• Published 9th Dec 2012
  • 3,835 Views, 141 Comments

Friendship is Magic: The Covenant War - dragonfang33

  • ...
22
 141
 3,835

Chapter II: First Encounters

Chapter II

First Encounters

Location: Ponyville, near the border of the Everfree Forest, Year of Luna 0001 (Earth Year 2542) a few hours later

The six ponies shuddered as they gazed into the darkened forest, for those who had lived in Equestria long enough the Everfree Forest was well known, many stories surrounded the forest, some were simply trivial how the animals and plants grew and took care of themselves, without the need of Ponies taking care of them, others were far more ominous, rumors that Nightmare Moon's followers had taken refuge in the forest after her defeat by Celestia and the forest had devoured them whole.

"MMMaybe this isn't such a good idea," Fluttershy whimpered, of all the places in Equestria, she hated the Everfree Forest most of all, mostly because the animals always shunned her kindness.

"I know it's scary for you Fluttershy," Twilight replied, trying to calm her frightened friend, "but we have to find that ship."

"Especially if we're going to have a chance of stopping them Covenant Varmints," Applejack added

"BBBBut what if they're Covenant too," Fluttershy whimpered, her friends looked at each other, looking as though they had all seen ghosts. Fluttershy had asked the same question at least three times before, and still there was no response. None of them had been at the first ship's crash site; they didn't see the Covenant for themselves, all they knew was they were powerful enough to take down Celestia, the most powerful Alicorn of all time, with a single shot.

"It's a chance we have to take," Twilight finally said, "girls I can't ask you to go in there with me..." Rainbow cut her off.

"Luna wants us all to go," Rainbow said, "and there's no way we're letting our friend go Alien hunting alone."

"Besides," Applejack added, with a heavy sigh, "if there's any chance of helping my kin in Manehatten it's in there." Twilight wanted to protest, but before she could say anything her friends had already made their way into the forest.

"Ugh," Twilight groaned, following them.

Location: City Hall, Occupied Manehatten, Covenant Territories, Year of Luna 0001 (Earth Year 2542)

Thel sat in the ruined library, hanging his head low. He could hear the cheers of his fellow Covenant warriors, as they raised the Covenant's battle standard over the city, yet for Thel all he could see were the shattered remains of dead Heretics, he'd seen his brothers throw away everything that made them Sangheili, massacring civilians who had simply tried to surrender, killing children for fun, during the attack on the city he at times couldn't tell his Sangheili brothers from the other filth that made up the Covenant's army.

"Tis the law of the Covenant," Thel said, to himself, anything to try and put his brother's disgraceful actions from his mind, even if it was just so he'd be able to sleep that night, "These creatures desecrated the sacred relics, they need to be made examples of." Saying it out loud though, only increased the doubts Thel had, once the Covenant was proud and honorable, it gave its member races hope, pride and above all purpose, but now, it felt as though the Covenant whose military Thel had so eagerly joined was nothing more than a farce, the war with the Humans had done more damage than any dared mention, it had destroyed the very spiritual heart of the Covenant.

"Shipmaster," a Kig-Yar said, snapping Thel out of his trance, "The Arbiter requests your presence." Thel didn't say anything, execution for treason was preferable to having to face his brother again, but to strike the Arbiter down would only make him a martyr in the eyes of the Council. Thel didn't even look at the Kig-Yar as he made his way to the former mayor's office. There gazing out the window at the burning city was the Arbiter.

"Look at it brother," the Arbiter said, with a cold smile, "Today we've made history; the foundations of a new Covenant are laid."

"But at what cost," Thel inquired, angrily. "Do we sacrifice what separates us from the others, especially the Jiralhanae?" The Arbiter simply turned away.

"You always lacked vision brother," the Arbiter groaned, finding it next to impossible to address his brother as his brother, "Under the Hierarchs we have grown stale, outdated with the universe, our war with the Humans is proof of that, we're relying on blind faith to guide us to victory in this war, exterminating those who should be bowing before us. But here on this world, we can build a new, reform the Covenant as it should be, where we, the people of the Covenant are the ones worshipped as Gods, not the phantoms of the Hierarchs."

"Tread lightly Arbiter," Thel groaned, "you speak not only heresy but treason."

"As much as I would love to settle our differences Shipmaster," the Arbiter replied, one strike with his energy sword was all that was needed to silence Thel once and for all, but Thel was too valuable an asset to lose "that is not why I called you here," Thel remained silent, he didn't want to speak with his brother more than needed, "I've been informed we sustained a causality."

"Yes sir," Thel replied, angrily, "A Ugganoy got too close to an enemy encampment in the south and an archer managed to shoot an arrow through the kinks in his armor, before the other members of his scouting party took out the encampment. The wound isn't severe but he'll be in medical for the next few days. Our patrols in the city are reporting the Heretics we have yet to capture are either forming roving bands to block our advances, fled the city or are in hiding."

"Such is the way of war," the Arbiter groaned, "still we can ill afford causalities of any kind given we don't know how far the Lands of the Heretics spread, and especially if that Human cruiser followed us. Any other news from our patrols outside the cities?"

"Nothing new," Thel replied, angrily, "the main Heretic army has been digging in along the border. Mostly barriers made of rocks and trees, manned by a few dozen or so of their soldiers armed with bows and arrows, and spears, however Redeemer Wing reported encountering a large shield encompassing the much of the line. They took few shots at it, but they were unable to punch through it." The Arbiter simply smiled. At last the Heretics were whiling to offer him a challenge.

"It seems we may have judged this new enemy too early," the Arbiter said, "increase the patrols in the city and finish rounding up the Heretics that remain, also authorize airstrikes against enemy strongholds and instillations not protected by that shield." Thel cringed at that thought, bows and arrows against Banshees, he could think of better ways to join the Gods then that, "one last thing Shipmaster, what's the status of any prisoners?"

"Awaiting processing sir," Thel replied, coldly.

"Offer them this choice," the Arbiter said, "they can either join our cause, or they can be our slaves." Thel felt his heart sink, slaves, Sangheili never took slaves, they only sought honor and glory in battle, there was no honor in enslaving a defeated foe, something the Covenant had lost sight of long ago. Thel simply replied with a "yes sir," as he took his leave. His mind made note of every word he'd exchanged with his brother, notes for future references.

Location: Everfree Forest, near the landing site of UNSC Midway, Year of Luna 0001 (Earth Year 2542), the next day.

"Ugh are we there yet," Rainbow moaned, "by now those Covenant creeps are probably marching on Canterlot itself." Twilight did her best to ignore her friend's comment.

"Oh relax Rainbow," Pinkie added, in her usual happy manner, "you should be looking forward to meeting new friends."

"Pinkie Pie," Rarity inquired, "how do you know these Aliens will be friendly."

"Simple Rarity," Pinkie said, "My Tail was twitching, my back hooves became achy and then my shoulders itched, that means we'll meet lots of new friends from the sky."

"Is that why you brought three bags of cupcakes," Twilight inquired.

"Yep," Pinkie replied, happily. Twilight sighed, they were simply suppose to bring ropes and nets to drop on any Covenant patrols, after Twilight had disarmed them with a levitation spell, but Pinkie being Pinkie just had to be different.

It was at that point the six mares got their first glimpse of the second Alien ship; its landing had created a 200 yard clearing in the middle of the forest, with the ship itself sitting in a small crevice, near a small river. Unlike the first ship, this one was almost pure gray, looking like a long hexagon shaped tube that had been fitted with a series of hexagon shaped rings. Along the side, near the stern were two large turrets, each housing a pair of massive cannons. Mounted in the bow were what Twilight could only assume were even more cannons. The only sign of color on the ship were the large white letters spelling out UNSC MIDWAY, painted across the front part of the bow, just above the glass encased bridge. In the center the Ponies could make out what looked like a ramp, however any thoughts of sneaking up were quickly put out of their minds when they saw two large four wheeled vehicles, each armed with a large cannon, parked near the crevice, the crews sitting beside them chatting, with what the Ponies could only assume were weapons, leaning against the vehicles, though what they were saying Twilight couldn't make out because of how far away they were. But suddenly Twilight motioned for the girls to duck down even lower, six more aliens had suddenly appeared, approaching from the nearby river bank, unlike the crews of the vehicles, these soldiers were clearly armed, two carried large cannons with some kind of telescope attached to the top, while the other three seemed to be armed with smaller weapons. Also unlike the vehicle crews these aliens' had their faces covered with a white visor, and had a large pouch strapped to their backs. However the far more intimidating figures were the two 7 foot behemoths that stood at the foot of the ramp, one was clad in dark red and grey the other in blue and silver, and like the other aliens their faces were completely covered by a visor, only this one was gold. The only thing that elevated some of their fear was the fact these massive armored figures seemed only armed with the same small weapon as the others.

"Well," Rainbow said, punch her hoofs together, "what are we waiting for, let's kick Covenant tail," before Rainbow had a chance to blow their cover, Applejack grabbed her by the tail.

"Whoa there nelly," Applejack said, "we can't just go running in there, I mean how do we know they're even with those Covenant varmints?"

"They're from space," Rainbow said, becoming agitated, "they have strange weapons, they have to be Covenant."

"Rainbow's right," Rarity added, "I mean look at those colors, red and gray just don't go together, and those other outfits a mess of greens and browns why no pony would dare go out dressed like that."

"Rarity," Twiight said, trying to get her friends to calm down, "I don't think those are clothes, they're wearing armor." Rarity simply gasped.

"Armor," Rarity said, in shock, "Armor is suppose to be worn by knights, bright, elegant and symbolic of heroism. Those things look more like ruffians."

"It's not that kind of armor Rarity," Twilight replied, "It's far more advanced than anything we've got in Equestria, and Rainbow we don't know what they're armed with. Attacking them would be suicide."

"Then what are we suppose to do?" Rainbow snapped, "just sit here and let them gather their army for an attack on Ponyville."

"Well we could try to talk with them," Twilight suggested

"I like the talking idea," Fluttershy added, as she scurried behind a tree. "I mean if it avoids any fighting." It was at that moment Twilight noticed something, or somepony missing.

"Girls where's Pinkie Pie?" Twilight asked it didn't take her long before she had her answer; the pink pony was skipping happily into the clearing where the alien ship had landed.

"Oh horse apples," Twilight grumbled, as she chased after her friend, hoping to catch her before the aliens spotted her.

Location: Bridge of UNSC Midway, Everfree Forest, Year of Luna 0001 (Earth Year 2542), a few minutes later

"Captain Ryan," McAffee said, addressing a middle aged red haired female officer, "I want your damage report." Captain Miranda Ryan had only recently been promoted to command the Midway, following her actions as the XO on the Dawn's Early Light during the Battle of New Titan, where she assumed command and guided the wounded frigate safely to friendly lines after the bridge crew and most of the officers were killed when the bridge of the Dawn took a direct hit by plasma from a Covenant turret, while taking down two Covenant destroyers, but at a cost. Her right arm had been severed when the bridge of the Dawn had been hit, and had since been replaced by a robotic prosthetic, the same hit had also sent shrapnel into her right eye, over which she now wore a black eyepatch. Ryan had been hesitant about Operation: Revenge, she'd already lost countless more friends to the Covenant, she wasn't about to allow it to happen again.

"There appears to be no significant damage," Ryan replied, "except for reports of tree limbs jamming some of the catapults. I've already dispatched repair teams to clear the debris."

"Good," McAffee said, turning to the next officer, a gruff UNSC Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeant. "Sgt. Rhodes what's the status of ground recon?" Gunnery Sergeant Isaac Rhodes was a man with a checkered past, serving first as a foot soldier for the rebels during the Insurrection Wars, before enlisting in the UNSC Marines when the war with the Covenant began, something those in the High Command never let him forget. His reputation however wasn't stellar, a maverick who only followed orders when the need arose. However he looked out for his men, and his troopers respected his lead from the front attitude, and he went out of his way to minimize civilian losses, but more than anything he won victories, the only reason he'd been assigned to the Midway as commander of her Marine and ODST detachments.

"Two Warthogs with four Marines each deployed by the crevice sir," Rhodes said snapping to attention, "Got a six man ODST Fire team patrolling down by a nearby river, shame there are no Covies to be found out here."

"Maybe that's a good thing Sgt." McAffee replied, "don't forget we're running as blind as the enemy," he turned his attention to the final officer, he was far taller than the others standing 7ft even in his black and red armor, on his shoulder was the Greek symbol for Delta, his face was ice cold, as reflected in his icy blue eyes, his black hair had been shaved into the standard military haircut.

"Lt. 201," McAffee inquired, "what's the status of Delta Squad?"

"Deltas II and V are deployed at the foot of the loading ramp," 201 replied, sounding almost robotic, "the others are in the hanger bay waiting for orders."

"And what would those orders be," Rhodes snapped, angrily. Ryan and McAffee both sighed; they knew what was coming next.

"This isn't the time Sgt," Ryan said. Rhodes was about to reply, when Elita interrupted him.

"Sorry to break up the fun," Elita said, "but Delta II has detected movement in the forest."

"Covenant," Ryan inquired

"Unknown," Elita replied.

"Sound battle stations," McAffee shouted, "Rhodes deploy three more fire teams, 201 I want the rest of Delta Squad deployed as well. Inform your men to take up defensive positions behind the crevice, as of now we're on weapons condition yellow. No one opens fire until we confirm the identity of the contacts, if they're Covenant well you all know what to do." The two soldiers simply replied yes sir.

"We're already dealing with the Covenant we don't need another war on our hands," McAffee grumbled, as he gazed out the window, "Elita please inform Sgt. Rhodes that if any of his men open fire without my permission, unless firing a warning shot or in self-defense, he'll be spending the rest of this mission in the brig." Before Elita could reply, one of the Marines crackled over the ship's intercom.

"Uh sir," the Marine said, with a hint of confusion to his voice, "You might want to take a look at this."

"Elita," McAffee said, "Bring up the portside exterior view." The AI didn't reply as view screen came to life, showing the area where the UNSC troopers had gathered, in the clearing, barely halfway between the Midway and the forest, were two brightly colored Ponies, one carrying three large sacks, with the other trying to pull her back into the forest.

"Elita," McAffee added, "are there any other life forms in the area?"

"Affirmative Admiral," Elita replied, "there are four more life form readings in the forest, and here's the strange thing, they're also Ponies. It's just a guess but those Ponies might be the planet's primary inhabitants."

"You have to be kidding," Ryan added. "A planet of multicolored Ponies?"

"AIs don't joke captain," Elita replied, Ryan turned to the Admiral.

"Well what now?" she inquired.

"Maintain current orders," McAffee replied, "only return fire if they make any threatening moves, otherwise only fire a warning shot if they try to approach."

Location: Clearing, near UNSC Midway, Everfree Forest, Year of Luna 0001 (Earth Year 2542) a few minutes later

Twilight had managed to tackle Pinkie about just as she was about to emerge into the sun.

"PINKIE ARE YOU CRAZY," Twilight asked, angrily, "then again why did I just ask that?"

"Oh Twilight," Pinkie replied, happily, "I was going to introduce us..." her comment was cut off by the sounds of weapons being readied to fire.

"Oh haystacks," Twilight grumbled, realizing for the first time they were now in the open, and there was little doubt they had been spotted. Slowly Twilight turned around, all of the Aliens had either manned their strange vehicles or had gathered behind the crevice, worst even more had emerged from the ship, and had joined their comrades at the crevice, and all of their weapons were trained on her and Pinkie, fingers on the triggers and ready to fire.

"You are surrounded by superior UNSC Forces, remain where you are and put your hands above your heads." One of the troopers shouted. Twilight immediately threw her hooves up, she had never remembered being as scared as she was now, the only time she'd ever come close to showing anything close to panic and fear was when she'd thought she'd be tardy with a Friendship Report. The silence that had descended over the clearing was suddenly broken by Pinkie's laughter.

"We don't have hands silly," Pinkie said, giggling, "so how can we raise our hands if we don't have any hands. Now that I think of it what are hands, I know we Ponies have hooves but hands, and how can we remain where we are if we have to move to raise our hooves?"

"Pinkie this isn't the time for your games," Twilight whispered. But Pinkie didn't listen, as she began skipping towards the UNSC line. The silence was soon shattered by what the lavender unicorn could only describe as a clap of thunder. She looked up at the line of troopers, and saw one of the weapons smoking.

"OH NO THEY DIDN'T," Rainbow shouted, from her hiding place in the forest.

"Easy does it Rainbow," Applejack said, trying to hold her friend back. "Whatever they threw at Pinkie it missed," she pointed into the clearing, where Pinkie was all but hovering over a smoldering hole in the ground. "Besides if they're weapons can do that I don't want to find out what they can do to Ponies."

"That was a warning shot," the trooper shouted, "if you attempt to move any closer we will open fire."

"Please," Twilight pleaded, "we don't mean you any harm, we just want to talk." Twilight's plea did little to ease the tensions, in fact the soldiers only seemed to grow more tense, and the looks to the faces of the ones who had no visors, only angrier. Twilight didn't need any amount of her intelligence to tell that she'd touched a nerve.

"Besides I only wanted to off you all some cupcakes," Pinkie added, as she pulled a cupcake out of one of her pouches. The troopers began to exchange looks of confusion. Cupcakes? Why were they offering them food? Was it a trick to get them to lower their defenses for a Covenant raiding party to strike? Or maybe they weren't Covenant after all. There was only one way to find out. 201 was about to make his way out of the crevice, when Rhodes, leapt out in front, not even bothering to exchange glances, let alone speak to the SPARTAN.

"Keep me covered," Rhodes said, as he made his way out of the crevice, and lowered his assault rifle, while still keeping his hand on the trigger. The other troopers didn't move, but only seemed to grow tenser. By now Twilight was sweating like crazy, what was this alien going to do? So far none of them had emerged from behind the crevice and they only shot when Pinkie got closer to them, and even then they didn't hit her.

"Hiya, you like cupcakes," Pinkie inquired.

"She didn't just ask that," Twilight groaned.

"Yes everyone does," Rhodes replied, with a confused look to his face.

"Oh goodie," Pinkie said, "you have to try some of Mr. and Mrs. Cakes Strawberry Cotton Candy mix, what are your favorites mines strawberry with lots of whipped cream on top and a cherry," a happy grin came over her face as she handed the Marine the cupcake.

"Command this is Rhodes," Rhodes said into his helmet mounted radio, "have the AI scan the cupcake." For Twilight it felt like an eternity, she couldn't understand who the Alien was talking too, were there more on that ship?

"Marines, ODST stand down," Rhodes shouted back to the Aliens in the crevice.

"Delta Squad stand down," 201 added. From her vantage point Twilight could see the soldier shoulder his weapon, while the others all began to lower their own. It was at that point Rhodes turned to face her.

"You can lower your," he paused for a moment, "hooves," his voice soon became colder, "you mentioned something about wanting to talk?"

"Yes," Twilight replied, hesitantly.

"Follow me," Rhodes replied, "and tell your four friends it's safe to come out."

"Friends what friends," Twilight said, trying her best to hide her other friends presences.

"The four that are hiding in the forest," Rhodes replied, coldly. Slowly Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity and Fluttershy emerged from their hiding places. Their faces showed absolute fear, even the normally brave Rainbow Dash, were they walking into a trap? Silence fell over the clearing, only breaking when Applejack finally worked up the courage to say something.

"How in tarnation did ya'all know we was there," Applejack inquired. Rhodes simply turned away.

"Talk to the Admiral," Rhodes replied, "now follow me."

"How rude," Rarity snapped, "ordering us around like a bunch of hooligans." Twilight elbowed her in the gut, before she could finish her statement

"We just got them to lower their weapons," Twilight said, noticing Rhodes' stone like gaze suddenly fixated on Rarity, he'd clearly heard everything.

"Listen here," Rhodes said, angrily, "the Corps may not be a bunch of Prince Charmings, but when you have a Covie Wraith chasing after you, you'll be glad the Corps has your back," he turned to Twilight, "now if we're all done trading insults I suggest we get back to the Midway." The look on Twilight's face suddenly changed, it was the first time she'd heard the Aliens mention the Covenant, and from the tone of the soldier's voice the Covenant clearly weren't well liked by these Aliens.

Location: Crevice, outside UNSC Midway, Year of Luna 0001 (Earth Year 2542), a few moments later

Pinkie Pie had entered the crevice almost as soon as the troopers had been ordered to lower their weapons, by the time Rhodes and the other Ponies had arrived, Pinkie had already handed out cupcakes to nearly all the troopers. Rhodes simply cracked a smile, the other soldiers couldn't help laughing at Pinkie's over the top antics, for many it was the first time they had something to smile or laugh about in months if not years.

"Why are you smiling she's just being Pinkie Pie?" Rainbow inquired.

"With all the news about how badly the war is going," Rhodes replied, "we all need a good laugh."

"You mean the Covenant attack here?" Twilight inquired, Rhodes raised an eyebrow.

"No," he replied, "you do have Holonet communications right?" Twilight was at a loss.

"What do ya'll mean by Holonet," Applejack inquired, "because if Twilight hasn't heard of it then we don't have it." Rhodes sighed.

"Humanity, us," Rhodes said, "have been at war with the Covenant for the last 20 years." The Ponies began to murmur amongst themselves, there were more Covenant and "Humans" then just the ships that were already here out amongst the stars, a war that had lasted for 20 years and both sides still kept killing each other? How could any species endure so much death and destruction for so long? However Twilight's mood began to brighten, so the Covenant did indeed have enemies, enemies that could hopefully become allies for Equestria. It was at that moment Delta II and Delta V approached the group, their assault rifles clenched tightly in one hand, and in the other a set of five blindfolds. Rhodes however simply walked past the two SPARTANs to rejoin his men.

"Admiral McAffee is waiting to meet with you," Delta II said, as he motioned for Delta V to handover the blindfolds, "for security reasons we're going to have to ask that you be blindfolded."

"Now see here," Rarity shouted, "I will not go around wearing a blindfold, besides gray doesn't match the color of my mane."

"Orders are orders," Delta V replied, as he tied the blindfold around Rarity's eyes.

"Watch it," Rarity whined, "You're messing up my mane." The SPARTAN sighed. Of all the Ponies, Fluttershy was the most intimidated; the sight of the towering SPARTAN, with his faceless visor scared her enough, but the thought of being blindfolded.

"PPPPlease don't," Fluttershy said, meekly, as she backed up.

"I have my orders," Delta V replied, coldly.

"YYYYYou don't understand I'm afraid of the dark," Fluttershy said, backing up even further.

"I know you're scared," Delta V replied, "but it will only be until we get to the bridge." Fluttershy fell to the ground, covering her eyes, small tears beginning to trickle down the side of her face.

"Listen uh Delta V," Twilight said, "maybe it's for the best if Fluttershy stays here with Pinkie." Delta V simply sighed, as he stood up, and made his way back to his team mate.

"Hey how come Pinkie Pie..." Rainbow inquired, before stopping herself midsentence, "oh right."

Location: Bridge of UNSC Midway, Everfree Forest, Year of Luna 0001 (Earth Year 2542) a few moments later

For the last few moments, as the two SPARTANS had led them through the Midway's main hanger bay towards the lift at the far end that would take them to the command bridge. The Ponies senses had been overwhelmed, by all sorts of alien sounds: engines revving, the sounds of saws and cutters as repair crews attempted to clear out all of the debris from the catapults. The odors of sweat, fuel oil, and exhaust from Longswords, Scorpions and Warthogs were enough to make some of the ponies want to gag.

"How do you people live like this," Rarity snapped, for the first time thankful that she was blindfolded.

"Hanger Decks and Repair Bays always are like that," Delta II replied, as they made their way onto the lift, "You get use to it after awhile." The lift made its way towards the bridge level. Once the doors had opened the two SPARTANS removed their blindfolds.

For Twilight the sight of the bridge was like she'd died and gone to heaven, terminals of every shape and size dotted, each manned by one or two technicians. In the center of the room was a large table, with a clear black surface, at the far end of which was a pedestal. She'd never dreamed anything this advanced could exist outside of science fiction.

"It's amazing that any species could build such a wonderful ship," Twilight said, to herself, "yet it's only purpose is to fight and kill."

With the exception of a small group of Marines, posted on either side of the lift, along the walls, and near the front, most of the bridge crew wore either solid green or white uniforms. This was the first time the ponies had gotten a good look at the Humans, and outside of their armor the Humans didn't seem all that intimidating.

"Ugh," Rarity said, "those outfits are even worse than the ones these, what are they called again? SPARTANS, Marines, ODSTs are wearing; no pony would dare go around wearing just one color, especially white or green."

"That's standard issued for all UNSC Military Personnel," one of the two figures standing at the front of the bridge said, "now I believe some explanations are in order, first who are you and where are we?" Twilight didn't know how to respond, she wasn't use to having to play diplomat.

"My name," the lavender unicorn said, trying to sound confident, "is Twilight Sparkle," Twilight began to blush as some of the crew began giggling, "these are my friends: Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash. My other two friends, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie are outside with the rest of your soldiers. As for where you are, this is Equestria." McAffee and Ryan looked at each other, then again the name of the planet seemed to fit the inhabitants and as far as the UNSC was concerned this was unexplored territory.

"Now it's our turn to ask the questions," Rainbow shouted, pointing her hoof at the Admiral, an action which prompted the Marines to aim their assault rifles at her, however the Admiral motioned for them to stand down. "Who are you people and what are you doing here?"

"William McAffee," McAffee said, coldly, "Admiral Fourth Fleet, United Nations Space Command, and supreme commander of Operation: Revenge."

"Miranda Ryan," Ryan said, crossing her arms, for the first time the ponies noticed her right arm was made up of machinery, "Captain United Nations Space Command, Commanding Officer of the Valiant Class Super Heavy Cruiser UNSC Midway."

"As for why we're here," McAffee continued, turning once again too gaze out the window, "we were conducting an operation in the Avalon System with the intent of capturing a Covenant CSO Class Carrier. While we were successful in destroying the carrier's escorts and supply ships, and caused heavy damage to the carrier, it managed to slip into subspace, and we've been following her ever since." he motioned for Ryan to activate the Holographic Map in the center of the room, and to the Ponies amazement a 3D image appeared on the table, they almost all recognized the ship the image formed, it was the same ship they had seen crash the night before the Covenant attacked.

"SO YOU'RE THE REASON THE COVENANT ARE ATTACKING US," Rainbow shouted, with tears in her eyes, "YOU BROUGHT YOUR WAR TO OUR WORLD." Once again Applejack had to hold Rainbow back. Every Human on the bridge suddenly had their attention fixated on the cyan Pegasus, many remembered the fires they had detected prior to entering the planet's atmosphere and the signatures of Covenant weapons grade plasma, no not even the Covenant would go so far as to attack a neutral party.

"What did they do?" Ryan inquired. Twilight found it hard to form the words, the memory of that letter announcing Princess Celestia's death was still too much to bare.

"They," Twilight stammered, between sobs, "they killed our Princess when she tried to talk to them, and now they're attacking our cities, burning everything and killing or enslaving any Pony that gets in their way. They say our destruction or enslavement is the will of the Gods." The bridge fell silent, only a few murmurs could be heard "Blasted Covies." "My god it's Harvest all over again." McAffee removed his hat, and sighed, he still remembered how the war had started, how Humanity had offered to negotiate with the Covenant and how those negotiations turned into firefight that escalated into a bloodbath that reduced Harvest to little more than a ghost planet, he also remembered how the Covenant had broadcasted the same message to Humanity at the start of the war.

"I'm sorry," McAffee said, "spreading our war with the Covenant to your planet wasn't our intent the enemy simply made a blind jump and all we did was follow hoping to complete our mission before they landed," he slowly replaced his hat, "but that's all in the past, we now share a common enemy, the least I can do is offer to negotiate with your government for an alliance on behalf of the UNSC." Twilight didn't know what to say, was this a trick to draw Luna out into the open so they could finish what the Covenant started? Or where they being sincere?

"Twilight it has to be a trick," Rainbow muttered, "Don't forget these guys are why the Covenant is attacking us."

"But them Covenant varmints are also attacking these Humans," Applejack added, "don't forget I still have family trapped in Manehatten, and if these fellas can help get ma kin out I say we give them a chance." Twilight simply lowered her head. Her mind filled with countless what ifs. Finally she looked Rarity in the eye.

"Tell Spike to send a letter to Princess...I mean Queen Luna," Twilight said, "asking her to come to Ponyville at once, we may have found potential allies."

"But Twi.." Before Rarity had a chance to finish, Twilight cast a teleportation spell, and the white unicorn vanished. Needless to say the Humans were rather impressed, some even began to question if they were needed at all if this world's inhabitants could manipulate energy to the point of creating miniature black holes.

"Impressive," McAffee said.

"Yeah," Twilight said, trying to catch her breath, "but using Magic to teleport somepony over such a great distance takes a lot out of the user."

Location: Canterlot Hospital, Canterlot, Equestria, Year of Luna 0001 (Earth Year 2542) a few hours later

The Palace Guard Division were scurrying about in a state of total confusion, trying as best they could form a defensive stance, as Luna and the pink and purple Alicorn beside her made their way into the hospital. Princess Cadence had just returned from visiting her husband at the newly christened Celestia Line, and the news was even grimmer. The Covenant were on the move in the north, Trottingham had been leveled by a massive Covenant war machine, and the population either captured or executed, Appleheim and Barnlin had fallen, and their populations had either been captured or fled before the Covenant attacked and Batltimare was under siege, by Covenant artillery. The reports only seemed to get worse, at Barnlin, the entire 600 strong Barnlin Garrison had only managed to inflict 12 casualties on the enemy, before all but 8 were wiped out. Covenant Aircraft were bombing all areas of Equestria, even those behind the Celestia line, with the Pegasus Cities bearing the brunt of the onslaught. But even Canterlot itself wasn't immune a Covenant Phantom had hit the shopping district earlier in the day, but fortunately no casualties were reported.

The state of the trains that filled Canterlot's main rail terminal told the full story of what was happening in the north, the first trains carrying the wounded and refugees from the Covenant Occupation Zone had arrived in Canterlot. Some trains bore the marks of Covenant plasma or laser fire, others had cars that were completely gutted by fire, all signs that the Covenant had been attacking them all the way to the Celestia Line.

Luna and Cadence tried to maintain their royal demure, as they made their way through the hospital, inspecting the patients who'd been brought in. The doctors and nurses had never trained for anything of this magnitude or for treating wounds like these. The sight of Ponies covered in burns, with limbs severed, their beautiful coats drenched in their own blood, their ear splitting screams echoing throughout the hospital. From the corner of her eye Luna could see a nurse Pony simply standing there, with nothing but a shocked look to her face. Luna motioned for one of her guards to escort the Nurse out of hospital, however the moment the guard came within a hair of the Nurse she immediately freaked out, forcing the guard and a few of the orderlies to restrain her.

"Has it really come to this?" Cadence inquired. She'd once been the happiest of ponies, the filly she'd loved to foalsit for was now her sister-in-law, and she'd just married her beloved Shinning Armor. Now her husband was away at war and she had no way of knowing if Twilight or the others were alright.

"Tis not thy doing cousin," Luna replied. Before Cadence could reply, another guardspony came rushing in.

"My Queen," the guardspony said, kneeling before Luna, "a message has just come from Ponyville." Luna and Cadence both felt their hearts sink, had the Covenant attack Ponyville?

"What message?" Luna inquired, trying to maintain her demeanor.

"The Unicorn Twilight Sparkle asks that you come to Ponyville at once," the guardspony said, "she has located the second Alien ship, and said its occupants are whiling to negotiate an alliance with us against the Covenant." For the first time since the alien ships had arrived, Luna felt her spirits lift, though part of her doubted that these new aliens wanted an alliance of any kind. For all she or Cadence knew they were walking into a Covenant trap.

"Cousin are you sure it's wise to attend this meeting," Cadence inquired.

"I know tis suspicious," Luna replied, coldly, "but as Queen of Equestria, tis my duty to ensure our people are protected," she gazed at the wounded Ponies in the hospital, "if we are to have any hope of stopping the Covenant's advance and preventing more needless loss of life, we need all the aid we can muster," she turned to one of her escorts, "have my chariot prepared for departure."

"As you command my Queen," Luna rolled her eyes; she still wasn't use to being addressed as Queen.

"Cadence," Luna said, calmly, "I need thee to remain here and help care for the injured," Cadence wanted to protest, but then she turned and saw the confusion and suffering and simply nodded.

"If anything should happen to me," Luna said, placing her hoof on Cadence's shoulder, "as my cousin you shall be my successor." With that Luna motioned for her guards' detachment to follow her, as Cadence turned and made her way back into the nightmarish hospital, in her mind if she could ease the suffering of just one of these ponies it would keep a small flicker of hope alive for the others.

Stay tuned for Chapter III: Alliances