• Published 6th Feb 2012
  • 2,569 Views, 39 Comments

Octavia's Legged Woes. - ponystorylyh



Octavia was invited to the annual Music Festival held in Marelantis...

  • ...
2
 39
 2,569

Chapter 3: Awakening, with extra limbs.

Octavia’s Legged Woes
My Little Ponies: Friendship is Magic belongs to Hasbro and Lauren Faust.
Original Characters belongs to me.

Chapter 3: Awakening, with extra limbs.

Octavia was galloping hard and fast. She had been running aimlessly through the blue-ish, featureless landscape for a while, and seemed like there was no end to it. Her muscles were strained from all the running, but she cannot stop, hearing the roar of the water waves edging closer and closer from behind. The dark grey mane pony took a moment to look back, gaping at the huge wall of water as it rushed down, sweeping her off her hooves and sent her under. Tumbling with the currents, Octavia actually felt a presence close by, only to ‘scream’ out as something grabbed her hind leg and started pulling her. She bucked as hard as she could, hoping to loosen its grip on her. Instead of loosening, it’s grip tightened and another tentacle shoot out from the dark, this time wrapping around Octavia’s body, ensuring her escape was futile as they pulled her towards a large bony beak, which opened, welcoming her...


Octavia screamed as she woke up from the nightmare, causing the others around her to jolt in surprise. Everypony she knew; Lyra, Bon Bon, and Sea Mint, had gathered around her with looks of concern all over their faces as she looked up at them.

“Its alright Octavia, you probably had a bad dream.” Bon Bon comforted her, “How... how are you feeling?”

“I... I seriously don’t know...” Octavia shuddered as she ‘sat’ up, looking around the room in confusion, "Where are we? what is this place?" She felt a tingle in her tongue, which she stuck it out, wincing at the strong taste of salt, “Eww... Do you know I can actually taste the salt in the air, and the minerals on the rocks and paddings of this... bed...” She feared the worst as her eyes travelled down her sides to her limbs, confirming four pairs of tentacles to be hers. The taste buds on her new limbs were now active and constantly bombarding her with a variety of ‘flavours’, “Ugh... how do I switch them off... everything taste awful even when they aren’t placed in my mouth!” She panicked and frantically flailed her tentacles around, almost smacking her friends in the process as they scattered, Lyra hurriedly held them down with her magic.

"You aren't being helpful right now Octavia. Please try to calm down!" Lyra replied in a stern tone, causing both Bon Bon and Octavia to gasped at her in surprise, "Sea Mint, what's the investigation updates you have at the moment?"

"We... we took the liberty to remove the gem from Octavia's bow tie. From initial inspection, the gem is of the approved grade. Right now, we are tracing the batch number of the gem, hopefully it will lead us to the sea pony unicorn who was in charge of embedding the spell in this gem." Sea Mint the sea pony reported, glancing at the surprised looks, then nudging Lyra, who quickly realised her error.

"Good... I mean thank you Sea Mint, we hope we can get a satisfactory answer from the establishment." Lyra softened her tone and turned back to Octavia, "Have you settled down, Octavia?" The half octopus pony nodded, "All right, I'm going to release my hold..."

Octavia could finally move with the spell removed, her now calmed mind allowed her to shut off the signals from the taste buds. As she lifted up her tentacles to look at them, Octavia was amazed how responsive they were.. Curiosity got the better of her as she examined herself, noting her lack of a tail, her grey coat was leathery, with a thin layer of slime that acts as a membrane. The half octopus felt her mane, amazed its able to hold it's shape in this strange environment. A ting of worry then appeared on her face as she tried to turn over, only to stop when Lyra gave a loud cough, “I know what you are looking for, and the answer for both questions are ‘No’. You don’t have a beak, and you are still a mare.” Octavia blushed at the second answer, “Also, if you have not realised, you are breathing in water.” The mint sea pony added, moving off to talk to Sea Mint.

It took Octavia a while to registered what Lyra had said when everything dawned on her; Sea ponies were floating about, the density of the 'air' was heavy, bubbles came out of her mouth as she spoke. Octavia gagged and stopped her breath, earning a stare from Bon Bon as she floated in front of the half octopus and blew bubbles in the latter’s face, causing her to sputter and resumed breathing, much to her foalishness. The cream scaled sea pony rolled her eyes and comforted Octavia, “And I thought I’m the silly pony here. Look at me, aren’t I coping well?”

The half octopus had a good look at Bon Bon; Her signature navy-pink curls was recognisable on her mane, her coat had been replaced with scales, her front hooves were replaced with matching colour fins, while her hind hooves were gone, leaving a tail. “But you are a sea pony... I’m not... and I'm sorry for the outburst earlier...” Octavia replied regretfully, having regulated her breathing once more. She could actually feel the gills on her neck working as it filters oxygen from the sea water.

“Honesty...” Bon Bon hesitated for a bit, then leaned in to comfort her unfortunate friend, “I’m glad you’re not.” She floated back and continued loud enough for Lyra to hear her, “Look at me, these fins can’t do anything except keeping me afloat and acting all pretty. At least those 'legs' of yours can be used to play instruments.”

Octavia pondered over what Bon Bon had said. There was some truth in that as she compared her tentacles to the short fins, "I agree... they are long and easy to maneuver, but won't the sea ponies down at the city be afraid of me? I've read that sea ponies are a delicacy to giant octopuses..."

"You don't have to worry Octavia. I believe the Marelantis Tourism Board will provide the necessary arrangements for you in order to visit the city. And Bon Bon," Lyra sighed at her marefriend's whining, and swam toward them. She had finished her discussion with Sea Mint, who nodded and swam out of the house and upward to the surface, "Just stay by me no matter what. I won't leave you alone." The cream scaled sea pony was confused, yet embarrassed as she turned away blushing, while Octavia breathed a sigh of relief, sensing a growing reliability coming from Lyra. However, she felt the need to inquire the mint sea unicorn on her tone of voice.

“Miss Heartstrings, I hope you will explain yourself. That tone you used while you used earlier wasn’t your style.” Octavia shook her head and stared at the unicorn sea pony, “I’ve been in frequent conversations with classy Manehatten and Canterlot ponies before, and that tone was used whenever they need to their subordinates to get things done.” A long pause of silence followed as Lyra tried to avoid her fellow musician’s stare. Bon Bon too wanted to know, but seeing her mare friend’s nervousness, she swam over and gave the latter a hug, then giving Octavia a pleading look, “Ugh... fine... I’ll put it aside until you feel like telling...”

The half-octopus easily pushed herself off the bed, now very impressed on what her new limbs can do, “Well, this might not be that bad.” She tried crawling forward, her limbs flailed about haphazardly as she tried to figure out which limb to move. After a jumbled mess of tentacles, Octavia fell onto her side, eliciting a giggle from Bon Bon, “A little help here, girls...” She tried to untangle herself but found herself further tangled up in a rather embarrassing position, “... Please?”

Lyra finally broke from her nervousness and chuckled. using her magic to untangle Octavia, “I will reveal everything in good time Octavia... right now you need to coordinate those legs of yours. We don’t want to have another entanglement issues when we go down to Marelantis, do we?” the mint scaled sea unicorn swam over to the bookshelf and pulled out a book with her magic, “Bon Bon, I’ll need you help to support Octavia as she make her way outside. I’ll meet you both at the clearing after a quick talk with Sea Mint.” Lyra then swam out and headed for the surface, leaving the remaining two to their own devices.

"Alright... I'd better get started..." Octavia lifted her appendages, putting them down one at a time and repeated the process. Once satisfied that they 'behave', the half octapus pushed herself forward with her front and back limbs. The result was promising, her body being propelled forward slightly. With renewed confidence and encouragement from Bon Bon, Octavia eagerly focused at her first check point; the door, her limbs readied, and she sprung...

The musician had not expected the strength within her tentacles to be that strong as she leaped for the door. It felt like an Ursa Minor had grabbed her limbs and tossed her. Beyond the house was a field of corals, and crash landing there could be quite painful. Octavia's octopus' senses kicked in, doing a tumble as her body 'rolled' out of the door. Her limbs stretched out, grabbing the door frame, which effectively halted her brush with the corals. However, the tension created caused her body to bounced back into the room, where Octavia desperately lashed out to grab onto something. Bon Bon squeaked as she tried to avoid the sprung back half-octopus, only to be caught by the latter's limb, sending them crashing into the bookshelf.

"Oww..." The cream sea pony groaned and shook the dizziness away, "Gah!... Octavia?!"

"Ugh... are you all right Bon Bon?" Octavia was glad her upper half of her body was all pony construct, "Is something... ohh..." She shook the debris off her body, finding her tentacles were jumbled up again, but this time, with an extra creature trapped within them, "Sorry..."

"This is going to take a while..." Her friend sighed as they started to untangle themselves...


Author's Note: Got it done finally. Having some trouble getting Octavia's body functions correct. R&R. Thanks!