• Published 14th Nov 2012
  • 581 Views, 13 Comments

No More Tears - Nexuskld



two very different filies discover the power of friendship, self confidence and, perserveaence

  • ...
 13
 581

The song of Sadness

Dewdrop was sitting at her desk in the back of the classroom looking at the clock as the final few seconds of the school year wasted away. "5... 4... 3... 2...1... Awww," said Dewdrop a little too loudly as the bell finally rang. Luckily for the earth pony, none of her classmates heard her over their own cheering and whooping.

"But, I don't want to go home", said the light blue filly to herself. Slowly, she started to pack up her saddlebags and walk towards the door to leave. As she walked through the rapidly emptying halls, she could hear her mother’s voice in her head.

”You want to go WHERE?!" yelled the voice. "NO, you are NOT going to that summer camp in Ponyville! Do you know how how much we have sacrificed so that you could show your hornless, wingless self in public?! I couldn't even show my face at the Gala because of you!" Dewdrop cringed, readying herself for the words she had heard just this morning. "Why didn't I just leave you on a doorstep!?"

She turned right into the alleyway she always stopped at when coming home from school and cried. "Why can't I have a horn or wings like other ponies?" she sobbed while observing the bruises on her ribs, which were given to her that morning. "Why can't my mother love me like others love their fillies?"

She sat there crying for a few minutes, unaware of the dirty, grey-coated filly that just turned into the other end of the alleyway. Slowly, Dewdrop got up, dried her tears, and, sniffling, continued the long, foreboding walk home.


Sugar Song was hungry. She had found a small box of half-eaten hay fries in the trash that morning, but that didn't make up for the previous two foodless days and nights. "Aww man," lamented Sugar Song, "what I wouldn't give for a sandwich right about now."

Her stomach growled as she passed by a local bakery. Normally, she would have stopped by, knowing the baker passed out free sweets to fillies sometimes. However, ever since it came under new ownership, all she had gotten from there was a scolding and a few burned cookies from the dumpster out back.

She didn't mind being told off by other ponies; in fact, she didn't even care. She knew that, in the end, none of them would be cruel enough to call the guards on her for her petty theft. She also knew that they were not kind either. In fact she knew a lot of things, probably more that those ponies who had homes and went to school.

Well, she thought, I guess street life isn't that bad after all. "Ahhh," grumbled the grey coated unicorn. Who the buck am i kidding? It's bucking horrible! Its even worse considering i actually had a home at one point...and a family.

At this thought, she felt her sadness starting to overwhelm her as it sometimes did. No! she thought. I can't let my emotions take me again; that's why I'm hungry in the first place. Just calm down, Mel. Just remember who you are. You're not Sugar Song anymore; you're Melody. Sugar Song is dead. She died a long time ago with her fam...

She stopped in her tracks, sudden guilt overtaking her. No no no! she thought, shaking her head. "Okay, deep breaths... okay, good. Now, I'm going to go down the next alleyway and find some food," she said to herself silently. Just as she turned in to the alleyway, she saw a light blue earth pony stand and walk away, sniffling.


Dewdrop lay crying on the pile of straw that she used as a bed. She could feel the bone-chilling cold of the old mansion’s basement seeping through the vest she wore to hide her numerous bruises, both old and new.

Ohh, why do I have to be a useless earth pony? Why can’t I have wings like dad did? Then, I could fly away and never see my stupid mother again! Well, at least its only her, thought Dewdrop gloomily.At least she doesn't hit too hard.

In a sudden outburst of rage, she struck the wall to her right as hard as she could. To no surprise, the wall did not give, but the force of the blow sent Dewdrop stumbling backwards, trying to regain her balance. With a sudden squeal, Dewdrop tripped over an uneven patch of ground and grabbed an old torch holder for support. To her surprise, the metal bracket came slightly off the wall and the wall behind her started to move. When she turned around, she saw an opening in the wall just big enough for a pony.

"Whoa," she said, her tears slowly stopping. "I never knew this was here. It must have been built a long time ago, maybe during the first griffin war." She looked around nervously, hoping that her mother didn't hear the commotion from upstairs. When she heard nothing, she took a look into the tunnel.

Seeing nothing but black, she tentatively called out, "Hello?" Feeling satisfied that there were no animals living in the passageway, she took a few nervous steps towards the tunnel. Still, the darkness clouded her vision. She took a few more steps forward and fell, grabbing another torch holder, which also pulled slightly from the wall with a mechanical click. "Oh no" said Dewdrop spinning around just in time to see the wall seal up behind her leaving her in total darkness.....Dewdrop hated the dark.


Melody watched the light blue filly walk down the street before turning back to the book the filly had left behind. "Sorry, kid," said Melody as she picked up the book with her magic. "Thirty second rule." She turned the book over to look at the cover "Buck!" she said. "It’s just a bucking textbook!"

As Melody tossed it to the ground, she heard a passing Pegasus call out, "Young filly! You most certainly must not use those words! It is very unbecoming." Then, looking Melody up and down, she added with a snort, "Even for street scum such as yourself."

With barely suppressed anger, Melody turned around to face the offender and replied, "Buck you, I'll say whatever the buck I want!" Not used to being verbally assaulted in such a way, the Pegasus turned away and left in a fit of anger.

Melody picked up the book again and opened the front cover, looking for a name and address. "Well," she said to herself, "I might as well return it. Maybe they will give me some bits in return... or food." With unusually high hopes, she headed down the street towards Canterlot’s financial district.

Author's Note:

Hey everypony,
First i just want to say that i know Dewdrop seems like a really boring character right now but i have some pretty big plans for her that will probably change your mind.

Second I want to thank Alicorn Priest for pointing out almost every grammatical and spelling error in this chapter (all of which have been fixed). I realize now that its probably a better idea to have it proofread before sending it out to you guys.

Lastly i would like to say that i am currently looking for someone to do some cover art for this story so if your interested just send me a message i have very few requirements for the cover so it shouldn't be too hard. Well that's all i really wanted to say for now so thanks for reading and i hope you will enjoy the following chapters even more!

-Nexus