• Published 20th Oct 2012
  • 22,641 Views, 1,308 Comments

A Dream is a Wish...or a Nightmare - Mekon



When you wish upon a star, you may not get what you're actually looking for.

  • ...
42
 1,308
 22,641

Waking

A sudden storm was brewing, its thunderous cries crackling menacingly in the nearing distance, booming powerfully through the salty, cosmic air, resounding through Twilight's frame and shaking the boat slightly. The waves, previously at peace, became restless as the sea of cosmic stars began to sway and press itself against the walls of the boat imposingly, coating the wooden hull with fresh moisture, the residue of half-made galaxies and nearly-formed stars.

The wooden dinghy moaned and creaked painfully as strong, icy winds began to assault its weakened barriers, pelting it and its passengers with sharp flecks of cosmic water mixed with harsh intent, a sample of what was to come.

Fearfully, Twilight sank down into the vessel, placing her head underneath her shaking hooves to throw herself out of the howling wind's path, but she was unable to escape the resounding booms and slams and yells that pieced the wooden walls around her. The storm growled, howled, screamed as it approached, each word a curse, each sentence a damnation, and the frightened unicorn asked the Night what they should do to save themselves from wrathful force of the incoming tempest.

She didn't answer and only continued leading them forward with a stony eye of silence through the misty and rain-filled air.

The shakes began to invade Twilight's entire body as the wind became a gale that continued to grow stronger and fiercer, flinging and pushing the starry waters higher and higher, like a slow, inevitable swing of a pendulum approaching its ascending mark. The soft undulations of the sea became unrestrained, slamming and bashing the sole vessel with relentless aggression, and before the unicorn could cry out in alarm, she found that the seas of starlight had transformed into a monstrous ocean of torrential tyrants, casting their watery shadows down upon the ship below. Her vision became a blur as the ship was tossed and thrown around in the merciless waters, empowered by the imminent storm.

The growing gale became deafening and the flying water became blinding and the cosmic salt became poison, all while Twilight desperately hung onto the slippery, wooden sides of their rag-doll boat. The water splashed over the sides from all directions, slipping in and out dangerously, drenching and coating them over and over again, incessant and more potent with each pass.

An unheard yell of fear was thrown against the unchained tempest, lost among the screeching wind and rumbling waves.

Twilight opened her eyes, weathering the stinging pain and needle-like water, hoping that the sight of her beloved would calm her nerves and give her enough strength to weather out the raging storm, but alas, her Night could not be found sitting in the boat; Twilight was alone.

Shock struck her, rooting her in place and stopping all thought, and a new fear overtook her, a frightening possibility that easily outclassed the oncoming raging tempest. A cry of absolute anguish wracked her soul as she backed up against the damp and unfeeling walls of the boat, and the cold that gripped her body was nothing compared to the dread that filled her heart and soul. She called out for her dearest, but they were in vain, torn to shreds against the walls of the monsoon like little hopeless doves in a hurricane.

The stars and swirling cosmos were gone, and in their place, an empty, endless void of pure blackness and death manifested in the waters. Everything was one, simple, dark and suffocating color, and all around her she was surrounded in a prison of loneliness, hopelessness and all encompassing terror.

The boat began to fill, the tar-colored liquid around her as if the substance itself wished for her full embrace, creeping up and through the boat, seeping easily through the walls like an unbidden and accursed spirit.

Twilight couldn't move, her own heavy horror and the actual, possessed water keeping her captive on the slowly sinking boat. She gasped and struggled, her own hot tears joining the falling raindrops, splashing down into the water to betray her in the end.

It was up to her neck now, the hand of death's personified vice acting through the ebony waters, still as cold and still as unforgiving.

All she could do was cry, but her tears held more meaning than a fear of death; Twilight feared why she was alone when the Night had promised to be there for her. Yet, she was no where to be found, abandoning her to die in the devilish seas.

But even now.....she loved her.

Suddenly, a ray of brilliant light ripped through the black blanket of clouds, blasting back the dark waters that had invaded the boat, freeing Twilight from their grasp.

The light was hot, like the intimate breath of a lover splashing against the cheek, and it dispelled the onyx liquid that cringed in the corners of the boat like vampires and ancient beasts that lived in eternal shadow.

They could not escape, and the light moved over them too. The water hissed and sizzled in agony as it evaporated into the air, and the boat was empty of sea once again. Twilight looked up to the hole punched in the sky, her mouth open in thankfulness and wonder.

Her breath caught fast in her throat as a single figure descended through the tear in the heavens, touching down softly into the boat as the beam expanded to illuminate the entire boat, encircling it and keeping it away from the evils of the storm that clawed at the holy barrier erected.

Twilight's eyes gathered tears, tears of true joy, as she flung herself at her savior and beloved who had never abandoned her to begin with. She cried, and she cried because she doubted, a painful truth that jumped in her chest as shame took her.

The Night did not frown or look away but instead, nuzzled her lover tenderly, whispering words of comfort and adoration, and kissed her. The lavender mare held her close as they sank down into their created sanctuary and buried her muzzle into that glorious mane, wiping her tears away in happiness.

Then the Night reiterated her vow to her dearest. She would love. She would follow. She would stay. She would guide. And above all she would protect, because Twilight was the only pony she lived for.

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

Twilight groaned, her hazy world slowly focusing as her eyes shied away from the intruding beams of Celestia's morning sun. She ached all over and the wonderful, soft sheets of her bed did little to incite her rising. The lavender mare curled up against the warm, familiar blankets of her bed, burying her face into the soft cotton while her head pounded from weariness, but she imagined it to be the silky mane of her dream lover and sighed happily.

Suddenly, everything came back to her: the Everfree Forest, Fluttershy, Zecora and the scary chimera. Rapidly sitting up in bed to check herself for any bodily injuries, Twilight was surprised to find no cuts, bruises or bandages adorning her, but she was still sore. From what, she did not know.

Regardless, it seemed that she had somehow escaped the beast, and the purple unicorn shivered in fear as she vividly remembered the menacing form of the mythological creature that had intended to devour her and Zecora alive.

How had she escaped? Twilight recalled that she had fainted from total exhaustion at the feet of the Nightmare Moon statue and there had been nopony else to come save them. Then she blinked slowly, the last thought lingering in her mind as that name crossed the forefront. Was it possible that....

All of a sudden, the door to her room swung open as a soft humming filled the air, the sweet tones reminding her of a wind chimes singing softly in the wind. She looked up to find that they belonged to none other than the same pegasus she had led into the forest, and her mouth fell agape.

Fluttershy simply strolled in, flying over to the shades in Twilight's room and pulled them up to allow fresh light into the dark room.

“Good morning Twilight,” the pegasus chimed, turning to face Twilight and smiling as if nothing had ever happened. However, when Fluttershy looked again, she found two large lilac orbs staring back at her, awake and aware. Then, the reaction hit. “Omigosh! Twilight! You're finally awake!” Fluttershy cried out as she brought the confused unicorn into an abrupt, crushing hug.

“Wha...Fluttershy?” Twilight questioned, her voice muffled by the air-tight grip of the worried pony. The lavender mare was extremely confused. Had Fluttershy, of all possible ponies, braved the dark twists and turns of the jungle and saved her and Zecora's life. She reasoned that with her ability to control any animal, mythological or not, and her stare could have possibly rescued her from the clutches of the chimera had she worked up the courage to leave the hut.

“We thought you'd never wake up! You've been sleeping for two days already!” Fluttershy slowly released her vice grip while wiping her tears out of her eyes in relief, allowing the resting unicorn to finally speak clearly and unimpeded.

“Two...two days?!” the purple unicorn choked out, “What....what happened? Did you save me?”

“Oh no, no, no,” Fluttershy answered with a vigorous shake, “I didn't save you...I was too scared to leave the hut.”

“Then....who did?”

Abruptly, another figure trotted through the door, the steps of her gait graceful and practiced. The shadow of the figure was decidedly much larger than an average pony's, and the distinct sounds of crystalline “chinks” hitting against the simple wooden flooring set Twilight into an alarmed state. Only one type of pony wore something that made that sound.

“Twilight!” an overjoyed voice called, rushing into the room and pulling the now awake, recovering mare into her hooves enthusiastically, “My dearest friend! I'm so glad you are well!” The lavender mare was suddenly thrust into a field of indigo-cobalt blue as wayward strands of Luna's silky mane caressed her face and tickled her nose.

“Huh? Princess Luna?” Twilight murmured in astonishment as she pulled her head out of the goddess' starry mane, looking straight into the goddess' face, “What are you doing here?”

“Watching over you of course Twilight! Though, when Celly asked me to check up on you, I truly did not expect something quite like this,” Luna replied cheerfully with a little giggle, “You really worried everyone though, me especially.”

“Princess Luna found you and brought you home,” Fluttershy explained, hiding behind her hair slightly, acutely aware of the fact that she was in the presence of royalty, “She even carried you home on her back.”

“Please. There is no need for formalities among friends dear Fluttershy,” the night goddess waved off with an embarrassed chuckle, “And it was not a problem at all.”

“But Princess....” Twilight began before being abruptly cut off.

“Nope! Don't want to hear it,” Luna declared happily, grinning, “If you really want to repay me for helping you, just call me Luna. It will be plenty.” The recovering unicorn fidgeted in her bed, not used to addressing either of the Royal Pony Sisters with their name alone. It seemed a bit too....intimate, especially since it was them, but the lavender mare didn't want to offend her savior.

“Okay...Luna,” she tested as a faint blush began to creep its way onto her face, “Thank you for saving me.” Luna giggled.

“Think nothing of it! I simply did what any normal pony would do. I wouldn't want my dear friend to lay sprawled on the ground in danger now would I?”

Before the unicorn could answer, Spike's calls from downstairs interrupted all three of them, announcing that breakfast was ready, and the delicious smells of haybacon and freshly seasoned eggs had their mouth-watering. Luna laughed, hugging Twilight again before excusing herself, announcing that she was famished. Fluttershy followed suit, telling Twilight that they would meet her downstairs once she had prepared for the day, leaving the mare alone in her room, at least physically.

Celestia's student didn't quite know what to make of the situation. Of all the ponies she had been expecting, Luna had definitely not been on the list, but it made her tingle happily nonetheless.

“She really has changed,” Nightmare suddenly cut in with an approving yet somehow tired voice, and Twilight managed to keep her surprise silent, nearly forgetting her curious situation. “Are you alright mistress?” Twilight grabbed the nearby, full-body mirror and deposited it at the foot of her bed, finding herself face to face with her resident goddess again who smiled warmly. Twilight's gaze became curious as she noticed the less-than-pristine look of her eyes, but she decided it wasn't anything to be too concerned about.

“I seem okay. My body is a bit sore, but remarkably, no cuts or burns or anything apparently,” she summed up as she doubled checked again to make sure she had not missed anything.

“Wonderful. I'd hate to see anything happen to that splendid body of yours,” the black alicorn responded with a genuinely relieved chuckle, drawing a timid blush from her mistress, “So what do you think?”

Twilight blinked uncomprehendingly. “Think? Think of what?”

Nightmare rolled her eyes. “C'mon. You know...Lulu.” Still the lavender mare did not understand. “Luna.”

“Oh...well um. I'm really grateful to her. Without her I'd probably be chimera chow,” the purple unicorn began before shuddering as the memory of the pouncing chimera flashed through her mind. No. Best not to think about it.

“Well that's great an all, but that's not what I was talking about,” the dream goddess answered with a giggle which Twilight responded to with an extremely perplexed expression. “You know, I don't think you usually stare so intently at the cutie mark of any passing pony,” Nightmare added with a little smirk and wink.

The mare balked, her mouth opening and closing rapidly as she tried to deny what Nightmare had just said, but the words would not come, blocked by the massive blush that invaded her cheeks, caught with her hooves in the metaphorical cookie jar. She didn't say anything, but her mind did conjure up a few choice images and feelings: the way Luna smiled at her, the way her mane had felt and how kind and brave she had been in saving her, even if she couldn't remember it.

“Well she did save me after all,” Twilight answered defiantly, slightly looking away and rubbing her hooves against the light cream sheets of her bed in an attempt to diminish her embarrassed state.

Nightmare was quiet for a moment, simply staring at her mistress before smiling lightly with understanding. “Yes...I suppose she did.”