• Published 18th Dec 2012
  • 2,847 Views, 112 Comments

The Royal Vacation - Colt Vulpes



Celestia and Luna are bored of ruling Equestria and decide they need a vacation. They leave our favorite purple unicorn in charge.

  • ...
9
 112
 2,847

Chapter 12: What About These Guys?

·

Chapter 12

What About These Guys?


·

Rainbow Dash scuffed at the ground. She paced back and forth.

Isn’t anypony else worried?

Apparently not. Fluttershy had invited them all over for lunch at her cottage, and Rainbow Dash watched as her friends played with Fluttershy’s numerous pets.

But I mean, Rainbow Dash shouldn’t be worried either, right? The sun and moon were both behaving normally now, meaning two things: Celestia and Luna were taking their jobs seriously, and Nightmare Moon had been vanquished. So all’s well, right?

But still, something about the situation bothered her.

And besides, when was Twilight coming back?

Rainbow began to seriously consider flying back to Canterlot on her own, just to check up on things.

At that moment, however, one of Canterlot’s pegasus guards landed just outside of Fluttershy’s lawn.

“Why hello,” said Fluttershy. “What brings you here?”

The guard opened a saddlebag and brought out a scroll.

“Urgent message for Fluttershy,” he said. The guard then looked around, and took out a few more scrolls. “And it appears your friends are here too. Good—I have the same message to deliver to them.”

He passed the scrolls to Fluttershy, and took off.

Fluttershy and her friends opened the scrolls. Indeed, they all did basically say the same thing.

Dear [pony],

You are cordially invited to the wedding of Miss Ditzy Derpington Doo

and Dr. Time Turner Hooves. The event starts tonight at 7:30PM,

although I would appreciate if you could arrive by 5:30 or earlier.

(The next train to Canterlot leaves Ponyville at 3:00.) Please do not

feel the need to dress up for the occasion.

Sincerely,

Princesses Celestia, Luna, and Twilight

“What the hay?” Applejack was confused. “This seems like an odd time to send a weddin’ invite, considerin’ the event’s today.”

“I know,” said Rainbow Dash, equally bewlidered. “And why doesn’t she want us dressing fancy?”

“And why’s she inviting us to this wedding anyway?” chimed in Pinkie Pie. “I mean, those two get married like every month or something.”

“Oh, isn’t this wonderful?” Rarity had just read the closing line. “Our little Twilight Sparkle is a princess now!”

The other ponies looked at her. We know, Rarity.

“I mean, I hope she’s coming back,” she appended sheepishly.

“This still doesn’t make any sense, though,” said Applejack. “Something’s not right here.”

“I think you’re right,” said Rainbow Dash. “I can’t quite put my nose on it, but something is definitely fishy.”

“Well, we can’t just not show up...” said Fluttershy.

“C’mon now!” said Pinkie. “We should go! Something tells me they need our help!”

Applejack looked at her friend. “Pinkie, would this ‘something’ be your Pinkie Sense?”

“Uh... maybe?”

After all this time, Applejack still didn’t quite believe in the Pinkie Sense.

In the end, the five ponies decided the best thing to do would be to follow the letters. They agreed to meet at the train station by 3 o’clock.

·


·

*flap flap*

*land*

*walk walk*

“President Zeldo! I have returned from Eques—”

“I’m afraid she isn’t here at the moment.”

“C-commander Meldo! What are you—”

“You have just returned from Equestria, correct?”

*nod nod*

“What is your report?”

“M-my re—”

“Yes, you moron. What happened during your visit?”

“W-well, I met with Princess Twilight—”

“Twilight?”

“Yes, Princess Twilight. And we—”

“Just this Twilight character? Nopony else?”

“Correct, sir. She was the only royalty I saw.”

“No sign of Celestia or Luna?”

“No, sir.”

“Well then.” A smile crept onto Meldo’s beak. (Don’t ask how, okay?) “Sounds like that old mare Celestia’s finally left. Or maybe she’s dead, I don’t really care.”

He chuckled. “And I’ll bet her flunky sister ditched Canterlot at the first sign of trouble.”

“Uh, Commander, we don’t know if—”

“It’s settled. Celestia’s gone. We attack at dawn.”

“Um...” Galdo backpedaled.

“And just where do you think you’re going?”

Galdo couldn’t take it anymore. He finally decided to grow a spine.

“To find Zeldo, you incompetent, war-crazy buffoon!”

“What did you just call me!?”

Galdo flew off. Meldo gave chase.

Meldo is big and muscular and tough-looking.

Galdo is little and skinny and very good at flying.

(I mean, that’s part of his job. The flying part, anyway.)

Meldo decided it wasn’t worth it (meaning, of course, he realized there was no way he could catch the speedy ambassador), and returned to Zeldo’s otherwise-vacated office.

He then straightened himself up, combed his feathers, and left to summon the troops.

·


·

The train ride to Canterlot was barely two hours, but it felt like forever.

The ponies knew something was up. They didn’t know what, of course, but that just made it all the more stressful for them.

Rainbow Dash sat in the corner of the train car, reading her letter over and over again.

It’s so odd for the royal sisters (and Twilight) to send something like this. Fancy wedding, but don’t dress up? And show up two full hours before the doors even open?

Rainbow didn’t know much about weddings, so maybe the two-hours thing was normal. But the rest of it was definitely strange. And she knew for a fact you’re supposed to send invites early—you don’t tell ponies about a wedding the day of!

The more she thought about it, the more she couldn’t shake the feeling—it was almost as if the princesses were trying to tell them something, but couldn’t risk stating it outright.

But what it could be, she hadn’t a clue.

·


×

Author's Note:

Ooh, lotsa stuff happening!