• Published 8th Nov 2012
  • 869 Views, 5 Comments

From Dawn to Day to Dusk... - EpicApplejack



A very brief shortstory about the early life of Twilight and Trixie

  • ...
2
 5
 869

The Story

From Dawn to Day to Dusk...

'Twas a late summer afternoon in Canterlot and Twilight Sparkle (still a filly) was on her daily walk.
She was caught up in The Many Spells of Starswirl, a book she had nearly finished after starting that very morning. Then suddenly the book slammed to the ground with a force to strong for her own magic. She attempted to pick it up. No movement. An older filly loped into view.
The bully smirked, “Whats the matter? Can't pick up a stupid book? You are a unicorn aren't you?” Twilight's lip quivered under the persecution, but she ceased to cry at the sight of the bully's mane. It's color began to fade, and it's flowing beauty exchanged for ratted filth. Snorting victoriously, the bully stopped in her tracks when a window's reflection revealed her true beauty. She quickly glanced at the awestruck Twilight and, without a word, fled in haste and humiliation.
Mouth agape, the purple pony found her attention directed to the book. No longer was it stationary. Instead it was floating freely in front of her face, borders glowing a faint fuchsia. Another unicorn's magic. At that moment a brilliant azure pony with a cornflower blue mane emerged from a nearby alley. She was covered from horn to hoof in dust, coat matted and discolored in various locations. Uncharacteristic for a citizen of Canterlot.
“No need to thank me,” exclaimed the blue filly. Twilight had never seen a pony so filthy and was for a moment taken aback. Despite what the stranger had said, she still wanted to repay her for her actions, but nothing came to mind. “I'm Trixie Lulamoon,” the dirty pony added, “...and you are?”
“Oh, I'm Twilight Sparkle. And your not from Canterlot are you?” the purple pony responded.
“No,” The blue unicorn replied, “I arrived here from Hoofington just this morning.”
“Well, why in the world did you leave? Isn't Hoofington a nice town?
“Uh I,” Trixie hesitated, “Its personal...” she answered in a tone that revealed an inner sorrow.
Twilight noticed the sulking filly's demeanor and attempted to lighten up the mood, “Hey do you want to come over to my house?”
Trixie nodded.
Without further ado the two of them set off for Twilight's house.
Upon arrival the blue pony halted at the patio, “Is that your house?” Trixie was frozen at the sight of the mansion. As Twilight opened the door and the vibrant colors were subdued by a much more subtle indoor hue which seemed to induce a feeling of security and sanctuary. The scuffed up pony let out a long sigh of relief, at last, refuge.
“Mom, Dad, I'm home.” called Twilight as to make sure her voice carried to whichever wing of the house her parents were located.
Mrs. Sparkle came forth from the kitchen, “Ah Twilight, how was your—Oh my...”
“Mother, this is Trixie Lulamoon, may she stay for dinner?”
“Well,um... Is it alright with her parents?” Mrs. Sparkle found it hard to focus on Trixie through the layers of dirt.
“Actually...” Trixie's head drooped, “...they're—not around.”
Mr. Sparkle entered from the library.
“Not around, how can they not be around? Surely they must be somewhere.” blurted Twilight.
Mrs. Sparkle shot a glace at her daughter, then directed her attention to the newcomer “Come now Miss Lulamoon, lets get you cleaned up”
Trixie and Mrs. Sparkle left for the washroom and Twilight was left alone with her father who then said, “Honey, I want you to know that not everypony is as fortunate as us, and your friend here could very well be an orphan, understand?” she respectfully nodded.
When Trixie finished cleaning up she was directed to the dining room, where dinner had been fully prepared and the table set. Never had she experienced a meal so exquisite and succulent as she did that night, nor had she felt so at home amongst a family of strangers, for it was the point her life took a turn for the better.
The next morning Trixie awoke to the smell of a scrumptious breakfast, for she had bunked in the spare bedroom next to Twilight's. Over the course of a fortnight Trixie was considered part of the Sparkle family, everyone accepted her as her own. A daughter to Twilight's parents, another sister to Shining Armor, but above all a sister to Twilight. The duo was insuperable. Their bond unsurpassed. In fact, even after arguments they were still closer than most biological sisters were on a good day.
A year had passed and it was plain to see their interests forming. After witnessing the Summer Sun Celebration, both were intrigued by the studies of magic. Although there were specific kinds that appealed to each of them separately. For example, Trixie loved the more flamboyant and showy spells, while Twilight found the practical areas more to her liking. As their thirst for knowledge grew, Mr. Sparkle decided to enroll them both in Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. As the day of their entrance exam grew ever nearer, Twilight grew anxious, and Trixie grew confident. Considering that Trixie was at the time a much more powerful magician than Twilight their concerns were fitting.
On the day of the exam the two sisters waited for what seemed to be hours because the names were called alphabetically. Trixie was first. Twilight was left alone in the waiting room, allowed to contemplate the outcome of her sister's exam.
In the testing chambers, Trixie was instructed to balance a phoenix feather on the head of a nail. Effortlessly, she passed with flying colors and was dismissed quickly.
The time had arose for Twilight to take her exam, and she was instructed to hatch a dragon egg. Unbeknownst to Twilight and the judges, Trixie had snuck back in to the testing chambers so she could witness her sister's exam. Twilight introduced herself and was then told to begin. The minutes ticked by as she struggled to hatch the egg. In vain she had worked herself to exhaustion, her face red with effort. The tension was killing Trixie, all of her might was simply focused on not reaching out with her mind and cracking the egg as to weaken it a little for Twilight.
As all dignity had been torn from Twilight's body, a thunderous crack could be heard in the distance. The noise and repercussion of the blast startled Twilight as though to kick start some sort magic reservoir within, and suddenly it began. Her horn sparked bright purple and a flowing stream could be seen from it to the egg, of which the shell exploded from the dragon hatchling. Afterward, she proceeded to create an orb of raw magic that encased herself and lifter her into the air, her eyes glowing white with pure power, and lightning strewn rapidly in all directions from her horn. The only thing that stopped her was a visit from the princess herself.
Trixie, needless to say, was speechless. She, as all among her, had never seen so much raw power in a single individual.
Princess Celestia offered Twilight the position of her own personal protégé at the school. Twilight graciously accepted.
Then, without warning, a judge spotted Trixie and shouted, “Hey, somepony grab her! Nopony is allowed in the testing chambers during exams!” A palace guard began to advance upon her. Bewildered, she did the first thing that came to mind... she ran.
Using her magic to escape she fled. She fled the school, she fled Canterlot, she ran as far as she could bare and kept going until she collapsed. She wept. Not because she was afraid of getting in trouble, nor was it because the pain in her legs was unbearable, but because the last thing she wanted was to lose her only sister, Twilight. She didn't want to be the one responsible for crushing her sister's dream of being Celestia's apprentice. And in her mind, she did what she had to do to preserve their relationship. Trixie gazed upon the dimly lit sky...twilight...

amidst the sun, all hope set on the dismal horizon...

...until one day a traveling magician rode into Ponyville

Comments ( 5 )

Intro was rather disjointed and confusing as to who was doing what.

"And your not from Canterlot are you" dat grammar.

" 'Uh I,' Trixie hesitated, 'Its personal...' "
Kids don't talk like this, unless they're imitating adults in which case make it more obvious and maybe somehow allude to what's happening.
Also spelled "it's."

"Trixie nodded."
Suddenly she's again self-assured. Explain more there to ease abruptness.

"The scuffed up pony let out a long sigh of relief, at last, refuge."
Use long dashes for interjections esp. in the narration.

"Mrs. Sparkle"
Either our favorite future Celestial understudy dorkpony's been married, or you're getting this name wrong.
Twilight's mother is just called "Twilight." Best to just refer to her as "her mother" or somesuch.

This story clashes a fair bit with canon in that Twi would probably remember Trixie from foalhood, wouldn't she? Why didn't she say something? Why wasn't she sad when Trix' head was all swollen?

Sorry for the grammatical errors, I wrote in 8 hours (over night). Also, her mother's name is Twilight Velvet to be exact.
The reason that Twi wasn't sad, is because I haven't wrote up to that part yet... I still have to write the second half.
I appreciate your concern though.

I think other than the lack of sister bonds (which I've mentioned already), change the parenthesis in the first sentence of "...(still a filly)" to "The young filly Twilight Sparkle..."
Other than that it was a good read, keep it up.

I think other than the lack of sister bonds (which I've mentioned already), change the parenthesis in the first sentence of "...(still a filly)" to "The young filly Twilight Sparkle..." :trixieshiftright:
Other than that it was a good read, keep it up. :pinkiehappy:

Well constructive criticism is the key to good work...:ajsmug:

That is, of course, if one can take it:yay: I'll keep that into mind.

Plus I suddenly feel the urge to write another fanfic! :rainbowderp:

Login or register to comment