• Published 20th Jan 2013
  • 1,950 Views, 19 Comments

Love worth dying for - dartmaul15



There's only one thing worse than loosing somepony close to you, and that's to sit by their side knowing not even the strongest of magic can save them. Is this Rainbow Dash' fate; To se her marefriend Applejack die? Not is she were to

  • ...
7
 19
 1,950

Chapter 3. Farewell?

Love wort dying for.

By dartmaul15

Chapter 2

Farevell?

AKA: Last time together?

Rainbow woke up again to the sound of clacking hooves. She raised her head and looked towards the door out of pure instinct; half hoping the door would reveal an orange mare wearing a Stetson. Instead she was greeted by two unicorn stallions; both wearing what looked like a doctors’ coat and a clipboard.

She immediately fell back into the bed and released a groan of irritation. ‘Wishing for Applejack to just trot in here is just be absurd’. Yet she still hoped that it would happen; to have Jack appear with her signature Stetson on her head, the hair tied up like it used to be, and completely healed with no worries.

“Miss Rainbow Dash I may presume?” The voice cut her daydreaming short, and brought her back to reality.

The slightly befuddled mare looked at them for a second before uttering a worried “yes?” in reply.

“Don’t worry. It’s just a routine check to determine if we can allow you to move around on the hospital. It shouldn’t take long”. The first doctor, who apparently appeared to be the one in charge of the two, elevated the clipboard and the pen in front of him.

“Let’s get started then. Have you experienced any chest pains since you arrived here?” The doctor then levitated the clipboard even closer, and got the pen ready to write her answer.

Rainbow just wanted to assault them with questions regarding Applejack, but she decided it was best to just play along for now and wait for a better opportunity. “No”. The doctor then hastily scribbled something down, and seemingly moved on.

“Very well, next question; any problems moving your wings?”

She unfolded both wings, and flapped gently a few times to test them before giving a strong flap sending a gush of wind through the room, and hurling some dust to the very end of the room. She then folded her wings again and replied, “no, nothing wrong with them.” She was however unsure how much of it the unicorn heard with his nose more or less in the clipboard, and his pen dancing like mad.

However Rainbow Dash was gradually becoming more and more impatient, and decided it was time to ask the doctors about Applejack. “Where is applejack? How is she doing? Is she… alive?” Her voice cracked as she uttered the last words; memories came rushing back to her again and completely overwhelming her. ‘Please be alive, please.’

Despite her questions the doctors quickly scribbled down what appeared to be a few more notes before continuing on their schedule. “Any pains in your hooves Ms Rainbow Dash?”

Rainbow then removed her quilt, and unsurprisingly revealed that her hind hooves were also bandaged. She then proceeded to gently step out of her hospital bed, and one by one placed her hooves on the tiled floor. The first three went without problems, but the moment the third one hit the tile a weak jolt of pain rippled through her body, causing her to let out a small yelp as she winced slightly.

“Anything wrong Ms Dash?” Both of them looked at her with an examining look.

The light sky blue looked anxiously up at the two ponies. Should she tell them the truth and risk not getting to see AJ, or should she lie and say it was nothing? “It’s just a small pain, nothing serious”. She then took a few steps towards them, now with no physical reaction.

“Then that should be it” For the first time since they entered the room the doctors actually seemed to care for her. “Your wings appear to be perfectly fine, but we still want you to limit any flying to slow speeds.” The doctors now more or less glared at her, “and no stunts for a week.” They then proceeded with what appeared to be a summary of her medical condition. “It appears that all signs of trauma are gone, that’s good. You left hind leg seem a bit limp, but I don’t think it would be any problem if you are careful. Just try to use your wings if it gets too bad.”

“Does that mean… I can see Jack?” Rainbow hoped for the best, and her mind was practically begging for a yes.

“Yes you may.” The pony who appeared to be the assistant winked at her like he wanted her to follow. “I will lead the way.” Dash rapidly trotted after the pony as they headed further down the corridor; passing several doors before they stopped in front of one. “Here it is. Just call for me if there is anything you need.”

Rainbow dash simply nodded to him before she stepped towards the door. ‘What If she is dying? What if she blames me? No, she’s not that type... I hope.’ She then gently twisted the door knob and pushed the door open, hoping for the best. “Applejack?” The words were filled with doubt. She peeked in, and to her relief Applejack was there.

“Sugahcube?” Jack turned around and looked back at Rainbow dash. The fur on her chin was glistening from what appeared to be tears.

“Jack!” Rainbow Dash completely ignored the doctors recommendation, and ran towards her marefriend; embracing her for the first time since the accident. The farmpony quickly returned the embrace, holding her beloved marefriend close to her. While still holding around her marefriend Rainbow Dash moved her head slightly, and looked into her eyes; those green eyes shining like emeralds, inviting her to just disappear into them. She just kept staring into the eyes, telling stories about old memories and adventures, intimate moments shared together and all the other secrets they held.

But Applejack had other plans for Rd’s centre of attention as she pressed her lips against hers. The light sky blue mare’s eyes widened in surprise, and drew a faint moan form her as she felt the soft lips of her marefriend make contact with her own. Applejack was the one to take the first initiative, and gently forced her tongue into dash’ mouth drawing yet another moan from Rainbow Dash. Just as she was about to return the kiss, the orange farmpony abruptly broke it and detached herself from her marefriend.

Rainbow Dash pulled her marefriend closer again and tilted her head sideways, inviting for another kiss, only for applejack to bend her head to the side; revealing a single tear making its way down her chin only adding more tears to her already soaked fur.

“Jack, is something wrong?” Rainbow Dash looked down at her with anxiously, and started to rally take note of the changes Applejack had gone through. Her usual vibrant orange coat was now a lot paler, and looked whiter than its original colour. Her mane was also a lot paler, almost grey, and was in a mess instead of a ponytail as it used to be. Yet the most terrifying discovery lay within her eyes; As the surprise of seeing Dash again died away, the normally so lively green eyes were now seemingly dead. It was like Jack was a living shell of her former self; dead inside.

“Jack? What’s going on?” By now her ears were lying flat backwards, and her voice was trembling.

Applejack simply smiled weakly back at her, “Please don’t blame yerself. Ya did what ya could ta save me.” As she spoke more tears formed in her eyes. “Take care of yerself, and take yer life where ya wanted it”.

The dreaded truth finally started to dawn for Rainbow Dash as she crawled up in the hospital bed, and dug her way through the bed sheets pushing them aside to reveal Applejack’s body. Rainbow Dash then nestled herself down next to the pale pony, and spread her wings over her as an additional blanket. The actions seemed to have a positive effect on the farmpony as she laid her head down and rested it on the pillow.

She didn’t want to believe it and Applejack tried to convince her otherwise, but she knew it was all in no avail. She hadn’t been fast enough, and now Applejack was dying because of her. She also knew that if she died then she would die alongside her, and she was content with it.

She quickly used her wing to pull her marefriend all the way against her own side, making their flanks meet with a weak bump. The reaction from her action was instantaneous and vigorous. They were both surprised and embarrassed to say the least. It was like they both had taken a Taser each directly to their spines, and jolted upwards seemingly engaged in a competition about who could blush the hardest. Unfortunately it also made Applejack’s gloomy mood return with full power again.

“Rainbow… ah need ta – ah need ta tell ya somethin’. Ya see, them doctors were talking about mah injuries ta me. Ah didn’t understand all of that fancytalk, but ah figured what they meant and… and ah…” Her eyes were glassy as the first signs of tears started to show.

Seeing her marefriend like this was like taking a thousand hot knives to her heart. “Jack, it was not your fault. You are only making it worse for yourself; for me. Please, stop blaming yourself.”

The earth pony just looked back with an expression of sorrow. There were something she had been holding back; something pressing on her.. “Sugahcube, ah’d survived if it hadn’t been for mah other wounds. Them put too much pressure on mah body. At least them doctors said so.” As she spoke salty tears started to form in her eyelids, and if her pelt could have been stained more by tears then it would. “It’s all mah fault. Ah should have tried ta clear the barn without yer help”

“jack, please stop. You are only making it worse for both of us”

“ah reckon ye’r right. We should be together to the…” The last words were stuck in the farmpony’s throat. She didn’t want to believe it, but this was the bitter end, and it was way too early. She had her whole life ahead of her, they had their life ahead of them. They were supposed to be together forever. A future wonderbolt and a farmpony; who would believe that? Yet it happened. And now death was tearing them apart again.

Applejack put her front hoof over Rainbow Dash’s waist, and buried her face in the rainbow-colored mane. She felt tears rolling down from her eyes and soaking into soft strands of Rainbow Dash's hair. She just lay there, thinking. She wanted to cry, to fight, to buck the dead in his body back where it belonged, but her body felt so weak and broken. Soon her sorrows were swallowed by black, dreamless sleep.

The faint, yet so promising beating of Applejack’s heart and the steady rhythm of her breathing was like a lullaby to Rainbow Dash. A painful one, but nevertheless a lullaby. She knew she couldn’t let her marefriend die, but it all seemed so serene. Yet there were no way in Equestria she would be able to sleep, not with Applejack’s words ringing through her head; “Sugahcube, ah’d survived if it hadn’t been for mah other wounds. Them put too much pressure on mah body. At least them doctors said so.”

She needed to get her a new heart, but how. Unfortunately the exhaustion from the pondering, and the sweet lullaby of Applejack beside her was too much, and she drifted off into sleep.