• Published 3rd Jan 2013
  • 7,869 Views, 309 Comments

My Iron Warriors: Ordinance is Magic - Perturabo

  • ...
30
 309
 7,869

Run CMC

“Come on, spill it Applebloom!” Scootaloo’s voice was harsh and echoed somewhat in the tight confines of the clubhouse, but was filled with as much curiosity as anger.

“Yeah, spill it!” Sweetie Belle heard herself chorus. She knew her voice was cracking, but this was more important right now. The two Crusaders faced Applebloom across the table, but the yellow filly was holding her ground admirably.

“Ah know this looks a maht perculiar.” She reassured them, for what must have been the tenth time today. “And ah’m as surprahsed as y’all are. But don’t this just prove mah point that Zuko ain’t a bad gah?”

They’d dragged Applebloom back to the clubhouse the moment school had ended. After the Iron Warrior had presented her with her diary and taken his leave, the rest of the day had been pretty normal-if incredibly awkward for the Crusaders. Sweetie Belle didn’t feel any remorse about defending her friends from the suspicious glares and incessant questioning of their classmates, but inside she had as many fears and queries as they did. From her actions, it was clear that Scootaloo felt the same. The Pegasus stood from her seat, slamming a frustrated hoof into the table. Taking a breath, she calmed slightly.

“…I guess it was pretty cool of him to go and get it for you.” Scoot admitted. “Even if he had to break into Diamond Tiara’s house to find it.”

“Wait, he broke in? But I thought he said he’d just picked it up?” Sweetie Belle squeaked. She was aware of the weary glances the other two gave her, but couldn’t fathom why.

“Ah don’t think he was being 100% honest there, Sweetie Belle.” Applebloom said as graciously as she could. Sweetie was still perplexed.

“Huh…talk about a coincidence.” The unicorn muttered. “Having your house broken into AND falling down the stairs.”

“I don’t think THAT was an accident, either.” Scootaloo said with a roll of her eyes. Sweetie Belle looked at her blankly for a moment, before understanding kicked in. She gasped, eyes widening and hooves covering her mouth.

“That’s terrible!”

“Oh, y’all know that she’d do it to us.” Applebloom cut in hurridly, seeminglye ager to change the subject. “Tha’ point is, he still did somethin’ real nice, and ah’ve got the perfect way to say thanks.”

“And what’s that?” Scootaloo asked warily. Applebloom smiled, waving her friends over conspiratorially. Sweetie Belle complied. The Earth Pony whispered to Scootaloo first, then Sweetie. The white Unicorn recoiled, stunned, but Scootaloo spoke first.

“You really think he’ll want to?” she asked, her disbelief plain. “I mean, from what you’ve said I get that he wanted to help you stop Diamond Tiara taking all the credit for your project, but that’s still a bit…well, extreme.”

“Of course he’ll want tah.” Applebloom said, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. “He said none of ‘em have their Cutie Marks. It’s tah perfect way tah say thank yah, and they might start bein’ nahcer to everypony if we be nahce to them.”

“Rarity said the wizard told her they don’t have Cutie Marks.” Sweetie Belle whimpered, in a small scared voice. “She said that their super strong and stuff because they were made that way.”

“Well then that’s even better!” Applebloom insisted. “They’re already made tah be good at something, maybe he’ll know how tah make us find our special talents!”

“I don’t think it works that way-“ Sweetie began, but she trailed off as Applebloom gave her a pleading look. The unicorn still wasn’t convinced. She didn’t hate the Iron Warriors as a lot of the grown-ups seemed to, but they did frighten her. She’d only really been in close proximity with the subject of their current debate, the two who’d been at Pinkie Pie’s-she still had the occasional nightmare about the one with the machine instead of an eye-and the wizard who got on with Rarity and sometimes came to visit. He was nice enough, and talked to Sweetie in an easy, friendly manner, but he was still quite scary and she could never manage to look at him or say more than the occasional squeak before galloping off. They weren’t even the worst-the huge one with the freaky face creeped her out, or the angry shaky guy both seemed who seemed to always want to hurt somepony.

Applebloom looked from Scootaloo to Sweetie Belle for some kind of purchase, the smile slowly dropping from her face as she realised there was none to be found. Defeated for the moment, she adopted a new strategy.

“Scootaloo, didn’t you say yourself when we were in Canterlot that maybe the only reason they’re so scary is because they’re scared and alone themselves.” The filly demanded, sticking her bottom lip out. Unprepared for this new scrutiny, Scootaloo backed away slightly.

“Well, yeah, but…”

“And didn’t he save our lives from that mean ole’ Changeling?” That was a general question, and Sweetie felt the guilt settle in her gut as she considered it. That was true…the Iron Warrior had pulled them out of a sticky situation.

Seeing she was gaining momentum, Applebloom pressed on. “Think about it. If we had him on our side, and could prove he weren’t a bad gah, then maybe us Ponyfolk and them can start working together! And besides, think how useful they’d have been whilst we were crusadin’ in the past?”

“Like how?” Scootaloo asked, generally curious.

“Lahk…” Applebloom pondered for a moment, rubbing her chin. “Lahk when Babs first got here and we had that whole misunderstandin’!”
***
“Babs may have run us out of town.” Applebloom groaned, dejectedly, trudging side by side with her fellow crusaders. “But at least we still have the club…house?”

The fillies’ hopes and protests died in their throats as they looked up to see Babs leaning nonchalantly on the railing outside their treehouse. The Manehattanite looked down at them with a cruel smile.

“Hey!” She shouted, pointing an accusing hoof as if they were in the wrong. “Whatare you doing at my Clubhouse?”

It was too much for Scootaloo. “Y-y-YOUR Clubhouse?!” she squealed, hovering a few metres in the air as her tiny wings beat in fury. “This is OUR Clubhouse!” she insisted, landing.

“Well it was yours,” Babs corrected, smiling again and rolling her eyes. “And now, it’s mine.”

“And mine.” Silver Spoon said, appearing seemingly from thin air.

“And mine.” Echoed Diamond Tiara.

Before the Crusaders could respond, a metallic, gravelly voice cut through the woodland. “No. It’s mine.”

Six pairs of eyes rested on the Space Marine as he emerged into the clearing. The optics on Zuko’s helmet burned their familiar red, but he had shed the Power fist and Pistol in place of a huge, gargoyle-mouthed missile launcher. Ammunition was stacked in a chute leading up from the top, and the body was covered in yellow and black stripes.

Ignoring the slack-jawed gapes from the Crusaders, Zuko dropped to a knee, sighting down the crosshairs of the missile launcher. Babs squinted down for a moment, unsure what the alien was doing. When she did realise it was far too late.

The Iron Warrior depressed the trigger, sending a missile rocketing from the daemon mouth and straight at the treehouse. Black smoke bellowed from its rear as it twirled in mid-air, but it didn’t have far to fly. It smashed into the side of the lovingly-restored clubhouse, exploding with an almighty roar. Fire began to spread to nearby trees as the flimsy wooden building was utterly blasted apart, along with any who’d been next to it.

Applebloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle could only stand, mouths still hanging open like idiots, as bits of Babs, slivers of Silver Spoon and dollops of Diamond Tiara rained down around them, along with flaming timbers and sprays of blood. Zuko stood back up, lowering his weapon and seeming to ignore the film of red liquid that now covered his silver plate. Turning, he looked down at the three girls, as if only noticing them for the first time.

“What?” he asked.
***
Sweetie Belle stood in silence for a moment as the image faded from her mind, before shuddering slightly. From the similar reactions of her friends, she guessed they were all thinking along the same lines.

“Okay…so maybe that wasn’t the best example.” Applebloom said, slowly.

“I’ll say.” Scoot mumbled.

“But,” The earth pony put in quickly. “Ah still think it’d be a swell think tah do for a gah who’s helped us all out in the past.”

“I still don’t know Applebloom.” Sweetie Belle said apologetically. “Even if the Iron Warriors are o-“

“He has a name.” Applebloom said. Sweetie Belle was taken aback by the choler in her friend’s voice, and it took a moment to collect herself.

“Even if Zuko is on our side, he’s still kind of dangerous.”

“Only if we do somethin’ stupid, which we won’t. And besahds, look at it lahk this-all that stuff we’re not allowed to trah ‘cus it’s ‘too dangerous’? Well with Zuko around, there’s no way ponies like Applejack can say that we ain’t safe!”

It didn’t make sense to Sweetie Belle, but Scootaloo seemed to take to the idea. She hovered in the air excitedly.

“Yeah! We could go into places like the Everfree forest whenever we wanted, and it’d be totally safe with him around.” Applebloom smiled, seeing she had the advantage. Sweetie Belle watched her trot round to their side of the table, standing between the other two crusaders.

“You know Sweetie Belle, we’d need to make a ‘special order’ for him tah do this.” Applebloom said. Again, Sweetie Belle was lost for a moment, until her eyes came to rest on the red fabric hanging from a ‘borrowed’ coatrack. Instantly she brightened, all thoughts of scary aliens gone.

“You’re right! I could design a whole new cape! And when Rarity sees it, it’ll probably be great for business too if the others all want one!”

Applebloom grinned, pleased to have got Sweetie on board. She turned her attention to Scootaloo, who still seemed to waver slightly. “And Scootaloo,” she began, somberly resting a hoof on the Peagsus’ shoulder. “Havent’cha always wanted tah have a big brother?”

Scootaloo eyed her suspiciously for a moment, but it was clear AB had her. She nodded uncharacteristically shyly. Applebloom retracted her hoof, resting them both on the table. “So it’s settled then.” She placed an arm round Sweetie and Scootaloo’s shoulders, dragging them closer.

“Now here’s what we’re gonna do…”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“And then I said, ‘Oatmeal, are you crazy?’”

The story’s conclusion was met with silence, but Pinkie didn’t seem to mind. The truth was they’d all heard it before…several times, but Twilight suspected that it was more Pinkie’s tendency to perhaps talk without thinking first more than any conscious desire that caused her to repeat it. At the very least they smiled back with her; all except Rainbow Dash, who rolled her eyes with a groan and tried to get comfortable.

“Well, I for one am just glad that all you girls were able to make it.” The lilac unicorn said. “With…everything that’s been going on, we’ve hardly been able to see each other.”

“Oh think nothing of it, darling.” Rarity said, sipping delicately at her cocktail. Fluttershy drank something similar beside her; she didn’t say anything, but smiled earnestly and nodded.

“Wha, jus’ because there’s some mighty strange goings-on ‘round these parts don’t mean we need ta’ stop being friends!” Applejack added. She’d already gone through two bottles of Apple Juice, and was now moving onto the cider.

“Although do we have to have these get-togethers inside?” Rainbow complained, still fidgeting on her cushions. “A cloud would be way comfier.”

The sun was shining and they’d considered getting a table outside, but the heat had been heavy and constant the whole week and it was starting to sap a lot of Ponies’ energy. When they’d found out the restaurant was air conditioned, the girls had practically sprinted inside-even Dash. Twilight’s library was stuffy at the best of times, and combined with general stress the rising temperatures meant that sleep had been scarce, fleeting and disturbed.

“Oh you’re all very kind, but I’m serious.” Twilight said mournfully. “here I am writing all these lessons to Princess Celestia about friendship, and I neglect my five best friends!” she chuckled at the end, but the point was there.

“Don’t be ridiculous Twi.” Applejack said reassuringly. “You ain’t abandoned nobody. It’s not lahk you could’ve know that all this was going tah happen.”

But I should have a little voice said inside Twilight’s head. With all my studying and mapping the sky, I should have. By Celestia, I’ll never be caught off guard again. She thought these things, but didn’t say them. Her smile was as warm as any, touched by her friend’s kind words.

“Yeah! I mean, these last few months have been so wacko, that even I’VE been struggling to keep up! I mean, I had three birthdays, two cutecinceras, a wedding, and a ton of other stuff ato organise, plus getting the Cakes’ entry for the Canterlot bakeoff ready, which looks really super-duper scrumptious, almost as scrumptious as the MMM although I hope that it’s not to scrumptious that what happened last time happens again and-hey, that’s a great idea, we should totally have a Ponyville party!” Pinkie Pie certainly sounded as enthusiastic as ever.

“A party sounds wonderful, Pinkie dear.” Rarity said. “Plus, it couldn’t have come at a better time, I have some new designs that I’ve just been DYING to show off. Oh, that reminds me.” She turned to Fluttershy. “Fluttershy, darling, I know it’s your birthday soon, so I’ve been working on a brand new dress that I just know you’re going to love. I’ve just been so excited I can’t wait to show it you, would you like to come to Carousel Boutique after lunch and pick it up?”

The smile slowly died on Fluttershy’s face, and she turned away a little. Twilight, as well as all the others, looked at her quizzically.

“What’s wrong?” Rarity asked, easily the most upset. “Do you not want a new dress?”

“Oh, I do, and I’m sure it’s wonderful Rarity.” The yellow Pegasus said. It was one of the first times she’d spoken since arriving, Twilight considered. “It’s just…”

“It’s just what?”

“It’s just, I don’t…”

“You don’t what? You don’t like it?”

“No, it’s that, I don’t…” Fluttershy took a deep breath. “I don’t have anywhere to put it.”

Rarity looked at her lopsidedly for a moment. “Come again?”

“I don’t have a wardrobe.” Her voice was barely above a whisper. The ponies looked at one another in confusion, unsure what exactly she meant. It was Twilight that figured it out.

“They didn’t build you one, did they.” It wasn’t a question, but Fluttershy gave a shallow nod anyway. Instantly the mood around table grew more hostile. Pinkie, in particular, affected a worryingly cold expression.

“Good heavens!” Rarity gasped. “You mean you have…nowhere to put your clothes at all?”

“Well, um.” Fluttershy began, reddening even more. “The thing is…I kind of don’t have anything to wear. They destroyed it all.”

To her credit, Rarity didn’t faint, but she didn’t turn an ever paler white. Rainbow slammed her hooves on the table. “Those jerks.” She snarled, nostrils flaring. “Did they leave you with anything?” Fluttershy shook her head. Twilight took It upon herself to be the calm one.

“Fluttershy, I thought you were going to go and talk to them about getting your cottage back.” She said. Fluttershy looked at her, but seemed to draw more in on herself.

“Oh, well, I was, but it was nice of them to build the house for me and I didn’t want to disturb them-“

“Disturb but nothin’.” Applejack said. “It’s your home, and they was the ones who messed it up in tah first place. Yah need furnishings, not cannons-good gravy girl, they’ve built yer a bloomin’ deathtrap!”


More angry discussion broke out, with Pinkie Pie espousing the virtues of various kinds of ostracision. For a moment Twilight felt close to a breakdown, powerless against the rapid deterioration of order, when suddenly she remembered. Reaching into the saddlebag shed slung under the table, the unicorn produced seven slips of glittering gold. An expectant hush fell over the element bearers.

“Are those…what I think they are?” Rarity asked, eyes lighting up now she’d recovered. Twlight nodded, brerathing an internal sigh of relief now crisis had been averted.

“Yep, seven tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala.”

“But ain’t that like, next week?” Applejack asked. “How’d ya get them tickets on such short notice?”

“Well, being Princess Celestia’s personal student does have some advantages.” Twilight answered with a chuckle and a blush. It wasn’t the most modest thing to do, but she knew her friends wouldn’t mind.

“Yeah, that’s great Twi, but…” Rainbow Dash ooked around a little awkwardly. “Are you sure we’ll be allowed back after…last time?”

The others seemed to consider this for a moment-none of them needed to be reminded of that escapade. Twilight shook her head, seeking to dispel their fears.

“Whilst I agree that we maybe weren’t on our best behaviour last time, the Princess saysthat it’ll be a lot less formal this year.” She said. “I just thought it’d be nice to…get away from it all for a night.”

It was hard to argue with that. Twilight dished 5 of the tickets out, keeping one for herself. “and of course, one for you Sp-Spike?”

The little dragon’s seat was empty.

Twilight cursed herself for not keeping a closer eye on him, and his silence had seemed a little odd, but she’d been so caught up in seeing her friends again she’d almost forgot about him. Panic began to sink in as she looked around desperately for any sign of him; there was none. The others joined in as soon as they realised what was wrong. It was Fluttershy who provided answers after a minute of fruitless searching. She screamed, pointing out a window. Twilight ran to look. There, sat on a low wall across the street. And next to him was…was one of…

“Spike!” She yelled, bolting for the door. The others followed hot on her heel, Applejack and Pinkie Pie running-running, not hopping in the latter’s case-alongside Twi. They skidded to a halt in front of the dragon and the alien, Twilight’s horn lighting up with the familiar purple magical aura.

“Oh, hey Twilight!” The baby dragon said cheerily.

Twilight stopped, only now appreciating the full strangeness of the scene before her. Spike sat as he often did, feet dangling slightly off the ground, licking away eagerly at an ice cream. The Iron Warrior next to him was by contrast hunched over and with his sword resting across his lap, somehow looking miserable even through a helmet. He too held the bottom half of an ice cream between a thumb and forefinger, but the actual cream portion had fallen out and was now a messy pink blob by his feet.

“It was hot, so I went out for ice cream.” Spike explained. “This guy flagged it down so I got one for him as well.” Twilight looked at him stunned, and then up at the Space Marine. He said nothing, although it was clear he didn’t want to be here. She was just about to chide Spike for running off when Rainbow Dashspoke up.

“Oh, great.” She scowled. “It’s you.”

The Iron Warrior studied her momentarily, before sheathing his sword with a twirl. Twilight only got a small glimpse of the eye symbol built into the hilt. He sighed, folding his arms.

“This, I assume, is the part where you accuse me of ruining your oh-so-very vital training.”

“And fer chasin’ Lyra.” Applejack added, recognising him as well. The Iron Warrior turned his attention towards the farmer, but she maintained eye contact.

“You lassoed me.” His hands began to twitch and spasm, but at that moment Spike hopped off the wall and moved to stand between the two parties.

“Hey guys, let’s just cool it. I’m sure Rorke didn’t mean anything by all that.”

‘Rorke’, Twilight assumed, was this one’s name. She didn’t really know most of them by name, only their look; this was the one who shook a lot. The unicorn was fairly certain he had meant something, but the Iron Warrior was quicker.

“If it makes you feel any better, I didn’t go out of my way to annoy you specifically. Being a Chaos Space Marine doesn’t make me a petty bastard.”

Rainbow, of course, rose to his bait. “Oh yeah? Sure didn’t look that way to me.”

“No.” Rorke clarified. “Being a petty bastard makes me a petty bastard.”

“Language.” Rarity mumbled. Twilight only just heard it standing beside her, but Rorke’s head instantly swivelled towards her. It surprised, and more than a little intrigued Twilight.

“Sorry.” He said in a tone that made it clear he was anything but. “I usually leave the sarcasm to Zuko. And spending as much time with the witch as you do would desensitise anyone.” His head tilted to the side as he spotted something. He leaned closer, seeming to focus on the golden ticket that hovered besides rarity. He pointed. “The fuck is that?”

The last thing Twilight needed was for the Iron Warriors to become aware of Equestrian traditions, and she was about to make an excuse to leave when once again Spike took it upon himself to speak up. “Oh that? That’s a ticket to the Grand Galloping Gala. It’s like, the biggest party in all of Equestria, and it’s hosted every year at Canterlot castle. We went last year, but things got a bit out of control. Did we get more tickets Twi? Did I get one?”

“Yes. You did.” She said flatly, wondering how best to discipline her surrogate little brother for this. Rorke sat quietly for a moment. “Grand…galloping…gala.” He said no more, but Twilight was sure she heard him snicker quietly. Spike finished of his ice cream, walking over to stand with the ponies and blissfully unaware of the looks they were giving him.

“Well, I’m sure this has been very nice, but Spike really needs to be going now.” Twilight said, forcing a smile as she pulled the dragon away. Spike looked confused, but accepted it.

“Oh…okay.” He waved. “Bye Rorke! I’ll come and see you for more war stories some time!” The Iron Warrior was silent as Twilight marched Spike away even quicker. The elements began to march back to the restaurant, although all their appetites had been spoiled by now. Rorke didn’t move, but as she walked away Twilight was sure she heard him mumble “Grand Galloping Gala...”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He wanted to run, or fight back, but he knew that he couldn’t. They’d lured him into their trap and now he had to face the consequences.

It was a day after the whole escapade at the school they came for him; Applebloom and the white one, who he now identified as Sweetie Belle. It wasn’t like they’d come for him alone. Barbus had been with him, taking the opportunity to train their swordplay in the open air, but the arrival of the juvenile Ponies had seen the other Iron Warrior off with nothing more than a mocking clap on Zuko’s shoulder. Truth be told being by himself with and having to play nice to them d made Zuko uneasy, but he’d born it with the same bitter tenacity all his Legion would have. They had been pleasant enough, although Sweetie Belle was clearly terrified, and had asked him to come and have a look at ‘making their tree house a cool fort like you did Fluttershy’s”. Zuko, of course, hadn’t actually worked on the cottage-although asking Lorkhan to come along would have been inviting trouble-but they’d been ordered to make themselves useful, and truth be told his professional curiosity had been piqued by the challenge. That’s how they’d lured him in.

Credit to the Ponies; they’d realised even before he arrived that he wouldn’t fit inside their shack, and so had relocated everything they’d need outside. Sweetie Belle, who had disappeared halfway through the walk and now sported a red cape, stood atop a podium clutching a long role of paper. She just about reached his chest. The orange one-Scootaloo-also wore a cape, and solemnly stood to attention astride a set of bongo drums that were almost as big as she was. Applebloom had had the full force of Zuko’s questioning gaze directed upon her, but had borne it stoically, and now donned her own cape as she stood beside the podium. Zuko faced the three small horses, unsure whether to laugh or prepare for battle.

Just as the silence was growing too awkward to bear, Scootaloo began to beat a staccato rhythm on the drums. Her facial expression never changed from stern neutrality, and combined with the steady beat it could almost have been ominous. After a few moments however she let loose, face cracking in a smile as she beat the drums with wild abandon.

When the percussion had ceased, Sweetie belle took a moment to steady herself, cleared her throat, and begun to read from her scroll.

“We, the Cutie Mark Crusaders, elect Iron Warrior Zuko to join us as a sis-“

She caught herself as the words began to escape her throat, Applebloom’s worried expression saying enough. Smiling widely, she wiped the sweat from her brow and continued, trying her best to ignore Zuko’s red glare.

Brother, friend, confidante, ally, bosom buddy, guy pal, compadre, chum-of-chums…” she took the paper aside for a moment, looking down at the winged pony. “Scootaloo, I thought you were going to revise this?”

“I’ll get round to it.” Scootaloo mumbled, blushing. Sweetie Belle groaned before continuing.

“Homeboy, amigo…well, you get the picture…oh, and fellow Cutie Mark Crusader! You are solemnly sworn in here this day, in witness of your fellow sisters, friends, confidantes, bosom buddies…”

In a desperate attempt to stop her in her track, Applebloom reached into the folds of her cape, producing confetti seemingly from the ether. Sweetie Belle took the hint, striking a pose with the other two as the confetti landed on the ground in front of Zuko. The Iron Warrior’s only response was to watch for several, long minutes.

“This is a joke, right?” he asked eventually. The smiles died on the Crusaders faces, as Applebloom slowly approached him. “Ah thought you’d want ta join?” she said, utterly confused. “And besahds, it’s our way of saying thank yah for helping me with getting’ mah dahry back!”

Thank you. She’s said that to me three times now. Truly we live in an age of wonder.

“I’ve already told you, I didn’t do it for you.” The Astartes grumbled. “I did it for the Legion. Which, even if I did want to join, would have my head if I joined some Xenos cult.”

“It’s not a cult.” Sweetie Belle insisted. “It’s a consortium. “

“Whatever it is, thanks, but no thanks.” Zuko clarified. Deciding to help one of them was a strain-he wouldn’t go joining them. He turned to leave, doing his best to block out their sad eyes.

“But yah can’t go!” Applebloom wailed. “Not after we had this ceremony, and made ya a cape an’ everything!”

He should have kept walking, escaped the trap. Yet Zuko stopped, turning to look at them. “You…what?”

Sweetie Belle reached behind the podium and produced a stack of neatly folded red fabric. Rushing over to him, she held it out before her, the ends trailing on the ground. His mind unable to stop his body from moving Zuko reached out and took the corners of the cloth in both hands, taking care that his power fist didn’t rip it.

It was, as they’d said, a cape in the same style of theirs. The deep red fabric was slightly darker than theirs, almost crimson-or the colour of blood, although he doubted they knew that-and had been extended for a being of his size. A lot of the work was quite crudely done; it was clear Sweetie Belle wasn’t used to working with this size, and had resorted to quite haphazardly stitching many smaller pieces of the fabric together with painfully obvious bright yellow thread. In a corner of the crusader’s cape was emblazoned what Zuko assumed was their emblem, a golden pony rearing against a shield of blue. Yet when he examined his, he found Sweetie Belle had attempted to sew his Legion symbol in place of her own. The helmeted skull was actually fairly well done, but small and rough around the edges. All in all it was work the Legion’s artificers, or even any mortal clothier, would have scoffed at.

But it was his. Not something he’d ripped from a slain enemy and claimed as loot. Not something he’d asked Lorkhan to cobble together in exchange for volunteering for an idiotic suicide mission. Not something belched out of the daemonic forges of the Warp. Something that was actually his and belonged to him alone, and was being given for no other reason than to appreciate what he had done.

Zuko looked at the cape, then down at the children. They looked up with tense expressions.

“Why?” The Chaos Marine said at last. Applebloom watched him for a moment as if he’d just asked whether the sky was blue before smiling and resting a tiny hoof on his lower leg.

“Because you’re mah friend.” She said.

The weight of the Imperial Fist helmet spiked on his power pack suddenly became very apparent to Zuko. He found he could recall the face of the warrior he’d taken it from; remember the look of hatred in his eyes, the loathing reserved only for traitors. If any of his brothers had seen this they’d have probably shot him on sight, and it would have been a mercy. And yet despite the protests of his Fourth legion brain, Zuko whipped the cape to lie across his back, tying it tight around his neck. It hung a few scant inches from the ground.

“This once.” He told them, the emotion in his voice unclear. “I wear it this once.” It was enough for the Crusaders. Sweetie Belle squealed din delight, clapping her hooves together, whilst Applebloom wrapped his leg in an embrace that didn’t quite reach around the limb. It was a conscious effort not to shake her off. The other two followed suit, Sweetie Belle hugging his other leg as Scootaloo beat her tiny wings furiously so as to hover and wrap herself around his power talon. Zuko stood there, allowing them their moment and working overdrive to contain ten thousand years of preconditioned clinical hatred and bitter anger.

At the edge of his perception, the champion could have sworn he heard Mordecai’s cultured laughter.

Author's Note:

Yes folks, it's finally happened. After ten thousand years of betrayal and war, Zuko's finally gone soft.

The idea of an Iron Warrior joining the CMCs, even if it was against his will, was too good not to include, and unfortunately for him it was Zuko who drew the short straw. This is partly just because of the way events have worked out, partly because he's one of the more mellow and level-headed of the Astartes (for an Iron Warrior at least), and partly because he's arguably the main character-despite being quite content to be the Warsmith's right hand man, which is the role I've always seen him in-and it's a nice way to end this little arc of three chapters concerning him, especially because we probably won't be seeing much of him for a while. Yes, I'm aware how badly I've mangled the fluff here, but I'm already halfway through this thing so we may as well push on. It's what Perturabo would do, after laying down the hurt with his hammer of course.

Although the middle section is the bit that feels most rickety, one thing I did like was the sort of bromance between Spike and Rorke. That wasn't intentional, and it goes against a lot of what we've seen before from the one who is perhaps the most typical Chaos Space Marine of the group, but besides Vortun (poor, poor Vortun ;_;) he's the one of the main 5 I think is the least defined, and it just seemed to come quite naturally. I know I've said before the the events of OiM take place roughly halfway through S3, and the Grand Galloping Gala is never mentioned, but...YOLO (I'm sorry, I'll never do that again).

Your regular service of bolter porn and spine-breaking will return in the not too distant future.