• Published 22nd Jan 2013
  • 6,028 Views, 164 Comments

Encounters - Dai Kirai



After a demon summoning spell goes wrong, a magical 'void' is created on the outskirts of Ponyville. But something is coming.

  • ...
29
 164
 6,028

Chess

President Margarette Tow was getting ready to leave for Equestria. Going immediately seemed brash to some, but Senator Brent was getting close and she needed to set up peaceful relations before he found out what was really going on. Brent was a rival of hers, a rather hardliner that kept trying to impede her no matter the cost; all for the sake of politics. Politics, coming from Greek, poly meaning many and tics, meaning bloodsucking creatures. She ruminated over one of her favorite quotes on politics, and thinking just how apt it really was.

She was in the Director’s office, in the chair behind his desk; making sure things were set up for her trip. “Agent Reed, call Operations and tell them to setup project ‘Icarus’, they’ll know what to do. Next get someone to send a message to Avery and Victor, tell them that I am coming and to be ready, they get to be an ‘Honor Guard’” She hated having to use ‘Icarus’ but it looked like they were likely to ‘lose’ part of the base, and she had to plan for every contingency. As for Avery and Victor, they really were the best choice of guards, and the only ones that could work as protection. They both knew the language better than any other potential guards would, they also had experience with ponies; they knew more about their body language and what actions would be threats. Besides, they were very good at looking like they weren’t paying attention; even when they were. It worked better and kept the edginess out of already tense situations. Besides, they were already read into ‘Equis’ as it came to be known after receiving of the M.A.L.P.’s telemetry.

President Tow wasn’t upset at having to bring Mr. Marcus along, he was currently the best at the Equestrian language, much better than Jarry and he understood their culture, not to mention the respect he had garnered. Yes, he’d make a great advisor to whoever gets picked as the Ambassador since he has no skill in politics whatsoever. She mused.

I can’t keep Brent out of this forever, but if I can get ahold of some of those magic gems, I can at least cut him off at the knees and make him a paper tiger. She needed a plan against him; this was where the long game came in. He was trying to get people against her party so that he had a better shot at the Presidency. And that would be the end to any kind of peace in international politics. She remembered how he was always for supplying weapons to whatever small rebellion would hurt his enemies; not caring that they would be his own enemies later. It didn’t matter; he would just find a new rebellion to stir up. He’d once told her, ‘If the whole world is fighting themselves, we get free reign.’ She was going to use an executive agreement instead of a treaty to keep the senate from trying to stop it, or having the American public find out before all her ducks were in a row, afraid that it could cause chaos.

She was also going to offer to help build their embassy. She had two reasons for this. The first was to build goodwill, they couldn’t get enough material in from their side in order to get it built. The second was purely tactical; the Director of the CIA had planned on placing bugs into the concrete. It was a tactic they Russians had pulled during the Cold War on an American Embassy in Moscow. It was very effective and could still be. It’s not that out of the ordinary, every country spies on their allies. It was effective, especially since no two countries motives were always in line with each other or may be contradictory. Or they can have evidence of something and not hand it over due to politics. She sighed. Only a three and a half more years until I can retire. Margarette Tow sighed and got up from the chair, she walked out the door of the Director’s office, ready to see this new world.

Celestia was sitting with her sister Luna in the Royal Dining Hall, waiting for their guests to arrive. The Royal Dining Hall was big enough to host a dinner party for over 50 dignitaries. The standard long redwood table had been switched out for a more manageable one that would only seat about 20. Celestia and her sister were both seated at one end, facing towards the gilded doors that their guests would enter through. The room was an ornate affair designed to impress, with marble columns against the walls separated by red curtains with a white and gray alternating marble tile pattern.

Luna’s appearance was a counterbalance to her sister’s pearly appearance. Whereas Celestia had a white coat with golden horseshoes; Luna’s coat was a deep navy blue with silver horseshoes. Luna’s cutie mark was mottled black with a white crescent moon which was complimented by her black necklace that mirrored her cutie mark and simple black tiara. She was an alicorn just like her sister, with a mane of medium blue that grew translucent at the ends and blew in an ethereal wind. There were specks of pure magic in her mane that cause it to look like stars in the night sky. Sitting next to each other, Celestia’s extra head of height was readily apparent.

Celestia had received a letter from her student earlier that day stating that she would be bringing the foreign diplomat today. It was earlier than expected but was still within the expected outcomes. They should be arriving within five minutes, so they were waiting in the Hall to meet them. They wouldn’t be eating today; Celestia just wanted to have the meetings in a room where both sides could be seen as equals.

“’Tia, Are thou sure this is wise?” Luna asked her sister. “They are a violent species.”

“What other choice do we have?” Celestia replied. “Are we to ignore them like we originally did with Discord or the Griffin Kingdoms?”

Luna knew all too well what those choices had cost in the past. The first led to their ponies being tortured and manipulated. The second had led to a war due to a misunderstanding that was only averted at the last minute, they still weren’t sure how.

Luna lowered her head, those mistakes were both of their faults, but it reminded her all too well of her own transgressions as NightMare Moon; when Celestia risked everything to save her. “That tis a valid point, dear sister.” The Princess of the Night raised her head back up to look into her sisters eyes. “They are still violent. If they can’t get along with themselves. How could they expect to get along with a species they view as prey?”

“Lulu, please. There is more than that. We get along with several other kingdoms that used to do the same. And they aren’t all as evil as you may think.” Celestia and Luna had both been looking into human history, and for every great evil, they had a great hero. One’s that would risk everything to protect those they cared about. In that respect, they weren’t that different from ponies. That; however; did not mean she wasn’t taking precautions. But her sister could only see the similarities they had to a certain mare of darkness.

A knock on the doors signaled the arrival of her guests, and the beginning of a new chapter in Equestrian history. Each side of the arched door was surrounded by a different aura of magic, one pink and the other green. As the doors opened, Celestia noticed two columns of beings. To her left was that of Twilight Sparkle, Lyra, and Rarity who had been asked to attend for a special purpose. To her right was the human delegation, being led by a human female dressed in what had to be the finest of materials and flanked by her two ‘Honor Guards’ who Celestia figured had to be armed, following them was a human male that had to be the translator.

Celestia motioned towards the table and spoke in Equestrian, “Please take a seat.” Twilight and her friends sat on the left side of the table on raised platforms so they could see over the table. The President sat at the head of that end of the table in a seat specifically designed for humans, still flanked by her guards, with the translator to her left side. “Mr. Marcus, would you please sit across from Twilight, I would feel bad if you had to stand the whole time.” Celestia smiled as she spoke, using her millennia’s of experience to be as polite and dignified as possible.

After Anthony told the President what he had been asked, she nodded her head and he moved down the table.

“Welcome to Equestria, Madam President.” Celestia spoke in perfect, unaccented English.

President Tow had a split second of shock cross her features, barely perceptible. “It is my pleasure. I hope these talks go well.”

“As do we.” Responded Luna, her voice more accented than that of her sister’s.

“And the first matter to be discussed should be the selection of ambassadors.” Celestia stated. “If it is acceptable to you, we should like Rarity here to represent Equestria in our dealings in your country.” As she pointed to the white coated pony that looked shocked. Celestia hadn’t told her plans to anypony, and was about to see if it would pay off.

“That is acceptable. If I may ask though, what are her qualifications?” President Tow had looked into the Equestrian system and had a good idea as to why that pony was picked, but no clue who other candidates might have been.

“Rarity is a hero to all of Equestria.” Celestia intoned, making sure to present Rarity’s best. “She is a business pony of the highest class and has experience dealing with the upper echelons of society. Finally, as the Element of Generosity, she will be fair in her dealings with both sides.” Making sure to leave out her other reason. And it will keep Prince Blueblood far away from the portal since they can’t stand each other. “Twilight and Lyra will also work as her advisors, being that they are the best experts we have.”

“The United States has no issues with her qualifications.” President Tow conceded. “She is an admirable choice. Now we have three candidates for the Ambassador to Equestria. It is only fair that since you asked our opinion that we listen too yours.” She stated very amiably.

That was the opening Celestia was waiting for.

“Tis not necessary.” Luna replied before her sister could state it. “We have a candidate in mind. Mr. Marcus.”

The President of the United States was livid. I played right into that. “I will take your suggestion under advisement, if you will-“ She was interrupted by the same royal blue alicorn.

“It has been highly suggested by both Lyra and Twilight that he be allowed to represent the United States in your dealings here.” Luna intoned, adding an air of condescension to her voice. “We agree, as does my sister. This is non-negotiable.”

“You can’t dictate our policy. Just because you can get whatever you want here doesn’t mean we will just roll over for you.” If The President was livid before, now she was fuming, doing her best not to let it show.

Celestia cleared her throat. “My sister may have been a bit blunt, but she is correct. He has shown respect to our customs,” after a bit of prodding. Celestia had read her student’s reports after all. “Thus, he is the only one we will accept. If this does not work for you, there are plenty of other countries on your planet that we can set up negotiations with.” She didn’t have to change the tone of her voice for the threat to be understood by all at the table.

“Agreed, on the condition that we are paid in full for the land and facilities for your Embassy.” The red-haired leader began negotiating. “We are ready to give you the area around the Earth side of the portal and we shall share the actual facility for testing and transportation of personnel and materials.” She wasn’t done though. “That would include paying for the loss of our testing field since we wouldn’t run tests of a military nature that close to your Embassy. We will even help you to build your Embassy.”

Celestia considered the terms for a few minutes; weighing the potential costs and gains of such a move, and what it could possibly cost. “Agreed. We will pay you in an assortment of magical gems that you can use to help your people.”

Luna objected almost instantly. “Sister! Thou can’t be serious!” She cast a dark look at the humans. “They can’t be truste-“

The Eternal Diarch of the Day stopped her sister with a gentle hoof on her back. “They will just be lighting, heating or similar stones to ease their burdens. They can’t be used as weapons, Dear Sister.” She then returned her attention back to the rest of the table. “Twilight, if you can take your friends and Anthony to get some food, we have other matters to discuss.”

Twilight quickly nodded and stood, as she walked towards the door, the other three simply followed. Once the doors had shut once again; Celestia let her façade drop. “We will attend to our own Embassy, Madam President. That way it can suit our needs exactly.”

The President failed to take the hint though and continued with her play. “Once you have the designs drawn up, we can bring in heavy machinery to help you build it faster. Surely you have seen what we are capable of building.”

“We have looked into human history.” Luna was done playing games; she was still acclimating to the change of politics that occurred during her 1000 year absence. “We don’t trust thee that far.” Celestia decided not to stop her sister; she was arguing the same points Celestia would have, if not more aggresively. “For all we know you would plant listening devices to spy on us.”

“The United States has no records of us doing such things.” Margarette Tow rebutted. Maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to give them unaltered history texts. But if they are as old as they say it would have been seen through instantly and made matters worse.

“And what of this Russia? Have they ever done it?” Luna accused, her adversaries silence confirmed her suspicions though. “We are older than any other living creature on your planet and you would attempt to deceive thee? We are here to protect our ponies at any cost, whereas humans are only out for themselves.” The Regent of the Night was ready to fight, she didn’t trust these petty little creatures and wouldn’t let them try anything; she would protect her ponies with her life.

“We would rather not deal with Thee.” President Tow intoned, turning Luna’s speech patterns into an insult. “It would be better if we dealt with Celestia. Humans wouldn’t like dealing with a ‘benevolent’ ruler that tried to depose her sister and kill off all her subjects. Although that does sound like a very despotic human thing to do.”

Celestia shot to her feet in an instant, splaying her wings wide, grim expression covering her face. “ENOUGH!” She yelled, using the Royal Canterlot Voice to drown out all other noise and bickering. She’d had enough of their bickering. “Luna will be staying here to deal with the daily running of Equestria and her cycles of night and day. If it is necessary, I will travel to Earth to see to things personally if I must.” She then turned her expression straight at Tow. “And I will NOT tolerate that kind of talk towards my sister. She made her mistakes and she paid for them. Are you saying you have never made one?”

Celestia looked behind the President to see her two guards holding small plastic devices against their chests, holding it with both arms. She already knew of them as some variation of guns. “If that is all. I believe we both have other matters to attend to.” She stated as she turned around and walked out the door that was behind her. Showing her back to the President of the United States.