• Published 5th Jan 2012
  • 1,395 Views, 11 Comments

Conditioned Fear - Outsider



Within the deep recesses of the Everfree Forest, an odd creature stirs...

  • ...
0
 11
 1,395

Ch.3 Abandonment

Ch. 3 Abandonment

The ambient sounds of the forest were my only company as I continued my search for something unknown to me, the voice that seemed to save me still clearly echoing in my mind.

As I progressed deeper into the forest the world around me seemed to darken. The familiar mosses making way for strange, new plants which dotted the ground as the trees grew ever larger. The thicket of branches and leaves above stretched to the sky, nearly blotted out all light that attempted to reach the forest floor, leaving the area with an oppressive darkness. Hungry growls echoed through the area coating the area in an unwelcome feeling. The growls drew ever closer as my legs began to automatically quicken their pace, clearly not desiring to dwell any longer in this twisted region.

The trees seemed to sprint around me as I moved through the forest, the bushes and scarce rocks below now a blur. A low panting, along with the rapid pounding of some form of foot or paw emanated from behind me. I continued sprinting in a vague hope of escaping my pursuer. The sound of air being sliced behind me rang in my ears as my breath wheezed.

My eyes darted through my surroundings, desperately looking for some way to escape the beast. My adrenaline fueled dash was cut short as I felt a slight tug on my leg as my vision quickly faced the dirt below as the ground rapidly approached. So this is how my life ends... I thought to myself, bracing for some form of horrible beast to liberate my internal organs from my abdomen. I awaited the strike, but it never came. I looked up to see something I never would have thought to see in this forest.

An abandoned castle, a decadent ruin by comparison to its former glory. However as I stood before it, something just felt... wrong about it, clearly whatever it was, even brute beasts knew to stay away because of it. Although it was rather saddening to see that which was once a grand palace, now nothing more than a forgotten ruin, any memory of its former greatness being removed by the flow of time.

I approached the rusted gate of the stronghold; the ancient bars seemed to crumble away under the slightest of touches, allowing easy access to the ruin. The sun was almost finished its dance through the sky when I neared the ancient stronghold, allowing the moon to take center stage in the sky.

I walked through the collapsed hallways of the castle, countless paintings, tapestries, and statues dotted the halls all worn away, only their basic features distinguishable, most seemed to depict various unicorns or pegasi strangely.

I walked through the desolate halls of the castle for a time, and as luck would have it I happened across a library. Long burned out torches periodically dotted the walls, collapsed bookshelves leaving a mess of splinters and books across the floor. The books themselves were either faded or rotten away, but there were some that still fought on to preserve their information. Most of the readable books were on useless topics unfortunately. But then one book caught my eye.

There was no title or author present on the tome, just a foreboding symbol which seemed to have a dim glow emanating from it as I gazed upon the cover. The book itself was unnaturally cold despite the heat of the summers night. I flipped it open various symbols and genuinely disturbing illustrations almost seemed hastily thrown on each page, not having any clear coherence or reason for them. But then there was one line of text in some language I didn’t understand.

I mumbled the words in the book, a feeling of unknown power seemed to echo behind the words as they faintly reached the far corners of the hallowed library. I hastily picked the book up holding it against my chest with one of my forelegs, hoping that walking with three legs won’t be too much a burden.

I continued looking through the decaying rooms of the castle in hopes of finding something else of interest, but to little avail, that is until I stumbled upon an empty ballroom. Countless tattered decorations covered the room, almost speaking of a better time when the warm sounds of joy, and merriment would flow openly through the vast space. A piano sat in the corner, a thick blanket of dust lay over it, oddly untouched by the flow of time. A smashed chandelier lay in the center of the floor the rusted chain overhead had clearly given up long ago. I exhaled loudly, my eyes beginning to water as I looked at the forgotten world that surrounded me.

Just as I was about to leave this crumbling world behind me something happened, the piano began to play. At first it was a few simple notes but very swiftly a dark, almost painful tune began to play as I witnessed a dull grey orb floating before the instrument.

I gazed in awe at this apparition, as it began to take form first sprouting four legs, and then a small oval body began to take shape, finally a head emerged from the orb creating an ethereal unicorn it slowing swaying its head in tune to the music as I stood, my legs shaking uncontrollably. As the song continued more orbs began to fade into existence floating around one another immediately above the desecrated floor as the room gained an almost hellish glow.

I bashed my way through the ballroom door, I could feel and count every motion, every breath, every step, and every heartbeat in my state of adrenaline induced power. Numerous other orbs drifted through the halls as I raced faster than I thought possible. I bashed my way through the rusted gate once more.

Two gaping holes in the gate, and a missing book the only true evidence I was ever in that accursed place.

I collapsed to the ground, unable to continue any further away from that place, the moon had already fallen from the sky as the sun peeked out from behind the horizon. Move you worthless husk! My mind shouted at my exhausted body as I shakily stood, barely able to remain balanced. I took one step, using what little strength I could muster, but it was a pointless endeavor, I could go no further.

After all that has happened this is how it ends? I thought as I mentally prepared for whatever lay beyond the gates of death, "What the hay is that thing?" a boyish voice interrupted my epitaph as slowly, everything began to darken.