• Published 3rd Nov 2012
  • 3,123 Views, 185 Comments

DisQord Continuum: Equestria Rising - ZoidbergIsBestPony



Can a new pony home with peace ever be found amidst an interstellar war?

  • ...
4
 185
 3,123

War Zone

War Zone

“Captain, shields are finally online!” the voice shouted out over the intercom. Captain Hammer Hoof was too cautious to smile yet. With the armament of nothing more than a transport ship, a hull held together by shields alone, and a massive ship hidden in plain view for all to see, he would hold off any celebrations just yet.

Switching to Engineering, the captain called out, “Engineering, shields are online, are we ready?”

“Engines are still operational, sir,” one of the ponies in Engineering replied.

“Good,” said the captain. Turning to Star Swirl, he ordered, “Take us up.”

The engines revved up as the ship started to shake. With the shields in place, the pieces of the ship were held together and lifted together off of the ground. As they rose up into the sky, the endless cloud line rapidly came upon them.

“Once we’re in those clouds,” the captain called out, “it’ll be open season on us. We’d best be ready.”

The dark clouds surrounded the ship, covering it in darkness. They were so thick, only their sensors could direct them. Without them, they wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between a large pocket of black fog and an approaching ship.

They climbed higher and faster, accelerating to breach the cloud layer and reach escape velocity. The clouds grew whiter and brighter as they neared the other side. They watched in awe as they breached through the cloud line.

Three Pegasus battleships stood hovering just above the clouds, surrounding them. Bake had not detected the ships on the sensors. Three pairs of glowing red eyes glared at them, moving in to strike.


One hour earlier…

“Get this bag on the ship too!” the chancellor yelled out to Sunbeam as he frantically tried to collect every last possession in the office. Several heavy bags hung on either side of Sun, including one wrapped up in her tail and one dangling from her mouth.

“Rgght Awwy, Srrr,” she muffled back, as she started to buckle under the weight.

The chancellor had decided to assemble the Earth pony ships into a fleet prior to evacuating. The chancellor really wanted to buy some time to try to keep as much of his possessions as he could. From antiques to trinkets, to the medals he had awarded to himself as chancellor. Sun felt that if they tried to get any more of his junk onboard, they wouldn’t have room left for ponies.

Once she digi-ported up to the ship, she quickly dumped the bags in a pile, with no regard for how ‘delicate’ they might have been. Wiping the sweat from her brow, she noticed her comm. band blinking at her. In all the rush, she hadn’t realized Clover had tried five times to call her in the last fifteen minutes.

Calling back, Clover picked up as though she had been staring at the band on her hoof.

“Sun, finally! I’ve been trying to reach you!” Clover shouted into her ear.

“Yeah, it’s um..been a little crazy here today,” Sun glumly replied.

“Well, we need your help, immediately if possible!” Clover started explaining. “The Alicorns rebelled this morning. We were able to get a small rebel force to help out, but they’ve only got the one ship they stole which can’t even break orbit until they get their shields up. Are there any ships you could send to defend?”

Sun had all but forgotten about the rebellion. Tears started to well up in Sun’s eyes as the thoughts of the disaster returned to her mind. “I’m afraid they’re going to be a bit busy now, Clover…” she tried to explain. Sun regaled the story of her colony being destroyed and the destroyed Pegasus ship found at the scene, resulting in a declaration of war against the Pegasi.

“I don’t believe it,” Clover said as plainly as though Sun was telling her about a pony who may have merely stolen a bag of oats.

“What?” Sun said, startled from the response. “What do you mean, ‘you don’t believe it?’

“I don’t think the Pegasi are capable of such a weapon,” Clover tried to explain. “They may have powerful ships, but that level of magic is well beyond them. Even the Unicorns can’t have possibly made the weapon. It’s just like the Maretropolis disaster. Somepony’s attacking us, and all we can do is to blame each other!”

Clover’s explanation just wouldn’t sit in Sun’s stomach so easily. “Look, I’m terrified of the idea the Pegasi can cause such damage, but even if they’re not responsible, their ship had no business being there! At the very least, they are involved!”

Clover had no time to argue. “Well then, since you are now at war with the Pegasi, would you convince the chancellor to help out the Alicorns? He probably needs all the allies he can get!”

“Okay,” Sun replied, simply. “I’ll talk to him about it. I’m actually supposed to be trying to get you to suggest an alliance with the Unicorns.”

“Consider it done,” Clover said.

“Where’s the rebel ship now?” Sun asked.

“Center of Unity Park in the clearing. They’re going to try to escape in about forty-five minutes from now. Please hurry.”

“Will do, Clover. Bye.”

“Thanks, Sun. Bye.”

Getting back onto the digi-port pad, Sun transported back to try and recruit some help.


“GET OUR SHIELDS BACK!!!!!” Captain Hammer Hoof screamed.

“The shields are offline!” Bake answered. “We’ve got Alicorns all over the ship generating their own personal shields to cover the hull, but they won’t last long!”

“Pilot! Can you get us back into the clouds?”

Star was gripping the controls on his terminal tightly enough to rip them clean off. “Don’t worry. We’ll be in the clouds in a minute… falling...in twenty thousand pieces!!!”

“Come on! We’ve got to be able to do some–”

“Sir, I’m picking up more ships approaching fast!” Bake cut across.

“OH COME ON!!!!!!” an exacerbated captain yelled in vain.

“Wait! They’re Earth Pony ships! The trying to call us!!!” Bake cried .

“Well put them on already!”

Bake put the connection up on the view screen. An Earth pony captain, by the name of Skip Seabird appeared on the screen.

“Need a little help?” Captain Seabird asked jovially.

“I’d say a whole lot, Captain!” Captain Hammer Hoof answered back. Within an instant three Earth pony ships had descended into the battle firing on the Pegasi ships.

“If we survive this,” Hammer called out into the line. “I owe you one damn bucking good drink!”

“Make it Alicorn Ale. I’ve heard that stuff can strip a rainbow of its color!”

“Done! Now let’s get this show on the road.” Hammer cheered, returning to the fight with a vengeance.

“All weapons fire!” He shouted to the crew. “Get my shields back! Stay in line with the Earth pony ships!
The Alicorn ship turned back from the cloud line following the lead Earth pony ship.

Captain Seabird shouted out, “Aim for those blasted things’ ears! Knock out their sensors, and they’ll have to shoot from the hip!”

Targeting the lead Pegasi ship, they converged upon it, firing wave after wave of bullets at their sensors. The shields grew weaker and weaker, before fracturing. Allow the bullets to obliterate the sensors on the lead ship.

“YES!!!!” Captain Seabird shouted, as he watched the lead Pegasi ship veer off with no sensors. The disorientation caused a MEM missile they launched to strike another Pegasi ship, instead of its original target.

“Follow their lead! All ships, fire a MEM missile at the second ship. Target their Engines!” Captain Seabird commanded the fleet. Three more missiles exploded together on the second ship. The shields were no match, and the engines were completely destroyed. The ship fell out of the sky into the clouds.

All cheers were quickly squelched as the lead Pegasi ship appeared to be attempting to ram the Alicorn ship. The three Earth pony ships tried to stop the ship, but failed to notice the third Pegasi ship’s position.

The lead ship, rather than ramming the Alicorn ship, fired a MEM missile behind him into one of the Earth pony ships. Simultaneously, the other Pegasi ship fired from below up into the same ship.

This combination was enough to rupture the hull of the ship causing it to begin bursting fire from its innards. As the ship exploded, the shock wave sent all of them flying apart in opposite directions.

Trying to regain control of the ship, Star Swirl swerved around the debris and spun back up from the clouds. The ship was shaking badly, it was now held together by little more than glue and bandages, at this point, but his was the first ship to recover.

As Star veered the ship around, it came face-to-face with the lead Pegasi ship. Star’s eyes narrowed and glowed a second time. Rather than a bowl, a massive blue lance appeared; long and thin, sharp as a needle aimed straight between the eyes of the lead ship. At once, it thrust straight through, completely ignoring any shields.


Onboard the lead Pegasus ship, the captain saw a flash of light, but did not see what had happened.

“Damage Report!” he yelled out looking around the bridge.

“Um…Sir…” one of the Pegasi soldiers hesitantly tried to inform the captain. Pointing his hoof towards the captain’s chest, he said, “L-l-look!”

As the captain looked down, he could see a small hole in his chest, about the size of a bit coin. It was so clean and so fast, he hadn’t even felt it. He looked behind him in his chair. The hole had gone through the chair, through the wall, and unbeknownst to him, through the entire ship and straight out the back.

As his eyes blurred, and death neared, “Ah buck–” was all he had time to get out, before the entire ship exploded.


With the last Pegasi ship completely outgunned, it quickly retreated from the battle.

“You did it Star!” Bake shouted out merrily. “What in the blazes is going on with you today?” he asked, as he went to Star’s side. “Star?”

He looked over to find his friend, who had gone completely unconscious on top of the terminal. “Star!!!” He tried to wake him up, but to no avail. “Wake the buck up, you purple bearded bastard!”

Realizing a very big problem, Captain Hammer Hoof quickly got on the horn and called the lead Earth pony ship. “Captain, we’ve just lost our only pilot! You got one to spare?”

It took a second for Captain Seabird to respond. “Yes. I’ll send him over, what’s your destination?”

“No idea,” Hammer said honestly. “Our plan was to escape, then find shelter somewhere.”

“Well today really is your lucky day. We’ve just declared war on the Pegasi. We need all the allies we can get. Care to join the fight?”

“Sounds good to me,” Hammer answered back.

Before they closed the call, Bake suddenly spoke out. “We’ve got an injured Unicorn. He needs treatment from one of their doctors. Is their anything you can do to get him to one?”

Captain Seabird looked over to his right. Sunbeam stood off to the side. She nodded, “I can take them to Clover. She can get them help.”

Returning to the view screen, Captain Seabird replied, “Have them digi-port to our ship. We’ll get them to safety.”

Bake took Star over his back, and carried him to the nearest digi-port pad. As he laid him down on the pad, Star started to stir.

“Uh…uh…what happened?” he asked in a whisper.

“You’ll be alright,” Bake said. “You used a little too much juice is all. You’re going with the Earth ponies to get a lift to a Unicorn doctor.”

“What about the fight? You need a pilot.”

“That’s all taken care of,” Bake said. “Your job now is to get better and take care of my girls. Keep them safe. When it’s safe to move them, I’ll reach out to you. Stay safe, pal.”

“No…I…need to…”


Before Star could finish, Bake started the transport. Star disappeared off the pad.


“I have had just about enough!” Commander Hirkain hollered as he slammed his hoof across, sending his cup of hot cider flying. "Private, get the ship ready. We’re breaking orbit.”

The commander pulled out his screenpad, and began recording a message for transmission to the fleet:

Attention all Pegasi in the fleet and the colony: As of this moment, the Earth ponies

have declared war on the Pegasi. After the kindness and the hope we have given

them, they have decided to throw it back in our faces.

Now, two of our ships have been lost. We honor those brave soldiers who showed

what true loyalty in the face of danger means. We did not start this war, but we will

end it. It is time for the other races to realize that the Pegasi superiority is not a

slogan, but a cold hard truth. We will stop any ship, any pony, who tries to stop us

from achieving our destiny; our rightful place at the top.

The commander finished his transmission and sent it out across the stars to all of the Pegasi ponies. Turning to Private Pimsey, he said, “See Pansy, that is why I had those ship modifications done to the transports. I knew those good-for-nothings wouldn’t stay peaceful forever. They don’t understand loyalty like we do. Only Pegasi know the true meaning of loyalty. Isn’t that right, Private?”

Harmon had to take a rather large gulp to remove the lump in his throat. “Y-y-yes of course, Sir!” He saluted and puffed out his chest in an effort to look like a perfect soldier, with little success.

“We will show them all, that disloyalty carries a heavy price,” the commander said, as a large crooked smile broke out across his face.