• Published 19th Jan 2012
  • 2,187 Views, 42 Comments

Wings - Ancient



A guy far from home, a bitchy griffon, and a whole lot of things that want them both dead

  • ...
2
 42
 2,187

Chapter 3

I was awoken by droplets splashing against my face. I began to moan in pain due to what felt like my ribcage being torn open. I tried to open my eyes and was blinded by bright light
"Will this nightmare just end already?" I grumbled as I shielded my eyes from this light.
'Wait a minute. This light actually hurts my eyes?'
I squinted, it was bright but also blue. Was it over? Had I just woken up? I tried to sit up only to grab my stomach in pain. Was I wounded? How bad was it? I sat up and patted my chest to feel for wounds. I looked down to see a pretty good sized whole in my hoodie and shirt underneath. The flesh behind the holes looked as if it had been sun burnt badly with dry red cracked skin. I was faintly bleeding from the cracks but it wasn't as bad as it felt. I finally managed to open my eyes fully and see white splotches in the blue canvas that displayed itself before me.
'Am I outside?' I though as I pushed myself to sit upright. My hands pressed against dew covered grass which answered my question almost immediately. Apparently it was early in the morning from the look of the sun. I looked around and saw trees. Ignoring the pain in my gut I forced myself to stand up and lean against a tree. Where in the hell was I? I turned and saw what looked like an opening to a clearing. I shoved myself off of the tree and stumbled to several trees resting against each one. I finally reached the tree before the opening and was immediately grateful I had decided to wrap my arms around the tree to prop myself up as I looked out over the edge of a cliff that faced a massive valley. I looked down over the edge and guessed It was a good ten second drop. Looking out over the valley didn't turn anything up. I saw nothing that showed any sign of civilization. Not a single road or house was distinguishable within the forest below. My stomach grumbled but I had no idea what I should have done. My choices boiled down to getting food or starting a signal fire.
Between my options I chose food. I knew the hunger I was feeling wouldn't help me through this and wouldn't get better. After a final gaze upon the valley I spotted what could have been a pond or a lake, at this range it was hard to tell. If there was anything to eat it’d probably be there. The cliff side was steep but not impassible. I used to rock climb as a kid so I had some idea of what I was doing even though I couldn't visualize a single memory of me doing anything like this. The climb down wasn't to challenging except for two drops I had to tuck and roll to make. Jagged rock was not meant to be rolled across as the results of doing so left my right shoulder bloody and tore up a little more of my hoodie. The last obstacle I faced was a sheer 40 foot drop to the forest floor. I didn't see any immediate solutions to this. I spent the next five minutes going over ideas on how to get down from the small ledge I stood upon. With the cliff wall as high as it was going back wasn't an option. I looked down to see I was almost level with the top of the nearest tree. Without giving myself time to think about the consequences I jumped. It isn't all that rare for me to make a seemingly bad decision without thinking about it at all. Luckily I collided with the tree and got two handfuls of branches. I stayed still so as not to break any branches as the treetop swung with me on it. I slowly began my decent through the tree wondering of what I would need before nightfall.
'I could make a shelter,' I told myself 'and build it right by that la-"
A branch snapped loudly from somewhere in the distance.
I had my breath held listening waiting for a second sound to come signaling a wild animal. Surely enough there was a crunch of fallen leaves being stepped on. I was about to jump down but then thought about whatever it was that made the noise had the chance to be predatory. I reached in my back pocket and pulled out a utility knife I had gotten from work.
'Yeah bears will run in fear.' I thought as I looked at the pitiful razor edge of the blade. I looked around and saw a good sized branch to fashion into a spear.
Another crunch, whatever it was it was getting closer. I reached for the branch and twisted and bent it trying to make as little sound as possible. The branch finally broke with a snap and I quickly began to sharpen the end with my knife with no hesitation. I heard the sound of loud wing beats start, get louder, and stop again. The tree I was in gave a sharp jerk almost tossing me off my branch.
I looked down to see if anything was climbing my branch. I quickly began cutting the branches off of my almost finished spear. I stopped and looked straight ahead.
'Where’s the crunching?'
I thought something knew I was in the tree and was trying to climb it. I lowered my makeshift spear so it pointed down. Then it hit me.
The tree shook earlier...
But nothing was climbing it...
I felt unusual warmth on the back of my neck for a brief second. I froze, my head involuntarily began to look up. I was eye to eye with what looked like a giant birds head. Its golden eyes stared right into mineI swear for a second I thought it was fake.
Then it blinked...
"AHHH!!!" I tried to bring my spear up and lost my balance. I fell and hit the ground landing on my back. I looked up into the tree and saw the entirety of the creature as it looked down at me. It looked like a bird with the body of a lion. It had wings protruding from its back that were massive as compared to anything I've ever seen. It continued to stare at me with yellow eyes that seemed to lock into a stare with mine. I made a small notice of the gretish purple marks around its eyes. My makeshift spear which sat balancing on a branch when I let go wobbled a little and then slid out of the tree and landed inches from my head impaling the ground a good half foot deep. I swung an arm and grasped my spear ripping it from the earth in panic. I aimed it up towards the creature which was unmoving up in the tree. I thought I was imagining it but I could've sworn it looked... confused. I pushed myself to my feet and backed away from the tree. I turned and heard the crashing of leaves right behind me so I burst into a full out sprint. Whatever the hell that was it was my size or bigger and had managed to sneak up on me in a tree. I was not in any shape to fight this thing if it came down to that. I couldn't tell if whatever it was was catching up to me so I began to run though the thickest brush I could find hoping to lose it if it was in pursuit. My mind went from a state of frenzied panic to planning my next move in an extremely rough transition. I began to think if I could ambush the creature I could kill it, if I could kill it I could eat it, id need a fire though but I was going to take this one step at a time. I had made some good distance between me and the creature. The crashing leaves were further than they had been but getting closer. I scanned the area and saw a tree thicker than the rest right ahead of me. When I reached the tree I quickly scurried around it to see it provided great cover. I crouched and waited. I readied my spear and positioned to charge whatever came past the tree. Hopefully I'll catch it by its blind spot but something in the back of my mind told me
'That easy? Not likely.'
The crashing was loud enough to be on the other side of the tree. It suddenly stopped.
*Crunch*
I held my breath
*Crunch*
I tightened the grip on my spear
*Crunch*
'This is it! Now or never, do or d-'
"What the hell was that?" said a voice that was not my own from around the tree.
‘A voice?’ I thought confused. I hadn’t seen anyone on my way here.
I stood up and poked my head from around the tree. There it stood, that damned creature walking up to the tree. I pulled my head back before I drew its attention. I needed to figure out where that person was that spoke a few seconds ago. Did they see the creature? Is that why they asked what they did? I saw the bird creature walk past the tree not noticing me in the slightest. I leaned forward ready to charge. I saw there were spots on the ground bare of leaves, perfect. I launched myself away from the tree and towards the side of the creature carful to place my feet upon the dirt and not the dry leaves which surely would have given me away. Just a few more yards....
*Snap*
'Crap'
The creature turned to face me rushing it. Its whole body lowered unexpectedly ducking the spear that was meant for its midsection. My momentum sent me straight into its side knocking the wind out of me and my spear from my hand when my stomach rammed its wing. I suddenly realized I was leaning over the back of the creature. It pushed itself into a sideways roll and I, being on top of the thing went with it. Before I knew it I was being crushed beneath the creature's back like it was a living steamroller. I did what I could and quickly wrapped an arm around the creature’s neck from under it. I didn't know how effective it would be but I was about to find out. The creature immediately responded to being choked by thrashing around which wasn't pleasant due to this thing weighing as much as shopping cart full of wet sand. I pulled my chokehold as tight as I could. The creature swiped its claws wildly as it tried to strike flesh. Twelve seconds into the choke the creature lifted up a talon and seemed to ball its claws into a fist. It brought its arm down with considerable force into my midsection. Its elbow impacted my stomach harder than I had ever been hit before. I could help but to let go which the creature took as an opportunity to roll off of me and over a few times creating some distance between the two of us. I heard the thing gasping for the same air I did. I rolled over onto my stomach and looked around for my spear. It lay halfway between me and the creature. I dove for it but made it look as if I was charging the creature which jumped to its feet and backed up repositioning itself to defend. I grabbed my spear and looked the creature in the eyes. They looked almost gold in color and returned an equally fiery gaze. I’ve seen this thing before somewhere it just didn't ring any bells. It lifted up a clawed talon and flashed its claws in a seemingly threatening manner.
'Is it trying to intimidate me?'
I raised my spear trying to return the gesture. The suddenly the realization I've been looking for popped into my head.
'Griffon!'
Then I saw it.
A large dark shadow appeared behind the creature that could have only been a griffon. It came up from behind the griffon slowly and stepped into the light. It was massive, standing behind the griffon it was easily three times its size. It was a lion from the looks of first glance but then I noticed it had wings as it stepped out from the shadows of the trees it was hiding in. My jaw dropped and my stare went from the griffon to whatever the hell was standing behind it.
"What in god name..." was all I let out. The griffon seemed to notice the path of my gaze turned to face the new creature. I swear I saw the griffons white feathered face go pale. The griffon tried to bolt for it but a huge scorpion tail as thick as my body came down and struck the ground inches in front of its beak. When I saw that the tail was connected to the giant winged lion I almost crapped myself. The griffon tried to sidestep quickly to maneuver away but didn't see the massive paw come in from its blind spot. I heard a thump and saw the griffon fly straight over me clearing me by a foot. Its body was completely limp as it flew through the air right into a tree. A loud snap accompanied the collision. It fell to the ground from where it struck the tree to lay there motionless. I was frozen in fear.
"So this is how I die." I manage to say as the huge creature made its way towards me. I readied my spear which drew no reaction from the creature. I began to back up looking for a way out. My foot hit something soft. I looked behind me to see that I had backed into the body of the griffon which seemed to shrug a little from the contact. I looked back at the other creature which was lowering its head as it got closer. An idea struck, I slowly began to crouch lower and lower trying to look as little as a threat as possible. My spear was pointed right at the creatures face. I couldn't kill this thing even if I got a clear shot at its throat.
So I was going to do the next best thing. The lion thing's head lowered until it was only six feet away from me.
'Just a little closer.'
It sniffed me and leaned forward licking its lips.
'Now!'
I sprung to my feet lifting my spear with both hands thrusting it forward. I was showered in a small rain of blood as my spear sank into its target. The creature reared back sounding off with a deafening howl of pain. The spear now protruded from the creature's right eyes. The large creature turned around and ran blinded in one eye and full of rage and pain. It smacked into a tree and unable to see what it had run into it swung a massive paw. The ease by which the creature toppled the tree astounded me.
'If that had been me-' I stopped that thought instantly. The large creature stumbled over the tree and dashed into the forest crushing everything its size or smaller until it was out of view. I pulled in a deep breath realizing I hadn't taken a breath since I had last spoke. I leaned over resting with my hands on my knees. I heard something moving behind me so I turned around to see the griffon. It lay where it landed with its eyes open and looking directly at me. I was going to die if I didn't eat soon so I figured the sooner I got this over with the sooner I could move on to something less urgent to my survival. I slowly walked toward the griffon trying to see if it had anymore fight in it. It just laid there trying to move its legs which moved little by little but not enough to accomplish anything. I walked up to it unable to break eye contact. It looked like it stared into my soul which I suppose came from facing inevitable death. I didn't have my spear anymore and somewhere in this pleasant little Hell laid my knife. I wasn't going to wait for the griffon to die but I didn't want to kill it bare handed. The thought of doing so made me feel a little sick inside. A large rock was planted in the ground besides me. I reached down and pulled as hard as I could. It came out of the ground on the first try. It was about the size of a football but heavy enough to work. I reached the griffon and looked at it for a moment. I lifted the rock above my head hating the fact I was about to kill something that only existed in myths and legends.
'I’m sorry.' I thought.
"Do it."
I stopped.
"What are you waiting for?" it was the griffon. It was... speaking. I stepped back lowering then dropping the rock and covering my mouth with a hand.
"No." was the only thing I could think to say, "No, no, no, no! You can’t talk! That’s impossible!"
"What are you talking about?" spoke the griffon with a distinct female voice.
"What the hell are you?!" I shouted pointing at the griffon.
"Breakfast for some ugly looking troll apparently." the griffon retorted, "Are you going to finish this?"
I was speechless. I was talking to a griffon. I didn't know what to say or even ask.
"You got lucky dude but if I get back up you won’t be."
I had a brief moment of mental instability and burst out laughing.
"What’s so funny?!" the griffon spat.
"Well for starters I’m talking to a griffon... who's talking back." I proclaimed still laughing before continuing "Oh then there was that thing back there that would have and SHOULD HAVE killed both of us. So forgive me if I’m offending you."
"YOU TRIED TO KILL ME!" the griffon yelled managing to raise its head.
"Whoa whoa whoa! Hold up! You were stalking me though the forest and you thought I was trying to kill you?!" I laughed harder.
"You're in my territory!" the griffon spat.
"Then I'm gonna guess that big ass death machine that just tried to eat us was too and I don't remember seeing you do anything about it!"
My stomach was in an indescribable amount of pain from hunger, being impaled by lightning, clotheslined by a griffon wing, crushed, and being elbowed. Laughing was suddenly a chore so I stopped.
"Either kill me or get lost troll but spare me your presence." The griffon said with hatred burning in its eyes.
I walked back over to the griffon and knelt beside it.
"Can you get up?" I asked. The griffin responded by pushing its talons into the ground and began to rise to its feet slowly. The griffon tried to do something with its wings before letting out a loud caw and collapsing back to the ground.
"You okay?" I asked. The griffon didn't answer. It turned its head with tears in its eyes to look at its wing.
I scooted closer.
"Let me help you up." I said reaching for the griffon.
"Get away from me!" the griffon screeched. I retracted my reach just a little.
"It’s not enough torture for you to try and kill me, get my wing broken, then mock me? Then you all of the sudden you want to help?! What’s your game troll?" the griffon’s eyes were full of searing hatred and pain.
"Listen I believe this is all a huge misunderstanding and if you let me help you then we can get the hell outta here before that huge ball of happy comes back here looking for an eye doctor." all I got back was that same continuous stare.
"Listen I'm hungry as hell and tired so either help me help you or start plucking your feathers."
No response. I held my hand out to the griffon that just kept staring.
'That’s it.'
"Three. Two. On-"
The griffon reached out a claw and grabbed my hand. I pulled leaning my weight back and the griffon managed to prop its legs underneath it and stand. I let go of the talon and turned to inspect its wing.
"What do you think you're doing troll?" the griffon snapped.
"I used to have a pet bird." I replied, "It decided to fly into the ceiling fan one day. Took three weeks for its wing to heal."
"I’m no pet bird!"
"Looks like you're going to need a whole ton of bandages for this. I’ve never seen wings this big."
The griffon turned its head away. If I didn't know any better I’d of guessed it was blushing.
"Please tell me you have a place to stay?" I asked. The griffon looked at me for a moment.
"There’s a cave by the lake. Half hours walk."
"Let’s go then." I said
“I don't want you near my place troll."
"I’m not a freaking troll!"
"You're right. Trolls aren't that ugly."
I laughed what could I say, she got me.
"Just lead the way princess."