• Published 6th Jan 2013
  • 732 Views, 29 Comments

Expiration Date - FireFly2100



What do you do when you know something you're not supposed to know. Or when one of the most fundamental aspects of life is completely removed, and then replaced by something that should never exist. What would anypony do? Well I tried to fix it.

  • ...
1
 29
 732

Awakening

Uugghh. I hate waking up in the mornings. This is something I have never told anyone, not even those closest to me, as they expect me to be eager about each day. A new adventure at hoof. You know, Carpe Diem and all that. But, in all honesty, I prefer sleep. At least in my dreams I can do whatever I want, and without having a headache. Oh sweet baby Luna, where did this headache come from? What happened last night. Oh wait. That's right. The lights, the laughing, that giddy euphoric sensation. Getting stoned.

All in all, your average Pinkie Pie party. Minus the getting stoned part. I still can't believe that Mrs. Cake thought it would be funny to spike the cupcakes. But as it turns out, she used to be a wildcard back in her glory days, just before she met Mr. Cake. I also can't believe that she thought it would be a good idea to do that to Pinkie of all ponies. I thought she was about to explode, especially when her Pinkie Sense misfired and she swelled up like a balloon. I expect that if she had, the room would have been coated in confetti and streamers. But on top of it all, Applejack had brought her strongest cider. And to say I 'took it easy' would be very wrong.

Well back to the matter at hoof. Waking up. The lavender mare struggled to reorganize her thoughts, or at the very least, get them off of last night's party. She slowly crawled out of bed and stood up. Or, at least, she tried to stand up. As soon as her hooves came in contact with the ground, her knees buckled under her, causing her head to collide with the cold, hard, oohhh so hard, wood floor of the library. This did two things. First was only to intensify her already mind numbingly painful headache. Second was to cause a shrill cry to pierce the air. She wasn't too sure, but it might have been her. As soon as her mind was able to refocus, she heard little footsteps running towards her door.

“Twilight, are you okay?” Came the worried, and loud, voice of her number one assistant.

“I'm fine Spike.” Twilight groaned in response. In hindsight, she was glad Applejack wasn't there, as she probably would have bucked her straight in the face for the use of such a blatant lie. And then Twilight would have returned the favor for the cider from the night before. “I just tripped and hit my head. Don't worry.”

“Are you sure? I could bring you some ice if you want.” Twilight smiled somewhat at the display of kindness and caring he showed towards her. Or, at least she tried, though it ended up as more of a grimace.

“That would be amazing Spike. Thank you. While you're at it, could you bring me a cup of coffee? I have a feeling that I'm going to need it today.”

“Sure thing. Be right back!” Twilight winced once more at the volume of his voice as she heard him walking down the stairs towards the kitchen. In the meantime, it sounded like a really good idea to just lay there on the floor. While unwelcoming at first, for obvious reasons, the coolness of it felt wonderful now. She sighed, relaxed, and just lay there for a minute before deciding to finally get up.

As she headed over to her mirror to brush her mane and tail, she almost hit the floor for a second time. The sight that greeted her eyes would give anypony a heart attack. As long as that pony was named Rarity, anyway. Her mane and tail looked worse than when she had been through the Patented Rainblow Dry. She sighed once more before grabbing her brush in her magic and getting to work sorting out what was quite possibly the worst case of bed hair in history. She made a mental note to look that up at one point. It would be amazing if she could get her name in another book.

Just as she was finishing up, she heard Spike on his way back up. “It's about time you got back,” she called out to him.

“Hey, at least the coffee is fresh,” he said in an attempt to defend himself as the door opened. She continued to brush her hair as Spike came in behind her. Just then, she heard the sound of shattering glass, and, for the second time today, she was in pain as scalding hot coffee coated her back left leg.

“OWW!!! SPIKE! What did you do that for?” She quickly used her magic to get the coffee off, but she was pretty sure that she was going to have at least a second degree burn from that. Keeping her hurt leg off the ground, she turned to face the guilty party. Spike stood there with a mixture of fear and confusion showing on his face. “Spike, I'm not that mad at you. You're looking at me like I'm a timberwolf about to eat you.”

Spike just continued to stare. Twilight could see the gears in his head spin as he tried to figure something out. Right as she was about to ask, he started to speak. “T-T-Twilight.” The fear was evident in his shaky voice. Twilight was starting to worry now. What could possibly have the little dragon so worked up? The she noticed he was pointing. At her. “Twilight,” Spike began again, “y-your cutie mark. It. It's.” He couldn't bring him self to continue, and by now Twilight was so curious as to what it was about her cutie mark that had him acting this way. As she turned to investigate, she felt nervous. A cutie mark was one of the most important aspects in a pony's life. If something had happened to hers...

That thought was stopped dead in its tracks as her eyes were greeted with the sight that sent Spike into a panic. Her cutie mark was gone. And it seems the second recurring theme of the day would be the floor. The ground rushed up to meet her, only this time she was out cold when she landed.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

When Twilight woke up, she noticed two things immediately. The first was that she was in her bed with an icepack on her head and another on her burned leg. The second thing she noticed was that there was a Pinkie Pie standing over her. And she looked ready to burst. However, as soon as she opened her mouth to speak, Twilight used her magic to quickly close it and seal it with a zipper. This made Pinkie sag down some as she gave Twilight her best puppy-dog eyes. The pink mare looked to be on the verge of tears, and Twilight immediately regretted acting so quickly and harshly. So she did her best to explain to Pinkie why she had done so in the kindest voice she could manage. Only, it came out as more of a raspy whisper. “Pinkie Pie, please keep the volume down some. I currently have the worst headache I can ever remember. Sorry for the zipper, but I think I would have done something a lot worse if I let you continue.”

Pinkie could only manage a slight nod, but it was enough for Twilight to take the zipper off. What the pink pony said next was surprisingly quiet, much to the pleasure of a thankful Twilight. “Sorry Twilight. I didn't know. And don't worry, I'll do my best to keep it down. Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.” With that, the now unnaturally calm Pinkie backed off of Twilight and settled down at the foot of the bed. It was then that she noticed her other four friends, all giving her shocked and mildly angry looks. The only other unicorn in the room was the first to work past it. She shook her head, then stepped forward.

“Well, that matter aside, how are you feeling dear? Spike informed us that you took the news, shall we say, poorly.” Rarity came up to Twilight and put a comforting hoof on her own. Twilight took a moment to think of how to describe how she was feeling without worrying her friends too much. After much thought, she figured out a way to describe it.

“Well, you already know about the headache, and my leg kind of hurts from the hot coffee-”

“That's not what I meant Twilight,” Rarity interrupted. “How are you feeling about, you know, the, um, the – well, the thing.” She finished, a little unsure of her own wording. That's when Twilight remembered what caused her to pass out in the first place, and she felt a growing sense of nausea and disorientation. Then she noticed something. Her friends cutie marks were all gone as well. And not only that, but in there place were numbers. She took that chance to study her own flank, where one of the most important things in her life used to be. As she looked, a feeling of dizziness started to overwhelm her. She did her best to swallow it down and carried on.

In place of the stars that used to adorn her side, she now saw numbers. And it was apparent to her friends that she was just now making this connection, as they all visibly saddened as they both were forced to remember what happened to them, and as they watched one of their best friends discover it herself. They prepared themselves for a barrage of questions from a worried purple unicorn. What happened next, though, no one saw coming. Twilight just turned her head around and buried her face in her pillow. Just when her friends thought she might have passed out again, they were met with the sound of light crying.

Pinkie was the first to act. She crawled up next to Twilight from her position at the foot of the bed and held her in the most comforting hug she could give. The crying was replaced with a slight choking sound for a few seconds before it intensified. It was then that all of her friends joined in on the hug, some of them crying themselves. They just stayed that way for a while, six best friends drawing strength from the love for one another, as they shared in the moment of great loss and confusion.

Author's Note:

I hope you all enjoy this chapter as I put a lot of effort into it. Well, effort in not being sad anyway. I mean, I knew that reading sad stories could hit you, but it's no different when writing them. Actually, it is. It's a lot worse because you kind of feel guilty. You think to yourself "I'm doing this to them. Why am I doing this to them? What kind of monster am I?" It's going to get worse at times as well, so prepare yourselves. And again, feel free to point out any grammatical or spelling mistakes you notice. I will fix them as soon as possible. Oh, how nice it must be to have an editor. Oh well!

Comments ( 14 )

Never mind then! Really just had to get something up. Sorry. This is more for my own satisfaction then for your enjoyment (getting something up before I said I would) because I was having a hard time waiting until Friday. I Pinkie Promise that I will wait until Friday for the next one though. And now I actually have to, because I am being watched after making that promise. :pinkiecrazy:

It seemed a little short, but maybe that's just me. Pinkie promise that the next chapter will be longer? :pinkiesad2:

I'd be willing to serve as your editor, though only if that's okay with you, that is. While I'm at it, here's a couple of things you might want to fix really quickly:

“That would be amazing Spike. Thank you. While you're at it, could you bring me a cup of coffee. I have a feeling that I'm going to need it today.”

Needs a question mark after 'coffee.'

As long as that pony was named Rarity, anyway. Her mane and tale looked worse than when she had been through the Rainblow Dry.

'Tale' should be 'tail' and 'Rainblow Dry' should be 'rain blow dry.' :rainbowhuh:

“Hey, at least the coffee is fresh!” He said in an attempt to defend himself as the door opened.

Not an obvious spelling/grammar issue, but you might want to change 'He said in an attempt to defend himself as the door opened' to 'Spike tried to defend himself as he opened the door,' or something to that effect. It just reads oddly, or maybe it's me.

Loving the story, so far!

Numbers... Title is Expiration Date... Hmm... Logic points to one thing... Not going to say it though.

Anyways, great story, can't wait for more! Take my star!

1923893

I don't even know where tale came from. So let us agree to never speak of this again.:duck:

1924560

One of the many things Shakespeare used in his works was dramatic irony. This is when the audience knows something that the characters do not. So the whole time the characters are doing something, or trying to figure something out, the audience is screaming "NO!" or "DON'T OPEN THE DOOR, THE MURDERER IS ON THE OTHER SIDE" at them, but the characters don't listen. It is one of my favorite literary tools.:twilightsmile:

1925470

Not what I was pointing out. This isn't ironic. Yet.

Irony is still one of the greatest tools of the world. The others are sarcasm, overconfidence and a small screwdriver. With these tools in your arsenal, nothing can stop you.

1925539

You know, I didn't realize it until lit class today (since we are going over Shakespeare stuff) that my plans for this story feel somewhat Shakespearean. I'm not going to say in what way, just that they do. To me, at least. Others might not see it the same way.

1927152 So we're gonna get some mistaken identity and star-cross'd lovers? Or does Luna get to use the 'Royal Canterlot Voice?'

And yes, we shall never speak of 'tale' again. Pinkie promise. CROSS MY HEART HOPE TO FLY STICK A CUPCAKE IN MY EYE. :pinkiecrazy:

EDIT: Caught ya. Again.

The fear was evident in his shaky voice. Twilight was starting to worry now. What could possibly have the little dragon so worked up. The she noticed he was pointing. At her.

'What could possibly have the little dragon so worked up' needs a question mark. :P

1927430

I don't like you...

JUST KIDDING!!! Thank you very much. It is difficult to catch your own mistakes. I have personally read this thing over close to ten times, but I know the words and what it is that I have written, so I don't need to analyze each sentence on such a critical level in order to derive the implied meaning from it. You, the reader, do. This is the critical difference. I can read someone's fic and notice every little mistake, but when it comes to my own, I only notice 80% of them. (And yes, I got rid of that many mistakes on my many read throughs) But this means that it is up to my readers to help me make it 20% more mistake free. :rainbowderp: And I apologize for the use of such a cliche saying, I just can't help myself sometimes...

1927472

Well, I tend to sort of half-skim read. I read most of the words very quickly and fill in the gaps. Occasionally I miss out on story details, but usually it works. I don't tend to pick out mistakes however, unless they're glaringly obvious.

1927873

And this is why he is pointing out the mistakes and you are enjoying the story (I hope). Not to say he isn't, you just don't carry the burden of noticing the mistakes.

1929293

Yep. I am gladly unburdened by mistakes, and am enjoying this story. Also, on a semi-unrelated note, no-one's called me out on my slight reference.

Irony is still one of the greatest tools of the world. The others are sarcasm, overconfidence and a small screwdriver.

1929504

I can't say I recognize the reference, but if I had to guess, Dr. Who maybe. Wouldn't really know, just hear fans of the show mentioning screw drivers at times.

UPDATE: Work and school had me bogged down this week, so an update may be a few days late. :derpytongue2: :facehoof:

On a completely related side note, I would like to see what you all prefer. And by that I mean that I have come up with three options:

Option 1- Continue putting out stories on a once a week basis, varying in length between 1-5k words.

Option 2- Continue putting out stories, but only once every two weeks. Stories will be closer to 5k words each time, possibly better story development due to me having more time to put thought into it.

Option 3- Take off between a few weeks and a month to get ahead on the writing process. I will then revert to one of the aforementioned options. This will allow for unforeseen complications such as the ones I have faced this week to pass by without causing problems. It will also allow for better story development due to me having more time to put more thought in.

I will make the ultimate decision, but I would like the input of anyone who cares enough to give input on this situation. This will help me make the decision that I stick with in the end. You have until Wednesday January 16, 2013 to give input. After that, the polls are closed, and my mind is made up.

Login or register to comment