• Published 20th Jan 2013
  • 1,952 Views, 19 Comments

Love worth dying for - dartmaul15



There's only one thing worse than loosing somepony close to you, and that's to sit by their side knowing not even the strongest of magic can save them. Is this Rainbow Dash' fate; To se her marefriend Applejack die? Not is she were to

  • ...
7
 19
 1,952

Chapter 2. My dying Paradise

Love wort dying for.

By dartmaul15

Chapter 2

My dying Paradise

AKA: To let it all out, and fall asleep.

Complete blackness and muscles aching like no tomorrow were what greeted Rainbow Dash as she woke up. ‘Off. What have I gotten myself into this time, and where in Equestria am I’. Rainbow Dash blinked trice before she realized where she was. There was no way she would ever forget that blue tapestry, and those hard, wooden framed, beds. She was in ponyville hospital.

‘The hospital? How the hay did I get here?’ A quick look around revealed no clue about it, apart from her feeling every aching muscle, and every painful wound in the entire body. ‘Ugh, at least that kind of explains why my whole body hurts like I have been wrestling with a dragon and an Ursa Major at the same time.’

Another few split seconds passed before she finally remembered why she was there. Her trip over to the sweet apple acres, Applejack clearing the barn of snow, the barn collapsing, her getting Applejack to hospital before collapsing, It all came back to her, and flooded her mind. She shot right up like somepony had electrocuted her and shouted one single word; “Applejack!”

She instinctively grabbed after the bell for the alarm to call for a nurse, and quickly found what she was searching for. ‘Yes, I knew it.’

She yanked as hard as she could, hoping someone would respond to it. What seemed like hours passed before she could hear the soft clacking of hooves against the tiled floor.

“Please Aj, be alive. Please… please”, she begged to herself as the clacking drew closer to her room.

The door opened, and revealed an almost perfectly white earth pony with sapphire blue eyes and a light pink mane. On top of her head she wore a nurse’s hat sharing the same look as her cutie mark; a red medical cross and hearts in every corner. Dash instantly recognized her as Nurse Redheart, the most caring of the nurses, and her personal favourite. The countless times at the hospital had made Redheart one of the few ponies she could talk to about more or less everything, apart from her friends of course.

“Redheart, where’s jack? How is she going? Is she going to be fine? Can I see her?” The bombardment of questions caught the nurse completely of guard, despite knowing the details of what had happened. She was however in no way prepared for what followed.

“Did she… survive?” Her voice cracked as she uttered the last words, and finally let her pent-up tears flow freely. The doubt in her voice and the tears flowing seemed completely out of place, like they didn’t belong to her.

“Rainbow dash, Applejack is being treated by the best doctors we have. I am sure she will be fine. You did what you could do in such situation, and you should feel proud about yourself.”

“No, I didn’t do everything. I was that close to saving her.” Dash underscored her point by holding two hooves so close together you could barely spot out a small gap between them. “If I had just reacted a little faster, or flew a little faster nothing of this would have happened.”

“Rainbow, listen. It was not your fault. It was not your fault!” She knew it would hurt when somepony disagreed with you in situations like these, but she had to make Rainbow Dash understand that it wasn’t her fault.

Rainbow Dash reacted as predicted, with frustration and anger “It was my fault. I wasn’t fast enough. I am the fastest flyer in all of Equestria, and can’t even save my friends!” Her tears had stopped now and her grief was now released through her anger.

“I have no idea what you are thinking, but if you hadn’t been there then Applejack would have died, that you can’t ignore.”

The words hit Rainbow Dash like somepony had thrown a barn at her, and she froze in place; memory trying to comprehend how insanely unlikely it was that Applejack even was alive right now.

‘If I hadn’t been those minutes earlier because I wanted to surprise Jack then I wouldn’t have been there when the barn collapsed, and then there wouldn’t have been anypony around to rescue her. She would have…’

The dreaded word left out from her thought made it stand so clear to her, yet she refused to stop blaming herself. She had failed to catch her, and Applejack was in hospital because of it. Yet she was right, Jack would have been dead without her.

“You… you are right.” She immediately fell back into the pillow and tensed her entire body in frustration; not made any better by the fact that the bandages on her hooves itched like crazy. Worst of all, she could only wait and hope; hope that Applejack would make it.

A gentle, caring hoof ran over her head trying to comfort her. “Rainbow, I know how it feels. It know how it feels like a thousand blades is tearing your soul to pieces. But you need to rest.” Truer words hadn’t been spoken since she awoke, yet somehow she couldn’t relax.

Rainbow could nothing bit look up into the roof, imagining Applejack next to her. The uncertainty of not knowing her fate would surely keep her awake.

“I know it is almost impossible to sleep, but that can be helped.” Redheart then stepped over to a small medicine cabinet hanging next to the door, and fetched a small can of pills.

“Sleeping pills; they should help you fall asleep in no time. Some of our visitors have also said that they have a tendency to give you sweet dreams. Of course it’s not scientifically proved, but you are allowed to dream.”

Rainbow had used them a few times before, and knew they offered her some much welcome rest. She just hoped they could dull some of her grief too, and not just only the pain from her numerous small wounds.

The white pony handed her the pill and a glass of water, which she quickly grabbed.

The pill was gone in a second, and the water soon followed. The blue pegasi could feel her eyelids become heavy as the sleeping pill took effect. The last thing she saw before closing her eyes and falling asleep was the imaginative yellow fur and green eyes of applejack sitting next to her bed, guarding over her.
A small smile spread on Rainbow Dash’s lip as the nurse carefully spread the blanket over the now sleeping pegasus.