• Published 18th Dec 2012
  • 2,846 Views, 112 Comments

The Royal Vacation - Colt Vulpes



Celestia and Luna are bored of ruling Equestria and decide they need a vacation. They leave our favorite purple unicorn in charge.

  • ...
9
 112
 2,846

Chapter 4: Returning Home

·

Chapter 4

Returning Home


·

“So, what in tarnation do I do now?”

Like the others, Applejack had managed to stumble back home.

The sun’s down, but there’s no moon, and no stars... how am I supposed to see a gosh-darn thing?

The other ponies weren’t faring much better. Anywhere, I mean. From Ponyville to Canterlot to Appleloosa, nopony could see a thing. Manehattan was doing well, since there was so much artificial lighting, but that was the exception, not the rule. (And Canterlot would be doing fine, if somehorse had paid the electric bill before darting off with her sister.)

The Everfree Forest was also fine for some reason, but that’s just Everfree being Everfree. The moon and stars move on their own and freaky stuff like that.

Geldo managed to make it home, somehow. He couldn’t see at all, but he knew up from down and his internal birdie compass pointed him in the right direction.

Though when he arrived, he began to wish he’d gotten lost instead.

“GELDO!”

“Yes, President Zeldo?”

“I have just received a report from Equestria’s royal guards about your behavior.”

“Huh, them? And what did they say?”

“They said—how should I put this lightly—that you committed a serious faux pas.”

Geldo snorted. “And you’re gonna listen to them?”

“Look, Geldo,” said President Zeldo, “we do not want to strain Griffin-Equestrian relations. We may not always get along, but it’s imperative that we do not go to war with them.”

Geldo snorted again. “And why not?”

“It wouldn’t be good for anyone. And really, peace is in our own self interest. A war of that type would be devastating for our nation.”

“Ah great. You’re not going soft, are you?”

“Me? Never. And watch what you say, underling.”

Geldo did not heed the warning. “Really?” he asked. “Then why don’t you want to fight them?”

Zeldo backed down slightly, and looked at Geldo solemnly. “Because they would flatten us.”

The two stood in silence for a moment.

“Also,” said President Zeldo, “The Equestrian guards told me something else in their report.”

Geldo looked nervous. “And... what was that?”

“They told me you mocked Equestria’s decision to be led by a female.”

Uh oh.

“Geldo?”

“Yes, ma’am?”

“The rest of your behavior may be conditionally excusable, but such remarks are both highly unprofessional...”

Zeldo leaned in closer, her eyes boring into Geldo’s.

“...and unwise.”

Geldo was cowering in fear. Is this the end? Nice knowin’ ya, world.

“And I’m afraid I’ll have to relieve you of your duty.”

Geldo was still cowering.

“In other words, you’re fired.”

Huh? She’s not gonna kill me?

“...just scram, will you? This is getting awkward.”

“Y-yes, ma’am!” Geldo fled the Griffin State House in record time.

“Geez,” said President Zeldo, “that’s the last time I let commander Meldo appoint an ambassador. You’d think he’s trying to start a kerfuffle with the ponies.”

(And you’d be right.)

·


·

“Oh no what do I do what do I do what do I doooo?” Pinkie was having a freakout attack. Or maybe she was just being Pinkie. “I can’t see a thing I’d like to light a candle but I can’t find one! And I don’t wanna start Sugarcube Corner on fire agaiiiin!”

“Pinkie, keep it down! We’re trying to sleep!”

“Sorry Mrs. Cake!”

Just then, the moon rose up.

“Oh, thank Luna!” said Pinkie. By the light of the moon, she lit a candle. The room lit up, and all was well. Now she could stay up as late as she wanted. (Lyra had written some My Little Human fanfiction. It was... actually kinda lousy, but Pinkie was all over it.)

The other ponies had similar (though less, er, Pinkie-like) reactions. They all thought it was very strange how quickly the moon rose, but they figured it was just Luna coming to her senses and doing her job despite being on vacation. Whether this was a correct assumption, however, is yet to be known.

·


·

“Wow,” said Celestia. She was still examining Apple Bloom’s cutie mark, this time with a microscope. “It looks like you and your friends on your cutie mark have their own cutie marks.”

“Really?” said Apple Bloom. “It was too small for me to notice, I guess.”

Celestia turned a knob and increased the magnification. “And they do too! How many levels down does this go?”

“Gosh, I dunno.”

Luna slipped in without a sound. Zecora raised her eyebrows inquisitively, and Luna nodded with a smile. Celestia was too busy to notice.

“Well, Apple Bloom,” continued Celestia, “all I can say is you and your friends something very unique. You should be proud!”

“So, how goes it Sister?”

“Oh, Luna! Sorry, I got a little distracted there with Apple Bloom’s recursive cutie mark.”

“You ready to head on out?”

“Yes!” said Celestia. “Let’s see what other fun stuff we can do.”

“Yes, let’s!” Luna grinned slyly. “See you later, Zecora!”

“Same to you Luna, see you then!”

“Oh, did I forget Celestia again?”

Luna chuckled. Celestia looked annoyed.

“C’mon, sis,” Luna finally said, “Let’s get going.”

Zecora’s an interesting character, thought Celestia. She actually liked the fact that Zecora didn’t worship the ground the royal sisters walked on. It was nice to have somepony (or some zebra) actually joke around with them like that every now and then. And from this experience, she learned first-hand how Luna must feel about so many things – always being added in as an afterthought, if at all. Suddenly, the whole Nightmare Moon incident made a lot more sense. Celestia saw how crazy Twilight went when under stress, so who’s to blame Luna for acting in a similar (albeit scaled-up) manner?

Celestia was mulling these thoughts over as the sisters returned to the outskirts of Ponyville.

They heard shouting from the middle of town.

“Mwahahaha! You pathetic ponies will never see your precious sun again!”

“AAAAH NIGHTMARE MOON!”

“SHE’S BACK!!”

“WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE!”

“Somepony call Canterlot!”

Celestia looked at her sister. Plain ol’ Luna, right next to her.

Okay, thought Celestia, now that doesn’t make sense.

·


×

Author's Note:

Geldo and Zeldo! (And also Meldo!) Well, I toldya all the griffins would have stupid names!
(I basically started with “Gilda” and started switching out letters at random.)

(And if your name happens to be one of those, then I apologize for calling your name stupid.)

Also, I must warn you: The next chapter will be VERY random. (Spoiler: Derpy!) But the one after that should start to pull things together.