• Published 26th Jan 2012
  • 1,709 Views, 90 Comments

A Change of Weather in Ponyville - MLPDavester



A unicorn from the town of Manehatten is accepted to Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns.

  • ...
4
 90
 1,709

Ch.7 - Ponyville Bound!

Well, things have moved a bit ahead of schedule I guess. Had a good chunk of spare time today, so I figured I'd get the newest chapter up since tomorrow may not have as much time as I would have preferred to write. Who knows though, may update tomorrow as well to give people time to think about what's coming up and what they might want to see. Remember to rate and comment as it helps me fix where I may be going wrong, other than that, enjoy my newest installment. :pinkiesmile:

~Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns, 1 year after the Nightmare Moon incident, 2 PM, a week before the next Summer Sun Celebration~

“Are you completely sure Moonbeam?” Celestia inquired the elderly pony before her, a look of curiosity and confusion on her face. “Has he really progressed that quickly that he’s ready to learn on his own? I know he’s been here for 7 years now, but after what happened last year, I didn’t expect him to bounce back so suddenly like he had.”

Moonbeam nodded his head slightly as he looked over his files on ‘said’ ponies accomplishments. His eyes skimmed over reports of successes and failures, taking in all the details of how they had gotten to this point. He looked up to the Princess as he closed the folder. “I’m positive. He’s shown great potential as well in the past few months, actually figuring out the spells I’m trying to describe before I’m even done speaking. He’s either gotten very lucky, or something has caused him to take his studies much more seriously.” Moonbeam got up from the floor as he began to leave Celestia’s office situated in the school that was only used in such circumstances.

Celestia raised a hoof as Moonbeam turned to leave, signifying him to wait a moment before departing. “I trust you’ve already worked on arrangements for his departure then?” She continued to go over the logic behind this situation as Moonbeam spoke.

“Not entirely.” Moonbeam shook his head with a look of disappointment. “I’m not sure where exactly he would go. I mean, I know he’s from Manehatten.” Moonbeam paused as he thought about places the stallion had mentioned in the past. “But he never made any mention of ever wanting to return. As he told me, his parents were very accepting of him leaving and were already treating him like a grown stallion at ten years of age. He’s quite mature for a pony of his time.”

“I see.” Celestia mulled over the possibilities as she looked at the few pictures she had in her office. Most were images of herself and Luna since her return a year before, with the exception of one image she kept on her desk. It was an image of Twilight Sparkle taken during the one lesson Celestia had deemed appropriate to be remembered in such a way. The look of joy on the young filly’s face could be felt radiating from the image when Twilight had completed her first advanced spell at such a young age of 14.

As Celestia continued to think to herself, Moonbeam realized that his presence had been forgotten as he slowly placed a paper he had been keeping in the folder on the Princess’ desk. The sound of the door closing with a slight click brought Celestia out of her trance as she noticed the form in front of her.

She read the form to herself as the pieces of the puzzle in her mind began to come together. “Form of departure and future residence…” Celestia suddenly had a brilliant idea as her eyes flitted once again over the image of Twilight. She smiled as she levitated a quill to the paper, filling out the required information as to the pony’s future living accommodations. She smiled to herself as she completed the form, filling out the last piece of information on the form as to the pony’s name.

The form could be read for the unimportant parts such as age, race, gender and such, and the Princess’ royal insignia on the bottom, the two pieces of information that stood out the most were the destination and the name of the pony being moved.

The two lines read as follows:

Said pony is requested to be moved to the town of:

_Ponyville_

Pony’s name having completed studies and departing to said location:

_Maghus Uncorn_

~Student Residence, 1 hour later~

“Ugh…” Maghus groaned to himself as he wondered what to do with his suddenly free afternoon. Mr. Moonbeam had only told him moments before the class through a quick scroll by dragon-fire that today’s lesson had been cancelled. Maghus had been looking forward to doing their lesson on making wings from clouds, having already read ahead and memorized the next section of the book when he had received the strange letter.

His thoughts of boredom and confusion were quickly interrupted however, as he heard a light knocking on his door, which he quickly trotted over to answer as not many ponies tended to wish to speak with him. He was caught quite off guard when he opened the door to see Princess Celestia of all ponies standing before him with a look of wonder as to if she could enter his room.

Maghus stepped aside and motioned inwards as the Princess entered. Maghus was both baffled and amazed that the Princess happened to pick today of all days to visit him a day before the next Summer Sun Celebration, said to be occurring in Ponyville again this year. Many ponies believed that it was to commemorate the return of Princess Luna at the last celebration in Ponyville, with only one pony in all of Equestria knowing the real reason as to why it would be occurring there.

“Princess!” Maghus remarked when he could finally find his tongue amidst his surprise. “It’s such a pleasure to see you here! Although I wasn’t expecting it all, and I found it kind of strange that you would visit me here with the Summer Sun Celebration coming up soon and all and I just figured that I-” He continued to ramble on as his nervousness and surprise began to confound his thoughts into one sentence, much to the Princess’ amusement.

Celestia raised a hoof to silence Maghus before his rambling cost him the breath in his lungs. She chuckled softly as Maghus silenced himself with a hoof, a look of confusion now ever present on his face. “Calm down Maghus.” Celestia had grown quite comfortable to speaking to Maghus in person, given his special circumstances in the school and Moonbeam’s occasional presentation of his talents to the Princess to show her his current progress. “I simply came to deliver some good news to you is all I am here to do today.”

“OK. But what for?” Maghus tilted his head, questions bouncing around in his mind about what the Princess was here about. It had been many months since a lesson had resulted in something broken, and as far as he knew his studies had been going very well as of late. “I haven’t done anything wrong have I?”

“You forget that I said ‘good news’ Maghus.” Celestia smiled as Maghus continued to look on in confusion. She then began her report of what moonbeam had told her an hour before. “Moonbeam tells me you have been exceedingly well in your lessons lately, particularly in being able to go ahead with the lesson before he has even finished describing it. Would you happen to have any explanation for this?”

Maghus continued to look on in confusion as he attempted to explain. “Well he mentioned that we would be following the book in order from front to back and lately I just decided to look ahead and know in advance what we would be doing. It’s been going quite well lately as he’s just had to sit back and watch as I finish reciting the lessons and risks to the spells and then performing them. They haven’t gone perfectly, but they haven’t ended in complete chaos either.” Maghus shuddered slightly as he remembered the giant bowling ball accident he had had once during a lesson years ago. How he had managed to turn a little puddle of water into an unstoppable object of destruction he didn’t know.

Celestia laughed softly as she noticed Maghus’ shudder at remembering something, she continued so as to put their conversation back on track. “That’s very good, and as a matter of fact is exactly why I’m here to speak with you today.” She then levitated a brown envelope towards Maghus that he had somehow missed before, which he proceeded to open. What caught Maghus’ eyes first of all were the words “Form of Transfer”.

“’Transfer’?” Maghus tilted his head as he lowered the envelope to look at the Princess questioningly. “Are you sure I didn’t do something wrong your Highness?”

Celestia laughed at the question slightly before speaking. “Keep reading Maghus, I’ll explain why I’m showing you this in a moment.” Celestia’s smile grew slightly as Maghus raised the form to block his face once again, a curious look on his face at the Princess’ expression.

“Requested movement to new location…dahdahdah…Pony moving to new location, Maghus Uncorn, uh huh…” Maghus paused a moment, thinking to himself why the Princess was having him moved to a new place of study. His smile faltered as he thought to himself, “I must have done something wrong! She’s just trying to make it sound so bad…Well, should probably see where she’s sending me off to first…Here goes nothing.” Maghus stole himself for the worst as he slowly moved his line of sight towards the bottom of the paper. “Destination to be moved to…PONYVILLE?!”

Celestia couldn’t help from laughing at his outburst, the papers dropping from his magical grip as he stood paralyzed in shock, a look of half-horror and half-joy on his face. Celestia stopped when she noticed his expression, quickly composing herself to continue their conversation in a more dignified manner.

She cleared her throat as she spoke her reasoning to Maghus. “Moonbeam told me he has officially put your name on the list of graduating unicorns for this year. He said great things about your studies and has requested that you be done your studies here and be free to move on to wherever you wish. However, he had no idea where you would wish to go, as you had never made mention of returning to Manehatten after finishing here.”

Maghus shook his head to try and regain his senses as he spoke. “I…well I just…I mean…I never really figured I’d be going back that is.” Maghus coughed slightly to clear his suddenly dry throat as he looked around for a glass of water which he quickly levitated over and took a deep drink from. “I mean, my parents were expecting me to visit them every now and then in Manehatten, but other than that they just expected me to go where I pleased after leaving here. They raised me to be a mature, adult pony from a young age I guess.” Maghus curiosity got the better of him however as he finished with a question. “But why Ponyville of all places? I mean, why not here in Canterlot, or back to Manehatten even if I didn’t live with my parents?”

Celestia smiled as Maghus just stood there confused. “Because we both believed that you needed to make a visit if just for a little while to catch up with an old friend. Does that bother you?” Celestia giggled silently to herself as Maghus blushed slightly.

“Well…n-not exactly. But I… just d-didn’t figure that it would be my…” He gulped loudly as he composed himself, scratching the back of his head slightly with one hoof. “I didn’t think it would be my first stop after finishing here.” He straightened himself as much as he could, attempting to hide his embarrassment and nervousness about the coming trip. “How long until I leave?”

“We are leaving in five days’ time, to arrive in preparation for this year’s Summer Sun Celebration. And Princess Luna will be accompanying us for her first celebration in one thousand years.” Celestia smiled as she began to leave the room. “As of now you are officially done your studies at my school. Please be ready for our departure in the afternoon five days from now.”

“O-Ok Princess.” Maghus stammered as he closed the door, looking around his room at all of his belongings. He sighed to himself as he thought about the coming trip. “This is going to be a long week.” He groaned as he began an early packing job for his moving day.

~Ponyville, 2 days before Summer Sun Celebration, 4 PM~

“Careful girls! Everything needs to be done in time for the celebration and if anything breaks that gives us even less time!” Twilight spoke anxiously as Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash moved some decorations into place high above in the banisters of the Town Hall.

“We got this Twilight! We’ll be done so fast that we’ll have days to spare before the Summer Sun Celebration!” Rainbow Dash yelled down to the purple unicorn as Fluttershy struggled with decorations on her own. “Don’t worry about it! By the time they’re done, they’ll be twenty percent cooler than last year’s decorations!”

“Um…help…” Fluttershy squeaked as she began to slowly descend under the weight of all the banners and hanging decorations she had been left to carry.

“Hehe…Oops, my bad ‘Shy.” Rainbow Dash sheepishly spoke as she helped the timid yellow pegasus back up to continue hanging decorations. “Lost my focus for a second there.”

“It’s okay.” Fluttershy spoke softly as she proceeded to hang some streamers from the rafters above. Fluttershy carefully moved around, placing decorations in a way that would rivalled Rarity’s own skills. Rarity would have gladly taken this job had she not been swamped with orders for outfits by ponies for the Summer Sun Celebration. Fluttershy had no problem taking on the job however, as the birds were still very well versed in the songs they had sung last year and needed very little practice before the actual ceremony.

The doors to the Town Hall suddenly burst open with a loud bang, scaring the yellow pegasus into a corner with a squeak as she and Rainbow Dash descended to the floor to take a quick break. The pink pony that had opened the doors bounced into the room suddenly with a look of pure glee and excitement on it.

“Girls! Girls! Come quickly!” Pinkie yelled as she turned to begin bouncing outside.

She was quickly stopped by Rainbow however, who flew in front of Pinkie to slow her down. “Whoa, whoa, whoa there Pinkie Pie. What’s got you into such a hurry?” Rainbow Dash questioned, curious as to how the pink pony in front of her could be even more energetic than usual today.

“I figured you of all ponies would be as excited as me Dashie! After all, who wouldn’t be with who’s arriving right now!” Pinkie then jumped over Rainbow as Twilight yelled after her amidst all the excitement.

“What do you mean by ‘who’s arriving right now’?” Twilight asked with a look of confusion on her face.

“Why the Princesses silly! That’s who!” Pinkie yelled as she bounced out of the building, quickly followed by an equally excited Rainbow Dash and a nervous Fluttershy.

“The Princesses?” Twilight spoke to herself as she galloped out of the town hall. “But they’re a day early! Why would they come to Ponyville so soon before the celebration?” Twilight’s questions were put on hold by Applejack and Rarity, both passing by the Town Hall with confused looks on their faces. “Applejack! Rarity! Where are you two headed?”

“Why, to the town square darling!” Rarity answered as she and Applejack came to a sudden stop in front of the purple unicorn. “Where else would we be going with the Princesses arriving so early?”

“Ah’ just don’t understand why they would need to be so early.” Applejack spoke as the three friends continued at a gallop towards the town square where a large carriage was currently parked, following 6 royal guards. “And why in tarnation they would need to bring so much a for a simple visit to Ponyville.”

“Well I guess we’ll find out soon enough.” Twilight spoke as the three of them came to a stop behind Pinkie, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, all eagerly watching the carriage that was now slowly opening its passenger door. “Look!”

Everypony bowed gracefully as Princess Celestia and Princess Luna disembarked from the carriage. But suddenly whispers could be heard throughout the crowd as everypony looked oddly at a third pony exiting the carriage.

“Who the heck is that?” Rainbow Dash asked as Twilight raised her head last, her jaw suddenly dropping as she burst out in shock, “MAGHUS?!”

The blue unicorn looked around suddenly, looking for the sudden outburst with a shock until he found Twilight’s face. He smiled as he recognized his friend amongst five other ponies he assumed were the friends she had made in Ponyville that Celestia had made mention to him about.

“Hey Twilight, long time no see.”