• Published 1st Feb 2013
  • 1,367 Views, 58 Comments

My Little Planetside - Alanox



Twilight convinces her friends to play a new MMOFPS by Pony Online Entertainment. Unfortunately, they've all picked separate sides. Hilarious violence ensues.

  • ...
1
 58
 1,367

Hvar Tech Plant

Rainbow Dash refused to be shot down. Or shot. Her Mosquito flew through the air, shrugging off the debris of Scythes blown up seconds before, and just barely missing the ground from near-vertical bombing runs. There was only one thing that could possibly stop her lightning-fast killing spree. Ammunition. It already stopped her twice, and she was running out of Rotary bullets again. She used her fresh Certs and bought another rank into Ammunition Capacity. She already had three ranks into it, but could not bring herself to deconstruct her precious Mosquito. She banked around another hoodoo, flattening out her bird and searching for targets. However, instead of targets, she found the most lethal anti-aircraft weapon POE put in the game. The tree. She ejected and activated her wings, trying desperately to slow down and avoid landing in the middle of an enemy force. She carefully landed on a tree branch and collected herself.

“Ooh, Dash, are you alright? I saw your Mosquito crash…”

“Yeah, I bailed in time. Let’s see what I can do above enemy lines.”

Dash descended down the tree and snuck up on two unsuspecting Snipers. She raised her Chainblade and stabbed it in the head of the Luna Sovereign, piercing the shield and sinking into the helmet. The sniper dropped to the ground, and a kill message popped up on her screen. TheBookinator, Sniper, Battle Rank 3. Two seconds later and another one. Passion4Fashion, Sniper, Battle Rank 4. She observed the area around her and flew back into the tree before hearing a message from the Herdspeak announcer.

“User entered your channel. User entered your channel.”

A familiar voice flooded her headphones.

“Rainbow, did you stab both of us?”

“Uh… probably. To be fair, you heretics did have it coming.”

“Heretics? Darling, we’re only embracing the future.”

“Heh, you lame-o’s did a good job of embracing my knife in your skulls.”

Twilight growled at the retort before both unicorns angrily left to their own channel.

“Another victory for the Equestrian Republic, right, Flutters?”

The channel remained silent.

“Shy? You there?”

Rainbow Dash pulled up her map and looked for her friend’s location. Fluttershy was supposedly inside a building, not moving. Dash checked to see if the animal caretaker was dead, but instead, found Fluttershy had changed classes to an Alicorn. Dash floated down from the tree and galloped towards her friend’s position, finding a group of Luna waiting outside the door. Heavy gunfire could be heard inside. Rainbow rolled a grenade to the Luna and killed all but one, a fact rectified by a quick burst from her sidearm. She walked in the doorway and up the stairs, finding the floor covered in dead Luna. She peeked her head above the top of the stairs to see Fluttershy’s character backed into a corner, firing both her guns and mowing down a horde of ponies coming in the other door. Not more than a second later Fluttershy’s side-mounted chainguns started clicking. One Luna Healer stood in front of the Alicorn, her futuristic Assault Rifle aimed right at her. Fluttershy’s wings flared out as she activated her charge and slammed the Healer into the wall, aiming her horn and spearing the cultist through the neck. The Luna dropped to the ground, and Dash released the breath she had been holding, forgetting that her mic was still on. Fluttershy saw Rainbow’s head and literally jumped, before examining all the bodies around her and relaxing even less. Rainbow climbed the last few stairs and approached Fluttershy, the Alicorn’s fear almost silly to her.

“Oh, Dash, I’m so sorry, I just… I wanted to see what the Alicorn was a-and… then I got stuck in this building and… all these Luna came and I tried to make them stop b-but… please don’t get mad at me for taking all of these kills from you!”

“Fluttershy, that was awesome! Why didn’t you tell me you were such a beast as an Alicorn?”

“I sort of haven’t played it at al-” The yellow Pegasus was interrupted by a blast of white on their screens and a deafening noise playing through their headphones. Through the confusion Dash targeted and shot down an enemy Pegasus who most likely threw the flash grenade at them, but once their sound returned to normal they could hear the sound of heavy hoofsteps nearby.

“D-Dash… what is that?”

Fluttershy’s question was answered by a Luna Alicorn slowly walking up the stairs, aiming its guns and them and unleashing hot plasma upon the room.

“Fluttershy, run!” The Equestrians sprinted out of a side entrance to the building, Fluttershy’s heavy armor absorbing most of the Alicorn’s lasers. They hopped down from the balcony and ran into a nearby building, trying to make it to cover before the Luna Alicorn got them into view. They rounded the doorway to see a strange vertical generator in the middle of a large room, and a Luna Sniper crouched right at the side.

“SCU compromised.”

The Generator lit on fire and alarm sirens blared as Dash quickly lined up and dropped the Sniper. Passion4Fashion again. She could imagine Rarity laughing at her. Fluttershy ran up to the Generator to find a way to fix it, but as soon as she got close, a Luna Proximity Mine detonated right under her hoof, the Alicorn dropping to the floor.

“Fluttershy, no!”

Rainbow Dash ran up to try and find a way to raise her friend and fix the generator, but plasma fire behind her signaled the Luna Alicorn had caught up with them. Dash tried to run away, but her shields were dropping fast as shot after shot hit her. The door was only a few meters away. Her shields were down. So close to safety! Half health. She was at the doorway! Three bars left. She was through it! Safe! Dash rounded a corner and cut off the Alicorn’s sight on her. She took a second to breathe and get her shields up, right before her shields went down and her character stopped breathing. She looked at her first death screen since installing the game. TheBookinator, Sniper, XM98.

“Twilight…” Dash growled at her computer.

Rainbow respawned at Hvar, but before she could leave the spawn room she heard a loud explosion.

“SCU destroyed.”

The Pegasus tried to remember what the SCU was for, but could not bring it to her memory.

“Rainbow, I can’t spawn at Hvar anymore.”

At that moment Rainbow remembered that SCU stood for Spawn Control Unit. She had to make this life count. She ran upstairs and through the protected shields, carefully flying and crawling through a window. She rain through the building, across a walkway, and flew up onto one of several large tankers. She had to hurry; while Magriders and infantry couldn’t see her up here, and passing Scythes of Liberators would quickly spot and shred her. She glided up onto a ledge in the main facility after a short jetpack recharge, and then into the main elevator. She descended onto the roof of the main facility, covered by the landing pad. She hopped off the front and onto the dirt road in front of the facility, before hearing a familiar noise behind her. She turned to see a fresh Magrider bearing down on her, cannon lowering to point right at her. She dashed to the side, trying to make it behind a wall before the Magrider could fire at her. She just passed a barricade before a near-miss dropped her shields, but she made it into a building.

A quick shield recharge and she dashed out of the other side, coming face to face with a fully loaded Sunderer, all 12 passenger slots filled. Dash pulled out a C4 detonator. If she was gonna go out, this was a sufficient bang to go out with. The top-mounted turrets started firing at her, but she was too low for them to hit. Luna soldiers started exiting the vehicle, either to get away from the impending explosion or to kill her before it happened. She reached the side of the Sunderer. It was still deployed, preventing its escape. She threw one stick on the side. Lasers started firing, bringing down her shields. Another stick. She knew she was going to die. But she was going to preserve the peace of the Equestrian Republic in this one small act. The elimination of this enemy vehicle was the most important thing on Auraxis. Her health was nearly gone. The whole scene played in slow motion. Her hoof hit the detonator. Light clouded her vision. She heard nothing but a loud ringing, slowly dulling down. For a second, she could see paradise. She then hit the floor of a Magite-Reconstruction Chamber. She separated her mind from the game, un-immersed herself in the world to get a grip on reality. She looked back on the screen, surveying what damage she did. A rank up. 10 certification points. Twelve kills. Two maxes. Five extreme menaces. And two very important Snipers. TheBookinator and Passion4Fashion.

Dash leaned back into her chair, closed her eyes, and smiled.

The battle may have been a defeat, but in that moment, she was the victor.