• Published 30th Dec 2012
  • 3,428 Views, 186 Comments

Heart Of Fire: You'll Be In My Heart - Melody Brush



A stallion helps, and falls in love with a changeling who experiences a huge change in her life for her love for him.

  • ...
6
 186
 3,428

Chapture II: Healing

CHAPTER II:

HEALING

Blazing looked out from behind a tree at the edge of the forest to see if anypony was around. The day was almost done, so activity in town was very slow. When he saw nopony around he went back behind the tree and crouched low enough to let the changeling climb on his back. Blazing felt bad seeing her in the condition she was in, but he knew that Zecora's herbs would help when he found the changeling in the forest.

The changeling climbed onto Blazing's back with a little bit of difficulty. When she was on his back he started flying toward the town. He stayed behind clouds, bushes and houses, making sure not to be seen or heard by anypony. After dodging a few ponies here and there as he made his way just past the library to his house. When he got to the front door he helped the changeling off his back, opened the door then helped her inside and closed the door behind him.

He flipped a switch to turn on the living room light. There were pictures all on the shelves and walls of Blazing and several other ponies, including Rainbow Dash and some of the wonderbolts. He walked beside the changeling, helping her to the large couch in the center of the room.

"Would you like anything to drink?" he asked. She looked at him with confusion. He then gave a sheepish smile. "I guess you don't eat or drink anything except for love energy."

"Why?" She asked. Confusion was now on his face.

"Because you’re a changeling, and changelings feed off of lo-"

"No," she interrupted, "why are you doing all this for me?"

"Oh, heh heh." He laughed as he scratched the back of his neck, his cheeks flushing a faint red. "Well, I was always taught you should never judge a book by its cover. I mean, take me for example. Most of the time, I go work out to keep myself strong and ready for a good flight, but on the inside I'm a big softy. I easily get emotional at things and I hate hurting other ponies and all that stuff."

"So, what does that have to do with me?" She asked. "I'm a changeling who attacked Canterlot to feed on love and I attacked you in the forest. What made you help me?"

Blazing looked at her for a second. "Because I looked past the cover and saw somepony who was hurt, sad and afraid."

"I'm not afraid of anything!" She snapped.

"Okay, you're not afraid of anything," he said as he raised his hooves up defensively, "but when you attacked me you were weak from your wounds. You needed my help" The anger in her face died down. After a minute Blazing gave a small smile. "Everypony, even changelings, deserves a second chance."

The changeling looked at the zebra striped stallion with a bit of shock. Blazing was willing to risk his own safety to save her. Any other pony would have ran and got help or attacked her on sight, but he didn't. He came back to help her, even after she chased him away.

Blazing got to his hooves and trotted over to the kitchen whistling as he went. She watched him vanish and heard the sound of water rushing for a few seconds. She got to her hooves and limped over to the kitchen. She saw Blazing standing by the stove with a kettle of water. He lit the stove and placed the kettle on the fire then he trotted over to a pantry and pulled out a box. He pulled out one of the bags from the box and started to put the box back when he noticed she was standing at the door.

"What are you making?" She asked.

Blazing looked at the bag, then back at her. "Hot chocolate." Blazing replied. The changeling looked at the bag in Blazing's hoof. She stared at it for a minute, then returned her gaze to him.

"Can you make some for me?" Blazing's eyes shot open in shock. Did she just ask him to make hot chocolate for her? He soon smiled, the very fact that she was opening up to him meant that his choice to help her may not have been the wrong choice. He nodded his head and pulled out a second bag.

The kettle on the stove started whistling, signaling the water was ready for the hot chocolate. Blazing grabbed two mugs from the cupboard and sat them on the table. He then opened the bags and poured the chocolate in the mugs then grabbed the kettle off the stove and poured the water in the mugs. He put the kettle back on the stove then gave one of the mugs to the changeling, who took it with difficulty. Blazing blew on his to help cool it down a bit, then took a sip.

She looked at her mug for a minute, the heat visibly rising from the hot liquid. She slowly moved the mug to her lips and took a small sip. Her eyes lit up then she took another, larger sip. "This is good!" She said. Blazing smiled at the sight.

After finishing their hot chocolate Blazing showed the changeling all the pictures in the room. Several of them were of him and Rainbow Dash side by side or in the sky racing. There were quite a few of him with a dark blue pegasus when they were young colts. She stopped when she saw a picture of a yellow mare unicorn standing right next Blazing. The two looked happy together.

"Who is that?" She asked. Blazing looked at the picture, his face filled with deep sorrow.

"That was Water Wait." He answered. "She was my best friend at the time." The changeling exchanged looks between the picture and him.

"You loved her." She stated. Blazing closed his eyes and nodded. "What happened to her?”

Blazing opened his eyes, which were starting to glitter with tears. "She was... she died almost five years ago." Tears started to fall down his cheek then he lowered his head. "I'd rather not talk about it." He walked away from the picture whimpering quietly. The changeling looked at the picture then back at him, his whimpering was now a soft sob. He turned back to face her, wiping away his tears. "See? I told you I was a big softy."

She looked at him for a minute then smiled at him. "Queen Chrysalis would have had a field day with you." She said. Blazing smiled sheepishly at the statement.

"Should I be concerned you said that?" He asked.

"Take it as a changeling compliment." She said, earning chuckle from Blazing.

"Hey, I just realized I don't know your name." He observed.

"My name?" She looked puzzled.

"Yeah, you know mine, but I don't know yours."

She looked to the ground. "The queen is really the only one with a name. Only a small number of changelings, like the high ranking ones, have names." She looked back up at him.

"Well, if you're going to stick around for a while you need a name." Blazing scratched his chin with a hoof as he looked at the ceiling. "What to call you?" He thought for several minutes, his mind going through name after name. His eyes shot open, a broad smile on his face. "I'll call you Cocoon."

"Cocoon?" She asked, arching what would be an eyebrow.

"Yeah, it works. Like your queen is Chrysalis, I'll call you Cocoon."

"No." She said stiffly.

"Then what do you want to be called?"

She looked back into the kitchen at the empty mugs sitting on the counter by the sink then back at him with a smile. "I like that hot chocolate you made me. Call me Chocolate."

Blazing smiled at the name. "Chocolate, huh?" She nodded. "Chocolate it is, then! Welcome to your new home Chocolate. Let me show you around." Blazing helped her up the stairs and showed her his room, which was the first door on the right at the top of the stairs. The next door on the left farther down the hall was the bathroom with a sink, bathtub fully equipped with a shower and everything needed with it. And at the end of the hall on the right was the guest bedroom. The bed was set up at the wall to the left of the door. There was a window on the opposite wall showing the library next door.

"And this is the guest room." He explained. "This is where you will sleep while your here." She looked at the room. She never slept in a room before. She limped her way to the bed, Blazing by her side. She sat down on the bed and bounced on it a few times, then looked up at Blazing.

"This is..." she started, looking back at the bed. "I like this. It's better then sleeping on the ground." Blazing smiled.

"Do you need me to get anything for you?" She looked at him.

"You have done more then enough for me already. I would just like to sleep now." Blazing looked out the window. The sun was still up, but he knew the change... Chocolate, had a hard time the past few days. And Zecora did say, she needed her rest. He looked back at her and smiled.

"Okay, I'll be down stairs for a while if you need any thing else." She just nodded as she gave out a big yawn, laying down on the bed with her head on the pillow. As soon as her head hit the pillow her eyes closed and she was fast asleep. Blazing quietly walked out and closed the door behind him. He walked down the stairs into the living room and he sat down on the couch, thinking about the past two days.

What started like any other day, ended up to be the beginning of a new life for him.