• Published 9th Jan 2013
  • 1,477 Views, 30 Comments

Adventures in Gaming: Pathfinder - Fluorescent Sandstorm



While cleaning out the library's basement, Twilight comes across a stack of books that bring back unhappy childhood memories. When Pinkie Pie finds them however, she sets out to creat the most fanstasical campaign ever!

  • ...
1
 30
 1,477

Amorphous blobs

Chapter 2

Once everyone was in the kitchen, a few minutes of jokes, snack grabbing, and quill searching passed, before everyone settled in. Pinkie stood at the head of the table and gave a small jump as she exclaimed “Right! to the game!” before handing everyone a character sheet. Twilight and Fluttershy barely spared the thing a glance for now, while AJ and Rarity stared blankly at the mess of boxes, letters, numbers, and lines before them

“…Uh. Ah thought we were gonna play a game Pinkie. Not file our taxes” AJ commented flatly

“Oh come now AJ, at worst you have to do some basic algebra.”

“Twi, you think calculatin pie to the thirtieth decimal is basic”

“Did somepony say pie? Is it cherry?”

“Let us forget the pie before we lose our chief game leader” Rarity interrupted with an eye roll, while Fluttershy smiled and patted AJ’s shoulder

“Don’t worry AJ, it’s a little daunting at first but we can guide you through it, and before you know it it’ll be easy. Or at least a little less algebra” The farm pony sighed and shrugged before gesturing to Pinkie to continue, the party pony nodding with a grin before reaching to a bag beneath the table and pulling a small clear box full of six sided dice out. “Ok! First we need to roll your stats! Yay dice rolling!” she said with a small clap before passing out four of the dice to each

“Oh… I’ve never done rolls for stats before…” Fluttershy said with a slightly nervous gulp

“Its more fun this way, trust me!” Pinkie scoffed “Lets make it all super dramatic and let each pony roll one at a time, k? Twilight, you go first. Just roll your dice and then add up the three highest and rinse and repeat five more times!”

Twilight nodded, before she picked up the dice and…. Held them. For a few seconds. Then a few more. And a few more. The other four stared patiently for a bit, before Pinkie waved a hoof in front of the unicorn’s closed eyes. “…Uhh….Twilight?”

“Shhhh. I’m concentrating.”

“On what?” AJ asked with a blink

“My roll of course.”

“Concentrating on what about it exactly dear? I thought you of all people would appreciate a good random number engine” Rarity replied dryly.

“I… just don’t want to screw up.”

“How exactly does one ‘screw up’ rolling dice?” the other unicorn replied back with a giggle

“I… I just don’t want to ok?” Twilight shot back, smacking her hoof on the table, blinking as the dice came loose and rolled… and added up to a sixteen. “…Hrmm. Two points below the maximum and well above the mean. Excellent. Rarity, mock me again, I want to see if there’s a correlation.”

_______________________________________________________

Twilight’s rolls averaged out from there, Fluttershy’s peeking a bit above averge as well which she was very happy to accept. AJ was on her last roll, and grinned slyly as the dice came to a rest

“Hoo-ee, another seventeen! This set’s prettier than a princess on a train tah fancy-ville, and Ah dun even know what I’m doin with these numbers yet.”

“Mmm. Yes, well, mildly impressive, but let us see if I can best it, shall we?” Rarity replied with a grin of her own as her turn finally came around. She picked up her dice, blew gently on them as they sat in her hoof, and rolled… and let out a squeal of delight as three sixes came up, marking the first eighteen of the night. “Ahaha! THAT is how a lady rolls dice my girls, they appreciate a gentle hand.” She picked them up, repeated the ritual, rolled… and stared along with four other sets of eyes as the dice came to a stop.

With two pairs of snake eyes staring dully back at all of them.

“…Wow. That’s… stastically impressive at least” Offered Twilight.

“Oh my…” was all Fluttershy added.

As for AJ, she was on the floor laughing her flank off.

“Bahahahahaaaa! Geez sugarcube, you sure as hell rolled em like a lady alright. Let em lead yah on then drop yah cold!”

Rarity finally managed to pick her jaw up off the table, giving a Pinkie a terrified look “Is that… does that count? Can you even get that?”

“Yeeeep” Pinkie replied, doing her best to hide a giggle of her own.
Rarity’s mouth contorted a few times as she tried to respond, to argue against it, before she sighed and regained her composure. “Fine then. I shall simply make up for it with my other rolls. Like so” she almost growled as she rolled again.

“…This is the WORST. POSSIBLE. THING!” Rarity whined as she stared forlornly at the result

“Technically your three was much worse, though I agree that an eight is suboptimal” Twilight corrected helpfully, as both Pinkie and AJ lost it once more.

_______________________________________________________

Rarity’s peaked at a twelve after that, though thankfully no more below ten. She sat glumly staring at her sheet as Twilight patted her on the shoulder. “Don’t worry Rarity, you can still make a functional character off of this. Did you want help making your character?” she asked, whizzing through her own sheet with ease, somewhat surprised at how well she’d retained her knowledge of the game. Only somewhat though. Studying was studying even if it was for fun. Which the majority of studying was anyways

“I suppose so. I want to do something exciting. Something flashy. Magic most likely. They say three is a magic number yes?” Rarity replied with a defeated chuckle.

Twilight nodded replying in all seriousness. “In over twenty different cultures yes, though unfortunately not in this game. In any case, there’s a few types of magic users, though the most prominent would be the wizard and sorcerers. Wizards learn magic from books, kind of like me, whereas sorcerers are born with it and fuel their powers by force of personality.

"Magic powered by… personality?” Rarity asked with a small gleam in her eyes. “That sounds enchanting darling why, if that was how it works in real life, I daresay I could stand in line with you. Tell me more of these ‘sorcerers’”
Twilight gave her a flat look that dissolved into a giggle. “Ok, well, you choose your bloodline…”

On the other side of the table, Fluttershy was similarly guiding Applejack. “So, um, do you have any idea what you wanna do AJ?”

“Honestly, not a clue. Ah was just gonna glance through n’ pick whatever caught my…fancy… first.” She stared at the picture that had landed before her as she was leafing through the pages, a powerful looking mare decked out in heavy armor yet with a look of peaceful conviction on her face, a soft glow almost visible around her. “… Hey Shy, what’s a paladin?”

_______________________________________________________

“Ok, is everypony ready?” Pinkie queried a dozen or so minutes later, grinning at the four nods she received in response. “Super! Alright, then we’re almost ready to play, let me just tell you a bit about the world and stuff and let you all introduce your characters and then we can go on an ADVENUTURE!” she yelped with a bounce, before reaching into her bag and pulling out a rolled poster of sort. A really really big poster, to the point that Twilight started a “That shouldn’t even physically fit in ther-“ before AJ stuck a hoof in her mouth and just shook her head no. Pinkie rolled the poster out on to the table, and four small gasps could be heard as the others gazed upon it. It was a map of sorts, showing a continent none of them had seen before drawn in beautiful colors and detail.

“Oh my…”

“Darn Pinkie, that’s mighty impressive.”

“Oh the colors, the designs, its gorgeous! “

“Pinkie, where did you get this? You didn’t even know this game existed until you borrowed a few days ago!”

“Oh, I just drew it last night” She replied offhand, sorting through the rest of her bag.

“You just… in one night... but… its…” Twilight tried to formulate some sort of response, before AJ’s hoof was once more in her mouth, giving her another shake of the head. Pinkie missed or ignored the exchange, looking over a notepad before nodding.

“So! This whole continent is a far of land called Dorescia! It’s a place with its own countries, races, and adventures! Important for you all, at least right now, is here” she said, jabbing a hoof onto a dark splotch on the map almost as big as some of the countries “This is the city of Tharantonia, home of the arch mage council and free from the reign of any king. It has existed for millennia as a bastion of freedom and magical study and stuff, and has like a bajillion districts and neighborhoods bigger than most cities. You all have come from everywhere across the land to Tharantonia, each seemingly of your own accord, and at the beginning of the campaign you’re all in the lower class and kinda slummy dock districts, where you watch your coinpurse like a Gilda if you don’t want to lose it!” she said as she finished that cheery description. “So, take a bit and try to figure out why your character would be there, and then we can introduce your creations to the others!” They all blinked before going into thought. A few minutes later they had all pretty much settled on an answer for themselves and around the table they went. “Ok Twilight, tell us your pony’s name, class, and a little bit about them!”

“Ok… well, my character’s a fighter pony named Dauntless Trooper. Her dad was a mercenary and taught her ever since she was little, but a year ago vanished after taking a job from a mysterious wizard. Dauntless has devoted herself to finding out what happened, but her only clue is that the wizard lived in this city. Is that ok?”

“Yep!” Pinkie said with a nod, scribbling in her notepad before turning to Applejack. “You’re next!”

“A’ight. Ah’m playing a paladin of the goddess Sarenrae, goddess of the sun n’ honesty, named Resplendent. She was born in the city and in a not so nice part a town either. She grew up lean n’ mean, till one day she stole from a wanderin priest who was visitin town. She nigh got scared to death when he showed up at ‘er shack the next morning politely askin for his stuff back, but when he didn’ get mad at her fer doin it she followed ‘im when he left, an he taught her all ‘bout Sarenrae an tenants. That was a few years ago an now she’s back tah see if she can help make the city a lil’ better than she ‘members it bein.”

“Neato! Ok Rarity, how ‘bout you?” Pinkie asked, scribbling furiously now.

“Hrrmph. Well, being a powerful sorcerer, the half faun Fabulous had always dreamed of moving to Tharantonia, and the docks was the only place she could find an apartment. She is doing her best to move up from there. Is that enough?”

“Probably yea.” Pinkie said with a nod, writing only a few words before glancing to Fluttershy “And you Shy?”

“Ok, well, um, I’m playing a half destrier rogue named Rusted Razor. He was a hitter and lockbuster for one of the local thieves guilds, but got kicked out after refusing a nasty job and is lying low now trying to decide what to do with himself and um why is everypony staring at me like that?” she finished timidly as she slowly ducked lower behind the table, even Pinkie Pie with a raised eyebrow as all four looked at her with varying degrees of surprise.

“Oh, well, it’s just, you making that kind of character simply came a bit left of field darling.” Rarity finally replied.

“You’re playin a colt?” AJ asked blankly

“W-well, I figured you all were playing mares, and I just figured I’d help balance it out some…”

“She’s right!” Twilight suddenly interjected. “Any good fantasy epic keeps its characters diverse in both gender and social position, to help intersperse different viewpoints in the story.”

“And it’ll be fun to see her play him!” Pinkie added with a nod, before she grinned a slightly more excited than usual grin. “So does that mean everybody’s ready?” Four various forms of affirmative rolled out in response and with a slightly villainous cackle Pinkie ducked under the table.

When she came back up, she wore a black cloak, the shadows only showing her bright blue eyes in their darkness, as her voice growled out from within. “It was a dreary, rainy day on the streets of… Fluttershy?” She stared at where the pegasus had been a few moments ago, before a voice squeaked out from under the table.

“u-umm… could you GM without the hood p-please?”

“Aww. Ok!”

Author's Note:

Once more amusing, though came across the problem of trying to decide how far to go into the logistics of character creation. On one hand, I want to give people who hadn't played the game at least a vague idea what all the terms I was throwing about meant. On the other hand, its logistics. Hopefully I found some sort of balance.

Oh, also of note is this is the first time the fact that Pathfinder's modded somewhat to fit Equestria shows up, in the mention of the races. Destriers are similar to orcs, fauns to elves.

Once more, hope you enjoyed, next chapter's where the real fun begins!