• Published 5th Dec 2012
  • 2,295 Views, 34 Comments

Unexpected Ultimate Test - Kalreas



Celestia has plans for Twilight to bring her to her utmost peak of power.

  • ...
4
 34
 2,295

Deciding Conclusion

A single bright light, piercing through the eyelids of the Princess, was the last thing she saw.

Twilight was knocked off of the top of Celestia's body by Princess Luna. Frantically, she checked to see if her sister was alive, and thanks to her early arrival, she just barely was. She was clinging to life, but she had blacked out from the expectancy to die, along with the blood loss and exhaustion.

Luna turned to the lavender Unicorn that caused this, staring with more anger in her eyes than Nightmare Moon ever wished to have. Charging a spell, she slammed her right hoof on the stone floor and released the massive magic bolt.

Twilight, noticing the size and power behind it, had no choice than to cast a shield spell to protect what she could. The shield shattered before it could gain full strength, and the magic bolt was still leaving a trail of dust and rubble behind it, as it was headed straight for her.

Casting a self-shield spell instead, she hunkered down and poured her magic all around her body and hardened the shell. The spell worked its way through every crevice of the shield, and soon enough, it broke under the pressure, sending the mare unprotected into the magic, making her fly backwards.

Pain shot through her and incredible speeds, being carried by the spell all the way to the back wall. The wall would have been completely destroyed, had the power behind the spell not been deadened greatly by the shield spells. Still, Twilight slammed her entire body against the wall with great force, stunning her, but not knocking her out.

She was unable to move for some time, but she still had a great desire to get back everything Celestia made her lose. Her mind was set, her instincts were pulsing throughout her being. Standing on all fours, she looked up to see Princess Luna protectively standing over her sister, ready for anything.

Using the Royal Canterlot Voice, she spoke to Twilight from across the great hall.

"WHAT HATH HAPPENED HERE?!" She spoke, finally able to get a decent look around the room. Before Luna could react, she was being held in place by magic, and Twilight Sparkle was directly in-front of her.

Speaking softly, her voice distorted from expansion of uncontrollable magic coursing through her, she spoke five simple words into the ear of the Princess of Night. "Let the stars fall down." Using her magic further, she made a bolt of lightning strike the neck of the Alicorn entrapped within her magic.

Charging her own magic after regaining focus, she sent her own bolt of lightning to the horn of the lavender Unicorn, knocking her unconscious instantaneously. Luna, having received only minor injuries, had to command the guards to get in here and treat their wounds.

She expected a battle, but a small one only. She knew of the Royal Law when passing down the crown and throne, but she expected to be there when it all started. She wanted to help stop what she feared would happen. In all expectations, she would have thought they would have at least chosen a battle area.

_________________________________________________________

The morning sun's rays of light broke through the window's glass, forcing itself onto the soft eyelids of the lavender, slumbering mare. The rays of light made the eyes behind the lids stress, waking the mare they belonged to. The light caused further troubles, as the mare had to turn her head away from the window.

Several minutes passed as the intensity of the light increased slowly, waking the mare further. Reaching up with her front hooves, she rubbed her eyes slowly and cautiously, as to not hurt them. Opening her eyes, she gained view of the bedchamber of Princess Celestia.

The startling sight made her awaken instantaneously, causing her to move from her position on the massive bed she was laying on. She looked around in the room, and noticed that nopony else was around. Confused and dazed, she tried to get down from the bed, only to have pain shoot through her legs.

Falling to the floor uncontrollably, she fell down a few steps from the elevated bed she was previously on, causing her to land violently on several injury spots across her body before she finally came to a stop and screamed out in pain.

The door opened suddenly and quickly with a loud booming sound, when guards and friends alike came rushing into the room. One of the guards said something to the other, but Twilight couldn't quite make out any words. She heard voices, some she thought she knew, but she couldn't hear the words.

Being levitated by magic, someone set her softly atop the bed once more. It was only moments later that she felt the warm embrace of another body touching hers. Was she getting a hug from someone? She heard a voice.. almost as if it was asking her if she was feeling alright.

She couldn't do anything but wait for her body to regain everything it once had. Sight, hearing and speaking, being the main things that she waited for. The room was silent, except for the content breathing of several ponies in the same room.

"Apple..jack?" She said slowly and cautiously, her voice painfully straining to work out the word correctly. She thought she heard a response from the mare in question, but she couldn't regain her focus well enough just yet. Her sudden awakening, her fall, her injuries, everything was still working her down.

At some point, all she could see was darkness. She didn't know for how long, and she wasn't even sure she was still alive, but it felt like a dream. She saw nothingness, yet everything. She didn't know how long she laid there asleep, dead, whatever she was, but she awoke to still find her friends and Princess Luna standing around her. She could see their faces, she could hear their voices. Tears came to her eyes as she looked at every single one of them.. but Spike.

Spike was still gone, wasn't he? "Where's Spike?" She had the words slip from her mouth faster than she could hope to keep them in, and sad surprise and realization struck all of their faces. They stepped back and to the side, letting view pass of a baby dragon sleeping peacefully into her sight.

She let out a sigh of relief. Spike was still there. "What's wrong with him? He's usually happy to see me after this long." She was speaking the truth, or what she believed to be the truth to her at that time. They all stepped into her view once more, and she looked at every one of them, one by one to see if any of them had the answer.

"Twilight Sparkle..." Princess Luna spoke softly and sadly. "Do you remember anything from yesterday?" Receiving a thoughtful shake of head, Luna sighed and spoke once more. "You must follow me to where my sister lay. We have much to discuss."

Promising her friends that they'll see her again soon, Princess Luna helped Twilight to her hooves and led her out of the room. Soon enough, after thoughtful and anticipating walking, they arrived where Princess Luna's bedchamber was. Princess Celestia was found patiently waiting for them to arrive.

"Twilight Sparkle." She heard Celestia speak her name, her voice strained and raspy, just as her own.

"Yes, Princess Celestia?" She silently croaked out as best she could.

"Come lay with me, please."

Situated silently in the warm and comforting embrace of her mentor, she looked up at her face softly and sorrowfully. They simply laid there in silence for a few moments, peace enveloping them and causing a type of sadness to fall through the room.

"Luna, if you will." Princess Celestia spoke softly, reaching out her hoof.

"Yes, my sister. Twilight, you should know now that when two Alicorn sisters touch, they can hear the thoughts of the other. So what I say to you, is what Celestia is telling me to say to you." She finished her explanation and cupped the hoof of her sister with both of her own.

"Dear Twilight Sparkle." Luna stated solemnly, tears beginning to form in both of the Princesses eyes. "I wish I could tell you this personally, but all of the injuries across my body are too great for me to bear for very much longer, and my voice does not want to cooperate with me.

"Please, whatever you do, know that I've always admired you, my dear little pony. You may not have known how deep and pure my love was for you.." Luna paused and looked into her sister's eyes. "But I've always thought of you as a second sister.

"Knowing you, your friends and having the Element of Magic.. I could not have wished for a better student. You've surpassed every obstacle I've given you, and you and your friends have done many things that I could have failed." Tears were freely falling down the cheeks of all the ponies in the room.

"When I am gone, look after my sister. We have both already made arrangements over the years with all of the royal ponies of Equestria, and they are now convinced that I am no longer of use. As I've told you, I'm growing too old, and my power has dwindled down greatly.

"You are the only pony that I trust to take past my rule, my crown and my throne. You will rule over Canterlot and Ponyville yourself, and with your knowledge and understanding, you will do a better job than I ever had hoped."

Silence.

"Princess Celestia.. I..." Twilight tearfully tried to get her voice to work, but no matter how hard she tried, it would disobey her. One of Luna's hooves touched the hoof of the lavender mare, and the Princess and the Unicorn were able to hear each others' thoughts.

They were able to exchange last words, or thoughts, as they all came to the realization. Twilight put her ear up to the still chest of Princess Celestia. Silence passed through everything, the only sound coming from their breathing and their silent disbelief. Their silent hope.

Twilight Sparkle removed her head from her chest and focused on her eyes. They were still, dull and.. lifeless. She didn't want this to happen this way. She didn't-

"Twilight!"

"...Spike?" She didn't want to believe that any of this was really happening. This was all going on way too fast for her to comprehend. If Spike is awake, then that means... Princess Celestia is dead. Killed, murdered.. by herself.

"Twilight!" Spike launched himself onto her neck with a hug, thankful to see her again. "What happ-" His words were cut off when he looked at Princess Celestia. "Whoa!" His eyes widened and his arms flew defensively in-front of him. "What happened?!"

Twilight only sat there for a moment before looking to the body of her Number One Assistant. She couldn't look him in the eye, she could only state the cold, hard truth. "I.. I killed her." She turned away, tears pouring from her face faster than she ever could believe.

She walked alone, in silence and in pain, through the hall. She gained sight of her friends, and did her best not to confront them yet. She didn't want to see them like this. She didn't want to be seen at all. She was responsible for the murder of the Princess of the Sun.

Her head was stooped low, her depression of the reality of everything that had happened hitting her as suddenly as a magic bolt. She saw the great hall of the throne room.. it was nearly destroyed. Had her magic truly been the cause of this? This level of destruction...

"Twilight!"

She heard the voice of Rainbow Dash calling out her name. She turned to look at her friends that were now closing in on her. She simply waited in agony for the inevitable shock of the truth to settle in. All of her friends happily surrounded her, happy to see that she was alive and well.

"What's goin' on in there?" Applejack asked. Everypony waited for the response.. except for the one that held such information. "You all will have to understand me with open minds here.. but... I'm.. I'm resp-.. I-I'm responsib-blh.." Her voice failed her because of the intensity of her tears.

"Responsible for what, dear?" Rarity tried to coerce Twilight into speaking, but it only grew more and more difficult. Her sadness, her desperation, everything was fighting against her in her mind right now. All she wanted to do was to crawl into a ball and disappear from the timeline, then none of this would have happened.

Princess Luna walked from behind them to into view, speaking what Twilight failed to say. "She believes that she is responsible.." Everypony was looking at her for the answer now. "for the cause of Princess Celestia's death."

Silence. None of them knew what to say. None of them knew how to respond. They just simply looked at one another before turning their gaze onto Twilight, laying in the floor, sobbing. "B-but that... That don't make any sense, how does that work?" Applejack questioned furiously.

Holding out her hoof, Princess Luna spoke softly. "If you will, touch my hoof, and, using my Alicorn magic, I'll show you my memories." Slowly and cautiously, Applejack touched her hoof with her own, and memories of Twilight's white, radiant eyes appeared. It then shifted to the visage of Celestia laying bloodied and beaten on the ground. Passing through other memories, she saw and heard Celestia's final words. Finally, when Applejack was done and left speechless, she urged that the others should also see everything. Using a great deal of power, Luna showed every one of the ponies the events of the recent past through her memories.

They learned of Spike's condition, they learned of Twilight's power, they learned of Celestia's wish, and most importantly, they learned of the choice that Twilight was forced into so suddenly. "Well.." Applejack started. "How in tarnation is a pony supposed ta make a choice like that?"

Luna spoke to all of the ponies in general, but mainly to Twilight. "She was in a position where she had no choice but to do as she was asked. She had to fight for her friends, fight for Spike, and fight for Celestia. She needed the help of Twilight more than any of you know.

"Twilight has the greatest magical capabilities of any Unicorn in existence. She has more power than Celestia has-.. had.. with the last few days. Mundane tasks were difficult to preform, her mind was unstable and thoughtless. Her time as an Alicorn was over."

Mournfully, she turned away from all of the ponies and returned to the body of her sister. She had things to say, things to remember for the funeral.

Reluctantly, Twilight sat up and faced all of her friends. She expected them to be as confused as she was, and she wasn't disappointed.

"Twilight.." Applejack started again. "how are ya plannin' on workin' this out?" Honestly, she had no answer for that question. She never expected this to happen, and it all happened way too suddenly and quickly. Things were confusing, questions left unanswered, and.. she didn't have a clue on what to do now, after all this.

"I don't.. I don't know."

"Well whatever happens," Rainbow dash starts proudly. "know that we're all gonna stick by your side and help you through whatever you want. After all, that's what a friend is supposed to do, right? And besides, I'm not gonna be bailing out on you any time soon just because a little problem got in the way."

She crossed her hooves and stayed floating in the air while everypony stared at her.

"What? Oh, fine, this is a big problem. Princess of the Sun is-" She was jerked from the air to the ground by Applejack, silencing her from talking any more and causing any more trouble with Twilight's state of mind.

"Thank you all, but I think I just need time to recover. Both physically and mentally, heh. Do you all mind helping me back to a bed?" Thanking them when they carried her all the way there and let her get comfortable on the bed, she laid there thinking about everything.

They all said their goodbyes, leaving Twilight with some room to think about everything and prepare things with Princess Luna.

"Twilight! Are you okay?" Spike jumped up to the bed beside her and affectionately hugged her, trying to comfort her. The warm, comforting embrace let Twilight melt into his hold. Finally, some peace and quiet in the rush of these past few days. She didn't need to answer, and she basically couldn't before sleep claimed her.

Comments ( 25 )

1746557
Whew!!:twilightblush: you had me scared there for a second. I thought this was the full and complete chapter, let see how much better you made it. Post when you update. Blog it.

1746868 differ to previous post.

1746917 Will do. Thanks for understanding my mistake. :twilightblush:

1746927
It happens to the best of us. Human errors and all.

Well, thanks for shedding some lift that this will continue, I didn't get a chance to read it though... So... Yay?

Even if it wasn't suppose to happen, I liked the chapter:twilightsheepish:

1747455 Updated and improved version up now! :twilightsmile:

1747461 If I am not mistaken, that is one of the best comments I've ever gotten. :rainbowlaugh:

1747461
YUP....MY REACTION EXACTLY!!!
:rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:

1747515 LOL, I didn't even see you had commented on this story!:rainbowlaugh:

1746868 Tis better but I think you can still stretch the story....if you want:scootangel: EPIC chapter thou

YESSSSSSSSSSSS! SO AWESOME!

Much better, much much better!:pinkiehappy: Sad Twilight is sad!:fluttercry:
Anyways, great improvement and I must say the ending didn't leave much in wanting for some reason, sure you could follow up there's potential for future stories here, but this left off on a good note nonetheless.

1747522
Your comments made my day sir, thank you! :rainbowwild:

DID I BEAT REGIDAR!!! :pinkiegasp::pinkiegasp:

Sweet Celestia, how!?

1763070 Regidar doesn't look at stories from unknown authors that don't make it to the featured box. :pinkiesad2:

My feels... they hurt...

1771333 Crying Achievement Unlocked

..? :trollestia:

I must say, this is one of the better of stories I have read. You gained a like and fav :twilightsmile:

:fluttershysad::fluttershysad::fluttercry::fluttercry::applecry::applecry:
The feels hurt so bad

Mundane tasks were difficult to preform

Little typo.

Login or register to comment