• Published 7th Feb 2013
  • 2,218 Views, 129 Comments

My Little Pony: The Brothers of Discord - mr.myxsiple



Good and evil. Day and night. Light and darkness. Harmony and Discord. When the scale tips the other way, who will become the heroes Equestria needs?

  • ...
5
 129
 2,218

PreviousChapters Next
A Scarlet Promise

CHAPTER 9
A SCARLET PROMISE

His eyes closed, Scar felt a shaft of light hit his face. Groaning in annoyance, he turned and covered himself with a pillow to try and block out the annoying sun. When he found out that wouldn't be able to get any more sleep, he got up and stretched.

Sighing, he got out of his bed and made his way to the kitchen. Breakfast since arriving in town was always light. Today's breakfast consisted of a slice of toast and a pair of apples Ironhead brought home the previous day.

As he ate, he mused on their current situation. Even with Ironhead's help the previous day, their search had been unsuccessful. Even as he ate, more and more light was seeping into Ponyville's soil, and there was nothing hey could do to stop it. Their situation seemed hopeless; what were they to do?

Sighing, Scar put his stuff away and left the apartment. It was a beautiful day out in Ponyville despite the circumstances. Scar took to the skies and soared around wondering where he should search next. He briefly considered checking up on Twilight again to see if she'd found anything.

The idea seemed OK, but he remembered Twilight questioning him on the things he asked her. He could tell that she was starting to wonder just why he was looking for things related to light and Ponyville. If she was as smart as Pinkie said she was, maybe it'd be better off not asking her anything anymore.

Slightly frustrated at his situation, he flew up to a nearby cloud and slammed his hind legs into it. It vanished after a slight poof. That kinda helped Scar a little, but he still felt bad. He flew over to another cloud and just laid down on it and rested for a while.

As he laid there watching the clouds go by, something dashed right in front of him, missing him by just a few inches. Intrigued, he raised his head and saw several clouds suddenly vanish accompanied by a poof sound. He then saw that same something dart away from the clouds and headed towards the cloud he was one leaving a multi-colored trail in its wake-

Wait...multi-colored trail?!

The cloud he was lying on suddenly vanished with a small poof. With nothing to support him, Scar suddenly found himself face-to-face with a very familiar blue face, a set of surprised magenta eyes and multi-colored mane. Said pony's mouth also hung open slightly as if she wasn't expecting him at that moment.

"R-Rainbow DAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

Scar wasn't flapping at all when he took her in causing him to fall several feet. Luckily for him, he managed to stop himself from falling and looked up instantly recognizing the mare. His earlier problems suddenly vanishing from his mind, he flew over to her remembering to try and play it cool despite his face heating up a bit.

"Uh-Uh-Ah-H-Hi Rainbow." he said in a slightly high-pitched voice. Damn it you idiot!

"Uh, hey Scar. Taking a nap?" she asked him.

"What? Uh-yeah." he replied grinning nervously. Quit grinning like an idiot! "So um...uh...what're you doing here?"

"Eh, just weather duty." Rainbow gestured to the clouds around them. "There's gonna be a downpour here in like, an hour or something, so I gotta clear up a few of these clouds here."

"That's...nice..." Scar said turning red in the face and mentally scolding himself for doing that. "You uh...you want any help or anything?"

Rainbow did some thinking. Scar helping her out would make her finish earlier. Less time for working meant more time to goof off. Besides, the grin on Scar's face told her that he was very eager to help her out. "You really wanna help?" she asked making sure he knew what he was doing.

"Uh huh. I-I don't mind at all." Scar replied with a nod.

That made Rainbow smile which in turn made Scar's heart do several back flips. "OK then. Let's do this thing." She rubbed her hooves together. "You can start by getting rid of that bunch of clouds over-"

Before she could even finish, Scar was already at the clouds she was indicating, leaving behind another red after image. He then started bucking and kicking them until they were gone. He moved on to another group leaving behind a red trail. Several seconds later, he was right in front of her again grinning at her, hoping that he'd done a good job.

"Wow, I guess you're not called Scarlet Blur for nothing." Rainbow said clearly impressed. She rolled her eyes. "Then again-"

She kept true to her name and dashed towards another group of clouds. Scar watched her dart from cloud to cloud, taking them out as she went; he almost felt dizzy just from watching her smack those clouds around. In what seemed like no time at all, she screeched to a halt right in front of him.

"Hah! Ten seconds flat." Rainbow said brushing her hoof on her chest. "You're gonna have to do better than that if you think you can fly with me."

"Oh yeah? Well...I'll show you!" Scar playfully called out as he flew away to take out more clouds.

Rainbow's eyes narrowed as a wide grin broke out on her face. "Pfft. More like I'll show you why I'm called the fastest pony in Equestria!"

Scar couldn't believe what was happening. He was flying and actually having fun with Rainbow Dash! Nopony else knew just how long he wished for that to happen. Ever since he first saw her at that Best Young Flyers Competition, he had wanted to meet her, to thank her for giving him a dream to fulfill, to become friends with her. And maybe...something more...

He wasn't going to deny it. He did indeed have feelings for that blue mare. He wouldn't tell her that yet in fear of freaking her out or anything.

They didn't finish in ten seconds flat, but they finished quicker than Rainbow thought they would. "Heh, I should get your help more often huh?" she told Scar.

"Y-Yeah. You just gimme a call or something. I'll help you out Rainbow." Scar told her.

"Seriously?"

"Uh huh. I haven't found a job yet, so I really don't have anything else to do." he said though a nagging voice similar to Ironhead's at the back of his head said otherwise. "What ever it is, I promise I won't ever let you down."

His crush raised an eyebrow. "Really? Pinkie Promise?"

"Huh?" This time, Scar raised an eyebrow. "Does this have something to do with Pinkie?"

"Not really, but she will start popping out of nowhere once you do it. If you're gonna be staying in Ponyville, you've got to know that." Rainbow said, the idea of Pinkie suddenly appearing out of nowhere unnerving Scar a bit. "OK, just do what I do. Cross my heart..." She drew an X on her chest.

"Cross my heart." Scar nodded and repeated the action.

"Hope to fly..." A cyan hoof extended.

"Hope to fly." A red hoof extended.

"Stick a cupcake in my eye." Rainbow closed her right eye and touched it with her hoof.

"Stick a cupcake in my eye." Scar finished the motions. He was kinda half expecting Pinkie to suddenly pop out, but they were in the air. Unless she could magically walk on clouds or something, there wasn't any chance of her appearing.

"There. Simple as that. Make sure you keep it 'k." She elbowed his side. "Pinkie said that if you break a Pinkie Promise, you lose a friend...FOREVER!" Rainbow finished dramatically.

Scar nodded in understanding but suddenly stopped when he realized something. "W-Wait...Did you say...friend?"

"Uh yeah." Rainbow tilted her head to the side. "I mean, yeah you can sometimes be a real goof ball..."

Goof ball?

"But hey," Rainbow shrugged. "Not a lot of ponies here can keep up with me, and well...you're a pretty cool guy. So, yeah; we are friends."

Scar's head and heart zoomed into overdrive, his grin almost similar to Pinkie's. "Uh, you OK there Scar?" he heard her say, her voice slightly vague and distant.

"Uh...Scar?"

Said pegasus snapped out of his happy trance and blinked several times. He hastily regained his composure. "You kinda spaced out there. You OK?"

"What? Oh yeah. Sorry." Scar apologized. "It's just well...Besides my family, I never really had any friends..."

He looked away from her a bit. "Well you got one now." That put a smile right back on his face. "I still got lots of time before I gotta help with the rain. I know this place that makes these totally awesome salads. you wanna check it out?"

Scar was taken a back a bit by the suggestion. When he finally recovered, he was completely ecstatic. She wants to hang out with me! He cleared his throat and smiled at her. "Sure Rainbow; I'd love to."


Just a few minutes afterwards, they were seated at a small outdoor restaurant. As they waited, they continued chatting mainly about flying. They shared each other's tricks, moves, stats, experiences until the waiter showed up with their food.

"So is that Pinkie Promise thing serious?" he asked munching on his salad. Rainbow was right; it was good. "Is Pinkie really gonna pop out of nowhere or something?"

"You bet she is." Rainbow said with her mouth full. She swallowed before continuing. "She's really serious about that kind of thing. I once heard she showed up inside a mirror even though she wasn't in the room."

"S-seriously?" Scar said shocked. The pink mare was freaking him out more and more by the second. "Is she really that...that..."

"Random?" Rainbow suggested. "Yep. Totally. But hey, her Pinkie Promise things keeps most ponies from doing something bad stuff to their friends. You should've seen her when she heard one was broken. She had smoke coming out of her ears and her eyes went all red; can you believe that?"

"Well that's uh...freaky y'know?" Scar said thought the idea of somepony's eyes suddenly turning red did seem like a crazy idea to him. "How'd you know that? Have you broken a Pinkie Promise before?"

Rainbow seemed to be taken aback. "N-no. I'd never break a Pinkie promise. Heck, I'd never break a promise period." she added proudly. "It's just not my thing y'know?"

"Wow." Scar said in admiration. "You sure are good friend Rainbow."

That put a smile on her face. "Yeah; I'm not just the fastest pony in Equestria. I'll have you know I'm also the most loyal one too."

Scar's smile faltered a bit. "L...loyal...?" he asked hesitantly.

"Yeah." Rainbow said unaware of Scar's reaction. "I don't let anypony down, especially my friends. I'm the kind of girl that'll stick with ya until the end."

Scar blinked several times. "Wow that's...that pretty cool of you Rainbow." he said half-heartedly gazing into his salad bowl.

He had always admired Rainbow for her spirit, her determination, her willingness to never give up. Now, he had another thing to admire about her, her loyalty. Sure she had a big ego, but all in all, she'd do anything for a friend like him; she'd never hurt or betray anypony like that.

Betray...

That word hung around in his head for a while. Betrayal...Even he hated the idea; he'd never do anything to betray her or his family. He placed a hoof over his chest, feeling that thing deep inside him. It was the very manifestation of everything Rainbow stood against. If she ever found out about it...Would she still want to be his friend?

She did say that she'd stick by her friends until the very end but still...He didn't want to lose her trust. Trust had never really been an issue with him or Ironhead; they trusted each other despite knowing what they carry, and so did the rest of their family. Would Rainbow do the same?

"Uh, hey Scar. You doing OK? You look tense." Rainbow noted. Scar realized that he still had a hoof on his chest and a slightly melancholy look on his face.

"I..." Scar hesitated a bit. "I'm Ok. Felt a little dizzy there for a second..."

Luckily, Rainbow bought it. "If you say so." She looked aside. "Aw jeez, look at the time. I gotta go help out with that rain thing." She quickly shoved the rest of her salad into her mouth. "Vu wawa elp?" she asked, her cheeks bulging with food.

The sight made Scar laugh. "Sure Rainbow. I'd be happy to."

He took to the skies along with her. Despite his fears, he truly meant what he promised her. No matter what, he'd be just as loyal as she was all the time, and that was a promise he'd keep for as long as he lived.

Author's Note:

So uh...how do you guys like my cover? I'm not good at drawing at all, and that was the best I could do.

PreviousChapters Next