• Published 1st Mar 2013
  • 598 Views, 10 Comments

The Vault - Educated Guess



The stories of a place lost to time: those who found it, that which was held within, and those who came too late. A companion story to The Life of Fear.

  • ...
 10
 598

V-372: A Standing Mirror

Item Number: V-372
Designations: Unsolved, Contained
Administrator: Lord Pendragon
Lead Researcher: Agent Hartstrom

Procedure: When V-372-1 is inactive, it is to be stored in the office of Lord Pendragon for normal use. When V-372-1 is about to enter an active phase, it is to be moved to Site 6 for containment, observation, and experimentation. Any information gained about V-372-2 during active-phase explorations is to be fully disclosed during the exploratory agent’s debriefing. If any agent is found to have been withholding information for any reason, they will be severely reprimanded.

Following Incident V-372-C, all personnel are to be thoroughly screened for erotic proclivities towards hands, fingers, and other similar minotoid and draconoid physical features before being assigned to the V-372 research team.

Note: The exit location of the gate notwithstanding, V-372 does not lead to a toybox, nor a playground. However much it may seem like only a perversion of our own world, remember that they would probably think the same of us if they ever came through the other way. -Lord Pendragon

Description: V-372-1 is an ornate full-length mirror, approximately 8 feet in height when including the pedestal and upper ornamentation. The mirror itself is a 5-and-a-half foot tall oval, and seems to be made of glass backed by an unidentified reflective material - its apparent fragility has prevented heavier testing. It is edged by a horseshoe shape made of enchanted steel, which is decorated with stripes of silver filigree and 11 diamond-cut pink sapphires. Additional swirls of steel decorate the outer edge of the horseshoe, and additional upside-down horseshoe shapes adorn the lower tier of the pedestal. The bottom of the mirror is directly connected to the pedestal, giving the construction a gate-like appearance.

V-372-2 is an alternate dimension to our own reality. For every sapient being that exists in our world, a counterpart exists in V-372-2. Other than that, very little else is known.

Every thirty lunar cycles, two days before the full moon, V-372-1 enters an active phase which lasts for exactly three days. During this time, the surface of the mirror becomes pliable, and V-372-2 is able to be entered. Exploration on the other side during these periods has revealed the following properties:

>The exit location of V-372-1 is one of four (4) mirrors set into the pedestal of a statue, which resides in the courtyard of what appears to be some sort of young-adult educational facility. Thankfully, during the first active phase in which V-372-2 was explored, the facility was in an off season, allowing relatively unhindered access by our personnel.

>The local sapient race is bipedal and bibrachial, similar to minotaurs. Closer examination of their bone structure reveals a close relation to primates.

>The local sapient race speaks a language that is almost completely identical to common Ponnish.

>Any pony or griffon entering the portal takes on the form of the local sapient race. While in this form, they lose any extraordinary abilities their previous bodies may have had, in addition to obvious physical detriments. For instance, since the form of the local sapient race lacks wings, pegasi and griffons lose the ability to fly. Unicorns also lose the ability to use magic, though whether this is due to lack of a channeling structure in their body, or due to the world’s lack of a thaumic field, is still to be determined.

>Testing involving sending smaller-sized and non-sapient creatures through V-372-1 has produced wildly varying results. (See Testing Log 372-Alpha below)

>Testing involving enchanted or magically-sensitive inanimate objects has generally resulted in V-372-2 causing the disappearance or deactivation of any such properties. Permission is pending from Administration to attempt to use V-372 as a disposal system for hazardous artifacts, such as V-244.

Note: Keep in mind that this is a whole world that we’re dealing with. Sure, things like quartz rods, spellbooks, and swords from the blacksmith down the street lose their auras, and that’s that, but with the V-series items, there are too many unknown factors. If something happened that we weren’t expecting, we’d be putting an entire reality in danger. I’m still not convinced that it’s worth the risk. -Viceroy Cooper


Testing Log 372-Alpha:

Each testing session is comprised of the tests performed within a three-day active period. Tests are denoted as follows:

appearance in our world :: appearance in V-372-2

With additional comments following each entry, if necessary.

Session One:

rabbit :: rabbit

ferret :: ferret

flea :: flea

This test was not purposeful, but has been catalogued regardless. Following it, stricter initial cleaning procedures were enforced for personnel involved in testing with V-372.

mouse :: mouse

toucan :: toucan

Note: In the future, please ask permission before using your coworker’s pets for any kind of experimentation. -Agent Hartstrom

fish :: fish

sea turtle :: tortoise

This was the first experiment that resulted in a changed form for a non-sentient creature.

Beatrice, a cow that was serving as an assistant cook in the facility kitchens :: cow

When sent through V-372-1, Beatrice appeared to lose all higher brain function. She could no longer speak, and did not seem to react to or recognize her name or any other speech. During a short period of observation, the only action she took was to walk slowly over to a nearby patch of grass and begin eating. She was eventually led back through V-372-1 by Order personnel. Once back in our world, she began screaming and thrashing uncontrollably, and was quickly sedated and transported to the facility sick-bay. Further testing with semi-sapients has been suspended indefinitely, pending a full review of the incident.

End of Session One



Session Two:

Due to the non-magical nature of V-372-2, Dr. Menendez had acquired administrative permission to experiment on inherently magical creatures during this session.

tortoise :: sea turtle

This test was simply to confirm transformation symmetry from the previous session.

Note: We’re not sure why turtles and tortoises become the other when they enter V-372-2. Either it’s an intentional feature, or some kind of dimensional error, but either way, there must be something important about them. Further research is recommended. -Dr. Menendez

phoenix :: pile of ash

While kept in V-372-2, the phoenix did not reincarnate within any normal timeframe. When brought back into our world, the ash again seemed to remain inactive. After approximately five hours, reincarnation finally occurred. However, it reincarnated into a hatchling. The hatchling had no apparent memories, and was imprinting upon Order personnel in a manner normal for hatchlings fresh from their eggs. This suggests that entry into V-372-2 reset the phoenix’s entire life cycle. The hatchling was given as a gift to Director Barton.

isolated timber wolf core :: stick

Inside of V-372-2, the core showed no unique or unusual properties, and no attraction towards other plant debris. When brought back into our world, the timber wolf was allowed to attempt to reassemble. While it was once again able to attract pieces to itself, it was no longer able to assemble or control any useful form. It is being held for further observation.

basilisk :: statue of a basilisk

The statue did not revert when returned to our world, and was placed into permanent storage. Following this test, further testing with magical creatures was deemed too potentially harmful, and all other planned tests were canceled.

End of Session Two



Session Three:

Session Three is planned for the next active phase.

Comments ( 1 )

I'm keeping track of this story, because it seems like it could be interesting. After the first couple of chapters though, it just turned into.. an item list. I figure that's going somewhere eventually, right now it's just a bit confusing.

Login or register to comment