• Published 12th Oct 2012
  • 1,077 Views, 16 Comments

A Fluttery Day: RotE Episode 5 - Dream Volt



Fluttershy has a nice day. Oh, and antlers.

  • ...
1
 16
 1,077

Magic

Moving things with my magic was strange. Just the idea that my magic could do anything other than help me fly was strange, but now it can do all sorts of things with plants and animals, but I'm starting to get used to that. Now though, I can move things around, just by focusing and wanting them too. My antlers still feel weird too. I wish I could just put the hair clip back on and forget about all of this. Rarity was giving me a look again, so I smiled as big as I could, but she shook her head and sighed. We were up in her studio, and I was floating around a lot of needles.

"Now darling, I know you are having trouble with all this, but that's no excuse not to develop your abilities."

"I'm sorry. I just, well…"

"I know, darling, I know. Still, a proper lady must always seek to better herself. Like fashion even if you think you are the top of your game, there is always something else you can do to keep things fresh."

"Uh, okay."

"Hmm, maybe that isn't quite the best example for why a pony should improve themselves, but the idea is the same. Now, get ready to catch this."

I blinked. Then the dummy soared into my line of veiw. I didn't try to jump after it like last time, and caught it with my magic. It wasn't really much harder to lift than the needles. Twilight told me it's because with magic until you start pushing your limits nothing is any heavier than any other thing. She also explained how I can tell how heavy something feels, but I forgot that part. Rarity was smiling at me, and I smiled back.

"Oh very good. Now I know you aren't into the idea in general, but haven't our training sessions together been great fun."

"They have been very, nice."

"Really? Nice is al you can say?"

"I'm sorry, but I just, well. Magic is strange." I then blinked. "Oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean it like that."

Rarity waved a hoof. "Oh it's no matter. Though I enjoyed it a great deal, I thought flying was rather odd at first too. It only makes sense you are going though a similar phase."

"Um, you're probably right. I think."

Rarity sighed. "You did tell me how useful it is when feeding your animals right?"

"Yes, it's so helpful, and makes things much faster." I looked down. "But I would still do it the old way if you and Twilight didn't insist."

"Yes, isn't it wonderful. Just think how amazing it will be once you start learning real spells. I can't wait to…"

I squeaked, and stepped backwards. Everything fell except the dummy, Rarity catching it with her magic. She sighed. I smiled and she shook her head in response.

"I'm sorry. It's just I panicked and dropped everything and…"

"Go no further. I still have no idea why you are so against this sort of thing, but no matter. As long as you master this we can leave things alone."

"Okay." I smiled, then tilted my head. "Wait, why do I have to master this again?"

"Spark horn dear. Magic can build up in a horn, or in your case antlers, if you don’t let it flow regularly. You have to do something with it or there can be problems."

"Really?"

"Yes, though not much is required to clear any build up, just a little telekenesis here and there is plenty. Also it teaches magic control. Twilight thinks it would help you controlling all your magic as well as unicorn magic, or possibly more accurately deer."

"Oh. Uh, okay. I guess that means that I should pick up all these needles and…"

"No. Lets do something other than simple practice. I think you are making wonderful progress, so I think we can try something more practical, even if some more exercises would be a bit faster."

Rarity then picked up all the needles with her magic and stuck them back into a pincushion. She made it look so effortless. In fact, a lot of what Rarity did looked so effortless. She said I was elegant and graceful but I still don't think I was half as elegant as she is. I'll never understand why Photo Finish thought I was more beautiful than Rarity. She explained it in great deal once but it didn't make any sense why she thought I was such an amazing model to photograph.

"Hmmm, yes, this should do nicely."

"What should…."

I then let our a little yelp when something dropped in front of me. I then realized it was just a few bolts of cloth. I smiled. Rarity shook her head.

"Really darling, you need not be so jumpy all the time. Ponyville is a safe place."

"But Derpy dropped all that…"

"A Random fluke."

"And there was that time with Pinkie and those goats."

"Unlikely to be repeated, and only those poor gentlegoats themselves were injured. At the very least when inside you have…"

"Scootaloo went right past me after she smashed through Bon Bon's storefront. If I was just a little more to the left I would have been sent to the hospital instead."

"Oh it was a minor injury really and the crusaders…" Rarity paused, then sighed. "Won't do exactly the same sort of thing again. And now I am suddenly doubting this myself. A great deal of chaos does sweep the town, doesn't it?"

"So, what are we doing?"

"We are making you a dress. I have the design in mind, and know you can follow one of my designs with proper precision. Now lets see if you can do the same without using your hooves."

I gasped. "You mean using my magic but…"

"I think it will work. If not Twilight and I found a wonderful little spell that repairs the weave of cloth, so I can simply remove the stitching and start over. Or if you're willing you can try again yourself."

"This, could be fun, but are you really sure that…"

"Darling. I treasure my gala dress for many reasons, despite the way that night turned out, but most of all because you and the others put it together. I can also tell that most of the stitching being smooth delicate loops means you did most of the work yourself."

"Oh I wouldn't say that. All of us…"

She rolled her eyes. "I could see all of the others as well. Applejack's was rugged but uneven. Good for repairs on the farm I'm sure, but not high fashion. Dash's was of course rushed, but surprisingly decent."

"I convinced her that the Wonderbolt…"

Then I suddenly stopped and smiled. Rarity looked at me. I shouldn't tell her about Dash having me repair her Wonderbolt plushies. She loves them so much, but she seems a little embarrassed about still wearing them out. I think it's sweet. I've always found it very comforting to have some animal, plush or otherwise, between my hooves when I sleep. Dash probably didn't want anypony knowing though.

Rarity smiled. "Ah, I see now. Dash has a Wonderbolt costume, doesn't she?"

"Yes, but…" Then I stopped.

"Say no more. Hmm, where was I? Oh yes. The overly precise stitching obviously had to be Twilight, meaning Pinkie is my only friend that has no skill whatsoever sewing. Though somehow it does stay together, regardless of how it looks."

"We made sure to put her on the areas that wouldn't show at all once we saw how messy it looked. It was really hard to get her stitching out though."

"Yes, and to return to my point. Each stitch is as obvious a sign of your personality as can be, and also the care put into your work, and that is why I love it so."

"So even if I mess up, you'd keep it?"

"If it was for me, but of course. But this is not for me. It is a design for you. Now, let us begin. I have the sketch right here."

I stood there while Rarity turned and looked over a board filled with sketches. I was about to ask her why she made me the dress, but suddenly I knew. It was the antlers. Somehow they inspired her and she designed something wonderful that would accent them and make me look as lovely as possible.

"Uh, Rarity. I don't want to be mean, but if this is what I think it is, I don't really want it."

"What do you mean by that?"

"I mean it has to do with the antlers, doesn't it? Green, a few shades of brown, including one that matches my antlers. I'd really rather…" I stopped "I mean it will be amazing but well, I…"

"You what dear? You've done so well so far. What is the problem?"

"I don't like them. They're useful, but they look strange, and feel stranger."

"Come now they are a part of you. You should accept them."

"They don't have to be."

I then used my magic to take the butterfly clip off a table across the room and clip it to my mane. In an instant I almost felt normal again, but not quite. I then noticed Rarity frowning. I teared up.

"Oh, I'm so sorry Rarity. I know I shouldn’t be such a cry baby, and this doesn't bother you just like the others, but it scares me so much. I don't know what to do."

"Although I freely admit I went a great deal overboard, I am right there with the other girls in accepting…" Then Rarity blinked. "This isn't about the antlers, is it?"

"It is, but well maybe…" I looked down. "Never mind. Forget I said anything. I'll stop bothering you."

I was halfway to the window before I heard her shout stop. I turned around to see Rarity standing there with a blank look on her face. I smiled.

"Really Rarity, it's not important. Nothing worth worrying about."

"Nothing? I doubt that. Fluttershy what exactly…"

I smiled so big it hurt. "I was just, over reacting. You know me. Afraid of my own shadow and all. Don't worry about it, please. See you later Rarity."

I then flew out the window hyperventilating. I can't tell her. She'd worry, and then Twilight would start to worry, and that would worry Applejack, and then Dash and Pinkie might even get worried with everypony else worried. It's better this way. I mean it doesn't bother any of them, so I shouldn't bother any of them with it.