• Published 20th Dec 2012
  • 915 Views, 30 Comments

Remember the Moon - Leviathan



Shortly following the Summer Sun Celebration Luna finds herself faced with many challenges of both a physical and social nature.

  • ...
2
 30
 915

Rest

I awoke in darkness. I attempted to bring my hoof to my eye to wipe away the ‘sand’ accumulating in my eyes. I winced at the pain caused from attempting to bring my leg above shoulder level.

Looking to the limb I saw a bandage wrapped around the shoulder and foreleg. A rather bloodied bandage. I paused for a moment, letting my brain catch up to the waking world.

Then it all hit me, coming back to me in a rather quick flash. The previous events that had plagued me: following Rainfall into the Paradise grove, stumbling upon the body of her mother, Paradise’s appearance, Rainfall’s death, Paradise’s death, and then darkness. Not the warm embrace of the shadows, but the bone-chilling grip of empty darkness.

I blinked away the darkness from my eyes, allowing my senses to take over. My vision was blurred, and my head throbbed whenever I tried to focus on one point. I just shut them tight and relied on my other senses.

I felt around with my hooves in order to find out where I was. The thing I was laying on was fluffy and comfortable, maybe an infirmary bed. Though, if I was in an infirmary that would not explain the impenetrable darkness I was laying in.

I could hear hoof-steps in the distance, quite a lot in fact. I could make out the faint breaths of two other beings, muffled by a wall or maybe even a door. Besides that there was no sound, no noise. Not even a burst of wind.

I tried to reach out with my magic to feel around the rest of the room, but the waves of heat it sent through my horn informed me that it was not a good idea to try that. I attempted to get to my hooves, but my legs begged to differ. Trying to make my way out of the bed I found myself tripping over the edge and falling to the ground with a dull thud.

It was not but a second after I fell that the sound of doors being thrown open reached my ears. I heard heavy hoof-steps leading up to me as well as the vibrations set off by the pony, or ponies, who were coming to my aid. I felt a dull ache in my chest, a little reminder of my injured rib.

“Your majesty!” A voice shouted. Presumably it belonged to a guard. “Are you quite all right?”

I opened my eyes and tried to focus on the source of the voice to confirm my thoughts (as well as my location). The throbbing returned as soon as I attempted to focus on said pony’s face. I winced away, shutting my eyes in pain. I heard another hoof-step as I did.

“Your majesty?!” The guard repeated. He sounded quite worried.

“I am fine,” I lied, “I just fell out of my bed tis’ all. If you would just help me back into it. Also could you perhaps inform my sister that I am quite eager to speak to her? I would be very appreciative.” I kept my voice steady and calm. Though in reality I was bit anxious to speak to Celestia about the events of the past.

“Yes your majesty!” Two spirited voices answered in unison. So there were two guards. The two of them helped lift me into a (somewhat) angular position, where one supported my right side and the other guided my steps. They deposited me unto my bed and I heard their hoof-steps as they departed from the room.

So apparently I was in my own room back at the castle. I rooted myself back under the blankets, allowing them to be draped over the lower half of my body. It was quite cozy, but then again, it was a room meant for a Princess so that wasn’t exactly surprising.

A few minutes later I heard more hoof-steps, although these were far louder, each one leaving vibrations that reached me through the fluffy bed. No doubt this was Celestia. Or Queen Chrysalis. But there was only like a 40% chance that would happen...again. We haven’t been on the best of terms since poker-night.

I heard the doors opening and closing once again. The sounds of steps coming closer to my bedside alerted me to the upcoming pony. The temperature felt as if it had risen a few degrees upon the entrance of the new pony. They couldn’t be standing more then a foot away. There was no doubt this was Celestia.

A few seconds later and I was brought into a crushing embrace by a strong pair of legs. I felt warm tears running down my shoulders and my breath caught in my chest. “Tia...you’re...crushing me...” I managed to choke out.

All she did was pull me closer and tighter until I was sure I was going to pop. She finally released me, however, and gently pulled herself away. “I-I’m sorry Luna...I had just thought that I had lost you...again.” She pulled me into another hug, causing my eyes to bulge slightly.

I tried, and failed, to push her away with my limbs. “I’m fine. But I won’t be if you keep squeezing me!” I returned the hug nonetheless. “Now then, we have some things we need to discuss about what happened.”

Celestia released her death-grip once again. She coughed to clear her throat. “Yes, perhaps you would like to hear the report that my guards filed before telling me what you experienced.” I raised my eyebrows. It probably looked more comical than anything else considering my eyes were still shut.

Celestia was able to understand my misgivings nonetheless. “It’s purely a formality. Just a way to collaborate with what you and the other pony say.” Celestia must have still sensed some misgivings as she continued. “This is in no way an insult to you, dear sister.” Said Celestia quickly. For some reason, I still doubted that.

“Just get on with it, Tia.” I said dryly. My mood was rather poor due to my injuries, the death of one of my subjects, and every other little thing that had happened in the past.

There was a moment of silence. I could almost sense the worry irradiating from my beloved sister. “Are you okay, Luna? What is wrong with your eyes? That wound on your shoulder looks nasty? Do you need some time to recuperate before we discuss this?” The tone of concern melted my heart.

I could not be petty and foul just because of something such as my mood. I’m sure Celestia had cancelled many appointments in her busy schedule just to see me on such a short notice. Besides, I asked the question first.

I gave a long winded sigh, one that irritated my chest slightly. In turn that irritated me. “No, in fact I am not fine. Quite a few events have transpired which have put me in a position that is contrary to the definition of the word.” My voice rose against my will. Sometimes it was just too difficult to hold my composure.

A comforting hoof was placed atop of my own. “At least you’re alive, Luna.” Celestia’s voice was a happy whisper, but a doleful one as well. A sort of forlorn jubilance. That is the best term I could use to describe it as it is rather difficult to describe a compound created from the combination of contradictory elements.

“Should I be, though? I failed, Celestia.” I said.

“Failed to do what, Luna?” Celestia asked the question in a motherly tone.

“I failed to protect those closest to me.” I replied, voice cracking as I spoke. I leaned my head away. I did not want my sister, the benevolent sun goddess, to see me in my shame.

Celestia merely remained quiet for a few seconds. “I think it’s best if I read the report filed by my guards.” Celestia coughed to clear her throat. I could hear the crumpling of paper as the scroll was unraveled. I smiled.

If one thing could ever cheer me up, it was that noise. It may sound silly and even a bit strange, but it is a comfort to hear that noise. When I had been younger I had been a bit of a black sheep among the nobles and Equestria in general.

Unlike Celestia, I did not take so well to diplomats and the world of diplomacy. The court system also found that it did better off with out me. Apparently my policy of beheading everypony was not popular. Nor was my follow-up that had trained Royal Guards member shove bamboo under criminals nails.

The military kicked me out as well. Apparently my advanced, advanced tactics were far too thought-out. The one time I had been allowed to head a (fake) combat scenario I had overestimated the other commander and led my troops in circles for a few days. We ended up too tired to even combat our opponents once we met them on the battlefield. Luckily my strategizing skills have improved greatly since then.

So all in all, I was basically a pariah. My only purpose was to look pretty raising the Moon. The council had no place for me, nor did the military, nor did the Maids Association of Equestria (I found out that bleach and ammonia do not mix well into a super cleaning agent. They don’t mix well at all.).

So I took solace in the libraries, increasing my bank of knowledge, trying to find a purpose. Most of the books in the Canterlot Royal Library were new at this time, only a few decades old or so. It was quite fortunate.

The sounds and smells of the books were beautiful. The knowledge each one held, the information it plucked straight from the head of the author, was astounding to say the least. The imaginations of authors written down for me to soak up, to absorb. It was wonderful.

In that time it was not insane to think that I started to react to books similar to how an addict reacts to a ‘fix.‘ I started taking them to diplomatic meetings and such, always acting the part of a detached filly. Of course, I listened to what was said. Just not until after I finished the novel I was engrossed in.

Needless to say it earned me quite the reputation for being a bookworm. But that was quite alright. At least I was not known as a secluded hermit with absolutely no talent. The books I read were usually complex and advanced. They made people think I was powerful.

Celestia had always thought that I just brought the books to the meetings to intimidate others, or maybe catch them off guard. I just liked reading in all honesty. Eventually, I became so familiar with works of literature I could feel a page being turned a mile away. And tell the genre of the novel. Basically, I was such a bookworm that I built up a psychic connection with paper.

Celestia cleared her throat...

File #84017
Case: Homicide, Possible Treason
Equestrian Guard Investigative Services’
Homicide Division

At approximately 16:00 hours nine ponies were found in Paradise Grove, in front a large cave. Three of the ponies have been identified as Princess Luna, Flowing Wind, and November Rainfall. Flowing Wind and Princess Luna were both found alive and rushed to infirmaries in Canterlot. Flowing Wind suffered four broken ribs, several puncture wounds, and acute mind compression. She is currently under an induced coma while she is recuperating. She is stable and resting. She will be brought in for further questioning soon. November Rainfall was dead at the scene, a large stone rupturing her chest. According to our records Flowing Wind was mother and guardian of November Rainfall. Princess Luna was found, body scarred in several places, and covered burns and bruises. She appears to have been in a fight. An unidentified green substance was found on her coat and wings, test results are pending on toxicity.
Six unidentified remains were also found, but they had decomposed beyond recognition. Perhaps scavengers had reached them. They were surrounded by a strange fire that prevented us from touching the bodies. A hazmat team was called immediately. However, they still suffered a burning sensation on their skin. Magic does not seem to effect the remains and we are currently trying to devise a way in which to transport the bodies. We are still trying to determine the identities of said ponies.

The site itself looks similar to a battlefield. The grass has been burned away by spells and fire. Large craters have formed in the dirt were centralized beams have struck. Due to the shear size of the craters, the strange conditions of the six remains, and evidence of Princess Luna having been in a fight, it is a strong possibility that the clearing was leveled by Princess Luna.
From the evidence gathered my team and I have come to, what we believe, the most reasonable conclusion. For some reason Princess Luna had been patrolling the Night, was protecting November Rainfall and her mother, Flowing Wind, from a bandit attack. Specifically six bandits. They did not take kindly to her though, and attacked her party, killing young Rainfall and injuring both Princess Luna and Flowing Wind. In a desperate attempt to protect her subject and herself the Princess unleashed her power against the bandits, reducing them to bone and flames.
We conclude that any and all action performed by the Princess (if this be the case) is justified.

- From the Desk of Lieutenant Corporal Private”

I heard the familiar sound paper crumpling as Celestia rolled her scroll up again. “About how much of that is accurate?”

“How many bodies did you say they found?” I asked.

“What?” Celestia replied, confused.

“How many bodies did you say they found?” I repeated.

“I know what you said, I’m asking what you could possibly mean.” Said in a slightly annoyed tone. Dear old Celestia.

“I know what you said, but I’m asking how many bodies you found.” I said in a voice that conveyed more than a slight bit of annoyance.

“And I told you. Nine, including yours. Six of the other eight were just decomposed remains. The other two were Flowing Wind, a poor mare trying to support her daughter and herself, and November Rainfall, the daughter of Flowing Wind,” Celestia’s voice cracked, “Who was found dead at the scene.”

Only nine bodies. The one body that truly mattered here, the one that held answers was gone. Where exactly had the body of Paradise gone? Where could it have possibly gone!?

“Only nine!?” I exclaimed rather loudly. “That can’t be right! Are you absolutely sure?” I said, any form of composure I had held melting away.

What could possibly have collaborated with the being to make sure its body was not found? What reason was there for hiding the body? Who, or what, even knew that the battle had been taking place? And what had been privy to knowledge of Paradise’s existence in the first place?

“Yes, only nine.” Celestia said. From the sound of shuffling hooves I could tell that my outburst may have caused her to break composure as well. “Is that a problem!?” She asked, voice a little bit more worrisome now.

Unless, of course, Celestia was lying to me. She wouldn’t do that, though. Would she? Perhaps she had found the body and claimed it in secret, hoping to protect her ponies from it and its secrets.

Maybe Celestia had feared the body, wondered where another alicorn could possibly have appeared from. That could have led her to lock it away, at least until she could study it. That wouldn’t explain why she was hiding it from me, though. So where, pray tell, had the carapace of the Ectoplasmic Phantasm gone?

Celestia tapped me lightly on my hoof. “What is it?” She asked, concerned. She was probably the only pony that could tell when I was thinking. She was the only who would take the time to know me like that. I knew she would never do anything of that nature to me. She was simply better than that.

My should twitched and drew my hoof away from her. “You’re missing one body.” I said simply.

There was a long, awkward pause. Neither Celestia nor I dared break the silence that hung dark and heavy over the room. Finally I heard an awkward cough as Celestia cleared her throat once again. “What?” Was all my sister seemed able to manage.

“You’re missing the body of the force behind all of this death and injury.” I said, still unsure of how to begin talking about the events of the previous day. That is, assuming that I had only been unconscious for one day.

“Well that is...discomforting. I would greatly appreciate it if you could make me a more enlightened despot by informing as to what happened. Or, at least, what you perceived to have happened. Now then, when did this all begi-”

“What I perceived to have happened!? What exactly are you implying with that, dear sister?” I interjected.

A hoof was placed atop of mine again. “Absolutely nothing,” cooed Celestia. “Now if you would please just tell me your side of the story.”

“My side of this tale happens to be the tale.” I said dryly. It appeared that my word was not completely trusted, not even by my sister.

The comforting hoof withdrew from its position atop of my own. Celestia’s voice came out loud and strong as she spoke her next line. “Luna, you must understand that just because of your position as royalty, you are not automatically right. I shall consider what you say and cross check it with the facts, as well as several other ponies statements. This isn’t like the old days, you know. We’re not so far above the law anymore.”

It was true. Times had changed as far as law was concerned. In the times that I had ruled centuries ago I had been able to judge a case as I saw fit. Now I was forced to do all sorts of things. For example, now I had to base any case judged off evidence.

It’s ridiculous, huh? I mean why shouldn’t I be allowed to judge a case the moment I see the defendant? I know whether or not they’re guilty just by looking at them. That’s how courtrooms should work, after all!

“Luna, snap out of it.” Celestia snapped me out of my abstractions. I let my attention sift over to her. “Good, now would you please tell me what happened to you that Night? What other body were we supposed to find?” The tone of worry was present in her voice again.

This time I was the one to clear my throat as I gathered my thoughts on what to say next. “Yes, well it is a rather long tale. I recommend you pull up a chair...It began a yesterday at approximately four o’clock when I followed young Rainfall into Paradise Grove and...”

I continued to recount the events of the previous day to Celestia who, for the most part, remained silent. Occasionally she would interject with a question or to clarify a detail. For the most part, however I spoke and she listened.

The only details that I excluded from my retelling were those of my story to Rainfall. I did not think it to be relevant. I was hoping to discuss the possible implications of the affair of the missing body with Celestia, but apparently the council had other plans.

As I completed my tale I was alerted to the noise of hooves shuffling, and the accompanying noise of the double doors to my bedroom opening and closing. I heard a soft, rather light voice speak up. “Your Majesty?”

“What do you need, Secretariat?” Asked Celestia in a kind, motherly voice.

“Your presence is required in the council chambers. They wish to pass new legislation and require your presence.” Said the young filly.

“I see,” said Celestia thoughtfully. “Thank you, Secretariat, I always like to know when to make my presence known. You’re free to attend to your duties now.”

“Yes, your majesty.” Said Secretariat. I heard the clopping of hooves and the opening and closing of the doors once again.

As soon as the doors shut I heard Celestia release an exasperated sigh. “I cannot bear another legislative meeting. The last one involved me having to keep the council from passing a law that banned trees from Equestria. I will come check on you again soon, Little Luny.” I was about to protest the rather atrocious nickname until I felt Celestia pressing her muzzle against my cheek. It was wonderful being back home.

“I shall be expecting you, Tia.” I said, happy to once again be in a familiar domain. A lonely domain, but a familiar one.

I heard the heavy thud of metal upon the floor, signaling Celestia’s departure. The large double doors opened and there was a pause. “I’m glad you’re alright, Luna.” I heard Celestia whisper. Then the doors shut.

I could hear her hooves even through the large door. She truly did enjoy making her presence known.

Even her hoof-steps faded eventually, and I was left alone with my thoughts.

Well, my thoughts, and my exhausted, aching body. I had not quite recovered from the double bear hug Celestia had decided to bestow upon me. And she was quite strong. Quite strong indeed. So instead of thinking over my predicament I chose to opt for a less enervating option.

I decided to take a nap. The chat with Celestia had drained me, strangely enough. The other pains in my body may have also contributed to my general sense of fatigue.

I laid my head down upon the place, where I assumed my pillow was. I felt around with my good hoof, trying to find the lip of the cover. Of course, my one good hoof was still injured, just less so than the others.

I pulled the lip to a higher position, letting the bedding drape over the upper half of my body. The snug, fluffy duvet created a pocket of air that was quickly warmed by my natural body heat. The pillow was plush and my head sunk deeply into it.

The need to sleep was insatiable. It was simply an unquenchable thirst to escape to the world of dreams. Some primal instinct erupted in me which told me to sleep.

It was not long before I was lost to the world of dreams...