• Published 26th Jan 2012
  • 1,709 Views, 90 Comments

A Change of Weather in Ponyville - MLPDavester



A unicorn from the town of Manehatten is accepted to Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns.

  • ...
4
 90
 1,709

Ch.3 - Fun in the Reign

Sorry it's been such a large gap between my latest update everypony, school and stuff got me kind of sidetracked and I forgot temporarily to update this. Here's the latest chapter and hopefully I remember to update a little more often. Remember to rate and comment, really helps my confidence in this story a lot.

~Canterlot, 11:45 AM~

“Ugh…my head…” Maghus groaned as he slowly came to, rubbing the back of his head with his hoof. “What is that now? The third time I’ve woken up this morning?” Maghus rubbed his eyes slowly as he stretched his back, hearing a few popping sounds come from some of the vertebrae in his spine due to the awkward position he had fainted in.

“Boy do you sure like to sleep…” Twilight giggled as Maghus looked around the room, surprised to see the purple mare sitting at his desk. “I thought you would have woken up a while back already.” Twilight got up from the chair and opened the window a crack, letting in a gentle breeze that caused her mane to flutter slightly as it blew into the room.

Wow…She’s really pretty…” Maghus thought to himself as he saw the breeze catch her violet mane with the pink stripe down the center. He shook his head a bit at this thought however, slightly disturbed he could be falling for somepony so quickly after meeting them. “You just met her you dunce. Don’t make things awkward now by telling her you’re falling head over hooves for somepony you just met this morning.

“Uhh…Maghus?” Twilight had her head cocked slightly to the side, looking at Maghus with a look of confusion and worry apparent on every inch. She was slightly worried that he was going to faint again, as he had a bit of a sheepish and half-awake look on his face. “Are you gonna fall asleep again?”

Maghus shook his head once again to clear his thoughts so as not to accidentally blurt out something awkward. “No, no, no, I’m fine Twilight. Still just getting my bearings.” Maghus got up on slightly shaky hooves, slowly gaining his balance as he looked around. Nothing looked different in the room, but it just felt…warmer for some reason. He decided to see if Twilight thought anything was up. “Does anything feel weird to you right now?”

“Why do you think I opened the window silly?” Twilight giggled slightly as she motioned to the open window that Maghus had only just noticed in since coming out of his trance. “The room felt kind of warm, so I thought I’d open the window a bit to let in…well that’s strange.” Twilight suddenly changed topics as she noticed the cloud on Maghus’ desk. It was still a calm white cloud, but it’s shape had altered slightly since the last time she’d looked at it. Now it looked more like a…heart? Since when do clouds look like hearts?

“What is?” Maghus followed her line of sight to the heart-shaped cloud. His caused Maghus to blush slightly though he had no clue why, thus he quickly attempted to hide the apparent colour change on his muzzle to avoid Twilight’s line of sight. He quickly changed the topic by pointing out the clock that had somehow ended up next to the cloud on his desk. “When did the clock get here? As far as I remember before passing out the book and the cloud were the only things on my desk…speaking of which, where is the book?” Maghus scanned the room once over, worried that the book had somehow gotten lost amidst all of his possessions.

“Don’t worry about the book Maghus, I took it back to my room while you were out.” Twilight motioned to the now closed door with one hoof while still cross-examining the cloud. “And I brought the clock over from my room so we wouldn’t lose track of time and miss the meeting with Mr. Moonbeam.”

“Wait, you’re actually going to come?” Maghus looked slightly taken aback with this last remark, which Twilight noticed in an instant with a bemused expression on her face. “From talking before it sounded like you didn’t want to. Why the sudden change of hea…er, mind?” Maghus quickly reworded this last question so as to avoid a possible return to the cloud topic, which now made him slightly awkward.

Twilight gently shuffled one hoof back and forth on the floor as she looked down, suddenly shy once again in another pony’s presence. “Well I…I didn’t want to at first…but…” Twilight’s voice caught in her throat as her shyness once again took hold of her tongue and thoughts, leaving her to look like a bit of a nervous wreck standing in the middle of Maghus’ room.

Maghus quickly took care of the problem however, as he quickly changed the subject towards something a little more current. “Never mind, forget I even asked that. It’s not really my place to know.” Maghus then looked around, trying to find some new topic to get their minds on. His eyes passed over the clock, noticing the time was 12:00 PM. This gave him a perfect idea to get both of their minds going again without any awkward tension, plus from the empty feeling in his abdomen he could really use some good food right now. “Hey Twilight! We should go get something to eat!” Maghus blurted this out within the few seconds of his noticing the clock, snapping Twilight’s attention back to the real world and out of her secluded state.

“Um…yeah! Good idea.” Twilight nodded rapidly as she quickly levitated the clock of the desk and trotted over to the door in a hurry, anxious to get away from the tension in the room and back to her reading which she had long since forgotten about. “I guess I’ll see you this afternoon then…maybe…?” Twilight felt her cheeks go slightly red at this, causing her to squeak on her last word as she rapidly opened the door and galloped out in a hurry to avoid being spotted by any other passing ponies. She didn’t want to be teased about blushing or anything on her way to lunch.

“Ok…I guess…” Maghus slumped his head slightly as he trotted out of his room, disappointed and frustrated at himself for making things so awkward between the two. “Smooth move genius. How do you think Twilight feels about us now? She probably thinks we’re some weird stalker.” Maghus ended the battle in his mind with a quick statement however, pressing the matter to the far corners of his memory. “Why should I care about that? Twilight’s a nice mare and I think I just went too far in asking personal questions.” Maghus face hooved as he descended the stairs to the cafeteria below the rooms. “This is gonna be a weird day, that’s for sure.

~Canterlot, 1:50 PM~

“Alright, which one of these was Mr. Moonbeam’s again?” Maghus scratched his mane with his hoof, trying to remember which room they had been told to visit about school-related matters when they weren’t in class. It was down this hallway, Maghus was positive of that. Now the problem was trying to remember which one. “Dang it, if it hadn’t been for that dumb cloud issue this morning I wouldn’t be so scatterbrained right now.” Maghus chuckled to himself slightly, realizing the size of the words he had been using lately. His parents may have been pegasi, but they had raised him to be quite the smart pony, even for a unicorn colt. Some ponies had even jokingly asked if he was actually a wise old pony that had found a source of eternal youth at a few places his family had visited in Manehatten. He knew they were joking, but it was kind of funny to see the slightly shocked expressions on their faces when he understood a lot of the conversations that the adults had. His joyous recollections of Manehatten were stopped however, as he had absent-mindedly walked headfirst into one of the office doors.

“Ow…” Maghus groaned as he rubbed his head. “What is with me and getting hurt by stuff today? Sometimes I wonder if my cutie mark should have been a banana peel instead of this silly raindrop and sparks cutie mark I have.” Maghus looked up at the door he had walked into and silently did a little dance in his head. Of all the doors to walk into, he had luckily walked right into the door to none other than Mr. Moonbeam’s door. He gently knocked on the door, hoping that he hadn’t made too much noise upon walking into it.

Maghus was quickly brought back to the world around him however as the doorknob suddenly got a silvery-white glow around it as it turned. Maghus was slightly confused by this, as he had seen Mr. Moonbeam’s magic had more of a blackish-green colour since that was the color of his coat. Maghus’ thoughts as to who was opening the door were quickly sated however, as he gazed upon the most regal figure in all of Equestria- Princess Celestia.

“P...p…p…Princess Celestia!” Maghus practically dove on to the floor in a bow as he caught full sight of the ruler of Equestria. He shook violently on the spot as all of the awe and amazement he felt in this moment threated to tear his young body apart. This was also apparent to the Princess and Moonbeam as his body slightly levitated and sparked with energy, unbeknownst to Maghus himself.

“Calm down my little pony.” Celestia said in her gentle yet regal voice touched with a splash of amusement at the young colt’s excitement in front of her. “You seem to be letting your emotions get the better of you little one.” Celestia smiled as Maghus opened his eyes and look at the floor below him, realizing he was floating without a way to get down. She let a small portion of her magic flow through her horn and into Maghus so as to calm him down and gently lower him to the floor, now no longer sparking and shaking with excitement.

“Now you see what I was talking about, you r Highness.” Moonbeam chuckled a bit as he trotted towards Maghus, helping him to gain his balance and guide him towards the Princess. “He has quite the peculiar form of magic, wouldn’t you say so?” Moonbeam looked at the Princess, awaiting her response to the young colt before her.

Celestia had expected another outburst from the colt as Moonbeam had brought him closer, but instead she laughed gently to herself as the pony simply stood before her on slightly wobbly hooves, his muzzle agape and his eyes wide in awe. She chose this moment to speak therefore, so as to avoid an awkward silence in the room. “So my little pony, you’re Mr. Moonbeam’s student whose name is Maghus Uncorn, correct?”

Maghus opened and closed his mouth a few times before realizing that not a single sound was coming out. He therefore relied on a rapid nodding of his head that threatened to dislocate his neck if not for a gentle hoof on the head by Celestia.

“And you’re from Manehatten, son of Cyclone and Blizzard Uncorn?” Celestia continued to smile as Maghus continued to simply nod his head, albeit less dangerously to his own health. “Mr. Moonbeam tells me that you have been showing some interesting signs in class, is this true?”

Maghus nodded his head once this time, still in a state of wonder but now slightly confused as to what the princess was getting at. Mr. Moonbeam had obviously mentioned his “weather magic” as he called it, but it couldn’t be this special as to involve the ruler of Equestria herself, was it? His thoughts were quickly interrupted however by the sudden approach of hooves in the hallway followed by none other than Twilight gasping for breath in the doorway. She looked almost like she was about to collapse from exhaustion, yet Maghus was slightly worried about why she had come so rapidly. Was something wrong?

“Sorry I’m…late…Princess.” Twilight gasped in between deep breathes. She quickly regained her composure and galloped up to the princess, gently nuzzling her a bit before backing up even with Maghus and Mr. Moonbeam, Maghus looking slightly confused and worried at the same time. “Please don’t send me back to magic kindergarden for being tardy!” Twilight suddenly begged aloud, causing Maghus to do a double take and Mr. Moonbeam to suddenly burst out laughing on the spot, both reactions causing Twilight to blush slightly at their reactions.

“My faithful student, I’ve told you before,” Celestia laughed as she nuzzled Twilight’s mane. “Being a little late for something isn’t a big deal. Today is simply a somewhat casual meeting between colleagues. There’s no need to be quite so formal.”

“Um…Princess?” Maghus suddenly spoke up amidst all the confusion and chaos much to everypony’s apparent surprise. He had finally worked up the courage to speak, even if it was something meek and small. “You said this was a casual meeting between colleagues? Do you and Mr. Moonbeam know each other?”

“I make a habit of getting to all of the citizens of Equestria in one way or another Maghus. Mr. Moonbeam is a teacher here, so I have to be on a well-known basis here since I made this school myself.” Celestia smiled once again at the confusion and wonder in the colt before her, as he reminded her a bit of Twilight in her sense of constant questions and logical understanding. “But yes, I do know him.”

“Then did he invite you here about…me?” Maghus asked incredulously, slightly worried he may have come across as arrogant to the ruler of Equestria. That would be a great first impression to give to somepony that decided how the country was run.

“Actually yes.” Celestia nodded as she levitated a book completely identical to the one Twilight had brought into Maghus’ room that morning in front of her. “I assume he has already told you what weather magic is?”

“Actually your Highness,” Moonbeam rubbed his hoof in his mane with a sheepish grin on his face, slightly embarrassed about not mentioning in sooner. “I was going to mention it to him today during this meeting if that was alright with you?” Moonbeam had meant to tell the Princess when she arrived, but they had heard a bang on the door which Celestia had opened with her magic to reveal Maghus only moments after she had arrived herself.

“That’s even better actually.” Celestia smiled as she opened the book to the exact same page Twilight had marked in her copy. He page showed an image of a unicorn using it’s magic to do things such as create small, temporary clouds, manipulate them in the same way as pegasi do, and even run faster than most ponies. “This book has all kinds of knowledge on magic, from levitation, to transformation, all the way to weather magic. This is a very rare and special form of magic, this being the reason for a good portion of this book being dedicated solely to the applications and use of weather magic.”

Maghus nodded his head as the princess spoke, partly paying attention to her words while the rest of his mind focussed on reading different captions about different spells he might learn, different techniques to using them, and other useful applications to this special branch of magic.

His attention was brought back to the group as Celestia spoke a final comment very clearly as she had noticed Maghus’ growing focus on the book and not the conversation. This made her laugh to herself slightly as she finished in a way to regain his attention. “This magic is incredibly rare and unique though. Because of this, I am going to have you take lessons with Mr. Moonbeam in the afternoon after classes to get acquainted with your magic? Is that okay?”

“Why Mr. Moonbeam though?” Twilight finally spoke up, much to the surprise of Maghus. “Wouldn’t it make more sense for someone like you to teach him princess?” Twilight had tilted her head to the side slightly, revealing to all her sense of confusion in this scenario.

“It would my dear Twilight,” Celestia nodded her head as she levitated the blue book to the ground in front of Maghus. “If he had a great and powerful potential with magic.” Celestia smiled at Maghus so not to make him feel like he was weak compared to other ponies. “His magic does make him more special than most ponies, but it does not make him stronger. It simply gives him more variety with his magic beyond what normal unicorns can do. He will be able to grasp normal magic quite easily as a matter of fact, but that is because his magical abilities allow him to learn a more advanced form of magic that is only possibly to learn through lineage.”

“Could I learn weather magic princess?” Twilight’s eyes sparkled slightly at this question she had posed. If she could have something else to learn she would be ecstatic.

Her exuberance was cut short however by the truth. “I’m sorry Twilight, but only ponies like myself or unicorns born to pegasi parents can ever use this type of magic. You could try to learn it all you wanted, but you would never be able to use this form of magic even if you desperately wished to. I’m sorry.”

“Oh…that’s okay princess.” Twilight bowed her head in disappointment, leaving Maghus feeling slightly responsible for ruining a possibly great moment in Twilight’s life.

Maghus didn’t want to see Twilight so sad, so he attempted to cheer Twilight up in whatever way he could. Unknown to all four of the ponies in the room, Maghus horn had started to glow softly as Maghus began to talk, “Hey Twilight, don’t let that rain on your parade. I bet you just need something awesome to cheer you up right now…like chocolate milk! That always cheers me up!”

At this final remark however, Maghus horn began to glow a brilliant blue, causing a small white cloud to suddenly appear in between him and Twilight. Twilight and Maghus looked at the cloud both with a bewildered look on their faces as it shook slightly, suddenly beginning to rain…chocolate milk!

Celestia and Moonbeam both suddenly burst out laughing, albeit the Princess having a more composed laugh with a hoof hovering over her muzzle while Moonbeam was on the floor practically crying in his mirth.

“Are you sure you’re up for this Moonbeam?” Celestia asked as she looked at Twilight and Maghus each taking a drop of chocolate rain on their tongues, both gaining suddenly excited looks on their faces as they recognized the taste.

Moonbeam got up, wiping his eyes with his hoof as he noticed Maghus completely dunk his head under the cloud, filling his mouth his delicious chocolate rain as Twilight looked on giggling and holding her sides. This nearly put him over the edge again as he replied, “If I don’t, who will teach him how to control his magic and apply it? I don’t think we need places all over Equestria suddenly being rained on with melted chocolate.”

Celestia looked at the two excited foals in front of her, both simply enjoying the moment they were sharing together laughing and drinking chocolate milk. “No, probably not.” She laughed again as the Twilight and Maghus began jumping around in the chocolate.