• Published 12th Oct 2012
  • 1,077 Views, 16 Comments

A Fluttery Day: RotE Episode 5 - Dream Volt



Fluttershy has a nice day. Oh, and antlers.

  • ...
1
 16
 1,077

Rain

I was standing in the rain. Twilight and Pinkie hadn't come back. I found Dash easy enough, but she had to keep working. She should be back any moment, but it seems like this trip isn't going to happen. I should still wait at least a little longer. The door then opened behind me.

"Oh darling, really. No need to wait out there in the cold rain."

"It's okay Rarity. I like the rain."

"But if you stay out there you'll catch a cold."

"From rain?" I looked up. "That would be strange."

"What do you mean? Many a pony has…"

"But none of them were Pegasai, duh."

Dash dropped down between us, then walked inside, not bothering to wait for Rarity to move. Rarity backed up, Dash of course getting her wet. I sighed and walked inside, shaking my head.

"Rainbow Dash, that was very rude."

"Oh come, it's just a little water. She's not a pegasus, but it's no big deal."

"Now hold on here. Why does that matter?"

Twilight had come over, and rolled her eyes at that comment. I couldn't see Pinkie or Applejack, but could smell something wonderful wafting from the kitchen.

"Rarity, Pegasai are immune to nearly all the negative effects of weather. This includes rain in various ways. It can't even soak into their fur or wings."

"Yea, unlike birds we can keep going in the heaviest downpour and it doesn't matter. We can even fly in a snowstorm if we don't get wet." Said Dash

"Frost is very dangerous, but flying in a bad storm isn't really safe either. It's much harder to keep the airflow going and stay aloft even with…"

"Then how come I see you flying in the rain sometimes?"

"Well, I don't go very high."

"Hmmm, so Rainbow saying she has no need of winter wear is not an exaggeration?"

"Nah, high altitudes are really cold, Ponyville usually has really mild winters too. I mean maybe if I was flying though the mountains or whatever I would need something, but I'm a little more awesome than some pegasai I guess."

Rarity turned to me. "But wait, Fluttershy you…"

"I like the snuggly feeling of warm clothes. It's nice. Also we feel the cold almost as much as any pony, it just doesn't matter."

"Well, it looks like I should break out that book of rainy day activities. It looks like we aren't going anywhere for a while."

"How did you all get past me?" I then blinked. "Oh, that sounded far to accusatory, you didn't do anything wrong."

"Well Pinkie got me quite quickly." Said Rarity "I didn't see you here."

"They probably went in when you were talking to me." said Dash

Applejack then came out the kitchen, a plate full of cookies in her mouth. She set it down on the floor, then spit out the napkin she was using to hold the plate.

"And I reckon you didn't see us cause Twilight up and teleported us over here."

Twilight looked down. "Sorry AJ, I guess no matter how much I've improved just teleporting myself, I still need to work on teleporting others."

"It weren't too bad, but I'd prefer you practice on someone else."

"A fellow unicorn might make it easier. I seem to remember that book saying so. I still can't master the art so I'm not sure."

"If it's a motion sickness thing pegasai are immune to that to. We never get vertigo."

"Dash that's…" I then paused. "Oh, maybe I shouldn’t say?"

"Just go head and say it Fluttershy. Ain't gonna hurt nothing ah'm sure."

"I am pretty sure that's just you."

"Nah, that's not right."

"Actually you're both somewhat right I believe." Said Twilight. "Your ears do have a slightly different configuration which should lessen effects of sudden changes of orientation, but it shouldn’t eliminate it."

"So I'm just that awesome? Cool." Dash then smiled

"Oooo, I'll do it. I love that fizzy, fuzzy feeling."

Pinkie then bounced out of the kitchen, a basket of muffins on her head. I guess that is a pretty useful hat, but did she really bring it with her? Twilight smiled, then frowned, then blinked.

"You can feel teleport static and you like it?"

Pinkie nodded. "Yeppers. It's fun."

"Don't go asking about something which there ain't no answer sugarcube."

"Applejack can't be aware of what you mean, but I agree with her." Said Rarity "Just leave it be Twilight."

"It's probably some sea pony thing."

"Dash, the proper term is hippocampi, and mermare is also acceptable, but not sea pony. Though I think you might be right, even if Pinkie is still an earth pony."

"Er, you sure 'bout that. No offence, but Pinkie not being an earth pony explains a lot. Though being part pegasus woulda made more sense."

Pinkie giggled. "Oh, cause like father always said, you need to get your head out of the clouds?" She giggled again "Of coruse that was silly. There was only that one time I even had my head in the clouds."

"Girls, Pinkie is still an earth pony, just with a very high water affinity. Much like Dinky has a high air affinity because of her mother."

"Yea, that little one has started hanging out with the crusaders lately. Ain't all the time, but enough that Ditzy complained."

"Yea, Derpy is way overprotective."

Rarity smiled. "You think she's overprotective? Berry is an absolute horror. Personally I'm quite glad that her daughter has joined Twist in the belief that hanging out with the crusaders much is somewhat trying."

"They're such nice girls." I said "I worry about them being safe though."

"Yea, well Rarity and I talked it over and we figure it don't really matter too much whether we try and watch them or not."

"As bad as they seem at times, they rarely do anything truly dangerous." Rarity then laughed. "Furthermore Scootaloo seems to have mostly run out of ideas so things promise to be much calmer."

"Actually ah think some of the worst ideas came from Applebloom. Ah swear, sometimes it seems like that sister o mine ain't got a lick a sense."

Rarity and Applejack laughed. Pinkie was struggling with her hat, but then shrunk down and easily got it off. She now looked like a little filly again. It was so cute. Twilight then walked off, looking over the shelves. Dash sagged.

"Ah man, you weren't kidding?"

"It's just a book of ideas. If you have something better, just speak up."

"Well, you have big TV downstairs." Then Dash blinked. "Ooo, I bet with all that fancy stuff down there you have some video games too."

Twilight turned to Dash and rolled her eyes. "That stuff, is scientific equipment, and while I might be able to run a game on one of the computers, I don't have any."

"Why not. I mean I know there isn't some little box you can just plug into a TV to get games, you need some big expensive computer to…"

"Yes there is."

"Huh?"

"There is a box. It isn't especially small, but there is a game box. I forget the name but this pushy salesmare was trying to sell it to me."

"Oh man, I bet I've totally been missing out. I love the way the arcade games challenge you. I mean it's kinda weird standing in one place like that, but it's still plenty of exercise. Though I guess you can use the unicorn controller huh?"

"Yea, ah played one of them games in an arcade once. Was kinda fun. Those ones with the controlers on the floor make way more sense ta me. Ah mean the little stick thing is easy enough but pressing the buttons sure ain't."

"I like the dance games." Said Pinkie. "My favorite is Dance Dance Dancey Dance Dancer Dancealoution."

Twilight sighed. "Pinkie."

"Acutally that might be the name." Said Dash. "I think she has at least once extra dance in there, and there is some other word, but it's close."

"Oh." Twilight shook her head. "Forget that. We're trapped inside so we won't be going anywhere, unless you're all willing to be my guinea pigs as I practice long distance teleportation with a group."

"Oooo, guinea pig."

I blinked. There was now a only slightly oversized pink guinea pig where Pinkie used to be standing, or clearly still was. I wasn't the only one staring.

"Well that ain't never gonna get any less strange."

"Indeed." Added Rarity

"It's completely fascinating though, isn't it?" said Twillight

"It's sorta cool I guess."

"It's, neat."

Twilight then went back to searching her shelves. Spike didn't seem to be here. I wonder if he got caught in the rain? I hope Derpy didn't forget to post the weather schedule again. She's good at her job, but she can be so forgetful. And clumsy. Poor Twilight, that must have really hurt. I then walked over to Pinkie to get a closer look. I smiled.

"Awww, so adorable."

"Ugh, lets just do something. I'm bored."

"Then I know just what to do." Rarity smiled. "Makeovers."

Then a bag of cosmetics appeared in front of Rarity. Dash cringed. She was pretty, but never really took the time to even brush her hair. AJ once said something about it being lazyness, but it was a specific choice.

"Oh come on. Please princesses, save me from this fate."

"Really Rainbow, a little brushing will not…"

Then with a flash, Luna was in the room, looking around wide eyed. Then she smiled. Everypony else, including me, just stared.

"Wow, talk about service."

"You're all here, that's excellent. Okay, three of you…" Then she put one hoof to her chin. "No, that might be too many, I have the full choice, I can make do with two."

"Princess, what's going on?" said Twilight "Why are you what…"

"Hmmm, Pinkie, can you be stealthy? This is an extremely vital matter."

Pinkie was back to normal, saluting with one hoof, face strangely neutral. Dash laughed at the sight.

"Oh man Pinkie you…"

"Ready and willing mam. Just give the word." Said Pinkie with no hint of emotion

"That sounded so, serious." I said

"Okay, Dash and Rarity, yes, speed and persuasion, and if Pinkie doesn't look like a pony then a full three isn't that suspicious. That will work."

Dash pumped a hoof and smiled. "Yes. No makeover for me."

"I am coming with you or did you not notice…"

"But clearly we won't have time for a makeover."

"She's right. Goodbye everypony."

Luna briefly waved, and then she was gone, along with Dash, Pinkie and Rarity. Twilight just stood there blinking. Applejack looked over to Twilgiht.

"Well I reckon that was important, but I don't get why she didn't take Twilight. Seems like any sort of jam she would be something useful in."

"I'm, sure she had some reason. I guess I should find that book."

"Ah reckon. I ain't keen to walk home in the rain, or go teleportin' anywhere."

"It's perfectly nice here."

"Okay then. One moment."

I wondered if the others were safe. Hopefully it's nothing dangerous, and just urgent. That would be nice. Twilight went back to looking for the book. I sat there, just waiting patiently. I'm sure the ideas from the book would be great fun.