• Published 3rd Dec 2012
  • 21,845 Views, 2,068 Comments

Myths and Birthrights - Tundara



Twilight has to deal with new powers and troubles as an Alicorn.

  • ...
80
 2,068
 21,845

PreviousChapters Next
Book Two: Chapter Five: Wrath of the Gods

Myths and Birthrights
By Tundara

Book Two: Duty and Dreams
Chapter Five: Wrath of the Gods


The village of Lourdes ground to a halt. Mouths fell open in unison and a wave of chilly disbelief swept across the market square. All eyes turned to stare at the gods standing in their midst. Some saw only Faust, her rust red mane caught in the breeze rolling down the mountains and through the valley. For others, the brothers were all they could focus upon, caught in a whirlwind of questions and conflicting emotions.

Those nearest threw themselves prostrate upon the ground and issued fervent prayers to their returned goddess.

Zeus had eyes only for Faust, trailing over her long legs and thin withers. She was a little too lanky for his tastes, attractive, though, in the eyes and with refined features.

“Brother…” Hades began in warning, but trailed off at the broad grin his brother carried like a banner.

“I tell you again; leave my world.” Faust struck her hoof upon the ground in a thundering blow.

Her essence crawled along Zeus’ wings and filled his nose with the scent of cardamom and spice. She was deep within the throes of her Domain, searching for something from the way her pretty blue eyes darted. Her presence caressed his face like a mid-fall breeze, gentle with the last fleeting traces of a tender warmth.

This only widened Zeus’ grin.

“Well, this is a fine greeting, if ever I’ve received one. You give my brother competition for having the most unwelcoming home. We have done nothing to earn your ire, madam. Made no attempts at usurping your place within these mortals’ hearts. We have started no cults in our own names.” Trotting in a slow circle, Zeus gestured towards the town with a sweep of one wing. Faust’s gaze followed the gesture, her expression growing ever more sour. “Had we knowledge of your location, we’d have sought you sooner.”

“The worship of ponies has never interested me, only that they are safe,” Faust countered, still searching her domain. “And you herald chaos and death. You must leave.”

“That is impossible,” Zeus replied with a slow shake of his head. “Our daughters have come to this world, and we would have them returned to us.”

“Daughters?” Faust’s eye locked onto something only she could see. She narrowed her gaze, peering at it as if she were trying to stare into the sun. “Ah, yes, them. They are known to my weave.”

Zeus’ smile vanished, replaced by a stern glare and pinched brow. His blood rose, and the next words rolled like thunder across the town square. “Explain yourself, madam.”

“There is little to… tell…” Faust clicked her tongue, and prodded the air as if to pluck an invisible lyre. “How…?” Whatever she saw or heard broke her spell. Blinking as if waking from a dream, Faust frowned, shook her head, and focused on Zeus.

An odd one, then, Zeus determined.

Straightening her shoulders, Faust said, “Leave this world. You will not find what you seek.”

Bristling, Zeus’ pulse quickened, and his hackles rose. He was not used to being spoken to in such a manner by any mare save his wives.

“You do not command me, for I am Zeus, King of the Gods, Last of the True Aethyir. He who cast the formless Quus into their eternal prison. He who imprisoned demonkind beneath Tartarus. And, he who granted the archons Elysium so that they may reward the faithful among mortal kind. There is naught another in all the cosmos, on all the worlds, in all the realms, who is my equal.” A truth rang in his words, a truth tempered by time and the shifting sands of history.

Faust did not hesitate or waver, however. A mare Zeus could respect, steadfast to her convictions.

“Calamity follows you, Zeus. You intrude on events that do not concern you. If you will not leave my world of your own volition, then I must make you leave by other means.” She lowered herself into a ready stance, hooves planted wide and jaw set with determination.

Yes, he liked this mare. She was an old god like himself and unused to being challenged.

If it was a fight she desired, than that was what she would receive.

He struck first, crossing the square in a pulse of the lightning he commanded. This was not teleportation, but speed, pure and raw. The mortals in the square were sent sprawling in his passage, unable to react or comprehend his movements. Awnings and market stands were sent tumbling, storefronts shattered, glass raining into the shops, and would have been deadly had not every pony come into the street to witness the alicorns. Dropping low, Zeus swept up his hoof in a swing as powerful as a tempest.

Barely did Faust have time to register the attack and tense before she was struck on the cheek and sent hurtling towards the distant end of the valley. Trees and a rocky outcropping were shattered in her wake, the latter sending her spinning until she struck the walls of the monastery. In the middle of afternoon prayers, the sisters were caught utterly by surprise as their walls burst around them and Faust came to a stop in the deepest sanctums. Such was the power behind the blow that the stone beneath Zeus were crushed to dust.

Blinking a few times, he turned to Hades and said, “That was disappointing. After all that bluster, I thought her to put up a little fight at least.”

“She is probably just deciding if that was the limit of your strength,” Hades countered, leaning up against the edge of the fountain, chin on hoof.

“Come now, she can not be so foolish as to believe that was a serious kick.” Zeus snorted and shook out his wings to loosen them. Momentary worry caught him, and he tilted his head. “Can she?”

Hades shrugged, and looked away with abject disinterest. Next to Hades, Soir trembled and shrunk within his shadow. The questions posed by the filly’s mere existence buzzed around Zeus’ head like a nectar-drunk bee. Zeus had hoped that with Faust’s arrival some answers could have been attained. Shame she was not the talkative type.

Instead, more questions had been tossed upon the pile. Questions, and concerns that twisted his insides.

“By my beard, what does she mean with this delay?” Zeus growled, narrowing his gaze down the valley. His hoof tapped with impatience. “Does she wish to fight or not? And what is this nonsense about weaves? Is she the goddess of tailors?”

A booming chuckle came from Zeus. He turned to see if Hades would share his mirth, but his brother was dour, as always.

“Ha-ha-ha! I have such a wit. ‘Goddess of tailors.’ Hera would have loved that one.” Zeus’ mirth faded at the thought of his wife. Impatience returned, grown a little more sour with Hades sullen silence. “Should I go see if she wishes to continue?” He tugged at his beard and frowned.

There was no need to go in search of Faust, as she came at him flinging magic with no other purpose than to destroy. A lance of ruby light tore apart all it touched, breaking the fundamental bonds that held all things together. It was among the most powerful of war-spells ever devised on Ioka, and nothing special to Zeus.

Slow and unwieldy, Zeus turned it aside with but a sweep of his wing, redirecting the deadly beam into the heart of Lourdes.

A long trail of destruction sheared through the town, buildings bursting into flames like oil soaked torches, thick plumes of smoke curling up into the blue afternoon sky. Hovering just beyond the town, Faust gaped in shock at the damage. She paled beneath her snowy coat, mouth pressed so tight her lips drained of all colour.

She tried the spell again, and Zeus let out a gruff sigh as he turned this one too aside, with identical results.

“Come, madam, surely that is not all you are capable?” He let out a jocular chuckle that hid his own diminishing hopes. “Or, are you but a fool? If you mean to challenge me, then give it your all.”

Faust again touched her domain, stronger this time, eyes rolling to the back of her head as she immersed herself in its power. Zeus almost regretted his failure to learn just what her domain entailed. Clearly nothing related to battle or warfare, from the poor showing she’d given him thus far.

He dipped a glance down to the streets on either side torn and consumed by Faust’s magic. Ponies ran back and forth, shouting at one another, calling for bucket brigades. A few bodies lay where they’d fallen, twisted and mangled where they’d been grazed by the lethal energies. Those struck fully were little more than ash drifting on the slight breeze.

Powerful, deadly magic, to be certain, but only against one unused to battle. Only somepony very foolish, or very inexperienced, would attempt the long sequence of runes, the obvious build-up of aether, and then letting it out in a straight, frontal attack. At least, against anypony conceivably their equal or better.

Still, Faust continued to hover, to hesitate.

He could think of no other reason for the delay. Patience growing ever thinner, Zeus took to the air. As he lifted himself on broad strokes of his wings, Zeus caught, out of the corner of his eye, Soir running off, and Hades not giving any pursuit of the filly. His brother just leaned against the fountain base with a thoroughly disinterested air. Finding the filly again would be easy enough. She could not get far.

Reaching out in the same manner as Faust, Zeus touched the skies, and the storms that lay hidden even within the most beautiful and calm days.

At first it was little more than a slight kick to the wind, one that grew and grew until the top of the trees bowed and there was a shrill whistle through their boughs. Dark clouds gathered, clumping above the town, and began to spin. The nascent storm sent its master a query, curious as to why it was being formed. Zeus responded with the rush of blood in his veins, and the song of battle that was the tempo set. Electricity rippled through the growing anvil head of the storm in response.

Faust shook her head, the connection to her domain lessening, but not gone. She looked around for Zeus, and found him standing on the leading edge of his storm, like a captain at the prow of his ship plunging into blood foaming seas.

“Come, Faust, let us play!” Zeus’ deep voice rumbled across the valley and lands beyond. “Let us see you cast me off this world.”

Dropping off the ledge, Zeus grabbed hold of the lightning growing in the storm’s belly. He hurled himself at Faust like the roaring storms he commanded. There was an utter lack of subtlety to his assault. Lightning wreathed his wings and mane, splitting ancient cedars and stone to a crackling refrain. Wind howled behind him like the breath of a monstrous chariot, and hail scoured the town, stripping bare those trees not torn apart.

Curious what she would do, Zeus loosed the first lightningbolt in a perfect mirror to the spells she’d summoned.

The thunderbolt could not be stopped, only turned aside. There came a tremendous ringing tone, like a dozen bells had crashed together, and a brilliant flash of the purest white pierced by an indigo lance. Two hundred miles away they saw the light and heard the refrain as Mount Ossau was cleft in twain from peak to base.

Zeus grinned. Perhaps this would be entertaining after all.

Soir ran through the chaos consuming her village as fast as her little legs could carry her. She darted around burning stumps, shattered trees, and sundered homes. Screams rolled across the town on a glowing red cloud of smoke. An older mare wandered, eyes glazed with shock, half her face a mess of burnt fur and dirt caked flesh. A colt cried alone, and was scooped up by a passing stranger. Lowering her head, Soir moved faster. She had to reach her mother.

In the distance beyond the valley, one of Faust’s ruby beams blazed through the building storm. The terrible, metallic ripping was hardly muted by the many miles. Like a monstrous sword, it slashed across once verdant fields. Plumes of dark ash bloomed in the deadly wake, climbing hundreds of hooves into the sky before falling in strangling clouds.

Zeus emerged from the cloud, spinning around the beam, and then firing a jagged fork of lightning up into his storm. On contact, the belly of the clouds came alive with ten thousand lances of brilliant blue-pink electricity. Forming spokes of a cage, vibrant bars that burned to look upon, lightning sought the disc and clawed into the heavens.

It were as if the pits of Tartarus had been torn open and the hellish wastes contained within let loose.

For the rest of their days, those who survived would wake from nightmares of the whistling screams proceeding each new blow. A spinning tempest formed over land in all defiance of the pegasi that came to halt its growth. Wind lashed trees bare, hail scoured fields and homes, and fire fell as rain, lighting the mountains with an abyssal reddish glow. Nowhere in southern Prance was left untouched by the fury of two gods battling in the fullness of their power.

Unsure what was happening, ponies ran to find help and seek shelter. Fire teams attempted to put out the flames, but it was a futile effort. Brittle from two years of drought, forests and fields went up like bundles of matches, sparks leaping from tree to tree like they were carried on the backs of cackling, mad sprites.

The noise was an unmatched din, voices screamed directly into the ear lost among the growing cacophony.

Far overhead, the embattled gods flew, Faust deflecting blow after blow that rang like a colossal hammer on a mountainous anvil. A blast of twisting green flecked with violet bursts sent by Faust was turned towards Lourdes’ school. Losing only a moment to surprise, Faust dove, putting herself between her own spell and the school, conjuring a golden disc to negate most of the crackling energies. Molten aether fell in thick, glowing globs, splashing and setting alight even the cobblestone roads.

Faust darted off soon as she could, Zeus giving chase. Their passage sent the ponies below sprawling. Struck on the side by wind as if she’d been bucked, Soir tumbled into a ditch, embers stinging her flanks and singeing the ends of her tail and mane. Her ears rang, and the disc lurched underhoof as she pulled herself up and onward.

By the time Soir found her footing, the battle had already moved back out of the valley.

Soir was alone on the road leading to her home. The houses were spread further apart than in town, isolated by small patches of farmland or pieces of forest stretching down from the mountain. Head lowered, Soir ran past the final home before her own; that of the miller’s herd. Wheel askew, slanting in the slough, Lourdes’ mill burned, the miller and his wives strewn before the threshold, unmoving among open sacks of their meagre personal effects.

Frightened tears staining her cheeks, Soir rounded the final corner. Her home in sight, Soir felt a flicker of relief. The cottage stood relatively unharmed by the warring gods, tiles stripped from one side of the roof, and windows broken, but still standing otherwise. The grounds around the cottage showed further damage, the gate hung askance, the top hinges broken, and small patches of fire clung to the shrubbery along the street.

“Mama!” Soir yelled at the top of her lungs, only for a deep percussion of some distant spell drown out her voice. She called again, short legs aching as they carried her the final few yards.

Jardin’s voice answered, panicked and hopeful in equal measure.

Then a belltower she did not recognise hurtled from the sky, crushing her home and the surrounding gardens in a single, cruel blow. Lifted off her hooves, Soir tumbled head over tail back along the lane. Her shoulder cracked against the rocks, and the disc spun violently. Stone and splinters rained down around her as she stared, dazed, up at the roaring storm.

Hail joined the debris, creating a deafening blanket of noise through which the distant blows of Faust and Zeus came in muted groans, low booms, and crackling howls. Winds came next, fanning the flames around the valley and lands beyond, driving them into wild firestorms. The rapid popping of pinecones, like a fireworks shop were setting off its entire stock, soon joined the incredible din.

Pulling herself up, Soir stared open mouthed at the rubble burying her home.

Bruised, tired, a heavy static curtain falling over everything so that all sound and even sight began to bleed away, she dragged herself forward.

“Mama?” she called out, hope against hope pleading for a miracle.

Jardin would emerge from the ruins, having protected herself with a shield in the last instant! Or, she teleported away on reflex.

Crawling over the pile of bricks and tiles, Soir failed to notice the thick, oily flames and smoke of an approaching comet. Picked up as it passed, she was sent tumbling down the rubble, flame dragging over her back and curling the ends of her fur. Her nose and mouth were filled with a searing wave as the comet landed only a few lengths away, casting up a shower of burning hot rock as it dug a shallow crater.

Haggard gasps pulled through cracked lips, Soir peered into the crater and felt her insides twist in horror.

At its center, Faust lay on sprawled wings. Burnt from nose to flank, her once glorious right wing was little more than a skeletal, blackened mess of cracked flesh and bone. The stink of burnt hair and skin assaulted Soir, and she had to cover her mouth to hold back the contents of her stomach.

Growling, Faust slowly sat up and crawled from where she’d landed towards Soir. Right eye as ruined as her wing, and ear little more than a melted stub, Faust was a horror to look upon. Wishing to scream, but unable to do more than whimper, Soir trembled as Faust grew closer.

Nearly at Soir, Faust attempted to stand, but could not and collapsed.

Good eye settling on Soir, Faust blinked, and let out a weak, almost manic chuckle. “Fitting, to see my greatest failure now. Come here, come here, Namyra.”

Faust beckoned with her good leg. Soir gulped, and heart beating heavy in her chest, she came close enough that Faust could reach out and touch her.

“How long have I dreaded this reunion?” Faust asked nopony, a delirious quality to her voice.

“But, we’ve never met,” Soir protested. The words escaped her with a distant, far-off quality, as if spoken by somepony else.

A short laugh turned into a hacking cough, and Faust shook her head slowly.

“Namyra, no, Soir,” Faust spoke, each breath taken with a long, wheezing rattle in her chest. Hoof trembling, she brushed back Soir’s mane, hooking it behind her ear. “I am so sorry for what happened to you. It was impossible to prevent and not cause a greater tragedy still. So much death… Ioka herself would not have survived. Only one path open… and… No! The foolish child. She comes too soon!”

Faust pushed Soir away, sadness in the goddess’ every aspect.

“Hide!” Faust commanded, “And seek the stars. Find Twilight. Only then can harmony be restored.”

Soir squeaked as she was thrust by Faust’s magic into a sheltered nook beneath what had been part of the roof of her home. A pile of bricks held in a ruddy glow fell across the entrance, sealing her within. There was just enough of a gap for Soir to peek out and witness the impossible play out before her.

Zeus swept in on a chariot of storm and cloud. At his side hovered a tall staff or spear, golden head glinting in the stoccata flashes of distant lightning strikes.

“This has been, sadly, less enthralling than I hoped,” he declared as his chariot came to a stop, hovering at the height of the tops of the trees that had once filled the town. “There is no shame in your loss. I am Zeus, and—”

He was silenced by a tepid beam of magic. There was none of the former screaming force behind Faust’s spells, and Zeus only had to shift his head a little to avoid the attack.

“Cease this nonsense.” Zeus’ voice had long since lost all its usual rumbling humour. “This contest is over, Faust. You have given it a good effort, and I have indulged you far longer than I should out of respect of one monarch to another, but this has long since entered the realm of absurdity. Look upon the destruction your arts have wrought. Surrender, and I will show leniency. I am not a god bereft of mercy. Do not force me to destroy you.”

“You do not understand,” Faust coughed, and forced herself up. Her legs wobbled from exhaustion and pain, and Soir had to stifle a gasp at the sight of Faust’s charred wing and side that had been hidden beneath her body. “If you do not leave, this world is doomed.”

Some small hope that he would listen flickered in Soir, and died as he tossed back his head and let out a long laugh. Not a jovial laugh, but one of dark humour and promised violence.

“Enough with this doomed world nonsense. Who are you to make such a claim?” He demanded.

Trying to take a step closer, Faust tripped and fell to her knees. Still, she held her head high, and through gritted teeth and with as much force as she could muster, said, “I am the Goddess of Fate, and—”

“Fate? The Goddess of Fate?” Zeus laughed longer and louder still, a dark, mirthless sound that merged with the distant roll of thunder. “Now I see what has happened here. Yet again, I have played into those harpies hooves, doing their dirty work. By my beard, I knew they had ulterior motives, but I never would have suspected this. You are not Fate, Faust, but a fool. You claim a domain not yours. Attempting to steal what belongs to the Moirai, no less. That, however, is between the Fates and you to resolve. I would offer caution, they are far more subtle in their ways and hold a grudge far longer than I.

“No, what I want is the location of my daughters. Tell me where they are, and we may put this trifle behind us.”

Falling to her side, Faust began to laugh, low and slow at first and rising to a hysterical pitch.

“Where are my daughters? Tell me!”

Grinning wider, Faust hurled the answer as he had done his thunderbolts, “They are dead. Destroyed! They will never call you ‘father’. Never share the triumphant grins that you long to see. My weave is pure of such intrusions. Pure. Yes, my weave must remain pure.”

Zeus was silent a long while, his face passive, expressionless. When he spoke, the wind ceased as a solemn silence rang across the valley. “Then you will be sent to join them, madam.”

An electric current ran through the air at Zeus’ proclamation. Soir’s fur stood on end, little static sparks jumping from tuft to tuft, then up towards Zeus. His staff glowed, brighter and brighter, until it hurt to look upon. A thrumming noise filled the valley, resonating through teeth and bone. Soir curled in on herself, unable to stop shaking as noise, light, and sparks grew to a fevered pitch.

And then all was silence as Zeus leveled his staff at Faust.

Through the miasma of the horizon as far away as Hackney’s white cliff coasts in the north, the mountainous city of the zbori to the east, the fleet of ships carrying grain just through the Marelantian Islands straits far, far in the west, and the lairs of the dragon lords within their desert across mountain and sea in the south, every eye was turned upon the battle between gods. Each blow exchanged lit the sky and was felt in the breasts of onlookers as if they’d been struck by a hammer.

Mothers clutched their foals close, though they did not know why. They wept, openly, even the cold and stoic zbori, batlike wings wrapped tight around each other as if to provide some measure of comfort or protection.

In the towns of southern Prance, panic gripped the villages and towns in flaming bands. Debris from the destruction of Mount Ossau plummeted upon their streets and homes, lit their dry fields, and spread devastation wide.

Sisters, monks, and anypony devout prayed as they ran, stumbled, or wandered through the sweeping destruction. Many of the voices were lifted to Faust, and these she reformed into armour to withstand Zeus’ thundering blows. Near as many were given to Celestia, Luna, and any god or saint that may have been listening.

Stuck in a meeting with the Astronomer’s Guild, quietly listening to their latest set of grievances, Celestia didn’t notice the first such prayer as it brushed against her conscience. The prayer was easily put aside, as were so many others that were issued every single moment of her existence, no thought at all given to them. A dozen more joined the first within moments, then a hundred, and then a thousand, two thousand, and more and more. Even this would not have been enough to garner her attention, but for the wild tinge of dread that weighed the prayers down like barbed anchors. And then, dozens were snuffed out at once mid-utterance.

Celestia twisted around in her seat to peer at the wall as if she could see through it to the source of the prayers.

Love, is something happening in the east?’ She asked Sol.

The sun did not answer at once as she wrenched her attention away from Manehatten to scan the rest of the disc.

Across from Celestia, the members of the guild grew agitated at being ignored. She gave them a pleasant smile, and begged their indulgence a moment. “There seems to be an issue that—”

Her explanations came to a sharp halt at Sol’s cry of, ‘You must see this!

Rarely did Celestia share Sol’s sight. Rarer still at Sol’s insistence. No sooner had the sun spoken than she was tugging at Celestia’s essence, fusing it with her own so that they each saw with the others eyes.

The view from so high among the heavens was breathtaking, as always. Clouds drifted across swatches of greens and yellows, softer browns where grasslands gave way to arid plains and then the oranges of the deserts. Interspersed throughout rose the grey points of mountains like spiny frills. Within the heart of southern Prance a wild tempest overtook the usual emerald forests and rolling hills. Jets of lightning shot skyward and into the ground, but not in the usual haphazard manner.

Sol tightened her gaze, narrowing in on where the storm was fiercest. At first Celestia did not see what caused Sol enough panic to pull her essence to the heavens. Then she noticed the two specs darting this way and that above the smoldering, jagged base of what’d been Mount Ossau. Ruby lances burst from one at the other, and though Celestia had never witnessed Faust use war spells, she knew this to be her mother.

Fear leapt through Celestia as Faust’s spells were turned aside, their deadly power redirected towards the wounded earth. The other combatant darted in close, and with a mighty buck, knocked Faust from the sky trailing wisps of smoke and feathers.

“I must go,” Celestia said, and without a further word she’d teleported the short distance to the armoury. There was no time to don her armour, and just enough to snatch her sword from where it rested.

She didn’t even hesitate over whether to contact Luna or not. Selene had set for the day, and Luna was asleep. There was not the time to rouse any of the others and explain what was transpiring. Her only hope was that they too were receiving prayers, and that they were not putting them aside.

Then Celestia lost all sight, sound, and warmth as she fell into the leylines of aether flowing across the disc. Ordinarily, it would take several minutes to cross from Canterlot to southern Prance. Celestia did not have that time. She forced her will further into the maelstrom of pure energy, bending, reshaping it, forcing it to carry her faster. There wasn’t even a proper destination set, simply ‘east’.

Whenever Celestia taught her students the arts of teleportation, one of the first lessons was to never, under any circumstances, teleport without the end-point firmly affixed. The number of wizards who’d been lost within the swirling confines of the leylines were nearly beyond counting. Sometimes, other travellers managed to spot these lost souls, catching them in the corner of their eye for a fleeting instant before they were swept away again.

As the aether permeating Prance drew nearer, Celestia became aware of the toll being exacted by the battle. Massive amounts of energy were not being just summoned, but expelled so that the furious storm ravaging the land was mirrored within the leylines. Currents glutted with the cast off energy from spells buffeted Celestia, threatening to knock her off course, or out of the aetherial veil entirely.

She grabbed hold of these currents, following them to the source of the disturbances. There, she would find Faust and whoever her mother fought.

Stronger distortions buffeted Celestia, like a stone had been cast into the veil, and then she was struck from behind as it rushed to fill the void. She could see, physically see, the spell being formed, the aether gathered into a single point. Runes Celestia did not recognise blazed in the near distance, a song to resonate across the leylines flowing from the heart of the spell. Mighty runes, each was equal to the most powerful rune within Celestia’s considerable repertoire.

Riding the currents, Celestia tucked wings and legs tighter against her barrel, willing herself just a little bit faster. The pitch of the song shifted, the final runes taking form. Celestia had to chose; go where the spell was being formed, or where it was directed. Two points shone at either end, one her mother, the other whomever she fought, but who was which remained obscured by the blinding formation of runes between them.

The spell was completed, and Celestia chose.

Light, sound, the scent of burnt wood on a cold, wet wind slammed into Celestia, and from above fell a stream of screaming plasma.

Celestia acted as Luna would have in her place, swinging Coronal Edge up with all her might, the powerful artifact's blade emitting a deep roar of its own. Forged from a piece of Sol, few blades could stand in comparison to Celestia’s sword. She caught the lightning bolt on the flat of the blade, aura trembling beneath the force of stopping the oncoming spell.

Never, in all her years, had Celestia felt such staggering strength. Only Nightmare Moon could compare, and her attacks had always held a semblance of grace carried over from saner times. There was none of that here, just pure, unbridled power bereft of any subtlety or nuance.

Clenching her teeth tight, Celestia let out a snort that turned into a deep shout as she withstood the killing stroke. Against Coronal Edge, the lightning split and ricocheted across the valley, leaving great gouges carved into the already scarred land.

Standing astride her wounded mother, Celestia billowed flame and might as she had not done in an age. Her mane was as the flaring surface of the sun, her eyes the molten core, strength swirling in their depths. A terrible yell broke from her throat, and she sent her flames through Coronal Edge and up the lightning pulsing against the blade.

The lightning petered out, spent, and her counter-attack, so hastily formed, burned only through clouds and up into the heavens before being expended.

Celestia Invictus, the Sun Unconquered, leveled her sword at Zeus, Coronal Edge a match for the fires commanded by her mistress.

Upon his storm, Zeus stood smitten. His grin grew wider still, and his heart pounded against his chest. He was ten thousand years younger in that moment, as fresh and full of life as he’d been as he declared victory over the Quus and claimed Gaea for his throne.

Never before had he been challenged so brazenly. He gathered the greatest of his thunderbolts, coaxing it together across the still growing storm, and drew his staff close to his side. He would test this mare.

Spell upon spell tumbled through the back of Celestia’s thoughts, just gracing her awareness enough to respond at the slightest command. Some were slow, but brutal, others quick flicks that swarmed and ground an opponent down, like rain hammering a mountain into a hill.

Old wounds and fresher stings reminded her of past defeats. A dull ache throbbed where Amon had once hacked off her wing and skin prickled where Chrysalis had humiliated her. With the former she’d been so young, inexperienced, and overconfident. The latter she’d been hemmed into Canterlot, terrified of unleashing the fullness of her power, and diminished by the careful work of months of poison.

Now, none of these were factors.

The greatest, and youngest, of her runes rose of its own accord, answering the call before she’d even begun to call its name. Ursea was so fresh, having spent less than a few months among her considerable repertoire, and only ever used once. A rune of her own devising, formed of her own essence, with the gentle, life giving qualities of the sun on a spring day, and the terrible, consuming wrath of Sol’s surface when angered, Ursea was as powerful as its mistress.

At the touch of the rune’s presence, Coronal Edge blazed hotter, sensing the sisterly nature of the rune to her own magic.

Shifting her hooves, wings spread ever so slightly so she could dart up or to the side as needed, Celestia readied her onslaught.

Before she could move, a hoof grabbed hold of her leg, and her gaze flickered for an instant down.

“We must leave,” Faust gasped through split lips, clutching at Celestia’s leg. “Twilight! Twilight. We must go to Twilight.”

The fury directed at the figure of Zeus so far overhead swung down to Faust. Celestia’s jaw tensed, fear clutching at her for her cousin. Without a word she took up her mother and teleported away.

Sweeping off his storm, Zeus descended to where Celestia had stood. He tugged at his vibrant, once more golden beard, and crinkled his blue eyes. Gone was the middle-aged stallion of yore, and in his place stood a figure full of vitality and youth.

“By my beard,” he said in a long breath, “Who was that stunning creature? I must find her. I must make her mine. Surely, there is no other who could be my equal. I am alive as I have not been in an epoch. To win but a moment more of the passion in those eyes! To taste her lips! I must find her.”

A sigh of pure longing issued from his throat, and Zeus took off to the west without further thought.

Author's Note:

Originally I wrote this chapter focusing far more on the action, and less on the wider effects such a battle between gods would create. I found it very lacking, so switched more to a disaster movie style format for most of the battle. That worked much better I found, especially making Soir a pov character. Essentially, looking through the mouse's eyes when trapped between a couple elephants fighting.

Originally, this chapter was a bit longer as it contained the aftermath of the battle as well. This caused a tonal dissonance within the chapter, one half being action the other slow and filled talky-talky. Splitting and fleshing both out has worked much better.

PreviousChapters Next