• Published 6th Feb 2013
  • 1,585 Views, 62 Comments

The Drums of War: How to live as a Timepony - ShackledTime



Life is, to say the least, unpredictable, especially if you wake up in the body of a previously insane Timepony with a god-complex.

  • ...
6
 62
 1,585

Start of an Adventure

After successfully making breakfast, which consisted of scrambled eggs and bacon with a side of toast (The Master had to teach me how to properly grip things things with hooves),I sat the plate at the table and sat in the first chair I found. “Well,” I said to myself, “Let’s see how we did”. I pick up a fork full of eggs and gingerly bring it to my mouth. After a few chews, I swallow. “Huh, not bad,” I say, picking up a piece of bacon and trying it. The taste is different, but not unpleasant.

After finishing off my food, I was already feeling used to being a pony. The only thing I had to worry about now was how to effectively use the restroom, which earned a few mental chuckles from The Master. With that done, I promptly trotted back to my room, close the door, and begin reaching for my laptop as I sat atop my bed.

After fiddling with the latch for a few seconds, I finally got it open, now presenting a new problem. “How am I going to used anything on here?” I asked myself as I stared at the screen asking for my password for the next two or three minutes. It was then that I heard the sound of my brother, Tyler getting up in the other room.

‘Well, this could prove useful,’ The Master mentally told me, a slight bit of panic running in my own thoughts. My brother isn’t a fan of the whole ‘brony’ thing, he’s not like a racist against us or anything, he knows just about a third of the things I do about it, but he often says he rather he didn’t.

“Hey, Shane you up yet?” I hear him ask from the from the other side of the door.

“Yeah, just feeling a bit sick” I say, attempting to cover the sound of my new voice my sounding ill.

“What, when did you get sick?” he replies, I hear him going for the doorknob, the slight jingle of the inner mechanics tapping against each other.

“Don’t come in!” I suddenly shout, my sick voice blown as I lose focus.

I hear his hand jerk away from the door as soon as I say it. My heart is pounding in my chest, wait, make that two hearts. Nonetheless, I am pretty much on the edge of my proverbial seat at this point, the thought of my brother seeing me like this nearly giving me a heart attack.

“Why not?” he asked, suspicion in his voice.

“Because,” I began, before the Master decided to interrupt my train of thought. ‘Oh, this is just pathetic,’ he said, ‘Just let the kid in and show him’.

I took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. “You know what? Fine, come on in,” I say, letting the accent flow completely.

As he finally opened the door, he looked dead at me with a look of total disbelief. I started to open my mouth to talk, but Tyler stopped me before I could speak with a raise of his hand.

“You know what,” he began, “with all the news lately, I should've known that this would happen”.

“Glad to see you’re so understanding,” I say flatly.

“So, who is he, the pony you became?”

“I happen to be the Master,” I say matter-o-factly.

“Isn’t that supposed to the Doctor’s enemy?” he asked, giving me a quizzical look.

“Yes, he was,” I retort, “but after being destroyed in the battle against Rassilon, he apparently went into Equestria and now he’s here, or rather, I’m here.” I finish my little explanation with a wave of my forelegs.

Tyler gave a bit of a laugh, “Really,” he started, “after being in a battle against a near god-like entity, with lightning no less, he ended up getting thrown into a world of technicolor ponies? Yeah, I’m not buying it”.
“Look,” I say, looking Tyler in the eyes as he came closer to me, “does it matter if you believe it or not, just help me out, please?”

“Why, do you need something?” he asks.

“I could use a mouse, hooves aren’t really made for heat sensitivity.”

“Right,” he says, “I’ll go grab the spare from the garage.”

And so, I am left to my (and the Master’s) thoughts. “Well that went better than expected,” I said to myself, waiting for the Master to respond.

‘And that’s the thing about humans,’ he began, ‘they are capable of thinking they understand a situation to the point where they just simply accept it.’

“Well, that’s one way to look at it,” I reply, looking at the door as I hear Tyler’s footsteps coming this way.

“Found it,” he exclaimed, holding it at eye level before setting it next to me.

As I plug it in, I tap softly at the keys on my keyboard with the tip of my hooves. When the loading finished, I was face to face with my New Lunar Republic background and a few icons. I use my hoof to maneuver the mouse to the Google Chrome icon, the browser opening instantly. Tyler was looking over my side at the screen, waiting for me to do something. “Can I help you?” I ask sarcastically as I look at him.

“Sorry,” he says as he backs off a bit, giving me a bit more breathing room.

“It’s fine, just need a bit of space,” I reply as I go to facebook for the first time in months. “Might as well announce that I was ponified,” I say, creating a new profile.

I had Tyler snap a picture with his phone and upload it to my laptop so I could use it for the account. The shot was of me smiling as I straightened my bowtie, I think the Master may have influenced me to do that, since I never pose for a picture.

After that was done, I posted a message saying that I was just turned into a pony, looking to see if anyone could relate, or if they were going to pass by Georgia on the way to New York.

When I finished with Facebook I decided to check Youtube, see if there were any new developments. As if turns out, there was a video of a girl named Danielle who got transformed into Derpy, googly eyes and all. ‘Ouch,’ I think to myself, ‘I get a genius and she gets the one who is made fun of for being an idiot’. It talked about how she recently woke up as a pony and the morning she went through so far and saying she was looking for a ride to New York. I typed out a comment: ‘Hey, my name is Shane and I know how you feel, I just woke up as The Master from Doctor Who, but as a pony, I’d love to meet up with you to go to New York, just let me know if there’s anyway I can do to help you, remember, there is always safety in numbers.’

I finished up using the computer, I turned to my brother, who at this point had gotten bored and was using his phone to play ROMs. “Well that’s done,” I say, drawing his attention to me.

“So, what are you gonna do?” Tyler asked as he put his phone away.

“At this point,” I reply, “I plan to wait.”

“Wait,” he inquired, “wait for what?”

“Meh, don’t know,” I say, “I just got a feeling something will come my way.”

“So... what now?” Tyler asked.

“Well, it’s Friday, so you need to go to school,” I reply, a smug smile on my face.

“What?!” Tyler nearly shouted, “Why should I have to go to school if you don’t?”

“Think about it,” I said, “If I do go to school, I’d; one, probably be made fun of for being a pony, and two, get every last bit of work done as it’s being handed out, so it’d be a bit unfair.”

“You’ve gotta be kidding m-,” he was cut off as I used a trick I remember the Doctor using, the one that mutes someone for about five minutes by shushing them.

I watched for the next two minutes as he struggled to make a sound while I laughed the whole time. It was honestly one of the best things about being a timepony so far.

And so, Tyler begrudgingly got ready for school, giving me the rest of the day alone.

****

A few hours had passed and I had gotten unbelievably bored, so bored in fact that I started digging around in my collar, which to my discovery was kinda like pocket space, you know, bigger on the inside. Inside it held the broken remains of the Master’s laser screwdriver, a few letters from a mare in canterlot, a piece of physic paper, and a small fob watch, the one that could contain the DNA of a timelord.

“Who are you?” a new voice asked.

As looked around for the source, I saw my cat at edge of my door. “I’m sorry, did you just speak?” I asked, looking at the black ball of fur.

“Yes...” she replied, backing up slightly, looking afraid, “was I not supposed to?”

I look at her, waving my arms defensively, “No, no it’s fine,” I quickly state, “it’s just I’ve never heard a cat speak...”.

She seems to soften up a bit, walking over to my bed and jumping on to it. “My name is Tabitha,” she says, “ but everyone just calls me Nellie”.

She paws at my foreleg a bit, testing the hide for imperfections most likely, before repeating her previous question, “Who are you?”

I give a little smirk before I pet her, “I guess I’m not the same as I used to be, am I?” I ask stroking her from head to tail, “It’s me, Shane”.

She seems distracted for a moment, lost in a sea of purring, before she looks back at me, “You’re Shane, the one who feeds me extra treats every morning?” she asks, rubbing her head against my hoof, “what happened?”.

“Transformation,” I say, “there are others that woke up like this too, seems to happen every day now.”

“Well, I like it,” she replies, “it’s nice to have someone else to talk to, besides that overactive dog...”.

****

The rest of the day was spent talking between the Master and Tabitha, the former telling me how the screwdriver was broken in the explosion from his last fight on Earth, and teaching me what parts I could gather to at least get it to function, though most of it seemed to be broken still, said it was because of ‘primitive technology’.

Tabitha on the other hand was quite talkative after I was able to get Zipper, our dog, to stop chasing her. She told me about what her family was like, the dreams she’d have, and what she wishes she could do.

When it came time for Tyler to return home, I had showed him the now non-lethal laser screwdriver, and told him about how Nellie felt about him, having to remind him of the whole ‘Timelords/ponies can speak and understand any language in the universe’ thing.

I later went back to Youtube and saw another video about Danielle this one dated yesterday, “Wow I’m behind...” I say as she lists off what had happened to her, meeting up with Octavia, said mare having to go to a hospital, and being taken to the Lunar and Solar guards. I retype my comment on the newer video, hoping she sees it this time before checking my reply section, “Oh, probably should’ve done that first...”. Inside was the reply from Danielle and another from a person with the username ‘cedarpoint100’, the first reply read: ‘I would love to meet up! Currently I’m with Tavi, if you don’t mind. Well, safety in numbers! but anyways, where would you like to meet up?’. I open the second and read: ‘Could I (Ditzy) get a ride there too? I live in Ohio, but can go a ways. The more, the merrier!’I tap out the response to Danielle: ‘I guess the best place to meet would be Tennessee, if you can make it. It’s good to know you already have company, but always remain alert, remember this is Discord’s field now.’ Replying to Ditzy, I type: ‘I’ve set up a meet up with Derpy and Octavia, We’re going to meet in Tennessee. I’ll be using a signal to let you all know where I am, hope you see it, being a Pegasus should help.’.
.

After that, there was a sudden flurry of clouds popping into my room, the thick fog obscuring my vision before it died down to reveal the spirit of disharmony himself. “Well this is certainly a drab little place to live.” Discord stated as he looked around my room, ignoring me for the moment.

“I’m sorry,” I say, staring at the draconicus, “is there a reason for popping into my room?”

“Yes actually,” he replied, turning to me, “I’ve come to make you an offer.”

“Whatever it is, I’m not interested,” I say with a death glare at the creature.

“Really?” he asks, “I’d think with a mind like yours, you’d be more onboard with taking over the world...”

I suddenly find myself speaking, not of my own accord, “I have made peace with myself, Discord, and I suggest you leave, before things go bad”.

I see my brother out of the corner of my eye at the door, a titanium bat in his hands, ready to strike at Discord. But as he brings it down on him, it turns into a swarm of butterflies.

“Really?” Discord says, a second face appearing on back of his head to look at Tyler, “You thought that would work?”

Tyler, seeing me, pushes right past Discord and goes to my side.

“I suppose it doesn’t matter,” Discord says, “not like you can do much. Well, I have more important things to do, oh, but before I go,” Discord snaps his pawed fingers, the drumming in my head becoming ever so much more noticeable, “just in case you change your mind about the offer...”. And with that, he vanished, Tyler searching for any sign of what he had done.

**** **** **** ****

“We need to leave,” I say quickly.

“What?” Tyler asks, looking to me, seeing I’ve already packed my laptop & mouse, a few bits of food that I keep in my nightstand and a few other things into a backpack.

He puts a hand on my arm, I stop and look at him. “Are you crazy,” he asks me, “you’re planning to go all the way to New York...”

“Yes, and?” I reply, the drums in my head becoming a bit more irritating at this point.

“And, I can’t let you go alone,” he says, “you may be the older one, but right now you’re going to have to go through Hell to get there, so I’m come with you.”

I stare at him a look of determination on my face. “Right then,” I say with I nod, “let’s get packing then”.

**** **** **** ****

After packing, I look at the clock, it’s only 5PM. We leave behind a note for our parents, telling them what happened and what’s going on. We started heading for Tennessee, the light of day still high in the sky. Traveling across two states is going to be a bit difficult if we’re going to walk, so, I decide to try out my screwdriver on my car, causing it to sputter to life.

“What’d you do that for?” Tyler asked me.

“Low level telepathic field,” I say, repeating what the Master instructed me to do, “basically, I just made driving a whole lot easier”.

Climbing into the car was simple, as the door unlatched with a thought, I jumped right into the driver seat, mentally revving the engine of the red 1994 Toyota Forerunner. Tyler was quick to question my idea however.

“Are you serious?” he nearly shouted, “ how do you plan to get down the road, let alone cross country?”.

“With this,” I say, showing him the physic paper, the perfect forgery of a state driver’s license in his eyes.

“How in the hell did you...” he begins before he remembers who he’s dealing with, “psychic paper, nice”.

After Tyler climbs into the passenger seat, I move the gear into reverse and pull out of the driveway. “Looks like we’re headed for Tennessee,” I say, going into first gear as I enter the road, “let’s see how fast we can get there”.

Author's Note:

Yeah, the story's going to converging with twins soon...
Anyway, let me know if there are any obvious errors in there.