• Published 26th Oct 2012
  • 8,902 Views, 1,089 Comments

Becoming Fluttershy - Hope



A philosophical and comedic story of becoming one with my inner pony.

  • ...
60
 1,089
 8,902

PreviousChapters Next
chapter 46. The world's ears

It's like the scene from a movie where the hero looks out on overwhelming odds before charging in bravely. Except I am no hero, and I am by no means brave. I learned my lesson, and I will not pretend to be something I am not. This is not my environment, and I am not comfortable with it, but I would speak in front of the entirety of the world before I let my friends down.

We trot out of the hotel doors and manage to get down to the stairs before the gathered throng of reporters gets over our costumes and quick exit, Reid senses the oncoming storm just before it hits.

"Soooo. Here we are, in the middle of a crowd of reporters and--" She gets off by the sudden shout from the first of the mob.

“WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE DISAPPEARANCE OF THE PRINCESSES?” The first question is quickly followed by more, almost screams to be heard over each other. Like rabid animals scrambling for a fresh kill, I am tempted to tell them off, to explain to them just how primitive and savage they are, but I don't think they would even hear me.

“Do you think that the purple unicorn is dead?” The second question, meaning that the world already knows of Twilight's injury, and that it will likely be one of the main topics of conversation in any interviews to come, it makes me sick that they would use this as a talking point to draw in an eager and bloodthirsty crowd.

“How do you intend to repair the damage to the calendar?" Then there is plain old ignorance. Blame the clearest target for the problem, and hound them until you get a good story. Pathetic.

“Are you intending to take your fans to Equestria?” Now that is a good question. I can imagine hordes of brony tourists descending on my little cottage. I wonder if I can hire a unicorn bodyguard to teleport them all into the lake.

“All questions will be answered later!” Ian tries to say, though his small voice is ignored just as much as mine would be, unless...

I stop and take a deep breath, turning to face the reporters and steadfastly ignoring them, focusing instead on a white shape behind them, in order to keep the rising panic at bay.

“Unfortunately, due to some scheduling difficulties, we are unable to take the time to answer your questions at this moment, however we will be holding a press conference in another city, and details will be released shortly.” I say, getting flashes and cameras practically shoved up my nose as I can feel my legs shaking slightly.

I turn to continue our walk but almost run into the monochrome pony before she speaks up.

"But I do have a statement I’d like to make." She then turns to whisper into my ear, "Just follow my lead...”

Then the strangest thing happens. I feel a beat in my head, the rhythm for a song that Pinkie then begins to fill in with words, and I recognize almost instantly.

“Boys and girls of every age.....wouldn’t you like to see something strange?”

I don't even have to dig through my memory for the lyrics, they just come to me as I open my mouth. "Come with us, and you will see, This our town of Holloween!”

Ian seems less impressed. “Really?”

Linda rolls her eyes and joins into our song. “This is halloween, this is Halloween, pumpkins scream in the dead of night!”

But then the world goes sideways, I spot a griffon shoving its way into the crowd of reporters, heading towards us. Gilda.

“This is Halloween! EVERYBODY MAKE A SCENE.” She shouts as she sends the crowd stumbling with rough shoves.

I can feel myself involuntarily backing away in fright, my instincts telling me to run, my dual memory telling me that there is no need, that Gilda is not a threat. I have to struggle not to dash into the safety of the hotel.

Reid takes that moment to jump onto Gilda's back, smiling as though it were just another pony and continuing the song.

“Trick or treat, till the neighbors come and die of fright!”

“It's our town, everybody scream! ...in this town of Halloween.” Julien adds.

"I am the one hiding under your bed, Teeth ground sharp, and eyes glowing RED!” Reid grins to show off her fake fangs and her red contacts.

I am compelled to continue my part of the song despite my fear and confusion. “I am the one hiding under your s... stairs, feathers like snakes and spiders in my hair.”

Gilda hears me and flashes me a smile, or a sneer, I can't tell.

Linda and our remaining human troupe pick up the chorus, “This is Halloween, this is Halloween, Halloween Halloween, Halloween, Halloween!”

Then Julien and Ian start the next verse as I back towards my car, eager to leave but still urged by the beat to remain in the sudden song and dance number. “In this town we call home, everyone hail to the pumpkin song!”

Suddenly Reid is next to me and pirouettes while singing her line. “In this town, don't we love it now? Everybody's waiting for the next surprise!”

My voice joins in, somehow audible despite the music of questionable source. ”Round that corner, man hiding in the trash can, Something's waiting now to pounce, and how you'll...”

“Scream! This is Halloween, Red 'n' black, slimy green!” most of our group shouts, scaring me into practically clinging to Reid in fright.

“Aren't you scared?” Gilda asks as she pushes away the persistent reporters.

Linda replies; “Well, that's just fine!” Before taking to the air. “Say it once, say it twice, take a chance and roll the dice! Ride with the moon in the dead of night!”

“Everybody scream, everybody scream!” Harold demands.

“In our town of Halloween!” Ginny dances with him, just before we all join into the song together.

“This is Halloween, this is Halloween, Halloween! Halloween! Halloween! Halloween! Halloween! Halloween!”

Ian seems to have somehow made it onto Julien's head; “Tender lumplings everywhere, life's no fun without a good scare.”

“That's our job--” Reid starts.

“--but we're not mean!” I continue, before continuing in a duet with her; “In our town of Halloween...”

“In this town, don't we love it now? Everybody's waiting for the next surprise!” Julien calls.

Then I hear Gilda above me, flying with Linda as they sing. “This is Halloween, this is Halloween,Halloween! Halloween! Halloween! Halloween!”

And of course, Apple Bloom... I mean Ian joins in from the ground. “In this town we call home, everyone hail to the pumpkin song.”

Then we all fall into the final verse as we somehow end up in a pyramid with Ian on top, and thankfully Gilda on another corner from me. “La la la, la-la la la la, la-la la la la, la-la la, la-la whee!”

I take a few breaths as the remaining reporters and passer by clap and cheer, and we slowly disassemble our structure, returning to the safety of the ground. I carry Ian down and set him on the sidewalk gently.

“Oh, and also, we’ve decided to go around this city and ask for candy while wearing funny costumes. Is that alright with everyone?” Reid asks, likely expecting it to be a hypothetical question before Gilda speaks up.

“Hell no. Let’s talk.”

“Um... so yes, we will be trick or treating, thank you everyone!” I manage to pull our group away from the clutches of the media and to the parking lot, where we gather in between the van and my car, the entire time my mind whirring, trying to figure out how Gilda got here, why she would come here of all places if she was already in New York, and how she was in such remarkably good health when her last contact with me was to tell me she had been shot.

"So... You said you got shot in that message.” I start, looking at her with concern.

“I did. I got better.” She says, leaning against the van in a carefree and careless manner, smirking as she looks me over. “Why? You worried, Flutters?”

I can't answer that, I know it's just meant to tease me, but it feels like she is stalking me, trying to trap me in anything I say.

But I don't want others to get upset at her either, I realize as Julien jumps to my defense. “Why are you here? You should be headed to New York with everyone else, or headed somewhere else instead of coming here to antagonize Erica.”

Reid holds out a hoof to stop us. “Hey, what? She got shot? Wait wait wait, sorry, back up here. When did this happen?!”

“Doesn’t matter.” Gilda grumbles, looking away with something akin to regret in her eyes. “I can’t exactly let you get to New York, you see. Pretty obvious trap.”

I believe that I am the only one that notices her clenching her talons out of nervous reflex, the same thing she did when she left Sugarcube Corner, claiming that Dash was in the wrong.

“Yes. I get it. Dissy’s playing a fun game.... you got any better ideas?” Reid counters, not aggressively as much as exasperated.

“It does matter,” I interject. “When did you get shot? Because if it was when you sent that message, it was only two days ago or so.” I know it hasn’t been very long. I also know that a bullet wound of any sort, even low caliber, can leave muscle damage that lasts for weeks.

Gilda seems taken aback, looking more surprised at my time frame than my willingness to confront her. “Only two days? Felt a whole lot longer than that, Shy. ‘Sides, I had it treated. Found a friendly ranger...” She shakes her head, almost as if stating someone was friendly is toxic to her. “Really, it doesn’t matter anymore.”

Nothing matters anymore.

“Uh huh. Alright, you can play tough girl for a little while longer, but if you start hurting from your obviously makeshift healing... whatever, you tell us or I get to bop you on the head.” Reid said happily. “Welcome to the caravan by the way!”

I feel unfocused, as though I am not listening to those around me as well as I should. I blink a few times and regain my perspective, seeing a cocky and pleased Gilda blinking back.

“...Caravan? The...” She shakes her head, as confused as I am.

“We have three cars and three drivers... well, four if you can drive.” Harold points out our situation, probably in the hope that Gilda’s human would assist us.

Ian huffs and crosses his adorable little forelegs. “Ah was one of tha drivers... till this mornen.”

I can see Reid sniffing curiously as Gilda leans against the van and asks “...What’s a car?”

The cosplayers and Cadance stare at Gilda with a mix of bemused and baffled expressions. I feel like I am being choked, like I can’t speak for a moment as Reid interjects.

“....where’s your human?”

I finally find my voice and bring myself to focus on what is going on in front of me, “A car is one of these. A cart that moves when you press a pedal. But really, what happened to your human half? We all had to go through it, no need to be embarrassed, Gilda.”

My attempt at kindness only earns a growl and glare from the griffon. “I’m not embarrassed. I have no idea where the hell he is,” she finally admits, looking a bit disturbed. “Where the hell is that ungrateful shard monger...”

Such an ungrateful pony you are.

I hear muffled talking as I try to focus on my surroundings again, to bring myself back to reality.

Everyone falls silent for a moment and I look around, wondering if they had asked me a question.

“Yeeeeeah.” Ginny says with an awkward look at Gilda, a telling sign that I am off the hook.

“Wait, just a second. There was a human mind there, and now it is gone?” Julien clarifies, a look of concern on his face.

The griffon seems less concerned, shrugging nonchalantly. “Look, he just hasn’t done anything in a few hours. I’m sure he’s just sulking or something. He does that.”

Ian puts a hoof to his face with a grimace, just before Reid speaks up.

“....you’re in heat aren't you.”

pretty much everyone places a hoof or hand against their head in a solid sign of disbelief at Reid’s oblivious outing of Gilda’s state.

“Shut up. Really. You gotta tell everyone here that? Dweeb, maybe I DIDN'T WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW?” She shouts, looking as furious as the day she was pranked during her welcome party.

“...actually, on second thought, nothing I could say could fix this situation, so I’m wiping the last half minute from my memory. Let’s go trick or treating!” Reid says with an oblivious smile, summoning a pumpkin Halloween basket and skipping off in a carefree manner.

Nothing could fix this situation.

I give Gilda a hug, not caring if I may get smacked or yelled at, I just grab her and hold her with my forelegs.

“Come trick or treating with us. please?” I beg.

After sitting with an expression of befuddlement and aggravation on her face for a moment she finally replies. “... The hell? Seriously? Fine,” she says, flinching away from my embrace.

“Sorry ‘bout him... he was awkward before tha whole... Pinkie thang.” Ian says, his newfound girly twang amusing me at some level.

I release Gilda and look to the assembled ponied. “Oh yeah, so the human halves... Pinkie’s human half is named Reid, mine was named Erica, This here is Ian, in Applebloom’s body. Cadance’s human half is Linda and This is Julien with Shining Armor’s body.”

Linda winces at the mention of Julien. “Actually, Julien and Shining are... um... the same, now...”

“Oh yeah, forgot to make an announcement, But anyway...” The white unicorn rubs the back of his head with a hoof, seeming unsure how to address it.

I wonder if he will be different now, but of course he will. I barely knew Shining Armor as Fluttershy, only meeting him once and for a short time at that. Julien I knew well as a roommate and a friend. it makes me feel a bit sick as I realize that he must have gone through the same thoughts when I merged, and I did nothing to try and help or communicate it. Everything will turn out fine, everything will be okay...

I turn away as Gilda takes on an expression of illness similar to what I feel. “The same? That h-happens?”

“I know how you feel... Look, no offense against you, GIlda, but you’ve got to figure out what happened to your human before you lose him entirely.” Linda points out with a frown, as I sneak away to look for my pink pony, maybe everything will be okay with her around.

PreviousChapters Next