goodnight girls. We will see you tomorrow." She waved a wing lightly, and trotted out of the library.



After returning home from a long day Fluttershy was tucking Toby into her big warm soft bed. "Toby sweetie, would you like for me to sing you a lullabye I have been thinking of for you."

He smiled up warmly into her sky blue eyes, and nodded. "Y-yes Momma, I would like that!" He comfortably curled up underneath the covers on his side, and laid his head on the soft white pillow.

"Okay my precious little one. I came up with this just for you. Just know Toby that I will always love you, and it doesn't matter if you are a pony or not, because you are my son." She leaned her head toward him, and kissed him gently on the cheek. She took a slow deep breath, and began singing with the softest of voices.

"No more tears be shed
No more broken hearts
I'll always be there to tuck you into bed
And pick up all the parts
I'll make the days not seem so blue
By always being there for you
On your brightest days, and darkest nights
I'll hold you close, and take away your frights
I wouldn't know what to do
If I wasn't there to care for you
It doesn't matter if we're the same or not
You're the wish I've always sought
I'll always be there within your sight
And I'll love you for the rest of my life
Whether you're awake or resting your head
I'll always say what needs to be said
Now rest while I wipe away your tears
And imagine how we'll be in many years
As I put the pieces back in place
And tie them together with a golden lace
Until the sun breaks through with its golden light
I'll always hold you ever so tight..."

She smiled warmly as the little colt slept peacefully. She gave him one more gentle kiss on his cheek. "Goodnight my sweet little Toby. Momma loves you!" She carefully turned, and quietly trotted downstairs.

Luna's moon shined beautifully in the night sky, and glistened a warm glow through Fluttershy's window comforting the small child as he slept.

Author's Note:

First, I want to apologize for not getting this chapter posted as soon as I planned to earlier today. Next, I would like to first thank you all for your continuous support for this story, which is my very first fimfic. I truly appreciate all of your comments, criticism, etc. I am simply astounded by the many likes and favorites that this story has earned, and it touches me deeply to know that I am able to really pull you all into my writing. So thank you all once again.

One person I would like to give credit to is CJY101 who shared with me the lullabye/poem at the end of this chapter. I thank him for allowing me the chance to use it in my story and it is very beautiful.

Next person is Mr101 who gave me the advice of going with the verbal abuse or less torturing method in Chapter Twelve. I wanted to go dark with it, but thanks to Mr101, I didn't go too dark, at least I hope not.

Lastly, I want to give credit to all who have given me great advice throught this story so far. Thank you all so much again. Next chapter should be up I hope either by tomorrow, or tomorrow evening. :)

PreviousChapters Next