• Published 16th Oct 2012
  • 808 Views, 12 Comments

Blooming Under Pressure - Dice



Applebloom is kidnapped and forced to join Canterlot's Intelligence force

  • ...
 12
 808

The Beginning

Graduation. You’d think that this would be a pleasant day, but for Applebloom, there was nothing she wanted to do less than trot across that stage.

“Blaaank flaaaank~” came a derisive whisper, and giggling floated through the room. Applebloom hung her head and tried to hide in her mane, while her two best friends growled back at the offender.

“Hey! Shut your mouth, Tiara. Save your speech.”

“Yeah, you don’t want to use up all your creativity in one go. You don’t have much to spare.”

“Sweetie belle, Scootaloo, don’t encourage them,” Applebloom muttered, her friend’s defense just rubbing salt on her wounds. Her two friends, who’d once been members of the cutie mark crusaders along with her, both now sported shining marks on their own flanks. Applebloom was the only one left in the class with a bare hindquarter.

“My wonderful class,” Cheerilee set her hooves upon the podium and began to speak, “I’ve been able to work with you since you were all little fillies, and you were just learning what the world was about…”

And so the speeches came and went, going all too fast for poor Applebloom. Why oh WHY does my name have to be first?! Applebloom nearly groaned aloud when the presentation of the diplomas was announced.

They called the first name.

“Applebloom!”

Applebloom gave in, walking up the steps to the stage like a prisoner would walk to a gallows. She nodded to the others in the audience, and shook Cheerilee’s hoof after taking her diploma, but she could still hear the murmur of the crowd.

“Why’s she graduating?” Many of them muttered, “She’s no one! She’s a blank flank!”

Each phrase and taunt made Applebloom wince, and she barely made it back to her seat. Tears threatened at the corners of her eyes, but she refused to show the others that their words had made some impact. Instead, she held her chin high, glaring defiantly at the sun.

She was determined to show the rest of them just how much potential she had.

However, after the ceremony completed, and the ponies celebrated, many of her classmates surrounded her.

“How do you feel now, blank flank?” they jeered, pushing her back and forth between them, “Feel special? You’ve got to be the only pony to ever graduate without getting a cutie mark! Haha blank flank!”

“Let me go!” Applebloom pushed her way out of the crowd and over to the wall. The other ponies laughed and trotted off to find their waiting families. Applebloom bit her lip to fight back tears. Then, beside her, she heard a voice.

“Miss… Applebloom, is it?”

Applebloom looked up to see a dark blue colt in a sharply pressed suit. His eyes were silver, as was his mane and tail.

“Yeah, that’s me. You want something?” She glared at him suspiciously. Who’s this guy?! She let her eyes trail to his hindquarter to see if his mark could give her some idea, but…

The colt smirked, tilting his leg so she could see. His flank was blank as well.

“Miss Applebloom, I’d appreciate it if you’d come with me.” He said, his low voice charming and smooth. Despite his friendly countenance, Applebloom got a strange feeling in her gut about this pony- she didn’t like it.

“S-sorry, sir, but I’ve gotta get back to my farm now…” She began to canter off, but found her way blocked by two colts that were about twice the size of the first.

“I’m sorry, Miss Applebloom, but you have no choice in this matter,” the blue colt came up behind her, his voice soft, “We are in need of ponies like you, so you will either work with us, or watch your sister die…”

A lump caught in Applebloom’s throat. “ye-yessir…”

“Good,” He moved back, “No need to pack your things. It will all be taken care of. You won’t need much where you’re going…”
XX

Applebloom followed the blue colt as he led her to a small black carriage. Once inside, the other two colts began pulling them at high speed to who knows where.

“So,” Applebloom’s voice was cold and harsh- anyone who threatened her family would get no respect from her, “May I ask where you’re taking me? What am I being dragged into?”

“You’re being ‘dragged’ into the Canterlot intelligence team,” The blue colt replied, his previously warm voice now dry, “On orders from the princess, so watch your tone of voice, kid.”

“From the princess?!” Applebloom scoffed, “The princess would never kidnap someone from their graduation! She ain’t that kind of pony!!”

“Did you ever consider,” the colt’s eyes gleamed angrily, “that maybe the princess has more issues to deal with than festivals and the latest harvest?! Princess Celestia not only has care for things going on in the bright colourful parts of the kingdom, but stuff on the grimy underside as well!”

“Grimy underside? Of Equestria?! Oh please, enlighten me!” Applebloom gave a sarcastic laugh. The colt frowned and moved back into his seat.

“That’s classified information that I can only give you if you agree to join the Force Team,” his voice was quiet once again, but his eyes were still blazing.

Applebloom closed her mouth, her mind working overtime. All she wanted to do was go home again, but she got the feeling that this colt wasn’t going to let her go. Then, why give her a choice?

“And if I do not agree to join this ‘force team’?” Applebloom said slowly.

The colt’s reply was quick and harsh, “Then we kill you.”

Applebloom had expected this, but she was still a little shocked at the readiness at which the colt proposed the measures. So she could die, or she could work for them, giving her the time to figure a better way out.

“One last question, why did you choose me?”

“That’s simple. You still don’t know who you are. We can use that to our advantage.”

“I see,” Applebloom shook her head; so this was all because she still didn’t have her cutie mark. If only the girls knew what I’m getting into now…