• Published 31st Jan 2013
  • 739 Views, 19 Comments

My Little Pony: Chronicles of Light - Talon19912



A sory about the struggle between light and darkness

  • ...
3
 19
 739

chapter four

A/N:
This chapter will be told from the perspective of Talon, let me know what you think, and if I should continue writing this way.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I looked at the ponies that had gathered around. I looked at them seriously for a moment. “The first thing I will say is this, these creatures are known as Shadow Spawn, as for how I dispatched it,” I paused a moment. “I will need to start at the beginning,” I said. “I want you to understand that you all seem to live a fairly sheltered life, even you your highnesses,” I said looking in their direction. “From firsthand experience my kind has found the stars to be quite inhospitable, when we first left for space we had only ever been able to send specially trained men to the moon, over time however out technology advanced to the point where we were able to build ships with faster than light capabilities,” I paused to gather my thoughts. “The first planet we colonized was a planet in my home system called Mars, It was a huge success. We eventually discovered special metals and minerals not found on earth, this gave us the ability to create even better starships. We began to push the boundaries of our solar system, however is when we came upon another society living amongst the stars. As you could expect things didn’t go over to well, my people were thrust into an interstellar war that almost drove us to extinction. Of course that was thousands of years ago,” I explained.

“Now obviously things changed over time and as Humanity grew so too did our technology and power,” I said. “Of course it was a time of relative peace, the worst conflict that had erupted was a civil war on the planet Alpha 1, or at least that’s what my people thought. It was humanity’s first contact with the shadow spawn. According to history the ground war that followed was pretty bad resulting in us ultimately losing the planet,” I took notice of their faces; I guess the idea of any kind of war is a foreign concept. “Now about the shadow spawn themselves, they’re evil, pure and simple, uncompromising, sadistic, and merciless. They are almost unbeatable, they have a natural resistance to magic of almost any form other than cosmic magic, they are definitely a pain to deal with, I only managed to kill the one that attacked Celestia by catching it off guard, it won’t be that easy again,” I said with a hint of foreboding in my voice.

“I have fought the shadow spawn for many years and I have gotten good at killing them, my training takes advantage of over a thousand years of knowledge concerning them,” I said. “As for how I killed the shadow spawn from earlier, the truth is, I am a cosmic magic user or C.M.U. for short as with the majority of the people on board my ship in the sky,” I admitted. The groups’ eyes widened at my statement. Twilight spoke up “So what you’re saying is that you killed a creature the hurt the princess easily and walked out without a scratch, by only using you magic?” she asked. “More or less, yeah, however I my people can’t use magic without a focus of some kind to channel magic energy through,” I placed a hand on the hilt of my blade. “My blade acts as my focus, without it I wouldn’t normally be able to fight with magic, and I would be about as useless as a ‘stock’ human,” I said with no small amount of resentment in my voice. “A ‘stock’ human?” Twilight asked. “An unmodified human, almost all of us are modified in some way, a stock human is a person who refuses to have any kind of bodily modification, even medical mods such as disease prevention implants and other beneficial augmentations, it’s not necessarily a bad thing, but most stock humans belong to multiple terrorist organizations, some even defect to join with the shadow spawn,” I said with disappointment. “Well not all stock humans are like that, however, but they are few and far between, but we’re off topic,” I said.

“About the shadow spawn, if there is one, there are no doubt more, I need to know now if any of you have seen other shadow spawn,” I said. “Well,” Twilight spoke up. “I saw one last night, everything around it seemed to rot away, and it turned other creatures into something similar,” she said nervously. I brought my hand to my chin, one of my typical thinking actions, suddenly it dawned on me “A Corruptor, this just got a whole lot worse,” I said with urgency. “How so?” Luna asked. “Normally shadow spawn aren’t able to corrupt complex organisms outside of reptiles and insects, however if you throw a corruptor into the mix, nothing is safe,” I explained. “Look, I need to get in contact with my ship,” I said as I grabbed my helmet and put it on. I activated my H.U.D. “This is Artemis one, to Acheron Star, come in,” I said the waited for an answer. “This is Acheron Star we read you Captain, how are things down there. “Peaceful, for the moment, however it looks like corruptors have made it planet side, and I have already taken care of a grunt that was on patrol near an inhabited village,” I said. “Understood, the other scouts have reported along the same lines, do you have orders sir,” The operator asked. “Prepare the Hell Jumpers, once I have permission they are to touch down a quarter mile outside my position, this seems to be the area most heavily populated by shadow spawn,” I explained. “Understood sir, the Hell Jumpers will be on standby until you give the orders,” The Operator replied. “Understood Artemis one out,” I turned to the ponies in the room, I had been pacing back and forth, something I do when I have a lot of pent up anxiety. “Princesses, this is a serious situation your people have found themselves in,” I said. “Now my crew and I are willing to help you out, however, since this planet doesn’t fell under Earth United Empire control my hands are tied unless you give us permission to set down on you planet, if not than there isn’t much we can do to help you,” I said as I looked at the two princesses. “I Talon James Eques, formally ask your permission to touch down on your planet an help fortify and defend your cities and civilians from the threat of the shadow spawn, and since you are the leaders on this world, my men and I will be at your command until such time that we are no longer needed,” I looked at the through my visor, thankfully my helmet was on, or they probably would have seen me sweating, I had my own personal reasons for taking this action, some of which would probably surface one day, however at this point in time I felt this was what I needed to do. Celestia looked up at me “Captain if you can personally promise me that my little ponies will be kept from harm I see no reason not to let you help,” she said. I looked at her. “Princess this is war, I can’t promise that there will be no casualties and there will be some we can’t save, however I can promise that as long as we are here, we will do all we can to minimize the damage done and protect those we can save, you have my word” I said. Celestia seemed to think for a moment. “I understand, captain,” She said. “I give you permission to do what you must to protect my little ponies,” she relented. “Understood, princess,” I said.

“Acheron Star, this is Artemis one,” I said through my com-link. “This is Acheron Star we read you captain,” The operator replied. “Permission has been granted, launch the Valkyries and prepare Hell Jumpers, it is time to burn away the infection that the shadow spawn have brought to this world,” I said with conviction. “Understood captain,” The operator replied. I turned to the others. “Alright it’s time to meet the men, you are all more than welcome to join me,” I said as I headed towards the door. ‘This is going to be a tough fight,” I thought to myself.

Author's Note:

Like I said earlier this was a test chapter, however that doesn't mean it wasn't important to the main plot. \
Besides I wanted to try a different style of writing. The action will no doubt pick up as the story progresses. So let me know what you think, and if you have Ideas that I could add to my story, send me a message. If not no problem, I just want to make this story as good as It can be, so others can enjoy reading it. Thanks a lot.