• Published 20th Nov 2012
  • 2,572 Views, 258 Comments

My Little Wasteland - ThatBronyWithTheClipOns

  • ...
11
 258
 2,572

Chapter 2: Training and Info on Everypony's Whereabouts

“Come on, hit me!” exclaimed Mal. “Ah know you can do better than that!”

It had been a couple days since Mal took Spike on as an apprentice. They were starting out with some basic combat. Spike was also now sporting a sizeable scar across his right eye from his scuffle a while back. While there was some damage done, and graying, but there wasn’t a total loss of vision it seemed. He was still able to go back and see Twilight, who was able to use a spell to heal the eye itself, save for the scar and the graying. But he had gotten his vision in it back. He didn’t want the scar fully healed anyway; he needed it as a reminder of how hard he needed to fight to keep her safe.

“I thought you were going to teach me how to shoot,” complained Spike.

“With those scrawny arms,” chuckled Mal. Firin a gun will break them in two! We gotta get you some muscle first, boy! One way to do that is to do some good ol fashioned fightin! Now hit me as hard as you can.”

“But I don’t wanna hurt you, Mal,” said Spike.

“Don’t be such a fuckin wimp,” exclaimed Mal. “It’s a harsh world out there! If you think ah’m hard, you’ll come across ponies that make me look like your goddamned grandma! Now hit me!”

Spike struck, and barely made contact. Mal stood there with a dumbfounded look on his face.

“Ya gotta be kiddin me,” said Mal, rolling his eyes. “You have a better advantage than the ponies out there. Ya’ll can stand yer two fucking legs at all time! Not to mention ya got them claws! Ah’ve never seen a dragon show so little aggression!”

Spike stood there frozen, fists up, but still not moving.

“Fucking hit me,” barked Mal. “Ya gonna be this way when some rowdy son of a bitch finds yer precious Twilight and decides to do god knows what to her! She’ll be thinking, Spike help me! But you won’t able to do a damn thing because you’re just a panty waste little dragon who can’t do shit for anypony…”

Finally Spike managed to let his anger come through as he punched Mal right in the jaw. He stepped back a bit and shook his head some.

“Well ah’ll be damned,” said Mal. “Got yerself a pretty good right hook there.”

“Gee thanks, Mal,” said Spike. “You’re a really good teacher and…”

Suddenly Mal gave Spike a huge strike to his face. Spike fell backwards.

“Ow, what the hell,” said Spike.

“Ah told you ah was gonna be rough,” said Mal. “Aint nopony out there gonna give you time to compliment how nice they look in their hats. Ya gotta act fast if you wanna survive. Ya can act all nice and sweet with Twilight, but if yer goin after some cutthroat mother fucker for a bounty, ya don’t look as though yer ready to shake their damn hoof! Now we’re gonna keep fightin till ya can’t stand no more! And we’re gonna do this everyday till ya can keep me from getting back up. And from this moment on ah aint gonna give ya a break, we’re just gonna keep brawlin till one of us is the last one standin! Be sure to defend yerself too.”

They continued to bob and weave at each other, making various hits that varied in effect. It wasn’t long though before Spike was passed out and unable to get back up.

“Not bad for a first day,” said Mal. “Don’t think it’s gonna get any easier.”

Mal dragged Spike into his house and fixed them some dinner. Days passed, and with each brawl, Spike improved more and more. And as Mal said he would, Spike began to bulk up as well; he was even growing a few inches every few weeks. Mal still let Spike go back to see Twilight so he could give her food and make sure she wasn’t in harm. Nopony but Spike knew where she was. They had fled to the ancient castle of the sister princesses deep in the Everfree Forest. Very few knew about the location, and Spike made sure to cover any tracks that could lead others to it. After nearly two months of fighting and weight lifting, Mal felt it was time to teach Spike all he knew about shooting.

“Alright then,” said Mal. “Now the moment ya’ll been waitin for. Learnin to fire a gun.”

“How am I supposed to do that anyway,” asked Spike. “All the guns are designed for ponies.”

“Ah thought about that,” said Mal. “Ah’m not just a marskpony, ah’ve also been taught some blacksmithin. Ah modified some guns so you can handle them.”

He presented Spike with various guns. Two six shooters, a sawed off shotgun, a rifle with a scope, and even some bladed weapons.

“Wow,” said Spike.

“Yeah,” said Mal. “Not to toot mah own horn. But these are some impressive weapons. Yer gonna learn all you can about them too. It aint just about shooting, anypony can do that. Ya gotta know how they work, how to keep them in good shape, which bullets go with which guns. That there scope rifle aint as simple as looking through and firin. Ya gotta take in wind speed and distance.”

“If I can take teaching from Twilight Sparkle, I can take teaching from anypony,” said Spike.

“Glad to hear that mentality,” said Mal. “It’s good to know the various guns with the various ranges. Blades are good to have when you’re in close quarters and shooting off some bullets may not be so good fer ya. Pistols are good for basic shootin and gun fights. The shotgun here is good fer when yer up against more than one pony tryin to kill ya. And the rifle is good fer when ya don’t really wanna get up close an personal with your targets. Each one weighs differently too and will feel different in your claws. Even ah had some difficulties gettin used these back when they were new. But once ya get handle on them, they’ll be yer best friends in the whole wide world.”

More time passed as Spike learned how each of his guns worked, and how to fire each one properly. Just like with the hand to hand combat, he started out rather poorly. But he wasn’t going to let that dampen his spirits. He had to be strong, he had to be tough, he couldn’t let anypony stop him from being able to provide for Twilight and keep her safe. Between his training and checking up in Twilight, Spike was also visiting what was left of Ponyville.

His home, like all of Equestria, was a much different place. Sweet Apple Acres had been destroyed, with Granny Smith dying along with it. With no home, the Apple siblings had abandoned Ponyville to seek out other ways to keep themselves fed. Bounty hunting became the clear choice. The Apple Siblings became pretty famous around Equestria for their teamwork and sharp shooting. Apple Bloom discovered a talent for manufacturing various weapons and gadgets they could use for defending themselves. She even found ways to make explosives. This earned her a cutie mark, a wrench with an apple pattern on the handle. By then they’d all been given some new nicknames even. Applejack was known most places as Calamity Jack, Apple Bloom was Apple Boom, and Big Macintosh was now Big Gatlingtosh.

Fluttershy was the most surprising shift in personality change. She had actually taken up residence in the Everfree forest, with her various animal companions. She tamed many of the wild beasts that resided in there, using them to keep her smaller animals safer from those wanting to be cruel. Because of her new heroics and ability to talk with animals, she was known to many as the Beast Mistress.

Rarity had given up on fashion since nopony else cared. She boarded up the Carousel Boutique and became a crazy cat lady; as Pinkie Pie had once feared would happen. She did however, design a nice brown duster for Spike, which was lined with some plates of armor on the inside and hidden pockets. All of the stitching was done with a special thread that was thin like any thread, but had the strength of steel. She even made him a dark brown akubra hat to keep himself guarded from the sun.

“I think you could make a decent living making clothes for ponies in this new era,” said Spike.

“Oh please, Spikey Wikey,” said Rarity. “I’m surprised I made that coat for you. I’m not a fan of western wear, or leather for that matter. Faux or otherwise. There’s no place for a glamour pony like me in this world.”

Sweetie Belle took up lounge singing to keep them both fed. Her cutie mark was mezzo-soprano cleft. Spike frequently visited the bar she sang at, and both had grown rather fond of each other.

Scootaloo had run off to join some gang, nopony knew where she was currently or even what her cutie mark was.

Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash had fought in the war, but nopony was sure what had happened to them, or if they were even still alive. Spike wanted to know if they were still alive, and if either would ever forgive Twilight.

Almost a year had passed since Spike started training with Mal. Mal himself was quite impressed at how much spike had not only grown but improved in fighting and shooting. He also had to admit that his wardrobe made by Rarity was very badass. Spike was taller, bulky but still lean, and his voice had become rather deep and gruff.

“Gotta say, that look is good on you,” said Mal.

“Thanks,” said Spike. “Rarity knows how make clothes. Too bad she’s no longer in real business.”

“Ah heard stories about that mare,” said Mal. “Most say she was real pretty.”

“For sure,” said Spike. “I used to be real fond of her. But over time I guess I grew more on her little sister, Sweetie Belle.”

“Can ponies and dragons even do it?” asked Mal. “Or have ya’ll tried yet.”

“We actually haven’t,” said Spike, who was blushing brightly now.

“Well, good luck with that,” said Mal. “There aint no more ah can teach ya, Spike. Sooner you get out there, sooner you can collect them bounties.”

“Thank you, Mal,” said Spike. “For everything. I don’t know where’d I’d be without you.”

“Dead in the dirt,” said Mal with a chuckle.

“Suppose you’re right,” said Spike.

“Feel free to visit anytime,” said Mal.

“For sure,” said Spike.

There was a moment of silence, before Mal gave a little cough.

“Well, don’t be expectin me to give a hug er anythin,” said Mal. “We’re both males after all.”

“I would never expect you to do that,” said Spike.

But without saying anything, Spike gave Mal a hug. Mal seemed a bit taken aback by this, but in the end he hugged back. Spike gathered up all his weapons and walked off.

“He just might become the most dangerous bounty hunter in all Equestria,” Mal said to himself. “Ah know ah wouldn’t want to be facin the barrel of his revolver.”