• Published 25th Feb 2013
  • 1,975 Views, 17 Comments

The Subordinate Six: The Ensemble - Legendary Emerald



Las Pegasus, the entertainment capital of Equestria. Lyra and Bon Bon are preparing to start a new life, but run into some familiar faces. Can they make it in this town of glitz, glamor, and crazy ponies?

  • ...
2
 17
 1,975

The Ensemble (4/4)

Episode 1: The Ensemble

Part 4/4

by Legendary Emerald

Two tickets swiftly exchanged hooves. Bubbles dragged Bon Bon past the doorpony and into the theater, their hooves not bothering to touch the ground.

“Bubbles, please,” Bon Bon begged as Bubbles raised her above the other ponies milling about in the auditorium, holding onto the pegasus by only one hoof, “I know you're excited, but there's no rush.”

“I've never been invited to a show here before! We need to get the best seats possible!” Bubbles replied, holding her spare forehoof over her brow as she scanned the pews.

"Can't we just sit somewhere back here, where nopony will notice us?” Bon Bon asked with a polite smile.

"Ahah! Found a spot in the splash zone!” Bubbles answered, eyes lighting up. Her wings began to flap harder.

“Splash? I don't think it's that kind of shoooow!” Bon Bon's words trailed after her as Bubbles swooped forward through the air, Bon Bon trailing behind like a kite string.

Bon Bon was unceremoniously dropped down onto a cushioned pew in the second row. Bubbles dropped next to her, almost causing Bon Bon to fall out of her seat.

“Why does this keep happening to me?” Bon Bon whimpered, holding her head between her hooves. “The concert hasn't even started and already I have a headache.”

“'S up?” a familiar voice called from Bon Bon's right. She turned her head to see that she was seated next to Vinyl Scratch. “Not-Lyra, right?”

“Bon Bon,” Bon Bon corrected in an even tone.

“Ah. Silly me." Vinyl shrugged.

“Don't worry Vinyl, I forget her name all the time too,” Bubbles piped in with a smile.

“Right? It's just so unmemorable,” Vinyl concurred, throwing her hooves to the side.

“Well, I see you two know each other already,” Bon Bon huffed.

“Of course!” Bubbles said, stretching her hoof out across Bon Bon and towards Vinyl.

“Not really. She delivers the mail,” Vinyl answered, ignoring the hoof-bump attempt and causing the mail mare to deflate. “There was that one time she crashed a delivery truck through the record store, though. Demolished the entire pop-rock aisle and nearly gave Eurp a heart attack. Pretty awesome.”

“Yeah, that was pretty neat,” Bubbles said, smiling as she retracted her hoof. “For some reason they never asked me to drive again after that.”

“Tragic.” Vinyl closed her eyes and nodded.

“I see,” Bon Bon said, taking a flyer from behind the seat in front of her and familiarizing herself with the set list for the evening.

The lights in the room began to dim until the entire auditorium was taken over by darkness. A hush fell over the gathered crowd.

“Ooh, it's starting!” Bubbles said, lightly clapping her hooves together.

A single light came back on over the stage. The spotlight illuminated a brown and white pony wearing a blue bow-tie and white collar.

“Good afternoon, everypony,” Frédéric addressed the crowd. He looked out over the crowd for a moment, taking in the silence. He took in a deep breath through his nose and let it out slowly; as he did so, the curtain behind him split apart, moving towards either end of the stage and revealing Octavia, Lyra, and Beauty Brass, instruments in their hooves. “We are the Equestrian Greats. And we will now begin.”

Frédéric turned from the crowd and stepped towards his piano, set just to the right of the other performers.

“Wooh! Rock em' dead!” Bubbles cheered. Vinyl smirked, while Bon Bon hid her face in her pamphlet.

"Thank Nightmare for the dark,” Bon Bon whispered to herself, beet-red.

Seated behind his piano, Frédéric tapped his hoof against the ground three times. On the third tap, all four of the musicians began to play.

As the song played, the uniqueness of the ensemble made itself immediately apparent. The four instruments on stage worked together in unusual ways. Frédéric's piano and Octavia's cello traded the main melody back and forth, and Lyra's lyre lent support to the melody, plucked and strummed through the finesse of her magic rather than her blunt hooves. Beauty Brass's sousaphone rose to task when called for, and played an extended solo midway through the piece. It was an eclectic mix, to be sure, but the audience was captivated nevertheless.

“Oh, wow. They're really good,” Bon Bon whispered partway through the song.

“Meh.” Vinyl shrugged. “I'm really only here for Octavia. A bit disappointed Lyra isn't really playing in her sleep, though.”

“Speaking of,” Bon Bon interjected, “what was the plan if a harpist or lyrist couldn't be found in time?”

“Kazoos,” Vinyl deadpanned.

“Kazoos?” Bon Bon asked, a grim set to her mouth.

“Three ponies walk on stage wearing black business suits and dark sunglasses. They take out their five bit kazoos and take the audience on an jazz odyssey for the ages,” Vinyl explained, taking Bon Bon's flyer and rolling it up into a tube before handing it back.

“You're pulling my hoof, aren't you?” Bon Bon asked warily, looking to her left and right before dropping the ruined pamphlet to the ground.

“Why? You feeling sore?” Vinyl asked with a smirk.

The song came to an end, and the only sound that could be heard was Bubbles' clapping hooves. Several ponies began to look in their direction. Bon Bon scooted away from Bubbles and nearer Vinyl, who pushed her back towards Bubbles.

Curiously, the next song did not start right away. Frédéric's eyes minuetly gazed around himself, and so the other musicians did the same.

“It's already over?” Bubbles asked, standing. “What a gype! Good thing we got our tickets for free, huh Bon Bon?”

Bon Bon dragged Bubbles back into her seat. On stage, Frédéric shrugged and began to tap his hoof against the ground three times. On the last hoof fall, Octavia played a single note.

“Behold!”

The cello was silenced as the front of the stage exploded into multicolored smoke at the bold proclamation, causing the crowd to gasp. From inside the cloud, the figure of a pony in a cape and wizard-hat could barely be made out. Bubbles curled up in her seat and grabbed hold of her tail.

“This stage has been taken over! By the great! And powerful! Trixie!”

As the dominating voice spoke, the gas began to rise. It swirled up and around itself, revealing Trixie in all of her glory and blanketing the roof in a cloud of mesmerizing colors.

“I gotta get out of here!” a pony in the audience shouted at the top of his lungs as he lunged out of his seat, charred top-hat falling off in his haste.

“Maestro!” Trixie commanded. Frédéric frowned, but commenced tapping his hoof. On the third beat, Octavia's cello began to sing once again. Trixie smirked and reached into the back of her cape, pulling out a magic wand. She pointed it up at the cloud above her. “Now, watch in awe!”

Lightning shot between the wand and the cloud, causing electricity to race around the contours of the gaseous mass. It was a beautiful sight that caught the rapt attention of everypony in the audience.

“Now this is more like it.” Vinyl grinned and nodded her head.

“Popcorn?” Bubbles offered, pushing a bag pver Bon Bon's lap.

“Where did you...?” Bon Bon let her question trail off into nothingness as a sound like thunder rolled throughout the auditorium, calling her attention back to the display of power.

The light that had been cast into the cloud began to form itself into tiny beads, crafting a picture against the cloudy backdrop. Purple specs dotted the ghostly canvas, shining like stars in the night sky. More and more appeared, until the illusion was complete. The stars grew larger as the focus of the image changed to the distance beyond them. As the image picked up speed, the stars gave way to concentric pulsating circles of energy, formed by the same glowing motes of light.

As the last hoop swallowed the audience, a new form began to take shape. Blue ovals raced downward over a sloped surface, soon revealed to be the moon, with the ovals being the craters that dotted its surface. Over the heavenly body's horizon appeared a familiar constellation: the Ursa Major.

The constellation raised its head as if were roaring, and then turned around to look out at the audience. It slowly bound forward, getting closer and closer to the surface of the moon. When it did finally reach the blue moon's circumference, the view point swung outward, and showed the Ursa Minor balancing on the moon as if it were a ball. The constellation ran in place, with the moon rotating underneath it. The audience laughed as the Big Dipper fell down from the sky, and the Ursa held above its head like an umbrella as it performed its act through the cosmos.

Suddenly, the viewpoint the audience had shot forward, through the legs of the Ursa, and into the stars beyond. A new spherical shape appeared, one that was even more intimately familiar to them then the moon. It was the Earth, cast in green and blue lines of majesty. The planet drew ever closer, until the perspective of the illusion crashed into the surface at breakneck speed, ending up in a winding purple valley. The outlines of craggy rock passed by on either side as a castle loomed in the distance.

Lyra began to lose her concentration as she stared up at the display from the other side, seeing a mirrored image of what the audience was seeing. The castle exterior had been replaced by the interior, where outlines of ponies in royal armor stood at attention, silently watching the audience pass them by.

Then, a door-like portal appeared in the forefront of the image, and behind it was a path surrounded on either side by darkness. But as the illusion continued, water began to fill up either side of the walkway, until waves crashed into the path on either side, submerging the path entirely. Another door was waiting at the end of the watery trail.

The journey reached its endpoint in a regal throne room, which was soon soiled with the water that had been let inside. Sitting on the throne was a manifestation of Trixie herself, a malicious smirk upon her face.

“Why didn't I see that coming?” Bon Bon groaned, ignoring Bubbles' frantic popcorn munching.

The perspective of the scene swiftly changed, revealing that the whole scenario had been seen through the eyes of an enormous sea serpent. The serpent had eyes only for Trixie, and they were filled with malice.

“Nice hair,” Vinyl joked, noting the monster's obnoxious pompadour and curly mustache. The serpent roared as if in response, and snaked its way through the air at the image of Trixie. Another beam of magic shot from the physical Trixie's wand into the cloud, appearing to power up the illusionary Trixie.

Frédéric quickly looked towards Octavia and tapped his hoof five times. Octavia nodded, and then she, Frédéric, and Beauty Brass began to play a different, more aggressively paced song. Lyra didn't get the memo, and stumbled over her notes as she tried to switch to the fifth song in their set as quickly as the others had.

Faux Trixie's horn grew with shining white light, taking on the appearance of a blade made from the sun itself. She stepped down from her throne, brandishing her new forehead mounted weapon. At the same time, the serpent opened its jaws wide as it neared ever closer to its prey. Faux Trixie wheeled her head backwards, and then whipped her neck forward just as the beast got in range. The light from her horn severed the creature's head from the rest of its body midway through the neck, and what remained of the beast fell writhing to the ground.

The majority of the audience gasped, while a smaller number cheered. Trixie grinned wildly and shot another blast of magic into the cloud.

The serpent began to reform itself. From the stump of its neck, two more heads grew outward within seconds. Faux Trixie tried the same strategy as before, leaping forwards and claiming two heads with one swing of her magic blade. But even as the eyes on the beast's skulls closed for the last time, four more heads had already begun to take their place.

Outnumbered, her current strategy useless, Faux Trixie backed away from the angry serpent until she stood upon her throne once more. The castle walls around her collapsed as the water from the hallway burst in with increased fervor, breaking down the regal structure as if it were sand. Trixie was left alone in a wide open ocean expanse, with only her throne as solid ground to stand on, and four vicious faces staring her down.

“Throw a thunderbolt!” Bubbles shouted, tossing her popcorn to the ground.

Faux Trixie did not take the advice, and was swept off of her throne by the four heads of the monster. They constricted around her tighter and tighter, until the light from her horn went out and she could no longer be seen under the mass of writhing scales.

Trixie twirled her wand five times and pointed it back towards the scene she'd crafted. She shot a third beam of magic into the cloud. The entire theater was blanketed in searing white light, and when it receded, Faux Trixie was free of her bonds, and encased in a white aura.

From four charred stumps arose eight more heads. The light surrounding Faux Trixie grew brighter and brighter, until it could be contained no longer. Orbs of brilliant white light blossomed out of Faux Trixie's body, striking the serpent from every angle.

Trixie closed her eyes as she began to laugh maniacally, pumping more and more of her magic into the illusion she had cast. She didn't notice when one of the spells her fake self was casting broke free of the illusion and hit the ceiling, setting it on fire.

The crowd murmured worriedly, and their fears were confirmed when another orb of magic shot out into the crowd, turning the pony it hit into a frog. The audience began to scream, panic, with an occasional croak being heard over the cacophony. More and more spells went out of control, veering into the path of the audience and transforming ponies into various beings, both animate and inanimate.

“This can't be part of the show!” Bon Bon cried out, watching as Lyra and the rest of the band tried to play through the rest of the song while dodging stray bolts of magic.

“Get down!” Vinyl shouted, suddenly putting her hooves on Bon Bon's head and pushing it down onto the seat. An orb of light streaked right through where Bon Bon's face had been.

“Thank you,” Bon Bon managed to squeak out, raising her head to see Vinyl shaking her hooves and then wiping them off on the back cushion of her seat. The pony behind Bon Bon screamed. Bon Bon looked back and stared into the oversized eye of a cyclops pony. “Waah!”

“I can see... everythiiiiing!” the one-eyed pony screamed. “Aaaaah!”

“Ooh, neato!” Bubbles said, watching as the cyclops pony ran out of the theater wailing. She bounced up and down excitedly. “Me next, me next!”

Trixie was completely oblivious to the chaos she was causing, eyes focused only on the spectacle she was crafting above her head.

“Now you have seen the true power of the one and only Trixie!” she finally yelled. Trixie lowered her wand, and Faux Trixie stopped her attack. The hole-ridden body of the serpent hovered momentarily above the water, still managing to stand up by some unexplainable means. The mass of scales and necks then finally collapsed into the ocean, creating a tidal wave.

A tidal wave that spilled out of the illusion, and into the theater.

The band finally stopped playing as they saw nearly half of their audience washed out of the building, while the remaining half clung onto their seats like barnacles to a boat.

Trixie stood at the front of the stage with her eyes closed, panting heavily, but with a triumphant smile upon her face.

“Thank you, thank you everypony!” she gasped, before opening her eyes and seeing a veritable lake out in front of her. Her eyes went wide and her mouth hung open. “Did... Trixie go too far again?”

“Ya think?!” Beauty Brass asked, hefting a transparent sousaphone that now doubled as a fish tank. He blew into the instrument and hit Trixie in the back of the head with a guppy.

A very wet Bubbles hovered over the stage, front hooves hooked around Bon Bon and Vinyl. She deposited the two soggy ponies onto the stage, and then sat herself down. Lyra dropped her lyre and ran over to Bon Bon.

“Are you okay?” Lyra asked, putting her hooves on Bon Bon's shoulders.

“I'm fine,” Bon Bon said, dripping all over Lyra. “Are you?”

“Yeah. Beauty Brass got the worst of it. The ol' dumb luck got me through just fine, though,” Lyra joked. She looked towards Trixie and frowned. “I'm a bit worried about her, though.”

“Her? She's the one responsible for all of this!” Bon Bon accused, raising her voice.

“I know! We should all thank her.” Bubbles said, gaining a frustrated glance from Bon Bon. Lyra released herself from Bon Bon's grasp and trotted up to Trixie.

“Trixie... failed again... in front of everypony,” the magician muttered to herself, eyes not looking up from the floor. “Just like Ponyville...”

“Don't worry, Trixie. You may have failed spectacularly, but you have the rest of us to back you up,” Lyra consoled, sweeping a hoof out towards all of the other ponies on stage.

A small rowboat approached the stage, manned by a single police officer.

“Okay, who all of you is responsible for this?” the officer demanded in a slow drawl.

“All her,” Beauty Brass said, suddenly next to Trixie and pointing straight at the showmare. The officer nodded and reached into his pocket to produce a sheet of paper.

“Or not.” Lyra smiled sheepishly.

“You are hereby banned from ever stepping hoof into this premises. Sign here, here, and here,” the officer stated, putting the paper on the ground and producing a pen for Trixie's use.

“That was fast,” Trixie said as she telekinetically operated the pen to sign her name. The officer picked up the completed form in his teeth, and stuffed it back into his pocket.

“Heck yeah it was fast. Mayor Goodmare was in the audience tonight,” the officer said, looking towards a soaked pony in the audience who was glaring daggers at Trixie. "And don't leave town. The bill will be coming your way for property damage."

"How much?" Trixie asked, cringing.

"More than you can afford, if there's any justice in this world. You're just lucky those hippies had moon imprisonment declared unconstitutional," the stallion concluded. He turned around tapped a hoof against the keel of the rowboat. "C'mon, officer Silver, let's get the good mayor out of here.”

The officer's last comment was directed at the boat, which obeyed his command. The rowboat began to move on its own, and as it departed, Trixie saw a pair of pony-like eyes glaring at her from the boat’s rear.

“Those spells will wear off eventually, right?” Bon Bon asked. “Right?”

The remaining members of the audience began to swim out of the auditorium. Frédéric and the rest of the ensemble, aside from Lyra, started to pack up their instruments. The other castaways just stood still, basking in the glow of the night's glorious failure.

“Good show, everypony,” Frédéric said cheerfully. The other ponies stared at him. “No, really! Octavia usually counts at least three ponies falling asleep per show. This show? Not a closed eye to be seen.”

“I can't imagine why.” Vinyl smirked, blowing on her glasses to try and dislodge the droplets that had collected on them.

“Oh, and Lyra...” Frédéric walked up to Lyra and clapped her on the back, “I won't be seeing you here this Wednesday for band practice. Because nopony who's a member of this ensemble actually shows up.”

Lyra cocked her head to the side, and then straightened out as a large smile spread across her face.

“Thank you! Thank you so much!” Lyra hopped up and down. Vinyl and Bon Bon both smiled at her reaction, while Octavia merely closed her eyes and nodded her head.

“There's a rear entrance backstage. I'll be seeing you,” Frédéric said with a nod, and then walked off backstage. Beauty Brass followed him, blowing into his sousaphone and leaving behind a trail of goldfish.

“Everything went better than expected!” Bubbles proclaimed. Her attention was stolen by sound of hooves pounding against the stage.

“Celestia damn it all!” Trixie cursed loudly, eyes beginning to water. “Ever since Ponyville I haven't done anything right! Why does everything turn out fine for everypony but Trixie?”

“Oh, yeah. She's here,” Vinyl pointed out, placing her glasses back on.

“Aaaargh!” Trixie moaned, slamming her head against the ground and lying it there. “And now Trixie's hurt her horn, too.”

“Well, to be honest, what did you expect?” Bon Bon asked, drawing slightly closer to the showmare.

“To be showered with love and attention! Was that not obvious?” Trixie retorted. Her voice took on a plaintive tone as she gazed at the other ponies. “Wasn't it?”

“Heh, you wanted to be showered, but everypony else got wet instead,” Bubbles chuckled. “That's like a... a funny thing.”

“Not helping, Bubbles,” Lyra said with a polite smile, and then turned her attention back to Trixie. “What are you going to do now?”

“Run. Leave town. Just like the last time something like this happened,” Trixie explained succinctly. “Trixie has embarrassed herself and been barred from the only venue in this town that befits her. Trixie will just... try again. In a different town. Where nopony knows her name.”

“Okay, well that's one plan. Or...” Lyra stretched the word out, “you could stick around a bit and make some friends.”

“Friends?” Trixie scoffed, tears in her eyes.

“Friends,” Lyra repeated. She pointed at each of the ponies on stage in order. “Bon Bon, Bubbles, Vinyl, Octavia... I didn't meet most of them until today, and now we're all friends.”

“We are?” Bubbles asked excitedly. She ran over to Octavia and abruptly hugged her, causing the cellist to stumble.

“We are?” Bon Bon muttered, looking at the odd assortment of ponies she had become associated with. Octavia raised one eyebrow raised curiously as she gently unwrapped Bubbles from her body. Vinyl appeared indifferent towards the suggestion, hitting the side of her head and dislodging water from her ears.

“Well, maybe I'm skipping ahead a bit.” Lyra admitted. “But what's to stop us from trying, right?”

“I... Trixie doesn't know.” Trixie stumbled over her words. "W-why do you even care about Trixie? Trixie is a failure, and has caused you nothing but trouble."

"That's not true. Well, mostly not true. At least partially not completely... look, what I'm trying to say is..." Lyra sighed, and lowered herself closer to Trixie and began to speak quietly, "I used to think I was a failure too. I've never had a steady job, and most of my money has been made by playing my lyre on the sidewalk. Most ponies would just pass me by every day on the street, never taking the time to get to know me, let alone help me afford a meal.

"But then I wound up in Ponyville, and I met this one mare. She didn't know how big of a buck up I was, so I managed to weasel my way into her apartment as her roommate. I guess I'm just charming like that." Lyra smiled, casting a glance over her shoulder at Bon Bon. "We became friends, even though we had nothing in common. She was tough on me sometimes, but that's just because she wanted what was best for me. And when she found out I was just a useless bum, she didn't kick me out. She tried to help.

"Heck, I accidentally burned the apartment down last week, and she's still trying to help me! She followed me all the way here just to make sure I didn't get in any trouble," Lyra exclaimed. Bubbles, Octavia, and Vinyl all looked towards Bon Bon, who blushed in response.

"She must really care about you," Trixie remarked, wiping away her tears. Bon Bon's blush grew even fiercer, and she suddenly found something very interesting about the ceiling.

"She's the friend I needed when I was at my lowest point. And I want to follow her example," Lyra said. "That's why I want to make friends with everypony I meet. Even the ones who flood auditoriums and set hats on fire."

"Haha," Trixie laughed lightly, smiling. “But, even if Trixie had... friends... there still may not be a place in this city for Trixie.”

“That's a lot of hooey! A glitzy town like Las Pegasus? It’s made for a show-pony like you!” Lyra argued, standing back up and extending her hoof. “And we can all help you, too! Just give it a chance.”

Trixie looked at each of the gathered ponies, all of whom had formed a circle around her at some point. She saw that some of them were just as nervous as her about the idea. But they hadn't backed off yet. Trixie sat there in silence for a moment longer. She took a deep breath, and let it out slowly.

“Trixie agrees that... that it might not be the worst idea Trixie has ever heard,” Trixie finally said, the vaguest hint of a smile appearing back on her face. She took Lyra's hoof, and lifted herself up. “In fact, it might even be...”

“Group hug!” Bubbles suddenly butted in, stretching her hooves out. She tackled both Bon Bon and Lyra on her way towards Trixie, forcing them to participate. Octavia shrugged, and then robotically hugged Trixie from the opposite side.

“H-hey! Trixie does not appreciate this!” Trixie complained through her laughter. She glanced at Vinyl, the only one not involved in the affair.

“Sorry. I don't do 'touching',” Vinyl explained, wiggling her front hooves as if she was handling something vile. “I guess you can use your imagination, though. Or make an illusion me to hug you. That'd be pretty sweet.”

A chunk of the roof fell down, splashing into the stagnant water below. The whole ceiling began to creak disturbingly.

“Structural supports have weakened. I suggest we evacuate the premises,” Octavia summarized, picking up her cello's case.

“I'm going to agree with that statement." Bon Bon nodded.

“Hey, is anypony else hungry? I'm feeling pretty hungry,” Lyra suggested, rubbing against her stomach.

“Ooh, I'm hungry too!” Bubbles said, throwing her hoof up into the air.

“Well, it's true Trixie hasn't eaten since this morning,” the showmare said, brushing off her outfit and readjusting her wizard cap.

“Awesome. I know this one okay bar that's hidden around here,” Vinyl said, waving them all towards the exit behind the stage.


“Night Bubs!”

“Goodnight Bubbles.”

“Night night, girls!”

There was a loud crash, followed by sound of a door closing shortly after.

“Is she going to be alright?” Bon Bon asked

“Ah, she's fine, she's fine,” Lyra said with a wave.

Lyra tried to insert her key into the door, and when she did so, the door to their apartment swung inwards without protest.

“Oh yeah, we should get that fixed some day,” Lyra chuckled, stepping inside the dark apartment. Bon Bon trailed in after her and turned on the lights. Lyra shrieked. “Hey, turn that off, I'm goin' blind!”

“Well, that's what you get.” Bon Bon sighed, flipped the light switch again and closed the door behind her, drenching the apartment in darkness once more. “I can't believe you took Vinyl up on that drinking game.”

“I can't believe you didn't!” Lyra responded, her words slurred and pitch slightly higher than usual. "Affer all, she was buying."

“Well, one of us has to be the responsible one,” Bon Bon retorted, setting her pure down on the counter.

“Whatever you say, Ms. Margarit. Ah.” Lyra chuckled, dropping her backpack to the ground. “Get it? Margarita. It's a pun because...”

“I get it,” Bon Bon cut Lyra off with a smile, setting her purse down on the floor. “What can I say? I needed at least a little something to help me deal with all those crazy ponies.”

“Our friends,” Lyra corrected, flopping down onto the couch.

“I guess,” Bon Bon said, shaking her head. “New apartment, new friends... what have you gotten us into, Lyra?”

“Nothin' you can't handle. After all, you are the responsible one,” Lyra said with a smile, throwing her blanket over herself. “Such a good lil' wifey.”

“W-what?” Bon Bon stuttered. Lyra giggled like a filly, making Bon Bon blush. “Oh, shut up!”

“Hah ha! Ow. This couch is terrible,” Lyra complained, rolling back and forth.

“This morning you said it was amazing,” Bon Bon smirked.

“That was then, and this is drunk,” Lyra said. She suddenly sat upright. “Hey, you said there's room in the bed for two, right?”

“W-well, yes,” Bon Bon said. Before the words had finished leaving Bon Bon's lips, Lyra had waddled off of the couch and into the bedroom, leaving her blanket in a heap on the floor. Bon Bon followed after her roommate, just in time to see Lyra belly-flop on top of the sheets of the double bed.

“Much better,” Lyra mumbled, already drooling on the pillow. Bon Bon approached the bed from the opposite side, sliding between the covers and the mattress. She lay there silently, blushing like mad, staring up at the ceiling until Lyra spoke up again. “Hey Bon Bon?”

“Yes?” Bon Bon answered, glancing over at Lyra.

“Good morning, Bon Bon,” Lyra said through half shut eyes. Bon Bon paused.

“Lyra, that joke doesn't work anymore. It's night,” Bon Bon explained humorlessly.

“Oh,” Lyra said. She didn't say any more. Bon Bon listened to the sound of Lyra's steady breathing, and smiled sweetly.

“Goodnight, Lyra.”

THE END

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading the "The Ensemble"! I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback, positive and negative, so please don't click off of the page without writing me a lil' somethin' first to tell me what you thought of this fic. And if you did enjoy it, that's great! Because this certainly isn't the last thing I'll be writing about this six ponies.

Also, note that this story was in production since before season 3 began. Certain things like Trixie's second visit to Ponyville with the Alicorn amulet have not come to pass yet in this story's timeline. Same goes for Alicorn Twilight, though that event won't have any effect on the sequels that I have planned.

Special thanks go out to my friend who created the cover art, Arylett Dansborough, and all of my amazing pre-readers; David247, BetaWolf, Gordo Freeman, Silver Neko, Xensky, Sky Warden, Key Gear, and Silver Arrow. I couldn't have done it without them.

~ Legendary Emerald

Arylett Dawnsborough's Deviantart Page: http://arylett-dawnsborough.deviantart.com/

Comments ( 14 )

Fun times, great story, and good comedy. Though isn't it Lyra supposed to be talking about humans? O.o;

2177794
Yay, first comment! I'm glad you had a good time reading this. :twilightsmile:

As for your question, I feel that human-obsessed Lyra has already been done by plenty of great writers, so I didn't want to characterize her the same way. Most of these characters don't have canon personalities, so I used the freedom that provided to create some more slightly unique interpretations of the characters.

Very amusing. Each pony had their own flair of comebacks and cute little quips for every situation that came up. And there were a lot of outrageous situations!

I liked all the characterizations, though Vinyl came across a bit cranky and too sarcastic at first. She calmed down a bit towards the end when things got more exciting.

Don't know the scene that Trixie used in her act, but WOW her magic can get just as out of control as Twilight's. Good characterization for her too! Not enough stories that have Trixie just being Trixie in my experience.

Looks like things are off to a good start! Ponies in general are crazy!

Whoa. The featured box is so dead that you made featured with 7 favorites.

Nice story, and amazing luck!

2178107
I'm glad you enjoyed it! As for Vinyl being a bit of a cranky, she's just a very jaded pony at this point in the story. Ponies need to gain her respect before she'll give it.

2178323
Really, the featured box? Great! I didn't even notice. Because I have my profile set to view 18+ stories, some but not all of the stories in featured box change to reflect that. Also, thanks for the compliment!

This looks interesting... Must read later...

2178403 oof, I just realized that. I'm on a public computer so my settings aren't what I normally have. View mature is off. Sad to see how much clop dominates the featured box, so much so that all it takes to see a story without mature checked is 7 favorites.

Not bad. I like it.

Mr.Tombstone=TheLivingTombstone.

Promising so far Gender swapped Beauty for some reason XD you got a watch.

2178887
Thanks! And yeah, Beauty Brass is a guy in this fic because I felt like it needed another male character. Plus, I'd already planned some of the character's dialogue and personality before I remembered to check the episode he/she was in to find out his/her appearance. :derpytongue2:

2178777
Glad you like it. :pinkiehappy:

2178510
Tell me what you think when you do. :twilightsmile:

Comment posted by Anita C Seriene deleted Feb 27th, 2013

THIS MUST CONTINUE!! MOAR!

2246401
I'm glad you liked it! I've almost finished the next episode, but it's more like a mini-episode, and is about the length of one "part" of "The Ensemble". It'll be awhile until I release it though. I finally got word back from EQD, and I need to do another big round of editing just what I have uploaded now before it can be posted on that site.

Login or register to comment