• Published 7th Feb 2013
  • 2,217 Views, 129 Comments

My Little Pony: The Brothers of Discord - mr.myxsiple



Good and evil. Day and night. Light and darkness. Harmony and Discord. When the scale tips the other way, who will become the heroes Equestria needs?

  • ...
5
 129
 2,217

PreviousChapters Next
Field Trip

CHAPTER 46
FIELD TRIP

Ironhead yawned and growled as he trudged through the Everfree Forrest realizing that one of that bad sides to no longer living in Ponyville meant waking up earlier to get to the farm on time; as Big Mac said, he technically still worked there. He licked his lips faintly tasting a few stray crumbs and a bit of cheese from the bagel he finished halfway through the forest.

What am I gonna tell her? Is she even gonna believe me? he thought passing around a patch of strange blue flowers. Undoubtedly, the Apples would question his absence for the past few days. What; do I tell 'em I we got attacked by griffons? Would they even believe me? Would Applejack...

He sighed and shook his head. I already got more stuff to deal with at home. All that crap with Psych and Ash...Dammit...

As much as he loved his brothers, it pissed him off and worried him that they were the way they were. Some days, he would ask himself where everything went wrong. As far as he remembered, he never did anything serious enough to hurt them, and neither did the rest of them. Heck, every time he tried asking them what went wrong, Ash would sulk and be unresponsive while Psych would go on about how he hated him and that he was nothing but a liar and all that crap...

He emerged from the forest not too long later. He looked around and saw that Fluttershy's cottage wasn't too far away.

I'm broken...I'm so broken...

You all got your own issues, but you've no idea of what I must live through every day!

Your flaws...They're not as bad as mine.

Then why d'you all reject me? Huh? How can any of you possibly call yourselves my family if you can't accept me!

He winced remembering that painful exchange yesterday. He stared at the cottage forlornly particularly at the window along the top floor. "Maybe I should..." He stopped himself half-step and sighed once again. "Forget it; Ash's probably asleep anyway..."

He walked past the cottage and eventually found himself in Ponyville. Ponies all around were yawning and stretching as they set up shop and prepare for another day. Ironhead walked past all of them eventually arriving at the familiar path that led to Sweet Apple Acres. Upon taking his first step on the path, he pursed his lips and took a nervous step back.

Sweaty, nervous, fidgety and uncertain about what would happen once he stepped into the farm, it was the night of their first date all over again albeit with 10 times the dread. Of course, back then he was hoping they'd end up a couple while now, we was hoping they'd manage to at least stay friends. Steeling himself like he did before, he took the first step of many towards the barn.

As he approached the barn, he failed to pick up the familiar thud of strong hooves against tough tree bark. Looking around, he failed to see any of the Apple family. "Huh...They're usually supposed to be up by now..." Furrowing his brow, he hurried towards the barn still unable to catch any sign of the Apples. Confused, he raised a hoof and knocked on the front door.

"Hey, it's me! Anypony home?! Granny?! Mac?! Applebloom?!...Applejack?!"

Eventually, he did hear hoofsteps. The front door swung open revealing Applejack on the other side. Her eyes widened for a second before shifting to a neutral expression. "Ironhead." she greeted with a nod.

"Uh, hey there AJ." he greeted back confused at her tone. "So what's going on here? Aren't you guys supposed to be out by-"

"ACHOO!"

The whole house shuddered under the noise. Both ponies flinched at it before turning towards the interior of the house. "What the hay was that?" Ironhead asked.

"Applejack, where's that whiskey I told ya to fetch?!" an elderly voice called from within.

"On it granny; be there in a sec!" As Applejack headed for the kitchen, Ironhead stepped inside. Granny's voice sounded like it came from upstairs. Never having gone up there before, he followed it and ascended.

He came across a corridor lined with doors and picture frames. Ironhead approached one that was a bit lopsided and adjusted it. It showed the Apples seated at a picnic; Granny had a sandwich in her hooves, Big Mac had bulging cheeks as he waved at the camera. Applebloom was in the middle of bouncing a ball on her head. Applejack herself was leaning against a tree playing a harmonica.

I didn't know she played. Maybe I should...

He shook his head and moved to another picture. Unlike the rest, it was a slightly old and faded and filled with ponies he didn't recognize. As his eyes traveled around, he spotted a green mare sitting in the foreground. He suddenly saw that same picture again but in a book he had already read what felt like a lifetime ago. It was Granny Smith back when her family founded Ponyville.

He let out a laugh at the next picture. It showed Applejack back when she was younger, an over-sized Stetson completely covering her face. She looked to be slightly older than Applebloom was judging by the Cutie Mark on her flank. It looks like she's had that same hat for years now; where could she have gotten it?

"ACHOO!"

Another, earth trembling noise rocked the house once again making the pictures on the walls rattle. It actually sounded like it came from down the corridor, more specifically from the second door on his left. He walked down the corridor and knocked a few times at the door. "Uh...Anypony in there?"

The door opened, and he found himself looking down at a small filly. "Oh, it's you Ironhead."

"Hey Apple-"

"ACHOO!"

Ironhead looked up into the room. It was a simple bedroom with a green curtained window, a closet, bedside table and a bed. Currently occupying the bed, was Big Macintosh, all covered up, wiping his nose, red eyed and shivering, a box of tissues at his side. At the end of his bed sat Granny who was busy stirring a large basin sitting on a stool. Inside was a dark grey sludge that smelled like he did after a morning work-out, perhaps even worse.

"Ugh, what's going on here?" he asked covering his nose.

"I-ACHOO!"

"Lemme do the talkin'." Granny said pulled a wooden spoon out of the foul liquid and giving it a sniff. "Big Mac here's got the flu , and I'm whippin' up a batch o' Apple Family flu killer. Been in th' fam'ly fer generations; works ev'ry time." Ironhead peered inside the basin and cringed. "Almost done in fact; where's that there whisky?!"

"Right here Granny." Applejack walked in with a bottle of whisky in her mouth and set it next to Granny.

"What else is in that stuff?" Ironhead asked as the elderly mare poured half its contents into the basin.

"Lemme see now...Whiskey, beans, vinegar, parsley, ginger, garlic, ketchup and apples of course." She continued stirring for a few seconds before turning to her grandson. "Alright Big Mac; it's all ready."

The latter raised his head to check out the contents of the basin and gulped. "ACHOO! Eenope."

"C'mon Big Mac, we need ya to get better so you can be our guard at our class field trip." Applebloom quipped up.

"Guard?" Ironhead asked turning to her.

"Yeah. We're supposed to go to Zecora's to see how she gathers her herbs and makes her potions and stuff, but we have to go through the Everfree Forest-"

"Everfree Forest?!" Ironhead exclaimed making everypony jump. As a foal, his dad had warned them all of the dangers that laid in the woods that surrounded their home and told them to never set a single hoof in there unless he was present. Unfortunately, being the adventurous, hero-playing colt he was, Ironhead would sneak out and explore and play hero once again like he did with his sister.

Of course, he would get caught almost all the time. Equinox rarely showed anger, but even the slightest display of disappointment, frustration or rage from his ever-so-caring dad was enough to crush his insides. Even when his powers manifested, his dad still barred him from the woods despite having developed virtually impenetrable skin and enough strength to crush boulders with his bare hooves. He had to wait years before he could go out on his own. If anything, kids like Applebloom needed somepony to protect them from the dangers of the forest.

"C'mon ya big baby; open up." Ironhead's attention was drawn to Granny poking Big Mac's lips with a glass of her so-called flu killer. The latter shook his head and let out another powerful sneeze. "Alrighty then. AJ, why don't you grab 'ol Smarty Pants over there; it's about time we threw that old thing out-"

"NO!" While his mouth was wide open, Granny jammed the glass into his mouth. The other ponies in the room winced as Big Mac sputtered as the black sludge poured down his throat. A few hack and sputter-filled moments, the glass was finally empty; Big Mac spat it onto the bed breathing heavily and then started licking his pillow furiously to get rid of the taste. Ironhead didn't blame him.

"Any better Mac?" Ironhead asked. Big Mac rubbed his nose and took a deep breath. He let out a smile and sat up straighter.

"Eeyu-ACHOO!" The whole house shuddered again at the force of the sneeze. Big Mac groaned and fell back against his bed just as sick as ever.

"I knew I was missin' something..." Granny said scratching her chin in thought. "Aw shoot! We fergot the pickle juice an' the coffee beans! Huh...Was that it?"

Ironhead gulped at the thought. "Look Granny, how long is this gonna take?" Applejack asked. "I gotta get started on Big Mac's chores."

"And what about us? We can't have our class field trip without Big Mac." Appleblom added.

With a sigh, Applejack trotted to her sister and patted her head. "Sorry Applebloom, but it looks like y'all aren't goin' ta Zecora's today."

The young filly let out a sigh as she bowed her head dejectedly only to jump again at another one of Big Mac's sneezes. With a raised eyebrow, Ironhead took in the sniffling, sick Big Macintosh, the pouting, disappointed Applebloom, the confused, struggling Granny Smith and the frowning, sympathetic Applejack. He just couldn't let this thing ruin all their days; he knew what he had to do.

"What about me?" he asked gaining their attention. "I walk through the forest all the time; heck, I live in that hell hole. I can keep you guys safe if you want."

"Really?"

"Yeah. C'mon, strongest pony in Ponyville here." He flexed a muscle leading Applejack to roll her eyes. "If anypony can fill in for Big Mac, it's me."

"AJ, AJ, can Ironhead come with us to the forest instead?" Applebloom begged leaning on her sister's foreleg.

"I'll take care of her; you can trust me with this Applejack." Ironhead promised with an air of confidence.

Applejack pursed her lips as she went over the offer, Ironhead awaiting her response. He knew from her tone of speaking and the way she looked that she was still a little sore at him for lying to her and all that. He knew that this was his once chance to make up for lying to her, to show her that she could really trust him with something so important.

"Well, if it means you can have yer trip, I suppose it's alright..."

"Yiiiiiipeeee!" Applebloom rapidly bounced up and down, spinning in mid air with each ascent. He couldn't help but grin at the sight; he watched her with her excited jumps and peals of joy, her yellow coat slowly darkening to brown, her mane lengthening and growing and curling at the ends, her green eyes flashing to hazel...

Tugging at his hoof caught his attention making him look down. C'mon Ironhead, we gotta get goin' b'fore Ms. Cherilee leaves!"

"Yeah yeah yeah. Gimme a sec." As Applebloom ran out, he turned back to the other ponies in the room. "Yeah, I'm gonna keep an eye on her. You take it easy Mac 'k? See ya guys!"

He ran out of the room in Applebloom's wake. With them gone, Applejack turned to her grandmother with a sigh. "Well, I better get started on those chores then. Holler if ya need anythin' Big Mac."

"ACHOO!"

"Of course, chili sauce!"


About half an hour later, Ironhead found himself walking back towards the Everfree Forest this time with a group of foals following him from behind. They were all chattering with each other happily as if the idea of them walking into the dark, unpredictable, monster-filled deathtrap that was the Everfree Forrest had't sunk into their young minds yet. "So is Big Mac going to be alright?" asked the only other adult with him, their pinkish purple teacher Ms. Cherilee.

"Oh, he's doing OK. Granny and Applejack're taking care of him." Ironhead replied as the familiar dark and menacing trees loomed in the distance. "I think he's gonna be fine."

"That's a relief. It's also a relief that you were so quick to fill in for him Mr. Ironhead." she thanked.

"What? I-It's fine miss." he replied a little bit embarrassed. "Applebloom was really excited about this while ago; I didn't really wanna mess this up for her and her class. Still thinking if it's really safe for kids to be in the forest though..."

"That's understandable, but there is so much our class can learn from Zecora. I originally asked if she could come to our school, but I think there was a mix-up with the mail that we noticed too late." Cherilee let out a sigh. "When I finally decided to just have the class at her hut, I asked Big Mac if he could come with us as a bodyguard."

"Yeah, he is tough enough for the job. Then again, I did beat him at hoof wrestling, so I guess I'm good enough too." Ironhead added with an air of confidence.

Cherilee smiled and stopped at the rim of the forest. "Now class, does everpony have their travelling buddy?"

"Yes Ms. Cherilee!" Every foal in her class was paired up; Applebloom had a bushy maned filly with glasses standing next to her.

"OK. Now we're about to enter the Everfree Forest." Cherilee gestured to the path that led into the dark woods. Ironhead noticed a couple of students swallow of shake slightly in fear. "I know it's scary which is why we have Mr. Ironhead here to watch over us." The aforementioned pony, not expecting to be called, waved sheepishly at the group. "As long as we stay on the path, none of us will get hurt."

"Oo! Oo! Oo! Oo!"

"Yes Twist?"

"Mithster Ironhead, izzit true you live in th' Everfree Forest?"

A jolt went through Ironhead, not expecting to be questioned about anything that day. He glanced at Cherilee who wore a similar look of surprise before turning to the curious filly. "Uh...Yeah...But I take different path to get home. I didn't even know somepony else lived there."

"Do you have to fight monsters all the time?"

"Well uh, not really. Sometimes when I'm walking, a timberwolf or a manticore or whatever pops up, but I can manage."

"So are we gonna get attacked?"

The voice that asked shook a little. All around, Ironhead could see uncertain eyes and flattened ears on almost every student. Some visibly showed their fear of entering the forest, while others tried to put on a brave face. Pouting, Cherilee glanced at Ironhead showing that she herself was a little afraid of the forest.

"Hey," Ironhead stepped forward getting their attention. "Nothing's gonna happen to you guys, not on my watch. You guys can trust me alright?"

A few students shrugged, but the rest remained as uncertain as ever. On particular earth pony colt near him was shuffling around and looking at his hooves. "But...It's so scary in the forest..."

Ironhead pouted and let out a sigh. Huh...C'mon; what would dad do? He took a deep breath, put on a gentle smile he had seen many times on his father and spoke to the colt. "Hey, lemme ask you something. You ever read any of those comic books or something?"

The colt looked up, a hint of interest in his eyes. "Well, I do have a Power Ponies copy back home..."

"Really? Y'know, I'll let in you on a secret..." He gave him a mischievous grin. "I got super powers too."

Excited whispers and gasps of "Huh?" came from the class. The colt Ironhead was talking to looked up at him curiously. "Super powers? Only ponies in make-believe comics have super powers." a prissy-sounding pink filly near the back of the group replied.

"Oh I got powers alright." He turned away from the group and made his way to a large, thick tree along the path into the forest. "Hey guys, check this out!"

He grabbed the tree with his hooves and heaved upwards. Several kids as well as Cherilee gasped as Ironhead ripped the entire tree out of the ground like it was nothing. Grinning, Ironhead stood on his hind legs, the massive tree balanced on his shoulders and launched it upwards. As it fell, he wheeled around and bucked it right in the middle of its trunk.

The other ponies watching him flinched as a powerful crack resonated through the area. The tree split in half, practically exploding and showering the ground with splinters and sawdust. Both halved hit the ground with a thud with Ironhead standing right between them. It was an simple and easy feat, one he had actually done several times before.

"Y-You do have super powers!" the colt cried out running excitedly to him.

"What did I tell ya?" Ironhead said ruffling his mane a little. "You guys got nothing to worry about in there. I'll protect you no matter what."

The mood in the group improved after saying that; those fearful and uncertain faces were now smiling knowing that they would be protected. Cherilee smiled as well and glanced at him giving a silent thank you for cheering up her students. Ironhead nodded back at her and turned to the forest. It wasn't going to scare anypony now, not while he was with them.

"OK guys; let's do this!"

PreviousChapters Next