• Published 16th Dec 2012
  • 1,146 Views, 13 Comments

My Fair Twilie (Book 2/3) - AdrianJNovelle



With her horn destroyed and her body lame, Twilight must now start her new life as an acting earth pony. How will she cope with her new circumstances? Will love guide her through her darkest hour?

  • ...
16
 13
 1,146

Chapter 1 - The Dream

The party was a hit. Twilight was the guest of honor. As such, she gave a speech shortly after her arrival at Sugarcube Corner, informing everypony about her tragic accident and about her horn. Since she's a true-born unicorn, Twilight still possessed magic within her. There would always be essence inside her. But, without a real horn, she would be unable to release any externally, which is known quite well as the casting of a spell.

During the party, she began to learn how difficult this experience would be for her. She was so used to levitation that she actually tried lifting up bottles of soda into cups with her horn like she always did absentmindedly. It took her several moments of concentration to remember that she could not do that anymore, and she was forced to grab the bottle with her mouth, pour it manually, and set it back under the expectation to not spill anything on the tablecloth. She managed, but it seemed so laborous compared to the effortlessness of magic.

As the party went on, she became all the more discouraged when brainless tasks became challenges, including teleporting and opening and closing doors. She felt obligated to stay for the whole event, being the guest of honor and all. When the celebration finally ended, she offered to help Pinkie Pie clean up, but was reminded that she could not simply pick everything up and throw it all into a trashcan because she lacked magic. Pinkie Pie let her, but immediately, Twilight refused. She apologized, gave her farewell to her friend, and took off back for home.

When she got to the Library, she climbed the stairs to her balcony and positioned herself in front of her telescope. It was dark out - the party having lasted several hours - and the sky was now full of bright, twinkling stars, some of which were shaped in comparison to the stars on Twilight's flank. A smile had not been on her face since she arrived at the party, and staring at the stars was, to some surprise, not helping. Discouraged and wondering how she bathed considering she lacked a bathtub, Twilight climbed down from her balcony (very painfully) and limped into bed, pulling her blankets over her body. She closed her eyes, and drifted off to sleep.


The next morning when she woke up, Twilight felt lethargic and limp. In her words, "I'm fine," meant "I don't need to go to the emergency room." Which was true. But her pain was undeniable. She was too weak to get up and tried to fetch a book with the magic of her horn, remembering that she was not a unicorn anymore moments later. She asked Spike to instead retrieve the book for her, informing him that she was incapacitated. He displayed his sympathy for her pain as he delivered her the book. Twilight appreciated Spike's sympathy, but also understood that no amount of sympathy was ever going to liberate her.

Twilight dove right into the book, reading nonstop until she got hungry, where she finally gathered the strength to climb out of bed, limp downstairs, out of the Library, to the restaraunt across the village, and then back to the Library after her meal.

She grunted as she eased herself back into bed. "AUHH! This sucks!" she exclaimed exasperatedly. "I'm not sure which is worse: the inability to cast spells, or the inability to move!" she thought about that. "The inability to move."

"I know it must be very painful, Twilight," Spike said calmly. "But it won't last forever. Sure you brutally landed on your hooves after you finished casting that spell which saved us all from King Sombra, but in a couple days, you'll be fine."

"I know that, Spike," replied Twilight just as calmly, her exasperation receded. "I've been sick before plenty of times. Just...not also powerless."

"I doubt that's helpful," Spike added, heading downstairs.

"Where are you going?"

"To Rarity's."

"Why?"

"Um...just 'cause. I'll be back later."

Spike exited the Library.

Twilight collapsed in her bed.

"I'm so bored!" she whined aloud. "I can't practice or study magic, I can't go for a walk around Ponyville - I can't even move!" She started to weep. "I'm just a useless body of pony flesh!"

She turned over, pulling the covers back over herself. She cried for several more moments, until she had cried herself back to sleep, having spent much of her already limited energy on producing tears.


Her last dream was merely a blur to her. She hardly remembered anything that happened. But this dream: this dream stuck with her. It was clear and vivid, and felt so real she could not believe her eyes.

Her dream began with her waking up in bed - but she was not in her home. She had actually slept on a puffy, yellow cloud in the shape of a bed with no blanket. She looked around, to find herself in the middle of a vast, empty room constructed completely of puffy, yellow clouds. She took a look at herself. Same lavender coat. Same sparkly cutie mark. Same dark-colored mane. Same useless horn. But she also noticed that she had a pair of wings about the size of Rainbow Dash's.

"I must be dreaming," she said.

"You are correct," spoke an ominous voice, sounding much like Princess Celestia's.

"Princess Celestia?" Twilight asked, looking around. "Wh-where are you?"

"I am at my throne, Twilight. But this magical place allows me to communicate with you anywhere."

"Really? Well where am I? And why do I have these intrusive wings? I'm a unicorn. Unicorns aren't supposed to have wings! That was proven when I gave my friend Rarity wings and she almost plummeted to her death."

"You have wings because you chose to become a pegasus, Twilight."

"I never chose to be a pegasus! When did that happen?"

"When you came here, after you broke your horn. You hated being an earth pony with a horn, so you told me you wanted to be a pegasus when you got here, so I found you a nice place to live and gave you a pair of wings so you may experience being a pegasus."

"I don't want to be a pegasus! I want to be a unicorn, and unicorns are not supposed to have wings!"

"You don't like being an alicorn without magic, Twilight?"

"No, I don't! And for the last time, where am I?"

"You haven't figured it out yet? I know you're a very smart pony, Twilight Sparkle. I cannot believe it has taken you this long to figure out where you are."

Twilight took another good look around her environment. Everything - everything was made of clouds. She took off from her bed and flew to the entryway of her room, where she was able to further assess the perimeter. Everypony around her could fly or walk on clouds and those who were unicorns possessed unlimited magic, and nopony ever seemed to tire from anything.

It hit her.

"Am I in...pony heaven?" she asked the ominous voice.

"That you are, Twilight. I just knew you could figure it out."

"Wait! Does that mean I'm dead?"

"If that's what you believe."

Twilight freaked out. Her pupils shrunk. She began to prespire and tremble with fear.

"Oh no! Oh no! Oh no! I can't be dead!"

"Well you are. But don't feel badly about it, Twilight. You're in a much better place than Ponyville. I don't know why you chose to be an alicorn if you hate having wings, but try out your horn - you're magic, Twilight Sparkle."

Twilight calmed, somewhat relieved to hear that phrase which she could swear she heard before. She used her magic in an effortless attempt to remove her wings from her body. Sure enough, one zap later, and her wings were gone.

"I...I have magic?" she could hardly believe what she just witnessed.

"That you do. After all, there is almost nothing in Equestria you loved more than magic. So of course I gave it back to you when you died."

"But...I don't wanna be dead," said Twilight softly.

"I'm afraid it's not a matter of desire," replied the ominous voice.

"This is stupid!" she shrieked. "I don't wanna be dead just to be magical! I wanna live! I'd rather spend eternity without magic if it means I get to be with my friends in Ponyville!"

"If you want to be alive so badly, then why don't you just wake up?"

"Wha-?"


Twilight jerked herself awake, breathing heavily from the horrible nightmare she experienced. She did not moved until she calmed herself. Then she looked out her window: dawn was soon approaching. She had slept the whole day. She tried to levitate the book she had dismissed to the floor with her horn: no use. She was definitely awake now. Her body had healed well overnight, and she felt considerably less pain than the day prior. She was still physically limited and magically impaired.

But at least she was alive.