• Published 20th Oct 2012
  • 22,638 Views, 1,308 Comments

A Dream is a Wish...or a Nightmare - Mekon



When you wish upon a star, you may not get what you're actually looking for.

  • ...
42
 1,308
 22,638

Promises

Nightmare walked.

To where? She didn't quite know.

What she did know, however, was that she needed to clear her mind and heart, both of which were muddled considerably by the past. Her talk with Luna had opened up some very old scars and misshapen wounds, injuries that had never quite healed despite how much time had passed. It was her cross to bear though, but that didn't mean it was easy.

Nightmare was lost. She knew exactly what she was supposed to do, what she had pledged to do, but how? How when it hurt her to do it?

Twilight just reminded her so much of....

“NO! Twilight is not....She's dead. Forget it. It's in the past, and you can't change the past,” she said bitterly, shaking her head fiercely.

The dream goddess hadn't noticed she had been walking aimlessly for a very long time now, and when she looked up from her thoughts, she had absolutely no idea where she was. What she did know was that this definitely wasn't Ponyville, if the creeping darkness, croaking sounds, repugnant smells and super-dense treeline were anything to go by.

“Great...Brilliant job Nightmare,” she muttered, sitting down against the bark of an old tree, knowing that she had gotten herself lost in the Everfree Forest of all places. Despite living so long, Nightmare had little knowledge of this place other than where the first castle built by Luna and Celestia was. And that information stemmed from her general knowledge of the main Ponyville entrance into the forsaken forest, something that she had surely not gone through.

She sighed and shrugged, picking up a small flower and crumbling it in her hooves. At least now, she had some time to think.

Just what was she in this world? Was she real? Not real? Corporeal? Or only partly? Did she earn an existence or was it merely a cruel joke of fate where she only got to taste it before it was ripped away again?

Would she disappear and be whisked off to another when Twilight's wish was fulfilled? If not, what would she do? Would Twilight send her away? And when it was all said and done, would her mistress still consider her a friend? And above all, why did she care if Twilight did or did not? None of her other masters and mistresses had ever affected her like this....Tentatively, she hoped to stay...She was happy here, truly happy.

But could she have a real future in this world?.....Did she even deserve one?.....Even after everything she had done?......

She was so busy questioning herself that she didn't notice hoofsteps approach her.

“You look troubled Miss Dreamscape, or shall I call you by your true namesake?” a rhythmic voice asked, rousing Nightmare out of her crisis session. The hidden alicorn looked up find Zecora staring at her with some concern. “If pondering the secrets of your life, here, it is unwise as dangers are rife.”

“Zecora right?” Nightmare asked, ignoring the warning and reigning in her mental monologue of questions, “I never did get to thank you for crafting that necklace....”

“Twas not a problem you see. After all, you saved both Twilight and me,” the zebra answered warmly, setting herself down, “Imagine my surprise when I learned of the fact, that the Nightmare Moon rumors were not all exact.”

“Yeah well...lots of things are never as they seem apparently,” Nightmare answered dryly, shaking her head. She wondered what Twilight was doing right now, probably enjoying herself. Zecora hummed in agreement, looking around to occupy herself as she waited for Nightmare to continue.

The dream goddess fidgeted uncomfortably, not quite sure how to react to the alchemist zebra's subtle probing. After three-thousand years of living as a cursed spirit, one tends to learn to keep feelings close to their proverbial chest. Eventually, Zecora finally got the message that she would have to drag it out of the stubborn goddess.

“So? Shall you expose your fears? Or must I drag it out with threats and tears?” Zecora asked, a wide, toothy grin spreading across her face. The dream goddess cringed slightly.

“You know...for a humble, alchemist zebra, you're kind of scary sometimes...” the dream goddess responded warily.

“Tis a talent one must invest, if you wish to live in this cursed forest,” she said with a small chuckle, gesturing for Nightmare to start.

“You're not going to just take the answer 'I'm fine.' are you?” Nightmare asked sarcastically, sighing, earning only patient silence from the zebra whose eyes waited expectantly, “Fine...I guess there are some things that are bothering me now that I've gotten the time to really think about it...”

“Do explain. It may help alleviate your pain,” Zecora encouraged, gesturing for Nightmare to go on, comfortably reclining against a neighboring tree, knowing the goddess' natural presence would ward off most minor creatures.

“Have you...have you ever had the feeling of being lost? I feel that way...Sometimes I really do wish I had that eternal goddess wisdom that Celestia can just put out...I mean...I may be like three-thousand years old or so...but in reality, I've only lived for a good maybe....I don't know really....fifty or so years in the real world?” the goddess began, struggling a bit as she dug up bits of her broken past, “Even staying on the moon for a thousand extra years couldn't be counted as living...”

Zecora nodded in understanding. In the terms of the goddesses, Nightmare was frightfully young. Even the average unicorn lived easily to two hundred years old, and the stronger ones could survive for centuries. In relative terms, Nightmare was more like a confused teenager than anything else.

“And my blasted curse....The process was always the same. Find a kindred spirit, help them out and then leave...But now....after so long I'm happy...and....”

“You do not wish to depart, but you are unsure of what lies in your heart,” Zecora supplemented precisely, and Nightmare hung her head in shame.

“Is it selfish of me? To know that you promised something to somepony, but to fear the consequences of fulling that promise?....to know that if you don't fulfill your promise, you'll be cursed, but if you do...you'll be cursed in another...” she whispered weakly, pawing the ground to distract herself, “What do I do? Do I fulfill my promise and potentially lose everything again? Or do I try my best to postpone it to live in happiness for a while but still lose everything again in the ultimate end?”

“A choice of roads appears before you, but to choose a road is decided by who?” the zebra asked wisely, smiling sadly. Nightmare groaned, placing her face in her hooves, not wanting to face another conflict like that. “However, dear goddess. Nopony said a road must be picked, yes? A journey is conducted in many ways, from sea to air, you must also appraise.”

“What are you trying to tell me? To just find my own way to deal with the problem!?” Nightmare asked, getting a bit emotional, “That is my whole problem! I don't know what to do. I don't know what to pick. Because neither one ends with me being happy at all! One path will hurt a lot, and the other path will hurt even more in the end in exchange for brief joy....”

“A known path is walked by a previous pony first. Explore a path that is unrehearsed. Only then may you find an answer that you seek, but beware, your happiness, you shall not find if your steps are weak,” Zecora counseled, standing up and nodding to the goddess. Without another word, she turned around and walked away into the dark underbrush, melting away, leaving Nightmare to her thoughts.

“Ugh...I don't even know what the feathering funk that means for me though,” the goddess growled unhappily, slumping in defeat, “How in Equestria am I supposed to forge my own path if I don't even know where I want to go?”

“There you are! What do you think you're doing?!” a voice suddenly screeched, causing Nightmare to jump in surprise, “Do you have any idea how long we've been searching for you!?” The goddess blinked in disbelief; her mistress had just suddenly appeared, bursting through the underbrush with a look of pure fury and worry etched on it.

“Uh...wait....wait....what?” Nightmare articulated intelligently, trying to wrap her mind around what was going on. Why was Twilight here?

“You idiot! You've been missing for almost two hours already! I sent everypony out trying to find you!” Twilight screamed, stalking close and closer to Nightmare, restraining herself from throttling her, “Do you have any idea how worried I was!?”

“What? Why were you so worried about me of all ponies?” the dream goddess asked in confusion, “I mean...you didn't have...”

“Stupid! Last time you nearly died because you almost lost your magical energy! Who knows what the effective range on this thing is?!” Twilight continued yelling, floating the onyx and gold necklace she always wore now into Nightmare's face, “And what in Celestia's name were you doing out here of all places?! Who knows what is out here! What possessed you to walk into the bloody Everfree Forest of all the feathering places you could have wandered off to?!”

“I..I'm sure I would have been fine...” Nightmare answered weakly, wincing at how upset her mistress was.

“Argh! Idiot! We agreed already! You are not to leave my sight for any extended period of time! The magic that is holding your corporeal form together isn't completely stable or self-sustaining!” Twilight continued, stalking closer and closer to the disguised alicorn who was backed up against a tree like a cornered kitten. Suddenly, Twilight stopped talking and took a few deep breaths, lowering her voice to a pained whimper. “I promised...I promised I wouldn't let you die one me. Don't go doing stupid things like this and put yourself in danger...please.. Without me there, I don't think you could do enough magic to save yourself if you were attacked or got hurt....”

Nightmare flinched at the pathetic tone of her mistress, her heart flooded with guilt. She was sure she could even seen some tears.

“I'm sorry....” the dream goddess whispered softly, hanging her head in shame, “But...you didn't have to worry so much. I mean...I'm not even real anyway...This body isn't real...I'm just...” She didn't get to say much more, because a stinging pain snapped her out of it; she looked on in shock. Twilight had slapped her!

“Don't. Talk. That. Way,” the lavender mare growled, “You're a pony just like everypony else. You eat. You talk. You laugh. You sleep. You make jokes and smile. You can cry, and you can feel. You're not worth anything less than any other pony. You're one of my friends. I swear if I hear you talk that way again...How do you think everypony would react if you disappeared suddenly? Spike would be upset. Pinkie would be devastated. Rarity would be distraught. Applejack would worry. Fluttershy would cry. Rainbow would freak out. Luna would try to find you again. And I....I would....kind of...miss you.”

Nightmare almost cried. It had been so long since she had experienced such a level of acceptance. It only made her feel worse that she had worried Twilight.

“I'm sorry...” she said softly again, “I...I didn't mean to worry anypony. I just needed time to think about some things...” Twilight sniffed, wiping her eyes and nodded in understanding while giving herself time to compose herself.

“Next time...couldn't you sort out your thoughts in your room or something?” Twilight asked quietly, “I don't think the Everfree makes for a good environment to sort out your thoughts. Besides the threat of dangerous plants and creatures, the scenery isn't all that great either.” Nightmare chuckled, nodding her head in agreement.

“But I don’t even have a room....or a bed really...” she responded with a small smile.

“Ahh...well..Uh. I'm working on that,” Twilight answered truthfully, “I mean...It looks like you're going to stay for a while...That is if you want to...” Nightmare's heart softened at the gesture, and she truly smiled.

“I'd love to,” she answered honestly, a wide grin across her face, “Though it's too bad I don't get to share your bed with you anymore.” She pouted, acting upset.

“Yeah well. I don't think you've quite earned that right yet, pet,” Twilight replied by reflex, blushing hard as her brain finally caught up with her words. Nightmare actually fell to the floor laughing.

“Oh, I really have corrupted you Mistress,” she said, beaming, “I remember a time where you used to squeak, blush and stammer at everything I said!”

“Shut it you...” Twilight muttered, beginning to walk away, motioning for Nightmare to follow. With a little jump in her step, the goddess followed her mistress through the forest.

Perhaps she didn't quite know where to go...so instead, Nightmare decided that she would just follow Twilight all the way to the end.

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

“Ugh...I could have sworn this was the right way!” Twilight repeated for the fifteen-hundredth time, forcing her way through the underbrush, “Why in the world did you go off the path? I don't even know how I found you last time now that I think about it!”

“I sort of wandered without thinking.....I didn't even know where I was until I finally realized it,” Nightmare said sheepishly, “And I think you probably found me because of the magical connection we share. Naturally, you'd be able to find me through that.”

“While I'd love to flush out the idea of magical, symbiotic relationships, we need to find a way out of here,” the lavender mare responded icily, becoming antsier with each minute she spent in this forsaken jungle, “Can you fly over these trees or something? If I even tried the wing construct spell, they'd shatter for sure.”

“No. As far as I can tell, my corporeal form is locked into this unicorn base state. If we somehow changed it, it could alter the nature of our magical connection....for better or worse is unknown though...” she answered sagely, taking a quick look around again. Everything looked the same!

“Great...Well I would try teleporting to the tops of these trees, but since I can't see past them, I might end up being run through by a branch...”

“Yeah...let's not do that. If you go down, I'll probably follow...”

The lavender mare groaned, wishing she could just slice through all of these trees with a good, overpowered cutting spell, though she would unleash another whole problem, mainly the upset creatures that would attempt to kill them and eat them for destroying their homes.

They walked on in a straight line diligently, hoping they would stumble upon the path at some point or at least a landmark they could use to guide themselves back to Ponyville.

“Where's Zecora when you really need her?” Twilight grumbled to herself, climbing over a large tree root, “I still don't get how that mare lives in this place. From the timber wolf packs to the manticores, what sane pony would work here? Much less live here?”

“Who knows? Maybe she just does it for kicks...likes the thrill or something,” Nightmare said, levitating a fallen tree trunk out of the way, “Are you sure you don't know a compass spell or something we can use to direct ourselves? I feel like we're moving further in than out...”

“Not really....but maybe I can try something. Look around for me and see if you can find some water,” Twilight said, snapping a small twig off of a tree and casting a spell slowly. Meanwhile, Nightmare looked around the area for any water.

She was in luck. There was a small stream of water running through the dirt, just a hoof wide, nearby. Looking around, she picked off a large leaf, fashioned it into a makeshift bowl and collected the water.

“Alright. I got it,” Nightmare announced as she walked back to her mistress with the leaf, “So what are we trying to do here?”

“An old magnetizing spell. I'm going to use the old kindergarten, magnetic needle trick. It might be a bit off though since I'm using a twig, but I think we'll get enough of a general idea,” Twilight supplied, placing the magnetized twig in the water, waiting for it to align itself.

“Looks like that way is north,” the dream goddess commented as she watched the tip of the twig swivel around, “So we head that way and a bit west till we hit Ponyville, and I don't think we're that far in so we should be okay.”

“Hopefully,” the purple unicorn groused, knowing that stating such things was dangerous, “Let's just get out of here as fast as we can. Everypony else is looking for us.”

“Right,” Nightmare responded, knowing now was not a good time be messing around. They trekked through the jungle in the direction of the twig, but instead of it getting less forest-y, it only seemed to get denser and denser.

“Uh..Are you sure this is the right way?” the disguised alicorn asked, struggling to get through the underbrush. The fact that the forest wasn't thinning was concerning.

“According to this compass, this should be the right way...” Twilight said, a bit unsure, instinctively moving closer to Nightmare for extra protection.

“I don't know...I'm getting a bad feeling about this. We should turn back,” Nightmare said, stopping in place, intent on turning around. This place just reeked of something dark.

“I'm sure we're close. Let's just keep going,” her mistress insisted, and obediently, the dream goddess reluctantly followed, though she was keeping her ears and eyes on full alert. Her senses were screaming at her to get out of this place!

Abruptly, they burst through the brush into an open clearing where a cave was situated as the main structure. Around it, a few scattered white rocks were sticking out of the ground at weird angles.

“Huh....I've never seen this place before,” Twilight commented, her scientific side coming out, “What an unusual little cave. Say, Nightmare, what do you think these weird rocks are made out of? Fragmented marble? Maybe even white granite?”

Nightmare took a second to analyze one of the rocks. Her mouth opened in a silent scream as she jumped back, aghast.

“Twilight!” she hissed, edging far away from the entrance to the cave, “We need to get out of here now! Those aren't rocks! Those are bones!”

Twilight took a second to process that, her hoof already touching one of the fragments, and without a thought as to where she was, the purple unicorn screamed, jumping high into the air.

That was the wrong move to make....

Suddenly, a loud, angry roar echoed from the cave, and Twilight ran to Nightmare. She turned around just in time to see what had emerged from the cave and gasped in fear.

“No no no no!” Twilight screamed as the four-headed beast exited the cave, grouchy from being woken up from its slumber. The lion head gnashed its teeth while the dragon breathed out a bit of fire to express his displeasure. The goat head brandished its sharp horns while the snake tail hissed in annoyance. “The chimera!? Run!”

Nightmare didn't need telling twice. She grabbed Twilight and hightailed it out of there, not caring anymore for the scratches and bumps she got along the way. They weaved their way through the trees, jumping over and sliding under branches and vines and pits and bushes. However, they knew the chimera wasn't far behind. Its draconic wings beat powerfully above them, and blasts of fire rained down upon them, sending fiery trees and leaves down onto their heads.

Twilight had been yelling her head off for a good few minutes until Nightmare told her to be quiet so they couldn't be tracked by the lion head's superior hearing. That had shut the purple unicorn up pretty quickly, but it didn't detract from her panic at all.

All of a sudden, they ran into another clearing, but the chimera was already sitting there, waiting, its eyes filled with hunger and malice.

“Oh no. Oh no,” Twilight said fearfully, backing away instinctively as the hungry glint in all eight eyes froze up her insides. Without warning, the dragon head fired a ball of magical fire at them, and Nightmare quickly cast a shield, grunting at the dragon fire ate away at her magic.

“Not good. Not good..I can't get enough power....” Nightmare said between gritted teeth, wincing as another blast of flame battered her shield.

“What are we going to do!? This is a chimera! Magic doesn't work against it!” Twilight said fearfully, trying to think of some way out.

“I'll distract it and...”

“NO! I TOLD YOU ALREADY! I WOULDN'T LET YOU DIE! WE'RE IN THIS TOGETHER WHETER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT!”

Nightmare grimaced, but nodded, reinforcing her shield with a bit of effort. “Ugh.....If only I had access to all of my power,” she groaned, nearly collapsing as the beast physically rammed into the barrier. She was losing strength and fast, and Twilight's mental state was affecting the magical stream between them.

Twilight tried to do something, sending a few blasting spells at the chimera through the shield in the hopes that it would push it back and buy them some time. Unfortunately, the bolts of magic only glanced off of the beast's chest and served to enrage it further. It's tails were literally spitting venom in rage!

The dream goddess had to figure out how to get access to all of her power and fast or else they would be monster food!

Another blast of fire and poison hit the shield, nearly taking it down, and Nightmare knew the next hit would render her barrier completely useless.

She had to think fast! Twilight had her powers locked inside of her. The onyx necklace served as a magical focus point for her existence on the corporeal plane. Twilight had her power...but how did she get to it!?

“Twilight! Come here quick!” Nightmare screamed, lunging at her mistress. Colliding with Twilight, the grounded goddess touched the necklace in the hopes that something would happen......but nothing did. And then, a ball of flame hit the shield, shattering it completely. They were out in the open.

The chimera roared triumphantly, preparing to charge, its legs raring to go.

“There has to be something! There has to be something! How do I get to my power inside of you Twilight!?” Nightmare screamed mentally, thinking about anything that could possibly be the answer. She had to get into Twilight's magical essence....into....

Nightmare blinked. It was crazy, and it was stupid. But heck, what did she have to lose!?

“Sorry about this Twilight,” she breathed out, unable to believe she was going to try this. Without waiting for Twilight to respond, Nightmare dipped down and captured her mistress in a deep kiss while her hoof touched the gem on her necklace.

The chimera lunged, intent on slashing the duo to pieces, its mouth already watering in anticipation. Mid-leap, a wave of power blasted it back, sending it crashing into the trees, and it screeched in fury and pain.

It looked up, only able to find one of its prey in the clearing now, though its instincts were telling it that there was danger nearby.

“HOW DARE YOU!? THIS IS THE SECOND TIME YOU HAVE TRIED TO KILL MY CHOSEN MISTRESS!” the small frame of Twilight Sparkle screamed, her voice unusually layered with power as tendrils of magic whipped and snapped around her, “I SPARED YOU THE LAST TIME! BUT NOW YOU WILL PERISH! DIE YOU FOOLISH BEAST!”

A vortex of pure magic engulfed Twilight, and a moment later, Nightmare Moon stood in all of her glory and power. Her eyes blazed in anger as storm clouds gathered overhead in response to the huge influx of magic.

She brandished her horn and jumped into battle once again. The goddess had made a promise, and she intended to keep it.