• Published 17th Oct 2012
  • 1,401 Views, 13 Comments

The Late Shift - PessBont



Based on this piece of fanart: http://imgur.com/8P7Vi (proper source needed)

  • ...
0
 13
 1,401

Chapter 2

Rainbow wiped her brow as she finally finished cleaning the last table. In the corner of her eye, she saw Snips and Snails make their way to the door, a pizza box surrounded in magic aura floating next to them. She let out a sigh of relief as she looked up at the clock, now 11:50.

“Yes!” Rainbow quietly exclaimed to herself. She flew back to the counter and stuck her head into the kitchen.

“Hey Pinkie, it’s time to start closing, finally,” she called out, to no response.

“HI RAINBOW!” Pinkie’s voice rang out as she inexplicably appeared right next to Dash at the door. Rainbow jumped and flew headfirst into the doorframe, a painful CRACK ringing through the kitchen. She fell on her back on the ground.

“Stop doing that!” grumbled Rainbow as she rubbed a small egg forming on the top of her head.

“Sorry Rainbow, but we have a delivery!” cheerfully responded Pinkie.

“What? Can’t you tell them we’re closed? And who the heck wants a pizza at 12 at night?” asked Rainbow Dash, incredulous.

“Well, I would have, but they placed the order 20 minutes ago. OH! That reminds me, you have ten minutes to deliver this to Sweet Apple Acres!” said Pinkie as she grabbed a pizza box sitting on the counter, the tone of her voice, again, ill-matched for the information she was relaying.

“WHAT!? Why didn’t you tell me!?” said Dash, grabbing Pinkie by the ears.

“I wanted to make it a challenge for you! I know how much you like those,” said Pinkie, seeming to ignore the vaguely-threatening look on Rainbow’s face.

“Ugh, give me that!” snapped Dash as she snatched the pizza from Pinkie and bolted out the door.

“Have fun!” called out Pinkie to a now-empty restaurant.

---------------------

“Ohmanohmanohmanohman...” Rainbow chanted to herself as she raced through the streets of Ponyville. She had to keep herself from flying too fast lest she crash into an unexpected pedestrian or, worse, accidentally Sonic Rainboom en route (the last thing she needed was to be responsible for even more collateral damage by accidentally setting one of those off in the middle of town). The wind howled past her ears as she flew at breakneck speed, navigating the streets with expert precision. She looked behind her and saw that a rainbow beam was being left in her wake as she flew. She smirked to herself, not above feeling a little bit proud of her abilities.

She crossed the bridge that led the way out of Ponyville and spotted the familiar apple orchard just on the town’s outskirts. Rainbow lowered her hat on her head and accelerated, rising over the tops of the trees and just skirting their top layer of leaves. This was a race against time, and she wasn’t about to let a delivery go late on her watch. She flew with such strength and speed that some of the leaves and apples at the top of the trees were flung from their branches as she passed over them.

A rainbow-colored flash landed in front of the Apple farmhouse with enough force to kick up a large cloud of dirt around the landing zone. Rainbow stuck her landing with expert precision, but lost no time celebrating and glanced at her watch. 11:54.

“YES! Hah, Ponyville to Sweet Apple Acres in 4 minutes! That’s gotta be a record! Oh yeah, go Dashie, go Dashie!” cheered Rainbow Dash, doing a small victory trot in place. Her celebration was cut short when she noticed the lights and noise emanating from inside of the farmhouse, realizing then where exactly she was and who was the probable recipient of this delivery. She sighed, her demeanor falling back to its former level as she slowly walked towards the barn door and knocked on it. A few seconds later, the exact person Rainbow was expecting (and hoped it wouldn’t be) answered, the loud music leaking out of the opened door.

“Pffthmm...’ey everypony, the pizza’s...pizza's here!” said Applejack with a hoof to her mouth, trying to stifle giggles. Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes.

“Ha ha, very funny, AJ. Here’s your midnight snack, fatty, that’ll be $22.50,” she replied, shoving the pizza into Applejack’s hoof. “And don’t be stingy about the tip, you don’t know how fast I had to fly to get it here in time.”

Rainbow looked inside the barn through the crack in the door and, sure enough, the inside was lined with balloons, streamers, and confetti. A series of speakers were setup in the back connected to a phonogram, the apparent source of the loud music.

“What’re you doing in here?” asked Rainbow inquisitively.

“Oh, we’re just havin’ a little end-o’-the-week get together is all,” calmly said Applejack. Rainbow’s jaw dropped.

“You’re having a party and you didn't invite me!?” asked Rainbow, caught somewhere between being upset and offended.

“Nah, sugarcube, we’re not havin’ this party without you, we’re havin’ it for you! And now that you’ve brought the pizza, we can really get this thing goin’!” proudly proclaimed Applejack. Rainbow Dash gave her a confused look.

“Pinkie gave us a call not but a half hour to forty-five minutes ago sayin' you were in pretty low spirits, and that she had this crazy idea to throw you a little impromptu shindig to help cheer you up or somethin'.”

“Really? She did that?” asked Rainbow Dash, lightly scratching the back of her head.

“Eeyup, now c’mon, Rainbow, can’t have this party without its guest of honor!” said Applejack as she opened the door for her friend. Inside, Fluttershy and Rarity were putting the finishing touches on the streamer arrangements. Twilight was seated at a nearby table and waved at Dash with surprising enthusiasm. It was then that Rainbow noticed the mug of cider in her other hoof and a slight flushness to her face, which caused Rainbow to chuckle.

“Alright, awesome, just let me just fly back and help Pinkie close up shop-”

“I already took care of it, Rainbow!” cheerfully said Pinkie as she hopped up the dirt path towards the barn, still dressed in her Domino’s attire.

“Pinkie, you really did all this for me?” asked Rainbow, genuinely touched by her act.

“Yup yup! I couldn’t just leave you feeling all sad and down, I had to cheer you up somehow. I mean, what else are friends for?” Pinkie said. Rainbow smiled.

“Now c’mon, LET’S PARTAY!” loudly proclaimed Pinkie.

Applejack retired back into the barn with Pinkie hopping along behind her.

“Hey, Pinkie?” Rainbow softly asked. Pinkie stuck her head out the door.

“I...thanks. I really appreciate this,” said Rainbow, an uncharacteristic humility in her voice, lightly rubbing her arm with her hoof. Pinkie acknowledged her a smile and nod of her head, and then returned inside. Rainbow followed along right behind her, quickly wiping away a tear from her face before entering the barn.

Comments ( 11 )

Why the hell not. :twilightsheepish:

Not too shabby.
Simple enough, and a nice jolly light read.
Pretty in character for Pinkie and Dash too.
I aint gonna complain about anything that allows me to scream PinieDash through shipping goggles neither =P

Only thing I would bring up, and I know it wont be an issue for everyone, but uh..pepperoni...
Maybe it would have been better to say she was playing with a mushroom or something?
Nothing stopping ponies from having vegetarian pizza after all.

Saw the picture and immediately read it!
Great work:pinkiehappy:

1455335 Lol, didn't think of that. Thanks for the tip, changed.

Hey Applejack you gonna pay for that pizza?! :trixieshiftleft:

1457076
The whole "party" was just a ploy for free pizza. Hey, sure it would have been easier to just have some cash on hand but ... free pizza. :ajsmug:

1459128 Oh sure, and Rainbow Dash here is desperate for some money but I guess she'll just have to work another week, but hey I can't argue. :facehoof:

1460010
1459128

Don't worry, maybe if they get Twi drunk enough off AJ's cider, she'll forget all about the property damage done to the library and absolve RD of any monetary obligations.

1460759 I doubt it'll come to THAT, cause what kind of friends get another friend drunk just because one friend doesn't like working at a pizza place, I mean you know it could be a lot worse at least RD's not cleaning the bathrooms. :facehoof:

Thumbs up? Eeyup.

Login or register to comment