• Published 19th Jan 2012
  • 2,187 Views, 42 Comments

Wings - Ancient



A guy far from home, a bitchy griffon, and a whole lot of things that want them both dead

  • ...
2
 42
 2,187

Chapter 2

I felt as if I was falling and standing at the same time. I’m not sure why but the sensation was rather enjoyable before I realized what was happening. I swear my eyes were open but all I saw was black. Had I gone blind? That strange bright light earlier hadn't hurt my eyes yet it left me with the feeling it had something to do with why I couldn't see anything.
"Did it work?" a new voice said.
"Who's there?!" I said
"I’m not sure." it was that first voice again.
I spun around or at least I thought I did still unable to see anything but darkness.
"Hey!" I shouted, "What in the hell i-"
"Did you feel that?" the first voice cut me off. Whoever it was their hearing sucked. I was getting extremely agitated.
"Feel what?" the second voice asked.
"I’m going to try and provoke a response."
"Are you certain that’s a good idea?"
"What’s the worst that could happen?"
"... Fine. But be careful"
"For the love of god! Will someone help me?" I shouted. A strange feeling of warmth washed over my back. I turned to face the source of this. I saw for a brief second a little bolt of what looked like purple electricity before disappearing. I waited a few seconds in confusion as another bolt struck the ground close to me.
"What the hell?!" I shouted.
"I think I have something!" the first voice said sounding excited.
"I swear when I get out of this I'm g-" a flash of light accompanied the purple lightning manifesting out of nothing.
It struck me right dead center in the chest. I yelled, less pain driven than surprise though the force of the energy striking me did make me stumble back. I instinctively tried to catch my balance while reaching towards where I was struck. I was afraid to look down to look for a wound for fear of how bad the worst case scenario would play out from a first person perspective. My hands were tingling causing me to look down at them.
I couldn't believe my eyes.
My hands were grabbing the stream of electricity that had struck and impaled me. The bolt of purplish lightning was going into my chest but what was stranger than that was that it didn't injure me. Through the coursing stream of electricity I could see that where it had struck my hoodie a hole was burned. I didn't feel any pain from the lightning that was seemingly going through me.
"I've got something!" that damned first voice again. I felt a strong tug from the lightning. It was pulling me. I looked up forgetting the wound when I saw a bright light that was at the other end of the stream of lightning. I was being pulled towards it. I pulled at the lightning trying to pry it from my chest as it pulled me towards some unknown fate.
"No!" I yelled yanking the lightning back. I heard a scream.
"What’s happening?" shouted the second voice.
"It’s fighting back! I don't know what we have!" replied the first voice.
I turned pulling the lightning with me. It yanked harder knocking me on my back. I was being dragged across nothing towards what looked like what I imagined heaven would look like from outside its gates. I quickly rolled onto my stomach and thrust all my weight into a push forward. The lackadaisical stream of lightning that had me hooked was pulled tight and began to produce loud sparks as I fought to get away from that light.
"I’m losing control!" the first voice yelled, "Help!"
"Hold on!"
I heard a loud crack from behind and stopped to turn. What I turned to face was an even larger stream of lightning alongside the first. It swerved and spun with a form like a giant serpent. It unlike the first stream of lightning was what looked to me like a dark blue I spun once more and tried my best to run. The purple lightning was still hooked in me. I hadn't even questioned how I was not dead yet if this was real. The more I tugged and the further I had gotten from the lightning the less I could feel it holding me back. I was now running at full sprint feeling completely unhindered. I could hear the cracking of the lightning and turned my head a little.
"Shi-" was all I managed to yell before the large stream of lightning had shot towards me. I was paralyzed as it struck me in the gut. Without hesitation it began to pull me back towards the light.
"Maintain the door!"
"I can’t! It’s too much!"
The light which had spawned the two streams of lightning was growing dimmer. But the blue lightning pulled hard and dragged me towards the light.
"Hurry!"
I managed to move an arm just a little. I made an effort to grab the lightning still not fully understanding how I could do that in the first place. This phenomenon was defiantly under the control of something. Whatever it was actively trying to capture me. The light was close and got only closer despite my best efforts to claw at nothingness to gain
"Don't break your concentration!"
The voice was louder than it had ever been and I pinpointed its source.
It was the light!
I turned to face the brightness I was being aggressively pulled toward and saw something in it. I focused on the light and saw movement inside of it.
"Hold it! I think I see something!"
With one more violent tug I was pulled into the light. I shut my eyes deciding that if this was my death I'd rather reflect on moments in my life before I died. For some strange reason I opened my eyes again and found myself looking into another pair of eyes wide open with what I could only assume was fear. The eyes belonged to a purple face of... something. The sudden sight had caught me off guard like everything else that was going on. I yelled in surprise causing the purple thing to back up yelling in surprise in response. Sparks erupted everywhere and before I knew it I couldn't see... again. Everything started shaking.
"I'm losing control!"
"Focus!"
"I can't!"
I yelled as I suddenly felt as If I had just been launched by a catapult.
"Shit! Shit! Shit! Shit!" was all I could say as I flew through whatever space surrounded me.