• Published 6th Jan 2013
  • 1,552 Views, 20 Comments

Cadence Unbridled (Sections 1 & 2) - Flikaline



Cadence's young teenage life after she arrived in Canterlot after the suspicious death of her mother.

  • ...
3
 20
 1,552

Fleur de Knot : Part 1

Fleur de Knot : Part 1

Cadence turned her head to see Shining Armor returning with ice creams for them both. He sat down next to her on the grass and smiled. She smiled back. They had wanted to go elsewhere that day but after Celestia had heard about the events of Hearts & Hooves Day, she had wanted Cadence to remain closer to home for a while.

‘Are you alright, Cadence?’ Shining Armor asked as they were eating their ice creams, noticing that Cadence was a little tensed up.

‘I’m just a little worried,’ Cadence admitted, ‘I haven’t seen Lis all day and she was supposed to meet me this morning . . .’

‘What was that about Fleur?’ came the voice of Steamer, who had been hiding behind a tree.

‘Were you two spying on us?’ Shining Armor asked.

‘How did you know I was here?’ said Joe.

‘Because these days, wherever Steamer is, you are, Joe,’ Cadence told him.

‘Fair point,’ Joe responded, ‘now what were you saying about Fleur?’

‘I haven’t seen her all day,’ said Cadence, ‘have you?’

Joe and Steamer shook their heads, looking a little embarrassed.

‘You don’t have a crush on Fleur de Lis too, do you, Joe?’ Shining Armor asked.

‘Only a very slight one,’ Joe admitted, ‘don’t worry, Steamer,’ he added, ‘I don’t want to go out with her or anything.’

Steamer looked a little relieved and smiled at his best friend. Shining Armor suddenly thought of something.

‘Cadence,’ said Shining Armor, ‘did you check your room thoroughly, and have you been there since this morning? There’s a possibility Fleur left a note for you.’

‘I never thought of that,’ Cadence told him, feeling guilty that her slight worry was interrupting their date.

‘Would you like to go and have a look?’ Shining Armor inquired. Cadence hesitated, feeling more guilty.

‘I’m sorry,’ Cadence said, ‘but I would. I can’t get rid of this worry, I’m really sorry.’

‘Don’t apologize, Cadence,’ Shining Armor replied, ‘there’s no point being on a date if you’re worrying.’

Cadence smiled at him before noticing he had ice cream around his mouth. She quickly summoned one of the napkins that had come with the ice creams and wiped his mouth for him. Shining Armor smiled awkwardly.

Once they had finished, they quickly headed for Cadence’s room, followed by Steamer and Joe who were keen to know what had happened to Fleur de Lis.

‘Why were you spying on us anyway?’ Shining Armor asked the two colts.

‘Well, we were discussing about dates,’ Joe explained, ‘and we realized we didn’t know the first thing about going out with a filly.’

‘Which would be a bit of a problem,’ Steamer continued, ‘if we ever did get fillyfriends. We thought watching you two might give us some hints.’ Cadence laughed pleasantly.

‘Did it occur to you that we don’t have much idea either?’ Cadence asked them with a smile.

*

Shining Armor and Cadence walked into her room, the other two waited outside, anxious for news of Fleur de Lis. Cadence’s room wasn’t as tidy as it could have been. The bedspread was rather ruffled and several things were lying on the floor.

On the dressing-table, in front of the mirror, were a few things from Hearts & Hooves Day including her necklace, and, next to the mirror, was a vase of flowers which Shining Armor had picked for her earlier in the day. But on the dressing-table was also a note which had a large hair bow partly on it, partly next to it.

Cadence began to read the note.

Dear Princess Cadence,

I come as a friend to tell you that your friend, Fleur de Lis, is being held captive by some creatures and that you must rescue her immediately. Who knows what will befall her if you don’t.

Cadence stared at the note, which was signed with the letters ‘RM’, and had directions written beneath the main part of it, and stared at the very pale pink hair bow which she now recognized as belonging to Fleur de Lis.

‘I have to go,’ Cadence told Shining Armor, ‘Lis’s like a sister to me. I can’t just leave her! Will you help me sneak out, Shining Armor? I’m sorry I ruined our date . . .’

Shining Armor had doubts that Cadence would be able to leave anypony that was in trouble.

‘It’s not your fault, Cadence,’ Shining Armor told her, ‘how about I take you out to dinner this evening once we’ve rescued Fleur?’

‘That would be wonderful,’ Cadence answered in a slightly dreamy tone, ‘but, what do you mean, ‘we’? Are you coming too?’

‘Of course I am,’ Shining Armor responded, ‘who’s going to protect you from those creatures who are holding Fleur hostage if I don’t?’

‘Thank you, Shining Armor,’ Cadence said, rubbing her face against his side.

*

The two of them had managed to sneak out of Canterlot undetected, accompanied by Joe and Steamer, who, after hearing what had happened, wanted to come along too, and, as they had pointed out, the note hadn’t specified how many creatures there were; there could be loads of them.

Besides, if it was noticed that Cadence was no longer in Canterlot, Joe and Steamer would be among the first asked. Cadence felt very guilty about going against her aunt’s orders but this was very important and the note had specifically said to come immediately.

*

‘We must be nearly there,’ Cadence told the colts, ‘there are no more directions.’

They had recently past Neighagra Falls.

‘What is that stench?’ Joe asked, ‘it’s horrible!’

‘I’ve never smelt anything like it,’ Steamer commented, ‘or seen anything like it for that matter.’

There were no leaves on the trees even though it wasn’t winter or fall, and the leaves on the ground which were whole were a dark shade of purple, the others were skeleton leaves. Many of the tress looked withered and shriveled; the grass was patches of yellow and brown. Small trickles of water came out of the ground in a few places but it was a greeny brown color. As they walked on, they found green flames coming out of the ground but they were just standing there and not spreading at all. They didn’t dare touch them to found out if it was actually real fire or not. The sound of water in the distance was fading now. Cadence looked around nervously.

‘Don’t worry, Cadence,’ came Shining Armor’s reassuring tone, ‘everything will be alright.’ Cadence tried to smile.

Within a few moments, a cave like entrance was in view. Cadence swallowed, and led the way towards it through an eerie silence. All they could hear were their hooves slowly moving forward, and a slight breeze which sounded like the mournful whispers of twenty nine ponies.

Once they had walked through the entrance, they were constantly on the lookout for danger, but, at least, for the moment, there was not a creature in sight. It was noticeable, however, that they were heading downwards; most of the settlement must be underground. They stopped. There were three tunnels ahead of them, each looking more unpleasant than the last.

‘Right,’ said Cadence, sounding braver than she felt, ‘we’ll split up. Shining Armor, you take one; Steamer and Joe, take the next; and I’ll take the third.’

‘In the Royal Guard,’ Shining Armor told them, ‘they taught us how to light our horns up in union. Once one unicorn puts out their light, those of the others will go out too. We could use this technique to tell each other if we find Fleur or run into trouble.’

The other three nodded.

‘Steamer and Joe,’ Shining Armor continued, ‘you take that tunnel, Cadence, take that one, and I’ll take this one.’

*

It felt like she had been walking for ages. Cadence knew that Shining Armor had given her the safest looking tunnel but that didn’t stop her feeling rather nervous. She would be glad when they had found Fleur de Lis and could get out of this horrible place. Was that blood on the wall? She tried to ignore it, and increased her speed to a trot.

She turned a corner to find the next part of the tunnel covered in, what looked like, giant spider webs.

‘Oh, no!’ came a voice from above. Cadence looked up.

‘Lis! You’re okay!’ Cadence cried, running in her direction, and putting out her horn.

‘Watch out for Arachne’s webs!’ shouted Fleur de Lis who was stuck to one of the webs.

‘Who’s Arachne?’ Cadence asked.

‘Never mind now!’ said Fleur de Lis hurriedly and urgently, ‘Cadence! You have to go! Now! Hurry! This whole thing’s a trap! I was only brought here in the first place because I was mistaken for you! Raven Mocker, the one who left you the note, he’s the leader of these mutated creatures! He wants to trap you, keep you here forever! These creatures, they feed off love, it’s what makes them powerful. That’s all I know about their species without the mutations. That’s why he wants you! There was some kind of magical explosion which mutated them. But Cadence, you must leave now!’

‘I’m not leaving without you!’ Cadence replied, ‘whatever you say!’

‘You must!’ came Fleur de Lis’s desperate tone, ‘They’re expecting you! Raven Mocker and his henchmares will be back any moment!’

‘We’re already back,’ came the slippery tone of Raven Mocker from a small platform some distance above. Two other creatures were emerging from the other side of the corridor.

‘Run, Cadence, run!’ Fleur de Lis yelled, but Cadence was too scared to move.

Raven Mocker flew down from his little platform, his raven-like wings spread wide, dodging the webs with ease, and landed behind Cadence who quickly turned, backed away, and stared at the black pony-like creature that stood before her: his muzzle, mane and tail were blood red; his legs, mane, tail and horn (which was long and curved) were full of holes; his ears were unusually pointed; he was quite a bit older and bigger than she was too.

‘What do you think of the place, princess?’ Raven Mocker asked casually, giving a grin which showed his pearly white teeth, two of which were particularly fang-like.

‘It’s absolutely horrible,’ Cadence retorted, ‘Let my friend go this instant! Why . . . why are you looking at me like that . . ?’ she inquired nervously, noticing that Raven Mocker was encircling her and looking at her in a very odd manner. Cadence suddenly felt very vulnerable.

‘It’s just,’ Raven Mocker began with a nasty smile, his small, yellow eyes glittering, ‘no-pony told me you were so . . . attractive . . .’

‘Don’t you dare lay a hoof on her!’ Fleur de Lis shouted, ‘or when I get down . . !’

‘You mean, if you get down!’ came a voice which belonged to Arachne.

‘Allow me to introduce my henchmares,’ Raven Mocker continued as if nothing had happened, ‘This is Arachne, and this is Lamia.’

Cadence turned her head to see the other two mutated creatures walking towards her.

‘You weren’t thinking of going somewhere, princess?’ Lamia hissed, her forked tongue sticking out slightly.

‘Should I tie her up, your majesty?’ Arachne asked with a small smile.

‘No, Arachne,’ Raven Mocker replied, ‘let’s see if she’ll co-operate first . . .’

‘What do you want from me!’ Cadence demanded, trying to keep the fear out of her voice.

‘Oh, just a few things,’ said Raven Mocker casually, while continuing to look at her. Cadence glared at him. ‘I just want you to stay here forever, provide us with power via your special talent, and, of course, become my queen.’

Cadence was both horrified and disgusted.

‘I’d rather die!’ Cadence snarled.

‘That can be arranged, my dear,’ Raven Mocker sneered, ‘but I have no doubt that you will change your mind. They all do in the end . . .’

‘I’ll be the first then!’ Cadence snapped. Arachne and Lamia laughed. ‘And I’m not your anything!’

‘That will soon change,’ Raven Mocker replied, moving closer to Cadence.

Fleur de Lis desperately tried to free herself.

‘Come now, sweetheart,’ Raven Mocker continued, ‘I’m not that bad, am I?’

‘You’re repulsive!’ Cadence retorted.

‘Repulsive, am I?’ Raven Mocker responded, stroking her cheek and mane; Cadence tried to move away, but Arachne and Lamia held her down. ‘Well as repulsive as you think I am, if you don’t agree to the conditions,’ Raven Mocker said silkily, ‘you can say goodbye to your friend.’

‘Don’t agree, Cadence!’ Fleur de Lis told her, ‘save yourself!’’

Cadence felt sick.

‘There’s no point in resisting in any case, sweetheart,’ Raven Mocker continued softly, ‘I always win, I always get my way, I away get what I want . . .’

‘Quit touching me, you creep!’ Cadence muttered defiantly. Raven Mocker ignored her.

‘You’re such a pretty little thing . . .’ Raven Mocker said half to himself, pulling her closer to him.

‘Get off me this instant!’ Cadence yelled in a frightened and furious tone, ‘let me go!’

‘GET YOUR HORRIBLE HOOVES OFF MY FILLY!’

‘Shining Armor!’ Cadence cried joyfully, ‘it’s you!’

The three colts raced over. Steamer and Joe attacked Arachne and Lamia while Shining Armor attacked Raven Mocker with all the strength he had.

‘Run, Cadence!’ Shining Armor shouted as he defended himself and released Fleur de Lis, using magic, who landed on Steamer, at the same time.

‘Don’t let her get away!’ Raven Mocker yelled to Arachne and Lamia.

Lamia, who was free, because Steamer had stopped fighting her and was momentarily occupied, blocked Cadence’s path.

‘Going somewhere, princess?’ Lamia sneered.

‘Yes I am!’ said Cadence angrily, ‘past you!’

Lamia tried to grab her. Cadence only just avoided her grasp. Shining Armor rushed over to Cadence.

‘Are you alright?’ Shining Armor asked. Cadence nodded shakily.

The other three were together. They decided to all group together at the far wall. They only realized moments before that there were large holes in front of it. They tried to stop, they crashed into each other, they crashed into the wall, they fell through the holes, moments before the hour struck.