• Published 6th Jan 2013
  • 813 Views, 12 Comments

Battle Scars - DisHarmonize



Lying on his death bed wondering why the world never wanted him to be happy, at every attempt he would make resulted in devistation, now trying to fit in with everyone else has landed him here, but before his final breath he hears a slight whisper...

  • ...
8
 12
 813

Prologue

As I slowly regain consciousness, bright light was pouring into my right eye and as the doctor shines the light in my left eye I see nothing, and from the perspective of sight that I have, it seems that I've gone blind in my left eye. I close my eyes as the doctors' presence leaves my senses and I reminisce on the events of the days before. Though at this time I cannot remember, it comes to my attention that all my movements hurt and my skin feels tight in some places, then my memory slowly starts piecing itself back together....

The Darkest Day

During my late childhood, happiness was something I never experienced, my life was beaten to a pulp and cowering in the corner, my heart ripped to shreds, and my mind branded with horror. That horror being my parents, saving me from an oncoming car as it lost control, pinning them both against a building. I was allowed to live on my own because of the fact that my parents lived by a police man who said he would watch over me until I graduate high school. But, since then I've been lonely and with none of my relatives wanting to take me in, I'm having to tough it through life and what high school brings...

This particular day was one that I won't soon forget, other than from being in a medically induced coma for about a week.

Waking up to an empty house has been normal for me for the past 5 years, the first light of day had not yet struck the sky, I look out the window and look up at the sky remembering my parents and how they loved to look at the stars with me. The moon was still out, tonight it was a crescent shedding a very dim light over my small neighborhood, it looked so peaceful and I wish it would last. Too bad it was a Monday and I had to go to school and try to survive another day of emotional beatings.

I walk through the light layer of snow, hearing the crunching of it beneath my feet, on my to school which was just a few blocks away. When I get about two blocks away from my house, I hear the squealing of tires and I see the accident scene play in my head.

I was ten at the time, my parents and I were going shopping after Christmas so I could buy something with the money my parents gave me.(my other relatives had never sent me anything before, they flat out just didn't like me)As we were heading for another store, we had to walk near a busy street going in front of the small strip mall, the plows had not yet been by, the reason being was that it was still snowing. The roads were slick and some dumb ass teenager wanting to show off in his big pick-up was revving his engine in the parking lot. The only thing I heard was the squealing of his tires as my parents throw me out of the way, then a blood curdling scream that could wake the dead.

Then, snapping back to reality, as I hear the tires squeal a yell can be heard, "You better run ya little freak before you end up like mommy and daddy.", one of the three shouts. The truck changes gears and is racing towards me, I only have a few moments to think, in my frantic thoughts I start running but I can hear the truck gaining on me. On quick thinking I dash into the trees parallel to the road just before the moment of impact would have arrived. I see the truck drive off in the direction of the school, wails of laughter pouring out the open windows.

I walk up to school taking a deep breath before entering hoping things will turn around just for a day, but it couldn't have ended worse.

Walking into the last class of the day and am surprisingly greeted by a...a girl and she seems as though she actually wants to talk to....me!

"Hi, my name is Katie. I'm new in this class and someone in here told me that you were a very interesting person."

By the way she looked she was very attractive but used too much makeup and her clothing looked as though you could almost see right through it. I hear a bit of laughter from the back of the room, its the same guys from the truck this morning, I could have guessed. So they are now trying to humiliate me in front of everyone, so be it, might as well try to have a little fun.

"So sorry to disappoint but ever since my parents died I wasn't left with much money so I think your $20/hour is a tiny bit out of my budget."

The look on her face and the silent stares from the guys in the back was all I needed to find the courage to walk around Katie and find my seat. The shifting of chairs behind me got me to turn my head a little and I can see that all three of them are walking up to me, one with hands clenched in tight fists.

"That's my girlfriend you were just talking to, smart ass", he exclaims.

In my false sense of bravado I try and think of a smart ass come back, so I say, "And your selling her out to people already, such a waste of beauty."

BAM!!! A strong left hook jabs me in the side of the head leaving a ringing in my ear.

"I have had enough of you over the past few years, freaks like you just aren't people. You are always talking to yourself, you wear the same ratty clothes, you are an embarrassment to yourself if you don't put yourself out of your misery then I will.", he said.

The words stung and left me wide eyed and I sat there wondering what in the hell did I get myself into this time.

I walk inside the door to my house, still empty. My footsteps echo up the staircase as I walk over to the couch occasionally stepping on a squeaky floor board. I turn on the TV to find a deafening static, cables out, so instead I do the homework that was assigned for today. When I'm finished I look at the clock its 8:30 p.m so I decided to get to bed early after a long day.

In my sleep I can hear voices coming from outside but, I don't wake up, the voices are muffled and I can't make out what they are saying so I fall into a deeper sleep and return to my dream. Then my deep slumber was interrupted once again this time I can hear a crackling noise, and again I don't pay any attention to it and fall again into a deep sleep. In an instant my dream is filled with smoke, I cough as I open my eyes, they are instantly filled with the fumes, all around me is fire. There are no windows in my room so the only way out is through the front door, all the way downstairs. I start to panic knowing that there is no way in hell that this will end well. I get out of bed and slowly skirt around the fire trying not to get burned and failing at doing so. I begin to cough again from the smoke, then I hear a crash come from downstairs, something fell, as I look around at the ceiling everything seems unstable. I start to walk faster while still being cautious. I hear a loud crack come from the ceiling above me, I look up just in time to see a wooden support beam come loose, I try and dive out of the way but, midway through the dive it had caught my legs. The searing pain of my flesh being burned away was agonizing, I try and turn to get the beam off I manage to get one leg out before and antique mirror falls from the attic, shattering on its way down, the shards of glass slicing through my skin and one sticking out of my left eye. I pass out from the blood loss and shear pain.

I sit up in my hospital bed, wincing at the pain, to check out the damages. With my limited sight it is hard to inspect myself all at once, but it appears that my right leg had to be amputated from the burning beam, most likely burning through my flesh and exposing bone, I also realize that I am very short of breath and I'm not sure as to why. I lie back down and hold up my right arm, then my left, they both have burn marks and cuts all over, I can hardly move them the skin is so tight. Moving this much and being in so much pain mad me tired so I closed my eyes and rested. I hear the doctor speaking to someone I do not know and I over hear some of their conversation.

"So doctor, how is your patient doing?", asked the man.

"Well, the news is grim and if he ever wakes up it will be hard to tell him. His wounds are just too severe, we were able to amputate but, it doesn't seem that we got all the infection so he may die a slow and painful death from that alone. Either that or all the smoke he inhaled may be causing his lungs to shut down from being coated in it."

I open my eyes with a start and start to panic. Am I really going to die? In my panic I start to choke on my own breath, and my coughing draws the doctors attention.

"Ah so you are wake, I have some news to tell you that I'm sure you will not like.", said the doctor.

"I alr- *cough* already heard you explain it to that man *cough* out there.", as I point to the man standing in the doorway.

"Oh, well in that case are you comfortable?", asked the doctor.

"Yes, I am thank you", I say.

"Well then, I shall be back to check in with you in a few hours, just push this button if you need anything.", he said pointing to a red button on my bed.

I nod, he walks out and the man with him follows.

As I lay in the bed I try to think about what has just happened but while thinking of this I wasn't realizing that my breaths were becoming slightly more shallow. In mid thought I hear a voice call my name."Gavin, Gavin my son you have not yet found what every human soul searches for, happiness, your whole life I have been watching you suffer through life and now you are about to die unfairly without ever being happy. So I shall put you in a place where happiness is everywhere." After the voice is gone only then do I realize that my heart monitor is now just a long beep and my breathing has stopped, I.....I've died. But I can still see everything, then all of a sudden I'm beginning to float upwards towards a light that is shining down on me, the everything goes bright, and as the I regain the sense of color in the only eye i can see out of I feel wind underneath me, I look down only to realize that I'm falling.

I look down at my hands which are starting to tingle and the feeling soon spreads up my arms as they are being transformed. Within seconds my hands are gone and replaced with........hooves??? My feet are undergoing the same transformation into hooves. As this sensation moves up my body and into my back I am noticing that I now have fur, it is a dark grey color, but when I look closer I notice that there are some patches without fur, in its place there are scars. I hear the voice again.

"Those scars were on your heart, they were formed from sadness, each an empty chasm causing a void to form within you. A scar will go away only when you find happiness to fill each void, the last one will disappear when your biggest void is filled and then your soul will be set free."

"What is my biggest void and how do I find happiness.", I question the disembodied voice.

"That is for you to find out for yourself, my child"

My transformation continues as I fall, getting closer and closer to the ground. I feel things slowly start to appear on my back and I am able to move them, I look back to see....wings!

"I should be safe, now that I can fly I wont crash into the ground," I say to myself. As I unfold my wings to try and stop falling, a burst of pain comes from where my wings would be, just a guess considering I've never had wings. Sure enough as I look back they are torn to shreds and appear to be broken. "Well that's just great.", I say with false enthusiasm.

Finally the tingling makes it up to my neck and head and I start to see my hair, well because I'm a horse of some kind now I guess it would be called a mane. When it comes into view I can see that it hangs down off to the right of my eye and is jagged and has two different colors, an electric blue and dark red, seems to fit me, I guess, my tail is the same color, its a shorter bushy tail. I also seem to have a pounding headache, I reach up with my hoof to feel a bump in the middle of my forehead that is growing, a horn soon emerges then shatters to dust leaving a jagged stump. Then finally my transformation is complete after my mouth stretches into a muzzle. Then all of a sudden the sides of my ass start to tingle and an image appears on what are now my "flanks". The image is of what appears to be a bleeding rose in front of a broken heart. Thinking about this, it really describes what happened when I was alive, maybe someone will be compassionate in this new world.

Looking down with hope in mind, I brace for impact, as I make contact with the ground dirt flies everywhere as my momentum digs a crater easily five times my size. I lay there motionless, along side the ruble in a daze. A few minutes pass and I struggle to get up from my hard landing. With dirt in my fur and mane I look terrible, and the scars don't make it any better, to me I look like a monster. Then I hear something above me towards the edge of the crater then a voice,"Are you okay down there?"

Turning my head in pain, I see a grey mare with long blonde hair, her yellow eyes are bright and full of joy, I couldn't help it, I smiled.

Author's Note:

This is my first story I hope you enjoy. More chapters will be coming out soon, I am open to constructive criticism, anything to improve future works.
I'm going to need some help coming up with a name for the main character, I will give credit where credit is due to the person whose idea I choose.