• Published 15th Oct 2012
  • 2,530 Views, 62 Comments

DayZ of Hardship - Nightwish



Why the fuck are you reading this? Read the Long Description!

  • ...
7
 62
 2,530

Day 1

I stepped lightly, wincing whenever the gravel crunched underneath my boots. My winchester was gripped tightly in both hands, loaded and ready to fire. The contents of my coyote pack, a revolver and some ammunition, rustled as I continued toward Berezino. My goal was to find some medical supplies, and hopefully some food.

Getting into town, I headed straight for the closest supermarket, running into a few stray zeds on the way there. Luckily, my Winchester wasn't a very loud weapon, so I was able to shoot a couple in the head and get by without pissing off the rest. The place had a good deal of the bastards, so I had to stop a few times before I finally reached the store. Checking the windows, I wasn't really surprised to see they were broken. I could see my face reflected in some of the larger shards, black hair and emerald green eyes staring back at me from a face that didn't really belong in this hell, because it looked too normal.

Climbing through the hole, I relaxed my grip on the Winchester and looked around. The place had been searched alright, but whoever searched it had been in a hurry. Taking my time, I found a good deal of canned food and water bottles laying around, though some had been crushed or emptied. Picking up a can of sardines, I scrunched up my nose in disgust, but I couldn't afford to be picky.

Taking a few cans of various food and a few water bottles, I stuffed them in my bag next to my revolver. Thinking ahead, I checked my canteen to see if it had any water. When I found it didn't, I picked up another water bottle and emptied its contents into the container. Twisting the cap back on, I looked around for anything else that could be useful. My eyes lit up when I spotted an instantly recognizable can. Growing hopeful, I picked it up, delighted when I found it hadn't been opened.

"I can't remember the last time I had soda," I said, listening to the fizz as I opened it. Drinking it slowly so I could savor it, I stepped back out of the store and started to head for the hospital, stopping whenever I came across any zeds in my way. There were a couple close calls, and I had to use an empty soda can that I had found on the ground to lure the zed away from my hiding spot one time.

By the time I finally reached the hospital, it was around five o'clock, though I wasn't sure since I didn't have a watch. Stepping through another broken window, I made my way through the rooms, taking sips of my soda as I searched through cupboards and drawers. I managed to find a few bandages, some painkillers, a morphine auto-injector, and surprisingly some antibiotics. I saw a few blood bags on my way through, but they were useless since I didn't have any companions. Finishing off my soda, I placed the empty can in one of my pockets, knowing that it could be a useful distraction for zeds.

Running out of room to store my loot, I decided to go through one of the apartment complexes nearby to check for ammo for my Winchester and revolver. Making my way past groups of zeds, I had to hide a few times when the groups were too large to try and take on by myself, but I managed to make it to the complex without any major problems.

I was about to open the door when I heard a gunshot. It was loud enough that there was no way the zeds couldn't hear it. Diving to the side out of reflex, I landed in a bush and froze. The sound of footsteps reached my ears, and I turned my head to see a swarm of zeds storming into the apartments. More gunshots went off, though not as loud this time. When the stream of zombies stopped and I couldn't hear any more gunshots, I got to my knees and made my way inside, making the least amount of noise possible.

There was no telling whether the owner of the gun had won, or if the zeds did. Climbing up a set of stairs that was covered with the bodies of zeds, I started walking down a hallway with rooms on each side. Suddenly, I heard whispering coming from one of the rooms, so I pulled out my winchester in preparation. Peeking around the side of the door, I saw a bandit crouched next to a dead survivor, going through his bag and pulling out cans of food and other valuable resources. I ground my teeth and tightened my fists. Bandits pissed me off with the way they didn't give a shit about others, opting to kill on sight and loot the corpse.

"Fucking zombies," the bandit muttered, not noticing me as I took careful aim. I pulled the trigger, ending his life just as he ended the lives of god knows how many others.

"It's not enough that we have the dead to worry about," I said. "We have to worry about people who are willing to kill you on sight if it means that they survive."

Hiding the bodies to ensure nobody could get their gear, I searched through the room for ammunition. Luckily, some of the citizens in Berezino had been gun nuts, and I found a good deal of Winchester and revolver ammo. Stuffing as much as I could into my pockets and backpack, I exited the building and headed for the forest. Thankfully there were less zeds than when I had made my way into town. I was just passing by a broken down car when I heard a sniffle.

I instantly snapped to attention, pointing my Winchester at the rear driver's side window. The sniffling continued, and I hesitantly reached out a hand to open the door. Throwing the door open, my Winchester dropped from my hands as I gasped in shock. Laying on the floor in front of the seat was something that seemed like it belonged in a cartoon. Judging by its height and shape, I was guessing it was a pony, because you would have a very hard time fitting a horse into a car.

She (and I say she because the features pointed her out to be a mare) was shivering in fear, looking at me through what appeared to be a pair of shades. Her mane, comprised of cobalt blue and cyan stripes, was disheveled, as if she had been sleeping in the car. The part that struck me as the most strange was the horn sticking out of her head. There was no way that unicorns existed, but yet here was one sitting in the car in front of me.

"Um, are you okay?" I asked, taking a tentative step forward. The pony crawled back, trying to stay away from me, but she did look slightly less afraid.

"It's okay," I whispered, hoping that I was using a comforting tone. "I'm not going to hurt you."

"You're not one of them, are you?" she asked quietly, sending the rational part of my brain for a tailspin.

"You can talk?" I asked, flabbergasted.

"Yeah, now are you going to answer my question?" she asked, a little bit louder than her previous words.

"What do you mean, 'them'?"

"Those monsters that are walking around everywhere."

"No, I'm not one of them," I said. I reached my hand toward her, and she recoiled at first, but after a a few seconds she somehow grabbed my hand with her hoof and hauled herself out. I noticed that she had some sort of tattoo on each side or her flank. It looked to me like a backwards musical note, a double quaver if I remembered correctly.

"Do you have a name?" I asked, looking away from the tattoos.

"Vinyl Scratch."

"That's a nice name." I crouched down in front of her, my Winchester slung over my shoulder. "I'm David. Now we should probably get out of here. Come on, if we can get back to my camp in time, I can try cooking us some food." She seemed to like that idea, because no sooner had I started walking than I heard her walking beside me.

My campsite wasn't particularly close to Berezino, but I found that it was safer to be as far away as possible from towns. The spot I chose was luckily far enough so that the walkers weren't attracted when I lit a fire. The terrain itself wasn't very bad, mostly smooth with a few hills that we had to trudge over. In the hour it took to finally get within view of my tent, Vinyl was panting slightly, probably due to lack of energy. I sped up my pace a little, smiling as Vinyl tried to maneuver through the bushes that littered the area.

"Well, here we are," I said, sitting down next to the empty fireplace.

"Why do you live all the way out here?" Vinyl asked.

"The forest is really the only thing close to a safe haven these days, what with those walkers in the towns and cities," I replied, lighting up a fire and bringing out the food that I had.

"Where are we anyway?"

"We are in Chernarus, and the town we just left was Berezino. Place got hit by some sort of virus that turns everyone into fucking monsters." I scowled, remembering how my hometown of Elektro had been in the first few weeks. "May I ask how you got here?" She nodded and started recalling what had happened.

Apparently, she was a well known DJ (which kind of explained the shades and the name) where she came from, going by the alias DJ PON-3. She had been working at a club when another unicorn named Twilight Sparkle (I had to stifle a chuckle at the name because of how odd I thought it was) showed up with a few friends and started drinking, a lot. By the time she was done, Twilight could barely stand up. She had then offered to use a spell to increase the power on Vinyl's speakers. Vinyl had denied the offer, knowing that magic and alcohol don't mix well, but the persistent unicorn wouldn't take no for an answer. She cast it anyway, and the spell ended up sending Vinyl to Chernarus, where she hid in a car after being chased by zeds.

"Is there any way of getting back?" I asked, not particularly keen on letting this pony live in this hell.

"I don't know," Vinyl replied, shrugging. "Twilight might be able to think of something, when she sobers up that is."
I nodded, knowing that being drunk could seriously fuck up your train of thought. I had been quite the heavy drinker before the outbreak, which is one of the reasons that I'm surprised I'm alive today.

"So, what do you want to eat? I have pasta and beans, and I doubt you would like any form of meat."

"Yeah, no meat." She thought for a moment. "I guess I'll just have some pasta." Grabbing a pot out of my tent, I poured some water in it and set it over the fire, waiting for it to boil. Reaching back into the tent, I grabbed a piece of meat that I had cut off from a cow I had killed. I noticed Vinyl gag at the sight, so I hastily put it back.

"Sorry, I'll wait until you're taken care of." She tried to say something, but I shushed her with a finger, pouring in the can of pasta and stirring it with a spoon I had 'borrowed' from a house. We were both quiet as I let Vinyl eat, watching in curiosity as she used magic to levitate the bowl and spoon. She ate pretty fast, and soon the pot was empty

"Feeling better?" I asked when she finished, taking the bowl and spoon and setting them in the tent.

"Yeah," she replied, "thanks David."

"No problem. There's a blanket in the tent if you're tired." I had noticed her yawning, and I could only imagine how much sleep she had lost from the shock of being in this place. Yawning again in reply, she headed into the tent and I could hear her getting under the blanket.

I waited a few minutes to make sure she was asleep, then grabbed the piece of meat again. Popping it into the pot, I cooked it until it was as ready as it would ever be. Thankfully the leftover residue from the pasta gave the usually bland meat a bit of flavor, so I didn't feel like I was chewing on cardboard for a change, though I really wished that I had some salt. Eating it as I went, I got up and checked the forest around me, looking for any signs of other survivors or animals. The few bear traps I had set up had not been activated, and I almost stepped on one when I went to check them.

Assured that the area was clear, I decided to head back to Berezino while I could. Putting most of the supplies I had gathered into the tent, I jogged the hour long walk to Berezino. When I got there, I was hyperventilating slightly, but thankfully I had been athletic before the outbreak, so I had a large bit of stamina. I wanted nothing more than to take a nap at that moment, but it would have to wait.

Heading for the supermarket again, I dodged past zeds and shot those that didn't provide me any other options. I quickly gathered more food, mostly pasta and beans for Vinyl, and jogged in the direction of the apartments, slowing down whenever I spotted any zeds. The place was devoid of life except for flies, which buzzed annoyingly around the corpses of the zeds and survivors alike. Speeding through rooms, I found plenty of ammunition for my weapons, and even managed to find a map. I took it, even though it wouldn't be much use to since I can't tell exactly on a map where I am.

Stepping back outside, I froze when I saw a motorbike sitting next to a wall. Looking around, I cautiously walked over to it and looked it over. It was in perfect condition, and had a few jerry cans of fuel to go with it.

"Stop right there!" someone snapped. Instinctively, I threw my hands in the air.

"Turn around," the person demanded. Going slowly, I turned to face a man around my own age, with dark brown hair and bright blue eyes, wielding an M1911 and pointing it at my skull. "Are you friendly?" he asked.

"What?"

"I said, 'Are you friendly?'"

"Yes, I was just getting supplies when I saw your motorbike." Stepping around me, the man looked through the equipment on the motorbike, sighing in relief when he found it all there.

"Sorry, just can't be too sure anymore," he said, lowering his pistol and offering his hand.

"I understand," I replied, "I would've done the same."

"My name is Dmitri."

"I'm David. Where are you heading?"

"Airstrip near Krasnostav. Hoping to find some good gear while I'm up there."

"Good luck with that, and if you don't find what you need, you can always search Krasnostav or come back to Berezino."

"Yeah, this place has decent supplies, but I want one of the bigger guns that the airstrip might have."

"Okay, well like I said, good luck."

"You too David, it was very nice to meet you," Dmitri said, getting onto his motorbike. "Maybe we'll see each other again."

"Maybe we will," I replied, waving as he revved it up and drove away. By the time the walkers reached the spot where he drove away, I was already on my way back to the camp, cans of food and ammunition weighing me down. It took me about forty five minutes to get back since I was jogging. Vinyl was still asleep in the tent, so I counted myself lucky. If she had woken up to find me missing, there's no telling what she would've done.

Putting my new supplies in the tent, I sat next to the fire for a while, watching as the sky turned from blue to black as it switched from day to night. Chernarus was a bit chilly at nighttime, so I always tried to be back at my campsite before then, so that I don't risk getting a cold. The worst thing that could happen to a survivor was an infection, signaled by coughing that could potentially infect others. Luckily, I was more of a loner, so I didn't have to worry as much.

As I sat there, my mind wandered back to before the start of the infection. In those days, Chernarus had been a much better place to live in, with friendly neighbors and plenty of wilderness to explore. These days, neighbors were considered enemies until proven friendly, and the wilderness is where you had to live if you wanted any kind of peace.

I remembered the first few weeks of the outbreak, mass hysteria and people dying all over the place, turning into undead monsters that people began to call zeds. They kill any survivor they see, and once your dead, you come back as one of them. When it started, I had been living in Elektro, while my parents resided in Berezino. My first priority had been to make sure they were okay, but all I found when I got here was an army of undead monsters. I had lost most of my hope at that point, but I was still determined to survive. I gathered supplies, weapons and ammo, and anything else I would need to survive.

It's been almost a year now, and I'm still alive, scavenging from towns and cities all over the place, but I always come back here. It's like something draws me back toward Berezino, though I'm not sure if it's the general lack of bandits and other survivors, or the hope that my parents may still be out there, trying to survive like me.

Breathing a deep sigh, I decided to check my traps one last time before turning in for the night. Most of them were empty, though the last one I checked had managed to snag a rabbit. Gutting it with a hunting knife that I had found a few months ago, I put the small amount of meat in my coyote pack and headed back for the camp.

Peeking into the tent, I saw Vinyl sleeping soundly with her shades resting next to her. She was an obvious blanket hog because it was wrapped around her like a cocoon. Chuckling a bit to myself, I pulled my head back out and went to stomp out the fire. There was still a bit of burnable fuel left, so I wouldn't need to get as much wood as I usually had to every night. Walking around, I gathered up some sticks and chunks of wood for a fire tomorrow, opting to do it now rather than wait until the last minute.

Setting up a little pile next to the fire pit, I yawned and walked over to the tent, kicking off my boots as I did so. Crawling inside, I made the least amount of noise that I possibly could so I wouldn't wake Vinyl. When she didn't stir, I took off my coyote pack and set it in the corner, along with my winchester and revolver. Reaching into the pack, I grabbed a spare blanket and draped it over myself, thankful for the bit of warmth that it gave me.

I almost jumped when I felt Vinyl touch my arm. Looking over, I saw her mumbling in her sleep and wrapping her forelegs around my arm, hugging it closer to her. I smiled and left my arm where it was, knowing how easy it could be to wake someone when you remove something that they're clutching. I myself was a light sleeper, which is a definite advantage in this hell. Being able to wake up quickly can be the difference between life and death. Thinking about sleep was only making me more tired, and my eyes started to grow heavy as I looked at the ceiling of the tent. Letting them droop, I fell asleep with Vinyl still clinging to my arm.