• Published 13th Dec 2012
  • 970 Views, 24 Comments

Child of the Forest - Eeyuppers



After his family was killed by the local wildlife of the Everfree, a young foal was forced to endure the hardships of living in one of equestrias most feared places.however, the Everfree cannot hide its child forever...

  • ...
1
 24
 970

The Everfree is no place for a foal

Child of the Forest
Chapter 1
“The Everfree is no place for a foal”

I’m sure that you’re all familiar with the land of Equestria. From quaint Ponyville, to the towering spires of Canterlot castle, everypony seems to want a part of the proverbial equestrian pie, and honestly who can blame them. It is a land of colour, friendship, love and most importantly peace. So who can blame Discord for wanting to regain his throne of chaos, and who can blame Queen Chrysalis for wanting to have control over, in the changelings eyes, and all you can eat buffet of love. Truly this is a nation to be envied.

But, despite the apparent peace, which for the most part is true, there is still danger in this land. One such example of this danger is the Everfree forest. This is a place that the ponies of Equestria view with an almost apocalyptic fear, except for maybe three fillies who view the forest as a great opportunity for cutie marks. But their story is for another time, for now we follow a figure that runs through the dark menacing trees of the Everfree. The shadows of the forest are welcome allies to this figure.

The sound of clopping hooves can be heard coming from this shadowy figure, confirming its species as one of the Equine nature, though without the wings of a Pegasus or the horn of the unicorn to aid in its apparent frantic run, It must rely on its earth pony instincts alone to escape its unseen predator.It could feel the vibrations in the earth itself coming from the advancing hoard of hungry predators that as of the moment escaped its sight

This predator soon becomes apparent however as a bone chilling howl pierces the relative quiet of the forest, and the figure turns around in fear to try and spot the creature, but to no avail. The figure can however hear the alarming close breaking of twigs and the rustling of branches. This causes it to increase its efforts two fold and it soon breaks out into a mad gallop.

However, the brave effort of this earth pony is in vain. As it enters a clearing, features of this pony become ever clearer in Luna’s moonlight. A mare with tan fur with a mix of yellow and green for her mane, she collapses out of exhaustion, as she has been running from the predator for a prolonged period of time. She is covered in scars and lacerations, the most apparent of which ran across her flank, cutting a cutie mark of now indiscernible meaning. Should she survive this encounter, the hair and mark will grow back, but the likelihood of that occurrence was becoming more and more slim by the minute.

However, the most important thing on this mares being was a small foal, male and barely a month old it had a darker brown coat colour, with a scraggly brown and green mane. Its eyes shone against the moonlight as it looked around in fear for the unseen predators. It had not yet reached the stage where it could talk, but by now it could virtually take care of itself if needed. This was the reason that the mare was running, to try and get this foal to safety. The mares mate had already been killed by the predator, in a valiant but futile attempt to slow the predator’s advance. Though he managed to stall the beasts, it was only a matter of time before they would catch up the the mare and her precious cargo

The mare looked around frantically for an escape route that would lead her to relative safety, a tree, a house, she would even settle for a hole, but alas the clearing had left her exposed, and the predator had finally caught up. Several pairs of sickly yellow eyes pierced through that darkness of the trees from all directions, and proceeded to surround the mare, showing them to be Timberwolves, predators below only the ferocious Manticore and the deadly Cockatrice. This particular pack was getting quite tired of chasing this illusive meal, and they planned to make the kill quick so they can stalk easier prey.

The mare panicked, and in a mad dash, ran at one of the wolves in attempt to pass it and run back into the relative safety that the foliage offered. However, the wolf simply knocked her back, which had the added effect of knocking the foal into the undergrowth, thankfully out of sight for now. The same could not be said for the mare though, as the wolves closed in on her and make her escapes even more unlikely. Distracted in the moment, the mare did not notice that her foal had come lose and jumped swiftly through a gap in the wolves.the wolves growled in anger and soon took up chace once more.

The foal was watching the scene unravel with wide eyes, and as its mother escaped without it, it was about to cry out for her, before a scream of pain was heard. The foal kept its mouth shut, for fear of being discovered, and spotted a hollow tree trunk it could hide in. the foals brown colouring helped keep it hidden as it approached the tree trunk, and it was practically invisible. The foal was young, but it was well aware of the fate that had befallen its mother, and the triumphant howl of the Timberwolves only further accentuated that fact that it was now alone. The foal curled up into a tiny ball, and closed its eyes, hoping that the wolves would not find him once they were done with its mother, and cried it to sleep.This foal, though it does not know it has a big future ahead of him, and he will have to survive many hardships to achieve this destiny. But first he must survive the night.

As a wise pony one said “The Everfree is no place for a foal”

Author's Note:

All right, this is the prologue of my first fan fiction, so don’t hold back, let me know if this sucks, of If the horrible grammar burns your eyes out, because I will only learn through error.
Expect slow updates, as I am lazy and only write when I feel like it