• Published 9th Jan 2013
  • 1,476 Views, 30 Comments

Adventures in Gaming: Pathfinder - Fluorescent Sandstorm



While cleaning out the library's basement, Twilight comes across a stack of books that bring back unhappy childhood memories. When Pinkie Pie finds them however, she sets out to creat the most fanstasical campaign ever!

  • ...
1
 30
 1,476

The Manhunt

After everyone had gotten a minute or so to get situated with whatever sandwich Twilight had supplied them, Pinkie belched loudly, grinning as everyone blinked at her “Ok, good, attention regained! So, how do you all go about trying to find Mr. Meanie?”

All four broke into thoughtful poses for a moment, AJ’s chin resting on her hoof before she raised an eyebrow and shrugged, giving Pinkie a sly glance. This was Pinkie Game mastering…. “Ah call out Marco an’ wait for ‘im to call Polo.”

“Oooh, good plan, good plan, but, lemme tell you a little secret” she said, leaning over to AJ, closer, closer, personal space quickly becoming a non element, nose to cheek. “…He doesn’t like games.”

“…Ah. Ah see.”

“I know, so evil right?!” Pinkie said as she slid back to her side of the table with a snort. “Any other ideas?”

“…umm, well, since Razor, um, ‘works’ in this area, maybe he could ask some ponies he knows?” Fluttershy offered with a slightly raised hoof.

“Hrrm. Ok, umm, give me a… well, are you asking these ponies nice like or scary like.”

“…I don’t think Razor knows how to ask nice, so, um, scary I guess. If that’s ok.”

“Sure it is! Yooou just have to show me what kind of scary face you give them!” Pinkie replied with a slightly growing grin. Six eyes rose at the party pony before they turned to look at Fluttershy, a mixture of curiosity at, amusement, and concern on the various faces at how the pegasus would react.

“Oh… u-um, maybe we should try something else then…”

“C’mon, it’s a good plan Fluttershy, and you’ve done fairly excellent in portraying Razor so far” encouraged Twilight.”

“Yep, an’ it's all in good fun remember” added AJ with a winning smile. Rarity for her part looked a tad more concerned, but it wasn’t necessarily for Fluttershy.

Fluttershy looked around as if to ensure no one had snuck into the kitchen to observe how silly she was about to make herself look. “Well… ok” She took a deep breath, hid her face behind her hooves to compose herself, before pulling them away to reveal her best, most ferocious snarl.

…grr. T-tell me

“…”

If Fluttershy had done it to a little bunny, it probably would of given her a comforting hug and told it to practice some more rather than run in terror. (Well, actually her bunny would have smacked her with a carrot and gone back to whatever he was doing, but that’s beside the point.) Her friends were doing all in their power to keep themselves composed, and for all but one it was merely strained smile and silent, covered snickers. Pinkie was never one for composure however, and was failing miserably at covering up her giggles, eyes closed in her laughing fit “O-ok, um, sorry ‘Shy but no plusses, so go ahead and ro-“ The sound of hooves landing on the table snapped pinkie’s eyes open, and the sight before her cut the laughter off almost instantly. Those gaping blue pits weren’t eyes. They were portals into the ninth circle of hell itself, its power being called upon once more to contain the wicked and tame the cruel, as Fluttershy spoke in utter, deadpan calm as she stared down Pinkie from point blank range.

“Tell me.”

“…Roll”

“HEY YOU MADE IT!” Pinkie exclaimed before the dice stopped even moving.

“…”

Everyone burst out laughing as Fluttershy fluttered back to her seat looking quite pleased with herself, if somewhat abashed. “Sorry Pinkie, but you said my best scary face.”

AJ doing her best to keep her pounding on the table to a minimum “Gosh darn Ah wish yah coulda seen yer own face there Pinkie, was priceless!”

“Indeed. I thought you of all ponies would of thought better than to ask that of Iron Will’s star pupil” Rarity said with her own dainty giggle, Fluttershy having the grace to look slightly embarrassed at that little debacle being mentioned.

“Yep. Totally my bad there guys!” Pinkie said as she laughed herself, obviously no lasting harm done. “Ok, so, umm, leeeeeemme check” She said as she flipped through a notebook she had. “Ok, one of the ponies you scar for life says he saw somepony like Mr. Meanie pants go into a bar about ten minutes or so ago!”

“Excellent! We go there then!” Twilight declared

------------------------------------------------------------

The four heroes found themselves outside another tavern. Ableit one that looked slightly less reputable than the one they had started at.

“The Frontside Grass Muncher. How refined sounding.” Fabulous commented dryly as they looked up at the sign. Razor shrugged as he started walking forwards.

Wrong side of town for fancy girly. Now c’mon, we got money to make.” The other two follow, and after a moment the half faun sighed and followed in as well.

The inside of the tavern lived up to all the class and wealth its name implied, which was none at all. Chairs and tables were scattered about with no regards to each other, and the whole, admittedly cramped affair was lit by a single lantern that swung in a dull circle as the quartet entered. It was empty save for a single, grotesquely overweight pony who leaned on the counter staring dully at a fly as it buzzed in front of him. Dauntless could of swore the stallion mouth was slowly opening as if to snap at the fly in hopes of a winged snack, and the warrior quickly coughed. The bartender blinked and shot up from the counter

“Oh, err, welcome, welcome to, uh, my bar. Yep. What can I do for you mares?”

------------------------------------------------------------

“….Pinkie, how does your voice even get that low-“

“Twilight” AJ interrupted in a warning tone. The unicorn, shot her a glare, sighed, and motioned for the game to continue.

------------------------------------------------------------

Dauntless strode up to the bar and nodded. “Greeting sir. I was hoping you might have some information for us.”

The bartender gave her a dull look, looked her over a bit…

------------------------------------------------------------

Pinkie leaned over and looked and looked at all their character sheets quickly….

------------------------------------------------------------

… and looked back up with the same dull look. “For you? Nah. But for her?” He said, shooting the half faun a look as he grinned and winked, revealing the utter lack of teeth the right side of his mouth had. “Well I reckon I may remember something.”

The half faun blinked and stared bewildered a moment.

“… ew.”

Razor rolled his eyes and whispered to her. “Look, you don’t need to marry the creep Girly. Just ask him the question and we bounce outta he-“

He was interrupted by the sound of the Resplendent’s hooves smashing into the bar, the bartender letting out a yelp as the paladin narrowed her eyes at him. “Sir, are you attempting to put my compatriot in a compromising situation?”

“uh, I, uh-“

“We are in pursuit of a criminal sir” Resplendent cut off, eyes narrowing even further. “One who will continue to be a scourge upon this city each second he is free. And we have been told you know where he may be. And for every second you play your games here, is another one of those seconds he’s free. Do you wish that on your conscience sir?” She asked with a growl.

“Well, no, but, I-“

“Good. He’s a destrier, with black chains across his body. Now…” She leaned in across the bar. “…where is he?”

“… northern quarter, Quickins street, little apartment on the corner.”

“Thank you sir. Sarenrae’s sun guide you” Resplendent said with a nod as she turned to leave without another glance. The other three looked at each other, before Razor snorted and followed.

“Or we could do that.”

The half faun and pony shrugged, before following as well. Fabulous trotted to catch up to Resplendent, the paladin giving her a questioning look as she did so. “Yes?”

“I, just, well, thank you. That had the potential to be… uncomfortable.”

The paladin shrugged. “It was nothing. Besides, as a paladin of Sarenrae, it is my duty to stand up for the weak.” The last part was said with an almost un-paladin like smirk. The half faun gaped slightly before turning away with a “hmph. We will see how weak you find Fabulous once you see the might of her magic!”

------------------------------------------------------------

“Ok, so you girls and guy reach the address. The building’s seen better days, and the windows are boarded up. What do you do?”

“I go up the door an-“ Twilight started to say before Fluttershy stuck up a hoof and shook her head.

“Let me do it. I go up to the door and make sure it isn’t trapped Pinkie.”

“Ok, lemme roll real quick…. Darn, you see it! I thought for sure this was gonna surprise somepony, but you find a tripwire near the door, connected to some alchemist above the door!”

Fluttershy nodded and rolled to disable, smiling slightly “Ok, so twenty four.”

“Aww. No fireworks then, you do it right!” Pinkie said with a shrug and grin. Fluttershy nodded and motioned for Twilight to go.

“Right, nice catch Fluttershy. Ok, so, I tell everypony to wait for the count of three, and then once everypony’s ready I count to three and bust the door do-“

“Except when you hit two, the door busts out on you!” Pinkie Pie cut off with an evil cackle.

AJ grimaced.“Ah, con’sarnit, he-“

------------------------------------------------------------

“-was prepared for us!” Yelled Resplendent as he broke off into a run, the Destrier from the locksmith’s having just blown threw the door and Dauntless in a hail of splinters. All four heroes quickly turned and galloped, and the chase was on! The four followed through the twists and turns of the streets, ponies and fauns getting knocked aside by pursuer and criminal alike. Razor growled and broke off from the group, yelling “I’ll cut him off!” before disappearing down an alleyway. The other three kept going, before gasping in surprise as the Destrier slowed for a moment and kicked a barrel of bananas over in their path. Fabulous scampered over them, Dauntless jumped over the pile with a mighty leap, and Resplendent yelped as she went sliding into a pole

------------------------------------------------------------

“And that’s why I’m not in heavy armor” Twilight commented a bit smugly as AJ rubbed her hoof down her face.

------------------------------------------------------------

The paladin pulled herself up in a daze, while the other two heroes dashed after the destier. As they ran, however, Dauntless slowly started to fall behind…

------------------------------------------------------------

“And that s why I am not wearing armor.” Rarity replied with a giggle as Twilight stared forlornly at her failed endurance check

------------------------------------------------------------

It wasn't long before it was only half faun and destrier sprinting through the streets, the mage barely capable of keeping up with the fiend, almost there, and when she caught him she would… well… um…

Perhaps she should of thought this out better before outrunning all of her allies.

Unfortunately for her, the destrier seemed to have that thought a the same moment, suddenly coming to a stop, grabbing her, and whipping her down to the other end of the alleyway they were at. She stood shakily up to her feet and gulped, stepping back a step as the beast snorted in anger and started walking slowly forward.

“Ah, well, see, I’ve caught you, so you should very well surrender... Please?” she asked with a shaky smile

The destrier grinned and shook his head, grumbling simply in a voice that sounded like more like a bear from the abyss than any kind of pony. “You’re screwed Girly.”

“Hey, I got dibs on that nickname.”

The destrier, blinked, started to turn around, and howled in pain as Rusted Razor tore into his back. He staggered backwards, before roaring in anger and pouncing towards Razor. Fabulous gasped, raised a hoof and said the words for a ray of enfeeblement….

------------------------------------------------------------

“Oh, oh my. A twenty is a ‘critical’ yes?” Rarity asked with a blink at her roll.

“Not quite, you need to roll to hit again first. I think. Not sure with magic, Fluttershy?” asked Twilight, leaning under the table to where the pegasus was still hiding after hearing Pinkie's destrier voice.

"Y-yes. go ahead and roll Rarity"

Rarity rolled

“EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-”

------------------------------------------------------------

… and a green beam shot out of it and flew right into the back of the destrier’s head. The thug fell face first into the ground, skidding a bit. If he had any strength left to move his mouth, he would of said “ow”. Razor stared blankly for a bit, before looking up at Fabulous.

“Where the buck did that come from Girly?”

A few minutes later Dauntless and Resplendent caught up, huffing slightly as they caught their breath. They were greeted by the sight of Razor carefully checking the ropes tied to a struggling destrier, Fabulous sitting quite smug nearby and smiling at the two as they appeared. The two warriors looked at each other, before looking at Razor.

“Did you-“

“Nope” He cut off with a smirk, jerking a hoof towards Fabulous. The sorceress simply smiled slyly and raised an eyebrow at Resplendent.

“ Oh, it was nothing. Even for somepony as weak as me”

Author's Note:

The longest part of writing this part was figuring out what was in the stupid barrel. I don't even think they keep bananas in barrels.

Anyway, after this the chapters get a little longer, but also probably only weekly updates.