• Published 20th Dec 2012
  • 915 Views, 30 Comments

Remember the Moon - Leviathan



Shortly following the Summer Sun Celebration Luna finds herself faced with many challenges of both a physical and social nature.

  • ...
2
 30
 915

The Night Before

___

“That’s it?” Rainfall sounded surprised.

It did seem a bit unlikely in retrospect. Yet it still happened. “You must understand that the preceding events had affected me greatly. The death of Luzear, the lack of recognition I received, the large amount of recognition Celestia received, the general chaos following Discord’s reign; all of these events led to my downfall. My mind had been stressed to a point it could not handle and collapsed. There was nothing else to it.”

“But you seem so strong-willed, Princess. It just doesn’t seem like you would be the type to let that type of stuff get to you...”

I sighed. “I’ve had a very long time to contemplate my actions and mull over my behavior. At the time I was hollow and impressionable. My innocence was destroyed in one deft motion by a chain of events and feelings I had no control over. It was just too much for any one pony to process. On top of it all the Library of the Night had adverse effects on me.”

Rainfall faked ignorance. “What do you mean? It was just an omnipotent library that had malevolent intentions, right? How could it have urged you to do anything?”

I chuckled. At least humor did not lose itself upon Rainfall in a time of crisis. “It influenced me. There was so much knowledge at my hooves, yet I was the only one able to appreciate it. I learned so many things from those books that I was blind to everything outside of them. I became obsessed with an ideal society. A utopia I thought could be invented rather than grown. In the end it did not end favorably for me.”

Rainfall nodded. “Okay.”

“Now then, where was I? Ah yes...”


___

My body had undergone quite the change in thirty years time. My mane which had originally been a flowing dark blue, was now a blossoming rose of starlight. Even without wind it twisted and glided through the air as if it was of its own mindset. It was of a color similar to that of the Night sky, but more translucent with faint shapes of constellations and stars here and there.

My eyes had evolved from a pale blue to a striking azure that bordered on teal. They seemed dreamy at first glance, but that was a mask for the great mind that lay beneath them. My eyes gave the impression of a perpetual void that craved knowledge.

My complexion had changed as well. My coat used to be a inky blue, but has since darkened to that of a jet-black shade. Each hair on my coat had small imperceptible sparks of magic that refracted any light that neared me, giving off an illusion of a Stygian aura encircling my being.

The vestment I was endowed with changed throughout the years as well. The tiara I had worn in youth had originally just borne a small gemstone of onyx within the crest, but overtime I had added several accessories. The onyx was embedded within the center of the tiara and surrounded by sapphires and jet. The edges of the crown had been fine-tuned to a sharp point in order to accentuate the rounded edges of the gemstones. My boots had silver lining wrapped around them, near the groove of my hoof. This lining shimmered when exposed to any sort of light and went well with my mane. A cloak was draped across one side of my form by a set of shoulder-straps. It was a sharp black shade, and the edges scraped across the ground.

The only thing that was truly comparable to the old me was my cutie mark. It was still a crescent moon imprinted onto the background of a purple, gaseous cloud. This transformation, while much more elegant, was not for the better. It was the putrid development of bleak and vile emotions I had kept festering within my soul.

My sister was comfortable believing my strange and exponential growth was due to some kind of puberty. I knew better of course. My outward appearance had changed so vastly in order to keep up with my inner maturation. I had studied the books housed in the Library of the Night for thirty long years, preparing and planning.

As my erudition grew so did my power. It had evolved to house the knowledge stored within me. What I had become was a vacuum. My body was merely a vacant channel capable of processing and producing vast amounts of energy.

I was so much more than I had been thirty years ago. I was so much more than Luna. I had carried the lessons of Luzear and the library with me, carefully crafting a plan so that I could bring ‘peace’ to Equestria.

After thirty years of intense training and manipulation I had perfected a plan. A plan that I would unleash on Equestria on the changing of seasons.

Every year we hold a celebration to welcome the coming of Spring. When Winter ends and the first smudges of Spring fade in, every pony celebrates. Not only does it represent the planting season for the many farmers of Equestria, but it also represented the general time at which Discord’s reign faltered. For three decades my sister and I had partaken in this celebration. We align the Moon and the sun so that they face each other, which in turn creates a rare celestial form. A celestial form commonly known as an eclipse. We would switch alternate between solar and lunar eclipses each year because we could. This year happened to be a solar eclipse.

During the eclipse I would go along with what most expected of me. I would raise the Moon and keep it poised in front of the sun. Then I would simply leave it there. I would not lower it to make way for the broadening beams of sunlight. No, I would let sit in the sky as a testament to my will. It would be a symbol of the days to come, the peace that would spread throughout Equestria.

The looming threat of eternal Night would force the ponies of Equestria to see me. It would shed light on me. They could not ignore me after such an event. Nor would they be able to ignore their putrid selves.

Then I would enforce a new regime. I would overthrow the Equestrian government and create a new one that befit my ideals. I planned for a government that listened to the needs of it’s people and reacted accordingly, a government that would not judge those based on outwards appearance, a government that took the ideas of the common-pony and built upon them, a government that would base itself upon the finding of knowledge, a government based on harmony. I wanted to lead said government. I expected that some would try to resist my ideas, but I did not want the corruption that had been inbred into the streets of Canterlot to continue. My mind was fixed on the idea of reform, and I was a rather stubborn individual...

It was the day before the ceremony and I trotted towards the balcony preparing myself to raise the Moon one last time before my plan came to fruition. I came upon my sister, doing her part and lowering the sun. She stood erect against the fading orange of twilight. Celestia’s coat was a shining white, radiating warmth and a sense of hope. Her eyes were kind and marvelous. They gleamed as brightly as the celestial body she had claimed stake to. Her posture spoke of confidence and determination, hardly showing any signs of stress or age. Her vibrantly colored mane lazily flew behind her, accentuating her other features even further. To summarize, she appeared majestic.

She was transfixed on the falling sun and unable to sense my approach. I gave a dignified cough to alert her to my presence. She turned around and smiled.

“Hello Luna! I did not see you coming.” She was practically irradiating sunlight.

“Hello Tia.” My voice came out a bit colder than I meant it to.

“Luna, what’s wrong? You sound a bit...” She struggled a bit coming up with an accurate way to describe my mood. After an awkward period of silence she finished her thought, “...wretched.”

I sighed. While keeping secrets was something I was quite adept at, I still did not feel comfortable keeping Celestia in the dark. We were sisters after all...but the ends justify the means.

“That is preposterous. How could I be anything but jubilant with the oncoming celebration?” I decided it would be best to mask my darker thoughts with sarcasm. Humor makes such a wonderful shield after-all.

Celestia gave a slight frown. “I know you aren’t exactly the most social pony in Equestria, but today is special don’t you think? Today marks the thirtieth anniversary of when we imprisoned Discord.” She gave a slight pause and looked at me. After a realizing that I was still not going to speak she continued. “You remember him right? About yay high...” She lifted her hoof a high above the ground. “...Dragon-eagle-lion-pony-bat-goat thingy that bathed Equestria in chaos and destroyed our country.” She gave me a broad smile.

I stood and stared blankly at my sister for a moment. “Yes, I remember Discord.” My tone was dry and I did my best to reinforce the idea that we should drop the subject of Discord.

I had never actually informed Celestia of what Luzear had told me all those years ago. She was unaware that Discord had actually been a transfigured ether-based being who used our father as a tool. She wasn’t aware that we had even had a father, actually. I also hadn’t told her that Equestria had been stricken by a corrupt government and that Discord’s appearance had served to dismantle it.

Perhaps one day I could casually slip it into a conversation. If we would still be talking after today...


___

Rainfall placed a hoof on my flank to indicate that she wanted me to stop.

“What is it my dear?” I asked her, while warily looking around incase Everfree had found us.

“I thought you said that history shouldn’t be hidden.”

“I did.” I saw where the young pony was going but let her continue on anyway.

“So why didn’t you tell Princess Celestia about all of that stuff?”

I bit my lip. Not even I truly understand the motives behind my actions. I had proclaimed that I wanted to follow the teachings of Luzear, but I had ignored his most important rule. Before I could begin Rainfall spoke up again.

“Is it because you loved her, and didn’t want to hurt her?” Rainfall looked at me expectantly awaiting an answer.

I looked away from the young filly, unable to meet her gaze. “No, It was not due to love, the love in my heart had long since perished by that point. What used to be love had devolved into a calculating bitterness.”

Rainfall looked at me again and simply asked, “If it wasn’t because of love, then why?”

“Because I was always jealous of Celestia.” Rainfall looked at me, confusion evident on her features. I gave a long-winded sigh and continued. “All of my life I had shared everything with Celestia. We had shared the same toys, the same friends, the same enemies, the same political positions even. But ponies always liked her better. She was a charismatic diplomat with a kind heart, while I was just a shadowy bookworm with an attitude issue. They only ever saw her. I was always viewed as Celestia’s shadow. I was somepony insignificant who just happened to be in her presence. We were never really co-regents of Equestria. No, I was just her free-roaming pet.” Revulsion climbed up my throat at the word pet. The worst part was that nothing had really changed in a thousand years. Nothing but my age.

I swallowed down my feelings and continued. “I liked knowing something she did not (and still do). I liked knowing about our history and being able to finally show her up. It was a delicious sensation, similar to the tingling ecstasy one gets from knowledge. I was able to bear insight about the Library of the Night and our history and it felt great.”

Rainfall looked at me again. “Have you told her anything since you came back from the Moon?” Her tone of voice was innocent enough. She must have been oblivious to the discomfort this caused me.

“No.” My voice was the essence of cool, the epitome of calm.

“Really? Then what’s changed since a thousand years ago?”

“I have.”

“If you’ve changed then how come you’ve never told anypony about any of this?” She sounded suspicious.

“I am telling you are I not, Rainfall?” It is hard to trump non-sensical logic.

The young filly’s appetite seemed to be sated for the time being. “Yeah, I guess you are, huh? But why am I the only one you’ve told? I bet your sister would love to know.”

“Celestia and my relationship, while regenerating, is still strained, at best. It is difficult for the two of us to communicate, considering the rather substantial gap of time we spent apart. As for the rest of the Equestrian population...” I paused and took a sharp intake of breath. “None of them have ever inquired as to my history. They actively avoid me, for fear that I will unleash my wrath upon them.”

Rainfall lifted a hoof to her chin, thinking over my words. “So...I was the only one brave enough to ask you?” I nodded. “Wow, so I guess that means I’m the bravest pony in all of Canterlot! Maybe even Equestria!” Her smile practically broke the dimensions of her face. It practically broke the dimensions of the universe. She did a small twirl and ended by giving herself a high-hoof.

“Yes I suppose you are.” It was nice to see the young filly filled with zeal. And rather astonishing.

Even when faced with starvation, malevolent spirits, overwhelming sadness, and darkness this young filly was able to smile. This, in turn, forced me to smile. I could see why Luzear had praised Equestria so much.

Rainfall stopped spinning and looked at me seriously for a moment. She sat down instantly and eyed me intently. Her previous bounce was replaced with a stiff face and back.

“What’s wrong Rainfall?” Her sudden change in demeanor was quite peculiar.

“Then that means your lonely, doesn’t it?” She looked at me seriously.

I returned the expression. Something seemed off about her, but my instinct could be wrong. Or maybe...was that concern? “Of course. I have always been lonely.”

I was given a sympathetic stare by Rainfall. “Well I’m really sorry about that Princess.”

I smiled at her. “It is quite alright my dear. I could have all the friends in the world and I would still be lonely. That is just my curse. Let us just continue with the story and-”

I was cut off as the filly jumped at me, pulling me into an hug. Her fore-legs were not quite long enough to wrap around me, but she managed by gripping my neck in a chokehold. “You’re wrong Princess Luna. As long as you have at least one friend you’ll never be lonely. And I’m going to be that one friend.”

I looked down at the filly. Quite extraordinary, indeed. I coughed once, garnering the attention of the young filly holding me. “You are quite right...friend.” I stroked her mane and smiled down at her. “Now, perhaps we could continue our little story.”

She looked up at me expectantly and nodded.

“Wonderful. As I was saying before...”


___

I stared at Celestia. She opened her mouth and addressed the issue of Discord once again. “You act so reserved whenever I bring him up sister. Perhaps you need to adopt a lighter mood. It might even make you appear less...horrifyingly frightening.”

“I hardly see this as a time to celebrate Tia. Tomorrow marks an anniversary. An anniversary commending the change of an era. In my eyes that is something that commands a solemn respect, not a gleeful celebration.”

“You’re far too serious Luna! Let loose a bit. Enjoy the world.” Celestia was still smiling brightly at me.

I turned my gaze towards her and our eyes met. “I seek knowledge Tia. I seek power to maintain Equestria. Everypony else may avert their attention and enjoy themselves, but I am not at the luxury to do so.”

Celestia merely gave me a pitiful look. Her smile was replaced with that of a doleful frown. “You can’t possibly believe that, Luna. We aren’t the only ones who care for Equestria you know. The armada is at our backs as well as the many supporting forces surrounding the nation. And the common pony protects the nation itself. Not to mention the council...”

My mind broke away from our conversation at the mention of the council. I had never really trusted the council. It was hard to after having learned of the original council’s nefarious ways. Even if Celestia’s reforms had brought on new members and such it was hard to fully consign my trust to the council. To me, they would always be a symbol of the dark underside of Equestria. In fact, part of my plan was to disband the council upon my ascension.

I brought my thoughts back to Celestia’s speech once again. “...So all I’m saying is that you should be happy Luna. Just have fun at the celebration with me today. Get some perspective. Find a friend. Converse with some of your subjects. Maybe even meet somepony special.” She paused a moment. “Just do something besides think for once.”

“Perhaps I will Tia. Perhaps I will...” I let the last words reverberate off of my tongue to create a soft echo. The echo emitted always felt hollow and cold. It served to unnerve those around me, sometimes it even caused them to shudder. Fear is such a wonderful tool. “Perhaps I will...act.”

Celestia shook a bit. “I hate it when you do that, you know. It’s just so... ominous.” She began to walk away, her mane’s elegant form not losing any grace as it moved with her. “Goodnight Luna.”

I smiled, having gotten the desired effect. I rather enjoyed casting the enchantment. It served a rather unique purpose in interrogations. It keeps the victim honest. Lies are hard to maintain when intimidated. That was not to say that it revealed the truth. It merely put a few holes in the victims story. The spell itself was of my own creation. I developed it after some studying.

I watched Celestia walk away and said, “All Nights are superb, Celestia. All Nights.” Celestia simply looked at me as she trotted off. I loosed a small chuckle when she was out of sight.

I turned my attentions towards the skies. I began to raise the Moon in its usual form and focused on making this last Night as beautiful as possible. I poured the entirety of my magic into the sky allowing my creativity to guide my actions. In the end what was left of my burning passion became the sky. Having honed my abilities over thirty years it was much more glorious than the Night I had produced so long ago.

I gazed upon it in wonderment. The Night was so glorious, so magnificent, yet no-pony ever gave it a second glance. They slept, oblivious to everything I represented. They walked along in a blissful ignorance, happily forsaking that which controls the tides. Forsaking that which shed light upon the darkness.

Soon they would not be able to ignore it, though. Soon they would be subjected to an eternal Night, whether they wished for it or not. Everything was in place the way it should be. Everything would go off without a hitch. I went over the plan one last time inside of my head, to finalize details and recap my main points.

First, Celestia would raise the sun. I would position my Moon in front of it to create the eclipse. Ponies would ‘ooohhh’ and ‘awwww’ at the spectacle we created then the celebration would start. I would attend the celebration by Celestia’s side and would show no outward signs of my plans.

Second, the royal horn would blow to announce the ending of the eclipse. My sister would let me take the lead and lower the Moon to unleash Spring upon the land. I would pretend to comply, but then leave the Moon stationary. Confusion would ensue.

Next my sister would likely inquire as to what the problem was. I would then inform her, in as casual a tone as I could manage, that I would not be lowering the Moon. Even more confusion would ensue. Ponies would likely start to whisper around wondering if what I was doing was a part of the celebration.

It was probable that my sister would express disbelief and ask me to elaborate upon my meaning. That is when I would reveal my plan partially and talk of eternal Night. I would use magic to make my form appear more intimidating and large at this point so that my sister did not overshadow me, as per usual.

Celestia would try to talk me down, but I would remain firm. I would do my best to convince her that I knew best. Even I had no idea as to how she would react. Hopefully she would agree and it would end there. However, I was not so foalish as to not plan out an alternative in case she disagreed with me.

If it did come to worst case scenarios I believed that my thirty years of training would more than prepare me to face any challengers. I could use my appearance, power, and voice to paralyze them with fear. That would likely be enough to keep others from trying to attack me.

Then I would use my magic to lower the sun and create an eternal Night. I would reform the basis of government in Equestria and see to it that all the values I believed in were upheld.

The plan seemed flawless at the time. I was by-far the most powerful pony in Equestria, being that I was an alicorn, and that I had trained under the Library of the Night. It was not likely that anypony would be able to stop me.

That was how I expected my plan to go at least. I patiently awaited the arrival of dawn and continued to go over my plan. The entire Night seemed to go by in a blurry haze.

...